User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My galant build. (56kgoaway)

My galant build. NOW with VIDEO!

I know some of you might be interested in this...I apologize for the crappy cell phone pictures..But I generally dont like to bring the camera out when my hands are going to be too dirty to touch it anyways.

Background:
    I bought this car last year. My buddy has bought the car at the time, because I was broke, but he backed out due to enough money being dumped into his TT stealth...So I picked it up from him for 1200, with bent valves in the head.
    We first went into this thinking it was just a fuel delivery problem or something..

Throughout this thread keep in mind, I was a FULL TIME college student, with a measily part time job paying out 7.50 an hour, I bag and sort produce, you CANNOT do this all day without going nuts. I have 100% funded this car on my own, while paying for DD's(yes multiple, I had an unexpected wreck...[see sideways car, as peter likes to refer to it]) and..having a life. I made ~6g in the past year, the majority of that is living in, or around this car, slowly, but surely.

The pickup:

This will be its home for the next few weeks:

Pull the valve cover..rockers laying all over the exhaust side..

..Move it in the garage so we can pull the head and get it all torn down and figured out (it will spend ~8 months here):

NICE! the guy got every single exhaust valve but one:

Now, valves are one thing..But seeing the pistons this bad makes me wonder what damage the crank, pistons, and rods REALLY took:

A guy I know owed me money for parts I had payed for, and never received, so he gave me his **running** GST in which I was going to steal the motor from...
    The hood flew up on him, he didnt have the title, so he left it in the field for dead..
    Once I went to pick it up, he told me the car ran perfect, trans had no grinds, all together the engine was really strong. Then he tells me the only thing it is missing is the injectors...I think nothing of it...

motor donor:

Loadin it up

Well, uhh..had to do something with the shell..

Apparently WHILE IT DIDNT HAVE INJECTORS it wasnt covered for quite some time...And when I went to drain the oil, I had a steady stream of water...So we tore it down to find...

The whole motor was FULL of water. At this time, I had decided to get a good hone, re-ring it, throw in some new bearings and reuse most everything I could salvage, you know, the dsm'ers way.

I took it to my machinest, had 350 dollars worth of stuff done to the block, and the micropolish on the crank, then he lets me know this block is too pitted (..remember the water..) to run with forced induction and I would need to bore it ~ 20 - 40 over...SO I took it home, thought it over..
    Then I decided while I was at it, I would up the compression ratio for more off-boost power for autocross...
    ..And while Im spending 450 on a set of pistons..I might as well buy a nice set of rods to mate up with these guys..

1k later, 9:1 wiseco pistons on eagle rods:

got the pistons all ready to go in, found I had 2 sets of broken rings in my box..somewhere between shipping, me, the machinest, me..ugh..anyways..another 65 dollars..then:

got a nice clean full oem rebuild on the head...

Current date intentions, Just get it running. I would have liked to throw in a set of 272's and some 1mm over valves..But time is time, and money is money..2 things I really dont have..well..time..I have some of that.

Dillemas:
    -I bought a USED low, to no miles act2600 clutch..I recieved it...garbage.
    -still need misc parts and pieces..
    -need to get it running within a few weeks..this car IS at my bosses house afterall
    -9:1 means I need to compensate for timing...DSMlink is 600 dollars, plus ecu modifications..
    -I need to completely upgrade my fuel system
    -Im broke as shit after spending all of my money from selling my bike on the pistons and machine work.

Now..the progress STOPS. Im really trying to work more, afford this thing, pay off my DD and keep the ol' lady interested

The car heads to a new home..The back shed where it is insulated, and heated...Perfect temperature year round, and my boss happens to have a ton of tools, and all that good stuff.

rallyrama

back in session..Im only going to classes til 1, Im working more, and i have enough energy to actually work on this thing.

the motor/intercooler/suspension are the current concerns

Yank the old block out (remember, Im building the water engine, I had only removed the head from this one)

Tear down for my evo 8 intercooler setup\

And the modification of the evo 8 suspension begins (very similar corner weights, these work amazing on these cars):

evo suspension

Rears:
    (not my picture..but you get it)

Modified fronts, ready to rock:

At this time, during the long break, I have been compiling a bunch of parts, getting things powder coated, so on and so forth. I bolt on the head, oil pump, water pump, intake and exhaust manifold, valve cover, and all the other misc shit..But..once I started making things pretty..you cant skip ANYTHING.

Currently, this is the way my motors looking on the stand:

Plans for next week:

-set timing
    -bolt on acc/clutch/flywheel/trans
    -drop in the motor
    -hook everything up
    -finish cutting for the intercooler piping
    -hopefully have it running by late week, early following..

This has really been a 1 man build throughout the entire thing. My buddy was supposed to be doing 90% of the engine work because well..he is a mechanic (with a degree) and Im a ...body guy...But he's flaked, doesnt ever work on the thing, and Im pretty much alone when it comes to working on this, and Im REALLY anal with these things, so I take my time and do it right the first time.
    To sum it up..I'v done, and learned everything thus far.. There is alot I havent shown above that will need a follow up when I get the time.

