User Tag List

Thread: Help me out here :)

Entense Supporter

Help me out here :)

Okay here is my deal basically, I want you guys to help me figure out the cost and if it will be worth it in the end.

Right now I have a 1998 Monte Carlo with a salvaged title, probably worth $2000.

I know a guy who has a '96 civic that was stolen and wrecked, the body is good however but it needs a new engine/exhaust/transmission. It had an automatic transmission in before it was wrecked. This is what I want to do, and I think I found 1 of the things I want.

What is a reasonable price for the car as it is? He's asking $1000 or best offer. So i'm getting I can get him down to around $650-$750?

Now, like I said before it has had an automatic tranmission, I want to put a manual in there but it's not necessary. What I want to know about this is will it cost me more money to put a manual in there (seeing as I have to put a shift knob and a clutch pedal and stuff in there) or will it be cheaper or around the same price?

I found the engine I want:

96-00 (SiR-2) B16A Engine
    Swap: $3000.00. W/LSD $3300.00 -Both out of stock
    1600cc (1.6L) DOHC Vtec engine.
    170hp/113trq, 10.4 compression ratio. (U.S. version has 160hp and 10.2 cr.)
    Hydro tranny type.
    P30 OBD-1 or OBD-2 ECU equipped.
    Inquire within for LSD equipped trans. (not all trans are LSD equipped).
    U.S. version of this engine is available, also. Please specify which year type you need (OBD-1/2).
    First off, what is LSD? I notice it's more expensive but I have no clue what it is. Will this engine come with a radiator and all that stuff? The site where I found it is here: http://www.jaydm.com/jdm.htm

I need you guys to help me find a transmission/new exhaust too at a reasonable price.

Thanks

Edit: Think I found a tranmission for it?

The Price Is: $1493.00
    Core Deposit For This Unit Is: $225.00
    Skid Deposit For This Unit Is: $125.00
    Sold On An Exchange Basis w/Jasper Receiving Old Unit As A Core.
    Jasper Remanufactured Transmission. Is this good?

http://www.jasperengines.com/index.html

LSD if its what I am thinking, is a limited slip diferential. Most likley it will not come with a radiator. You would most likley need a alternator as well, because I doubt that would come with it, but I could be wrong on htat.

Most 'complete' swaps come with the following:

Engine (block and head)
    Transmission (clutch, flywheel, etc)
    intake manifold/throttlebody
    starter
    distributor
    alternator
    fuel rail

sometimes you end up with:

cut wiring harness (no good anyways if it's a JDM swap, unless you re-pin or save the plugs)
    axles
    exhaust manifold
    motor mounts (again, useless if it's a JDM engine)

you would need a OBD-1 ECU I believe, as well as engine parts (specifically the distributor and fuel injection system)

Check out these places, as I know them to be

A) trustworthy
    B) pretty decently priced

www.soko.com
    www.nippon-motors.com
    www.jspecjdm.net

And again, just about every swap they sell comes with a tranny, no need to go out and price on seperately.

Let me know if/when you get it, because there's a few things you want to do with an imported engine before you tackle the swap.... pretty much that goes for any engine swap.

Entense Supporter
    I talked to him at school today. It has no windshield or rims/tires either now. So I mean how much money do you think i'm looking at here? Is it just going to be better for me to buy a civic instead of rebuilding this shit?

I have lots of Seniority mikerzt's Avatar
    LSD = Limited Slip Differential

i dont know about buying a car that has a messedup title, it wouldn't be a problem for you but it sure is a problem for the insurance company. Might wanna check to see how much they'll be covering your ass for before you buy it. $1,000....I wouldn't buy it.

Originally posted by morph311
    I talked to him at school today. It has no windshield or rims/tires either now. So I mean how much money do you think i'm looking at here? Is it just going to be better for me to buy a civic instead of rebuilding this shit?
    if you wanted it....i say get it from him for $600. first, its fucked. the title is scrap. No windshield. no rims/tires now. All you really want to worry about is the body and the frame. Other then that, it should be alright if you don't mind the insurance cost.

