User Tag List

Thread: eurail

Entensity Vet

eurail

Wuttup, im trying to plan a trip to europe.

I was thinken about getting a eurail pass and just going from country to country.

On the eurail website it shows a map with diffrent dots which i assume indicate stations where u can take off from and land at.

My question is that how it works.

if i buy a eurail pass and start in dublin can i shoot over to london at my leisure, then from there go to amsterdam.

The eurail im thinking about buying is a 15 day travel pass that has to be used within a 2 month period.

so i was planning on going from

Dublin
    to
    Londo
    to
    Amsterdam
    to berlin

and alot of other shit that i dont need to list.

so am i right can i just hop on the train whenever and go to my next destination or is it more than that. some 1 help me figure it out.

Entense Supporter
    I did a rail aroun d europe for three months not too long ago.

first a problem is England is not a part of the eurorail system. they have their own called britrail. The prime minister before Blair (Margret Thacter I think its spelled) privatized the whole rail system so now its expensive and a pain in the ass. really if you plan properly it would be cheaper to fly from place to place.

but yea there are a couple different types of passes, but the one I got was 15 days of rail travel in a 2 month period. you want to use one of the days you just show the pass to the people at the train station and get the ticket and go. If you travel on a day that is a use of one of the days. (obviously)

I did not go from Ireland to england, but when going from England to France there was a seperate company that did that (the name of which I forget at the moment) so I don't know if the pass counts for Ireland to England.

its really that basic, with the only issue being rail travel in and through England.
    I miss Mike and Jose

Entensity Vet
    Originally posted by Wklyver
    I did a rail aroun d europe for three months not too long ago.

first a problem is England is not a part of the eurorail system. they have their own called britrail. The prime minister before Blair (Margret Thacter I think its spelled) privatized the whole rail system so now its expensive and a pain in the ass. really if you plan properly it would be cheaper to fly from place to place.

but yea there are a couple different types of passes, but the one I got was 15 days of rail travel in a 2 month period. you want to use one of the days you just show the pass to the people at the train station and get the ticket and go. If you travel on a day that is a use of one of the days. (obviously)

I did not go from Ireland to england, but when going from England to France there was a seperate company that did that (the name of which I forget at the moment) so I don't know if the pass counts for Ireland to England.

its really that basic, with the only issue being rail travel in and through England.
    Cool, but how do u figure it would be cheaper to go from place to place by plane, its like 300 dollars for a plane ticket anywhere.

and is the map on the eurail website correct are those the only places the eurail takes off from and stops at. or is there smaller stations that just go to inner citys of that country.

Entense Supporter
    Originally posted by Hausen
    Cool, but how do u figure it would be cheaper to go from place to place by plane, its like 300 dollars for a plane ticket anywhere.
    nah see there are small airline companies over there that are very cheap. the ones I can think of at the moment are Ryan air and Easyjet (there are more though) and honestly if you plan a flight even one month in advance that is from a place in europe to another place in europe it will cost you no more than 40 euros

and is the map on the eurail website correct are those the only places the eurail takes off from and stops at. or is there smaller stations that just go to inner citys of that country.
    I'm not sure which map you are talking about, but aside from england the pass should work in any train station.
    I miss Mike and Jose

Entensity Vet
    Cool yah, i found the right map i was looken at some weird map that didnt show all the stations.

Looks pretty good though i think imma go for about a month and travel all over.

Can u reccomend me some spots to go.

so far imma start in dublin, go to london, amsterdam, berlin, paris and eventualy make my way to rome.

can u reccomend some stops in between though.

EDIT: And how long does the train take to get from place to place average?

say dublin to london, or london to like amsterdam.

R we talken 5-6 hours or like 20 hours.

EDIT x2: whats the best type of pass to get if i want to be able to travel all over europe at my lesiure for atleast a month.

