User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sportsmen's Thread

Somewhat Poster
    Originally posted by Chubbs
    When u guys say 6 point u mean 3 tines on each side right? Cuz we just call that a 3 point and that confused me for a bit there.
    yes, but it is only used for "typical" bucks (ones that hava a normal, symetrical rack), whereas "non-typical" (an abnormal or asymetrical rack) you would give the total number and indicate that it was non typical- so you might have an odd number, further confusing our friends up north. if you were to tell me that you got a three point buck, i would assume that is was a non-typical spike, one with possibly a broken brow tine or a stub off of the main beam.

I preferr to use B&C scoring when desciribing a rack... it just sounds a damnsight more impressive.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally. W. C. Fields

Ok, quick story:

Last Sunday I was out for a ride with my best horse. I let him have his head and we went for a little run. All of a sudden three doe popped out of a hollow and took off running. Two broke left and went into the brush. One crossed the trail and went to the right down over the ridge. Then a beautiful buck leapt out in front of me. A full 8-pointer. I gigged my horse and we set off down the trail in pursuit of him. I closed the gap to about 15 yards, pulled my .45 Vaquero, aimed and....let him go.

Alas, it was but a few hours before the official opening of buck season. I figured I had the next two weeks to find him again.

Fast forward one week.

So I'm out horseback riding. Riding down the same trail. The very same trail that I've been hunting all week with no signs of anything. When all of a sudden the same damn buck comes running by with two doe trailing along.

This bastard has to know about 'No Hunting on Sundays'. I swear I'm gonna kill him tomorrow.

Pimpin Member
    Originally posted by C0WB0Y
    I closed the gap to about 15 yards, pulled my .45 Vaquero, aimed and....let him go.

This bastard has to know about 'No Hunting on Sundays'. I swear I'm gonna kill him tomorrow.
    thats intense, taking a buck from horseback.......

hahah i hate that. They always stand right in the middle of the farmers feilds for me, right across from the big clearcut where they're legal.

One of my judo students caught one hellova shark the other day while surf fishing on Assateague Island. This is a 7'3" Sand Tiger shark. It's estimated weight is around 250lbs.

^Another smaller shark.

And this is where I do most of my surfing. Scary...

Bumpity-bump....

If I were a poacher, I would have had the best day of deer hunting ever.

I saddled up my horse and went for a ride in the late afternoon today. I let him stretch out for a short gallop and then pulled him up before we got to the top of a ridgeline. Down below me on this trail were three doe.

I slid my .45 out of the holster, took careful aim and whispered to myself, "Bang...bang, bang." Just holdin'em in my sights is exciting. It was a few moments before they noticed our presence and moved off into the brush.

We continued through the fields, past the cattle and into the forrest on the other side of the ranch. As soon as we entered the treeline, two more deer came srurrying past us. As always, I snatched my weapon and leveled it for a clean shot. "Bang, bang."

My horse was feeling a bit antsy, so I gave him his head and let him loose for a good half-mile run along the lakeside. As we rounded a bend, we flushed out three more deer. They took off running down the side of the dirt road and my horse set in after them. We had a good deal of momentum on them and quickly overtook the lead deer. We swept past them, jumped a fallen log and then leapt over a stream. I pulled up as quickly as I could, but the deer had already headed west by then.

We slowed up to a walk and headed up another ridgeline. As we approached the summit, three more deer crashed through the underbrush from above us, crossed the trail not more than 20 yards ahead and continued down the hill. A fourth deer circled a bit wider and trailed after the others.

Then I saw something amazing. The biggest herd I have ever seen on the ranch materialized right before me. One after another, the deer came scampering across the trail. Six, nine, ten, twleve...at least sixteen or so of them, doe, bucks & yearlings came rushing past me. I aimed at the first half-dozen or so, but then just sat in awe and watched them all run right past me not more than about 30 yards ahead.

Finally, I headed towards the quarry and saw about four or five more tails flash through the brush. Amazing...just an absolutely amazing afternoon. If only I could have a day like that during deer season.

Holy shit I rule!
    added to the cowboy chronicles...

very nice read by the way

Oh, this thread got Chronicled a-ways back. But thanks for the compliment.

Holy shit I rule!
    Oh, this thread got Chronicled a-ways back. But thanks for the compliment.
    damnit.. forgot...

what's the CCC members?

C0WB0Y'S Cool Club....silly, I know. Yet everyone still wants in. Go figure.

Holy shit I rule!
    Yet everyone still wants in.
    Can you fit one more in there...

Diztorted (Director of New Bitch Conversion)

I like your style, but you gotta do something special to earn a spot. I can't be givin' it out just because I like you.

Holy shit I rule!
    I like your style, but you gotta do something special to earn a spot. I can't be givin' it out just because I like you.
    fine then, i'll challenge you to something you're good at... u name it

Originally posted by Diztorted
    fine then, i'll challenge you to something you're good at... u name it
    Quickdraw. I'm the former State Champ.

Holy shit I rule!
    Quickdraw. I'm the former State Champ.
    mspaint or photoshop..

just kidding... ok, six shooters?

have one of my own you know...

Good. Post a video of your fastest draw time and I'll post a video clip of mine.

I'm a bit out of practice, so I'll probally only be hitting the .40 second mark.

Holy shit I rule!
    don't got one...

I'll probally only be hitting the .40 second mark.
    hot damn... nevermind...

Bad-ass Member
    My kickass experience:

so I was out with my uncle in pittsburgh, pa. I was driving around with him looking for a good spot to camp, then I saw a doe not less than 100 meters away in the forest below (it was at an angle of about 35 degrees below where I was driving). So I popped out of the truck, caught the doe on open sight, fired and got it right in the heart on the first shot

BUMP

It's deer season boys. Who's gettin' ready to head out into the wilderness?

I spent the evening mounting and sighting in my new Bushnell 3x9 scope for my Winchester Model 94.

I'm takin' the Big Buck this season!!!

Double Bump

Anyone else going out this weekend???

I have lots of Seniority ArcAngel9's Avatar
    Ill be going out monday,
    But on another note, about previous kills, im proud of my 11 pointer with a 21 inch spread, it only scored around 125 though, it was the first deer I ever got.

My Flickr EF First Name Crew