Somewhat Poster
    You might as well get a new civic, why is it messing rims/tires and a windshield?

Anyway, I did an engine swap, it's a complete bitch to install and I ended up selling the car 3 months down the line. Don't get a engine swap unless your doing performance mods or in your case, your buying a car without an engine. Also if this is your first crack at doing anything engine related, I suggest you take it to a professional for install. Again, in your case you didn't know what LSD stood for (Not being an ass here, it's not a bad thing, most people who arent with cars would not know) so I do suggest you let someone else do the job.
    - Ben

Entense Supporter
    Originally posted by sikz
    You might as well get a new civic, why is it messing rims/tires and a windshield?

Anyway, I did an engine swap, it's a complete bitch to install and I ended up selling the car 3 months down the line. Don't get a engine swap unless your doing performance mods or in your case, your buying a car without an engine. Also if this is your first crack at doing anything engine related, I suggest you take it to a professional for install. Again, in your case you didn't know what LSD stood for (Not being an ass here, it's not a bad thing, most people who arent with cars would not know) so I do suggest you let someone else do the job.
    Oh I definately didn't plan on doing it myself. I'd be lost.

I have lots of Seniority mikerzt's Avatar

if you need more info, then call up my buddy's shop. Horsepower freak.

www.horsepowerfreak.com i dont have their phone with me right now but it should be listed on there. if you need anything, let me know and ill run down to their shop. its like 4 blocks from my place.

Originally posted by sikz
    YAnyway, I did an engine swap, it's a complete bitch to install and I ended up selling the car 3 months down the line. Don't get a engine swap unless your doing performance mods or in your case, your buying a car without an engine

Depends on the engine. And more than anything, it depends on how well prepared you are to DO the swap. Poor preparation = bitch swap.

My very first swap (b16a into ef chassis) was done in 2 days, running and everything. And that was with no prior experience with engine work, period.

If you're not mechanically inclined, don't do it. Have a shop do it then. I used to install engines for a buddy's business a couple years ago, and swap installation is generally reasonably priced....

Not necessarily. There's step by step guides for just about every swap imaginable. You'll save yourself money in the long run, and learn a whole hell of alot about your car. I always suggest that people try it themselves first.

Somewhat Poster
    If you have nooo idea what your doing, I highly suggest you get a car where theres no assembly required. Building a car isnt as easy as reading the directions and doing as it says, it takes experience and a lot of time. And... a lot of time = a lot of money. Im talking thousands of dollars here when your all done. And hours of headaches if you do something wrong. In the end youd end up paying someone a retarded amount of money to built a nice car for you... when you could have bought an intact car to begin with.

I say, great ideas, but look for a car that wont require you to dump too much money into it.

Without even finishing what you wrote I will have to say dont do it. People rarely ever, ever get cars in to "immaculate condition" There will be a money issue, or a parts issue, or something of that nature, and before I went trading in a car that runs for a car missing 3 peices that identify it as a car I would really think on it.

Plus hanging a clutch is a bitch.

Originally posted by Maverik
    If you have nooo idea what your doing, I highly suggest you get a car where theres no assembly required. Building a car isnt as easy as reading the directions and doing as it says, it takes experience and a lot of time. And... a lot of time = a lot of money. Im talking thousands of dollars here when your all done. And hours of headaches if you do something wrong. In the end youd end up paying someone a retarded amount of money to built a nice car for you... when you could have bought an intact car to begin with.

I say, great ideas, but look for a car that wont require you to dump too much money into it.

A Honda engine swap is incredibly easy, there's more than enough information for a first timer to swap an engine in in less than 2 days and have it up and running with no problems, the key to everything is being prepared...

Originally posted by iso
    Plus hanging a clutch is a bitch.

?

Quite possibly one of the easiest things to do on a car....

Clutch alignment tool:pressure plate bolted on:re-bolt tranny to block

cake.

New Bitch
    Most of my friends buy their JDM engines from http://www.bestjapaneseengines.com/ and they haven't had a problem. I would recommend them !