I wanna be able to hangout in 1 city for a couple days then shoot off to another city, I was looking at the flexi pass that offers 15 trips in a 2 months period. Do you think ill ride the train more than 15 times or is that more than enough

How much spending money did u take. with everything paid imma take 1600 spending cash.

Entense Supporter
    1600 should be enough for a month I think.

I stayed for 3 months, so I had much more cash than that($4000), but I think you should be fine.(also I stayed with a buddy of mine in England, so I did not have to spend money on a hostel every single night)

the longest distance i went by train was from paris to barcelona, and that took 12 hours. That is much longer than any of those distances you are talking about, so I am guessing the longest you would ride would be maybe 6 hours (unless you are going from paris to rome, in which case that will take possibly longer than 12 hours. whats cool though is those trips are done overnight and you get a sleeping car so you don't really lose days to see things.) The 15 days of travel is tricky. For instance if you go to florence, you can take an hour and a half train ride to Pisa to see the leaning tower and what not. If you do, that is a travel day. From Paris you can take a train ride to Baeyux (not sure about the spelling) to see the D-Day beaches for a day (in the Normandie area of france). That would also take up one of your days of travel. For you if you do go with the 15 days it would be those little day trips that would take up the extra travel days (outside the planned days of travel to major areas)

as for things to see, that is a hard question. I wanted to see everything, but there is def an art to how long you need to be in each place. For instance, Venice can be done in one full day. Its a small place with few major sites. Florence could be done in 2 full days. Rome you will need like a week (depending on how much you want to see). If you plan things like how long to stay in each place you can get the most out of your time. The importance of each place is up to you, but I would say for big cities like london, paris, berlin and rome you should spend the most time . (though with only having one month you will have to ration your time much more than I did)

other thoughts:
    be careful while booking hostels. Some rooms say they are like 15 euros a night, but that is per person in a 4 person room. If you don't have the three other people, they might try and force you to pay for the other beds because its a room for 4; no more no less. (I got screwed by that in venice)
    eating on the cheap does not mean avoiding fast food places. For instance Rome is full of McDonalds and one Burger King. I hate both of those so I tried a cafe and the really small dish of pasta was 9 euros. That is not an economic way to eat. Its painful but unless you are in a hostel with a kitchen, McDonalds is sometimes the cheapest way to eat.
    Be ready to not be liked. While most people in europe are nice, there is a good amount that don't care to talk to you in English if they even know it. try to be respectful of their language and culture.
    Sights can be pricey. For instance to see the Sistine Chappel the entry fee is 12 euros. (also you will see nuns driving SUVs. wonder where those 12 euros are going...)

if anything else comes to mind I will let you know. any questions just ask
    I miss Mike and Jose

I have lots of Seniority kndguy's Avatar
    ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ l̴͍͍͙̺̞ͫ̍̔̍ͩͮͯ̽̿ͩ͒̇̒̓̓̍ŏ̾ͮ͊͛ͫͪ̓̈́̇͏̛̀&#
    Originally posted by Wklyver
    1600 should be enough for a month I think.

I stayed for 3 months, so I had much more cash than that($4000), but I think you should be fine.(also I stayed with a buddy of mine in England, so I did not have to spend money on a hostel every single night)

the longest distance i went by train was from paris to barcelona, and that took 12 hours. That is much longer than any of those distances you are talking about, so I am guessing the longest you would ride would be maybe 6 hours (unless you are going from paris to rome, in which case that will take possibly longer than 12 hours. whats cool though is those trips are done overnight and you get a sleeping car so you don't really lose days to see things.) The 15 days of travel is tricky. For instance if you go to florence, you can take an hour and a half train ride to Pisa to see the leaning tower and what not. If you do, that is a travel day. From Paris you can take a train ride to Baeyux (not sure about the spelling) to see the D-Day beaches for a day (in the Normandie area of france). That would also take up one of your days of travel. For you if you do go with the 15 days it would be those little day trips that would take up the extra travel days (outside the planned days of travel to major areas)

