User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sportsmen's Thread

Sportsmen's Thread

*This thread is dedicated to EF Sportsmen. Please feel free to add anything at all about your hunting and fishing experiences.*

So I just got back from hunting. I spent the week hunting with my grandfather as usual. I passed on two doe and took a long shot at a 6 point buck. He went down hard, but then jumped up and took off towards my Grandpa's position. I alerted him on the radio and then heard another shot ring out. Grandpa dusted him with a clean neck shot. Upon closer inspection, I found that I did hit the buck on my first shot. Unfortunately, I my shot smashed him at the base of his right antler and broke it off. The concussion from the impact must have knocked him down. Well, I let my Grandpa tag this one. I'm still waiting for my 12 pointer.

On Probation
    i helped my boy and his old man clean a very nice.. 210 i think? pound 6point. it was massive for down here. they're going to mount that sonnuvabitch and hang it over the fireplace

210??? Goddamn that's a big-ass buck. I thought the one we shot was big and he was only about 150lb before we gutted him. Congrats to your friends.

I don't hunt much, but what hunting I have done I have really liked. I got a chance to go duck hunting with my dad and a couple of his friends down near St. Charles, Arkansas (it's a little way east of Stuttgart) one weekend last January. We only got 6 ducks the whole weekend, but I still had a great time. Getting out to the blind and watching ducks and geese fly over as the sun was rising was one of the neatest experiences I have ever had.
    webspace done got deleted.

You get any of them yourself?

On Probation
    Originally posted by C0WB0Y
    210??? Goddamn that's a big-ass buck. I thought the one we shot was big and he was only about 150lb before we gutted him. Congrats to your friends.
    winging it; really not a hunter myself. i'll probably eat that, but i'm pretty sure it was 2xx, will find out. he just called, said he killed a monumental buck and i should swing by and have a few beers and help clean it. so i did.

but yeah, it was huge.

called him. 140, lol.. don't know where i got 210 was
    shame on me

I dont hunt much but I do shoot skeet quite often. After going on a trip to a wrestling camp in Virginia we stopped and went skeet shooting with some local authorities and I hit 38/45 my first time ever. I got back home and a week later purchased my first gun: a Remington 870 Express. We also had a old S&W Model 1000 that we got repaired and I use that too. The nearest place is about 45 miles away so I dont get out as much as i'd like to, but I have a great time when I do.

I have lots of Seniority mikerzt's Avatar
    Originally posted by aur0r
    I dont hunt much but I do shoot skeet quite often. After going on a trip to a wrestling camp in Virginia we stopped and went skeet shooting with some local authorities and I hit 38/45 my first time ever. I got back home and a week later purchased my first gun: a Remington 870 Express. We also had a old S&W Model 1000 that we got repaired and I use that too. The nearest place is about 45 miles away so I dont get out as much as i'd like to, but I have a great time when I do.

skeet skeet skeet

ive always wanted to go hunting. my neighbor next door is part of some indian tribe so he goes when the season is open. he'll go hunt bears, deers, elks, rabbits or w/e.

ive been going hunting with my dad since i could walk. got my first shotgun when i was like 11 or so (870 20ga.) and would go goose/duck hunting all the time. after a while we got tired of getting up early to go sit in the mud so we started hunting doves more. i eventualy got a benelli m1 12 ga., pretty fucking badass. we go quail hunting just south of san antonio every now and then.

as far as deer hunting goes, we used to have a place in 'woodville' (about 2 hours north of houston) and i killed a few does off of it, no bucks . i have killed a couple nice bucks off the place we go quail hunting though.

[B] *Unfortunately, I my shot smashed him at the base of his right antler and broke it off. The concussion from the impact must have knocked him down.
    damn going for a headshot on a buck, thats confidence. i would typicaly aim for the heart if it was a buck and only went for the head if it was a doe or bore. and thats crazy about shooting his antler off. reminds me of a time this guy on our lease was trying to shoot a doe in the head... he pulled low and shot its jaw off, fucking nuts.

I dont hunt much but I do shoot skeet quite often.
    shooting skeet is always fun, i used todo it at least twice a week (i used to work at a skeet range).
    Originally posted by APinkFloyd
    Jamgunner?! More like JamITINUNDERAGEGIRLS!!!
    Originally posted by pachood
    if it has to do with a pirate, a sailor, or anything of the such, im all for it.
    WII ME BITCHES: 5789 9551 3029 8344

1.) Excellent shooting

2.) Try sporting clays. It's way better than skeet. It's kinda like golf with a little more *BANG*.

3.) The 870 is the Grandaddy of shotguns. Good choice.

Entense Supporter
    I went fishing once.

Originally posted by Wyndex
    I went fishing once.
    ...and???

(Feel free to make up a 'Cowboy Version' if that's all you got.)

1.) Excellent shooting

2.) Try sporting clays. It's way better than skeet. It's kinda like golf with a little more *BANG*.

