User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Disc (Frisbee) Golf

ya i joined, just curious if there are any others... EFDGCLUB?!?!

PSN: Nifos

Entense Supporter
    I play usually once or twice a week when the weather is nice. fun to carry a back pack full of beers with your buddies and spend a few hours out there. I don't take it all serious like the guys that play actual tournaments and stuff. I just like to get out there and have a good time.

Entense Supporter
    A couple friends and I bought cheap sets a couple months ago. Weather has been shitty so we haven't gone out yet, but there are a few courses around me. I'm going to try and go quite often when it starts getting warmer out.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkEyOnaCid View Post
    I play usually once or twice a week when the weather is nice. fun to carry a back pack full of beers with your buddies and spend a few hours out there. I don't take it all serious like the guys that play actual tournaments and stuff. I just like to get out there and have a good time.
    DOing that tomorrow, but practicing for an upcoming tourney ha.

Quote Originally Posted by vernSL View Post
    A couple friends and I bought cheap sets a couple months ago. Weather has been shitty so we haven't gone out yet, but there are a few courses around me. I'm going to try and go quite often when it starts getting warmer out.

Ya it's been stupid warm here this week, I've been crankin out about 2 rounds a day in between classes trying to get back in form for summer. I did play last Wednesday in about 6 inches of snow though, was super fun minus not really having any grip because of the gloves I had to wear.

Entense Supporter
    I was honestly just talking with my friend yesterday about possibly playing some disc golf this summer. Just like others said, the weather in MI is SUCKING for anything outside related. Anybody have any tips? I feel like I'm decently accurate with a frisbee but don't think I can chuck it 300 ft lol.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ernieball View Post
    I was honestly just talking with my friend yesterday about possibly playing some disc golf this summer. Just like others said, the weather in MI is SUCKING for anything outside related. Anybody have any tips? I feel like I'm decently accurate with a frisbee but don't think I can chuck it 300 ft lol.
    You'd be surprised how far those fly if you get the right disk for your throwing style. I throw it front hand/side arm style (for driving) and I know I could throw it close to 300ft if it goes right. I'm inconsistent cause I don't play enough though so sometimes I throw it bad lol.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifos View Post
    DOing that tomorrow, but practicing for an upcoming tourney ha.

Ya it's been stupid warm here this week, I've been crankin out about 2 rounds a day in between classes trying to get back in form for summer. I did play last Wednesday in about 6 inches of snow though, was super fun minus not really having any grip because of the gloves I had to wear.
    I would like to get in a tournament once just to see what it's like. What does it take to get in one?

Quote Originally Posted by ernieball View Post
    They're not your normal frisbees that you toss around with friends or play ultimate with, these are built for distance especially the new ones. Just go to your local store and find some cheap (< $9) discs. I suggest a fairway driver/midrage and putter. You won't have enough power to throw a big driver.

The best advice I can give you is to put the disc on your left shoulder (if your throwing RH) and "open" your right shoulder so that the disc "drags" across your chest and the torque created will force the disc to rip out of your hand. Also start with the disc held high when starting out, most of the beginners I've seen have a tendency to throw from their hip causing the disc to sore high.

Also if you're a smoker, then you have to toke and play.

I would like to get in a tournament once just to see what it's like. What does it take to get in one?
    Not sure what the DG community is like around you, but most often their will be fliers posted on the course. If not check out your local club's site, www.DGCourseReview.com or www.PDGA.com.

Entense Supporter
    Finally got a day when the wind wasn't blowing 35mph. Got a couple buddies rounded up and played about 15 holes. Feels good to get back in the groove but it's been way too long.

Don't know why I haven't posted in here yet. Cool to see ya Monkey, fellow Mackenzie park player.

Been playing for about a year now, usually going like 4-5 times a month. Recently I've gotten a couple of good friends into it so I'm going about 4 times a week right now. Don't have any crazy cool discs like some of the ones I've seen in this thread, but maybe I'll attempt to do it when I get some free time.