as for things to see, that is a hard question. I wanted to see everything, but there is def an art to how long you need to be in each place. For instance, Venice can be done in one full day. Its a small place with few major sites. Florence could be done in 2 full days. Rome you will need like a week (depending on how much you want to see). If you plan things like how long to stay in each place you can get the most out of your time. The importance of each place is up to you, but I would say for big cities like london, paris, berlin and rome you should spend the most time . (though with only having one month you will have to ration your time much more than I did)

other thoughts:
    be careful while booking hostels. Some rooms say they are like 15 euros a night, but that is per person in a 4 person room. If you don't have the three other people, they might try and force you to pay for the other beds because its a room for 4; no more no less. (I got screwed by that in venice)
    eating on the cheap does not mean avoiding fast food places. For instance Rome is full of McDonalds and one Burger King. I hate both of those so I tried a cafe and the really small dish of pasta was 9 euros. That is not an economic way to eat. Its painful but unless you are in a hostel with a kitchen, McDonalds is sometimes the cheapest way to eat.
    Be ready to not be liked. While most people in europe are nice, there is a good amount that don't care to talk to you in English if they even know it. try to be respectful of their language and culture.
    Sights can be pricey. For instance to see the Sistine Chappel the entry fee is 12 euros. (also you will see nuns driving SUVs. wonder where those 12 euros are going...)

if anything else comes to mind I will let you know. any questions just ask
    that was very detailed, i had a nice read; cool info.
    1RM Calc. Never ever have doubt.

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Entensity Vet
    yah thanks that was good,

i really have no idea what were doing, were basically just winging it, i dont know what things i wanna see or what there is to see im going there for for the party and nightlife aspect but i definitley wanna see some cool shit along the way.

How much do taxis and stuff go for, I need like an informative guide cuz were trying to get this planned out as best we can so we can enjoy our time there and budget well.

and another question i had, does the eurail go from dublin to london cuz on the map it shows it does but i dont know of any train that goes over a body of water that large.

EDIT: what are some of the best months to go, we were planning around late august anything wrong with this.

Entense Supporter
    yah thanks that was good,

i really have no idea what were doing, were basically just winging it, i dont know what things i wanna see or what there is to see im going there for for the party and nightlife aspect but i definitley wanna see some cool shit along the way.

How much do taxis and stuff go for, I need like an informative guide cuz were trying to get this planned out as best we can so we can enjoy our time there and budget well.

and another question i had, does the eurail go from dublin to london cuz on the map it shows it does but i dont know of any train that goes over a body of water that large.

I never took taxis because the subway system is the best way to go. Most places have like a 5 day pass that I bought cause I stayed in most places for at least 5 days. You can get anywhere in big cities using the subway system. I brought a guide called "europe on a shoestring" which had info on how to do things in europe for cheap. It was pretty good, but any guide can only explain it so well.
    I went to Ireland years ago on a seperate trip and did not go this most recent time, but I am guessing it runs underwater like the Chunnel does. (thats the train tube under the English Channel) if that does not work there should be a ferry or those cheap plane tickets that I mentioned before.
    I miss Mike and Jose

Entensity Vet
    alright thanks, i dont know what else to ask right now but ill throw out some more stuff later on.

Bad-ass Member
    seriosly if you are only doing that few stops along the way here in europe, have a serious look at these websites, compare prices you find for each segment and choose from there.

www.airberlin.com
    www.easyjet.com
    www.transavia.com
    www.ryanair.com
    http://www.oneworld.com/products/det...fm?ObjectID=25
    http://www.staralliance.com/star_all...e/main_10.html

you should also check out the prices for bustravel!

i personally hate train/bus travel and would choose air travel anytime...

For information regarding sights/costs/general info. i trust you have heard of www.lonelyplanet.com and www.roughguides.com amongst others...
    Originally posted by ME

Lake of fire & Burn
    =
    These walls
    Uhuh
    ahah