3.) The 870 is the Grandaddy of shotguns. Good choice.
    I used to shoot on our school's trap team. I wasn't a great shooter (70-75/100 was my normal score) so I wasn't on the first squad, but it was still a lot of fun. Our first squad placed either 2nd or 3rd in the country at the grand american two years ago among school programs - I don't remember where their overall standing was.

My gun is also a remington 870 express, mine's a super magnum. I'm looking at getting a shorter barrel for trap, though - I used to shoot 20-23/25 when I used one of my coach's guns (an 870 with a 26 inch barrel), and now when I shoot mine it feels like there's a brick hanging off the front.

edit: also about the duck hunt - I'm not positive but I think I nailed one of the ducks (a mallard drake), plus I had to rake one on the water cause it was trying to swim under. We didn't really worry much about who got what (since we shot so few).

Originally posted by diggoryvenn
    I used to shoot on our school's trap team. I wasn't a great shooter (70-75/100 was my normal score) so I wasn't on the first squad, but it was still a lot of fun. Our first squad placed either 2nd or 3rd in the country at the grand american two years ago among school programs - I don't remember where their overall standing was.

My gun is also a remington 870 express, mine's a super magnum. I'm looking at getting a shorter barrel for trap, though - I used to shoot 20-23/25 when I used one of my coach's guns (an 870 with a 26 inch barrel), and now when I shoot mine it feels like there's a brick hanging off the front.

We didn't have a trap team. But I was an officer on the Penn State Rifle Team. "And I can put a round through a flea's ass at 300 meters." I'd like to shoot more clays in the future. My buddy took me out to shoot sporting clays awhile back and I've been hooked ever since. I'd like to get a Weatherby over/under, but then again , who wouldn't?

We didn't have a trap team. But I was an officer on the Penn State Rifle Team. "And I can put a round through a flea's ass at 300 meters." I'd like to shoot more clays in the future. My buddy took me out to shoot sporting clays awhile back and I've been hooked ever since. I'd like to get a Weatherby over/under, but then again , who wouldn't?
    Yeah seriously. I need to hit my dad up for a new gun anyway - I don't really have anything else I want for Christmas, and he got my little brothers new guns recently (they're both in middle school and just getting started shooting trap/skeet). I really want to get a benelli super black eagle; my dad's friend let me shoot one of his when we were duck hunting and that gun was amazing. Of course I also know there is no way in hell my dad would spend that much on a gun for me, so I figure I'll just wait till I'm out of college and pick one up.

Somewhat Poster
    I shot a field dressed 83lb'er this past weekend. I love Venision veal, i shoot for the spots! older male deer is tough and gamey. fuck a horn, they taste like shit.

dad got a FIDO deer during black powder season... 68lb feild dressed. we ate that thing for thanksgiving...OMG how tender... how juicy... how fucked up that the butcher wrote "baby deer" on every package!!!
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally. W. C. Fields

Master of Posting
    fishing is awesome..i usually go up to bishop/mammoth CA and go down to a few different places and just fish for a week..i dont really have any good stories though =/ next time i go maybe something exciting will happen though..as for hunting ive always wanted to go..but no friends or family are really into it..so thats not going to be happening soon..

Originally posted by Yensid
    I shot a field dressed 83lb'er this past weekend. I love Venision veal, i shoot for the spots! older male deer is tough and gamey. fuck a horn, they taste like shit.

dad got a FIDO deer during black powder season... 68lb feild dressed. we ate that thing for thanksgiving...OMG how tender... how juicy... how fucked up that the butcher wrote "baby deer" on every package!!!

I'm really anti-Maryland hunting. It seems everyone down there hunts over bait. It isn't all that sporting to drop a big pile of corn in the middle of a field for a month and lure them in like that.

Somewhat Poster
    i guess its how you look at it. if you are hunting simply for the sport of the kill and a trophy (and i have no problem with that mind you, as long as the meat doent go to waste) then hunting over bait is wrong, it removes the sport from the occasion.

now if like i do, you look at hunting the same way you look at fishing, its a harvest for a resource, in this case Venison. I dont fish with an unbaited hook, do you? we have a REAL problem down her on the Eastern shore of maryland... an overpopulation of deer. i hunt on a farm by the request of the landowner. i ONLY shoot does, as this helps to control the population better than taking bucks. i want no trophies, only meat and to do my part to control the population. the thrill of the hunt is secondary, for me (but it is there if its the last day of the season, my freezer is empty and a 12 pointer steps out like what happened to me last year.)
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally. W. C. Fields

As a fellow Eastern Shore resident, I understand the deer overpopulation issue. But with so many of them running around, who needs bait? And yes, I still look at it as more of a sport and less of a 'dinner plate' issue. I like trophy bucks. I can always bag a doe at the end of the season if I really need one. I also know a few guys who can 'find' one for me outta season.