Say Monkey, what kinda scores you get and do you shoot from pro or am? Oh and I'm all with ya on the beer thing, makes it so much more fun by the time I get to whole 10 or so. Just don't go to that ghetto ass convenience store down past Mackenzie on Broadway, I'm always scared I'm going to get shanked. They do have old english cans though, which was pretty fuckin ill.
    Last edited by Gizmo1337; 3/07/2011 at 7:51 pm.

I'm starting to post adidias2500's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Nice to see that there is at least a small community of active disc golfers on the entensity forums. I've been playing four about three years now. During the summer I try to play at least 2 times a week if not more. I play in a local league, as well as one or two tournaments a year. Here is a picture of a rec player finishing up on the 27th hole at Max E. Roper park in Lincoln, NE (my home course).

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo1337 View Post
    Don't know why I haven't posted in here yet. Cool to see ya Monkey, fellow Mackenzie park player.

Been playing for about a year now, usually going like 4-5 times a month. Recently I've gotten a couple of good friends into it so I'm going about 4 times a week right now. Don't have any crazy cool discs like some of the ones I've seen in this thread, but maybe I'll attempt to do it when I get some free time.

Say Monkey, what kinda scores you get and do you shoot from pro or am? Oh and I'm all with ya on the beer thing, makes it so much more fun by the time I get to whole 10 or so. Just don't go to that ghetto ass convenience store down past Mackenzie on Broadway, I'm always scared I'm going to get shanked. They do have old english cans though, which was pretty fuckin ill.
    We don't follow the traditional scoring as normal. we play off the leader. say one gets a 2 on the first hole, and his buddy gets a 3. then whoever got the lowest score is "even" and the guy who got a 3 is "-1" stroke. and in order to gain strokes you have to beat whoever was leading. We usually play for who is buying the next case of beer or who is buying food. Never really actually knew what the pars were for the holes at mackenzie park. lol. we should meet up and play sometime. you will probably dominate us. We throw from the am tees.

Doubtful, I play from am tees as well. I have those games where I do awesome, but I usually find some way to ruin my score. Normally score below +10 for playing 20 holes. We always skip hole 5 since the basket is to the left and near water. It's too short and I know my discs tend to fade left too much, not worth the risk.

Oh, and everything is par 3 except for holes 2 and 17. Those are par 5.

Also, are you a student at Tech?

Entense Supporter
    I know what you mean. Some days my discs go exactly where i want them to. Others.....in the water usually lol. we play almost every hole. I've lost probably 5 discs in those waters .

Yes I am a student at Tech. Mechanical Engineering

What discs are you guys carrying?

I know what you mean. Some days my discs go exactly where i want them to. Others.....in the water usually lol. we play almost every hole. I've lost probably 5 discs in those waters .

Yes I am a student at Tech. Mechanical Engineering
    Right on, I was MIS major, just finished in December.

Right now I'm carrying:

Innova:

Wraith DX - Distance Driver
    Beast DX - Distance Driver
    Whippet DX - Fairway Driver
    Shark DX - Mid-range
    Classic Aviar DX - Putter

Discraft:

Stratus Pro D - Long range driver
    Buzzz Elite Z - Mid-range

There's also a few more but I found them out on the course and they're all worn down to where I can't read them.

Ahh not bad, I have a lot of the same but in different plastic. If you're having a lot of fade problems, get away from the big drivers. You should be able to toss that classic aviar at least 200' (mine turned over hard sometimes), midranges 250 and that whippet 300.

I was using big discs like wraiths/xcals/etc and started to develop a OAT (off axis torque) throw so I was mostly throwing anhyzer to correct the flight path. But since then I disced down, worked on form and power. Now when tossing the faster discs they dont fade out as much (unless they're overstable), and I don't have to use them often just because of the courses I play.

Why not use the drivers? Don't they cut through the air better and ultimately go further? I usually just overcompensate and throw to the right a little more so they end up landing straight.

They do, but if you can't power them its better to stick to slower discs. Then once you learn to throw the slower discs to their max, when you toss a driver you'll notice a huge change. I was using mostly drivers, throwing close to 300'. Then after using slower drivers for a bit, I'm noticing a big increase. On big rips I'm closing in on 400'.

How far are you throwing each disc?

I guess I never really take note of exact distances, I'm going today though and I'll try to compare distances between discs.