Parts/work/Modifications thus far:

-.040 9:1 Wiseco pistons on eagle rods
    -Bored/cleaned/checked the block
    -head rebuilt with all oem parts.
    all block/head/crank work done by my man chuck.
    -micropolished crank
    -All new MITSU bearings from the ground up
    -Cometic MLS head gasket
    -Balance shaft eliminator kit
    -Fresh oil pump with updated helical cut gears (and about a 3 month dilemma due to a mix up with gears from the stealership)
    -All arp hardware - If it can have it, it does
    -All new OEM seals and gaskets
    -OEM knock sensor
    -OEM waterpump
    -OEM timing belt/tensioner/idlers
    -My dog just puked
    -EGR blockoff
    -NGK BPR7ES plugs
    -FIC 650cc injectors
    -All redline fluids for the trans/diff/xcase, as well as water wetter
    -Forced performance "fp race" 4-1 cast/ceramic coated manifold
    -EVOIII Big 16g turbo (also, I have a buschur racing big 16g that is ported, clipped, and flapped, but until it gets a rebuild, it will be staying in its cardboard home)
    -o2 Dump/screamer pipe
    -Gold powder coating (everywhere for the gold on black theme)
    -HKS ssqv Blow off valve
    -Evo 8 front mount intercooler kit with polished piping (by jonvr4)
    -Modified Evo 8 suspension
    -Ecu socketing by terry posten
    -ECU chip w/ custom map for my setup, 4100rpm stutterbox, slightly raised limiter, compensation for the 650cc injectors, A/C cutout, and more, all done by Keydiver @ Dsmchips (will be using an Apexi SAFC for fine tuning the fuel)
    -Devils own Water injection
    -8 pound fidanza flywheel
    -Act 2600 clutch kit with street disc

Thats all I can think of right now, But im sure thats not all of it.
    Last edited by aenimav; 10/31/2008 at 12:11 am.
    i like boobs.

Entense Supporter
    holy shit man this is awesome..my buddy just bought one of these bad boys to do some work on ill have to show him this ...sucks trying to do things right without the funds but you look like youve gotten there pretty decently...the motor looks really nice cant wait to see pictures of everything in the bay and the car all put back together

nice job so far
    http://forums.entensity.net/signaturepics/sigpic8024_1.gif

I'm starting to post
    yeah dude definately job there. The engines arent too bad im sure as you've found out. those gallants though, ugh they are so hard to find. props though for doing it all yourself. its much better that way i think anyways, i like being able to say, " yep did all the work myself"

The Fucking King! PrincessArnage's Avatar
    Awesome. I have always loved GVR4's. Your car looks alot like my Mirage right now. I am also mid way into rebuilding my motor.
    he would kiss me and touch me and make me play with him he told me what we were doing wasnt wrong because he was my dad

Good read...

I think it would be fun to do that much work yourself. A little frustrating without the funds, but still fun none the less.

Look forward to seeing it done.

Press on, man, press on.
    Canon Crew: EOS Digital Rebel XT, EOS 7D, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX
    Originally posted by craY
    Your guy... however, is a drug user muslim terrorist nigger useless "present" piece of nigger shit. I hope you enjoy nov 15 you losing piece of shit
    Quote Originally Posted by makaw View Post
    I will penetrate your anus if you say another word

Impressive work. Keep it up! I'll be following up with this thread periodically.

Entense Supporter
    dude great fucking thread, keep up the good work

My galant build. NOW with VIDEO!

Thanks for the good words. I have been meaning to do this thread for so long, but i took a huge break from working on this thing.

Originally posted by danothedinosaur
    Good read...

I think it would be fun to do that much work yourself. A little frustrating without the funds, but still fun none the less.

Look forward to seeing it done.

Press on, man, press on.
    Its been a bit frustrating for everything..Its been fun as well..but very frustrating. Before I started this build, I didnt know half of what I do now, so its been sort of a pain in the ass trying to learn everything I need to know along the way...The good thing is, most everything I know came from the guys over at www.galantvr4.org.

Like I said, im a body guy, I really never focused on engine performance. This was supposed to really be my buddies engine build..There was supposed to be a trade off for the ~100 hrs I have into his 2 stealths (many many long nights trying to get the tt ready for a show..that he didnt even bother showing up for) to get them back on the road, not to mention the motor I gave him for his kind services.

If I had to do this again...I'd buy a long block. If I didnt happen to have 2.5 motors laying around, there is no way I would have been able to keep track where all this stuff goes...and when your building something with so many parts, relocating, and having a guy who likes to clean the shed and just toss your shit, its really hard to keep track of all these little things.

Ill try to keep this thread updated..but it may be more crappy cellphone pictures.

EDIT////
    I updated the original post with parts/modifications
    i like boobs.

Update:

Motor went in today. I finished up all of my coolant lines, err..blocking all of them off..no more coolant for the Throttle body or turbo.

We dropped in the motor, fought, and I mean brawled with the motor mounts for about 2 hours. the front, and rear were nothing but a pita. I have never had this much of a fuss with motor mounts.

Anyways, I need to gather a few things, get everything plugged in, finish cutting for my fmic, get the pipes cleaned up..drain the fuel, fill all fluids (trans, xfer, rear diff, coolant) build an exhaust system...and its about ready to fire up. This thing is scary close...only a year in the makings.

I will update pictures in the morning, otherwise I hope to have video of first fireup by late tomorrow, early tuesday. It WILL run by weds.
    i like boobs.

Someone posts A LOT
    That is a great build.. Good luck with the inaugural firing..

Another mild PHONE photo dump:

Gold everywhere

Fidanza FW bolted up

Act 2600 bolted

About 2 hours worth of man handeling later:

I know the rest of the bay needs attention..But that will be cleaned up after winter.
    i like boobs.

Looking forward to the first firing video...
    Canon Crew: EOS Digital Rebel XT, EOS 7D, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX
    Originally posted by craY
    Your guy... however, is a drug user muslim terrorist nigger useless "present" piece of nigger shit. I hope you enjoy nov 15 you losing piece of shit
    Quote Originally Posted by makaw View Post
    I will penetrate your anus if you say another word

Motors assembled, everything is filled with fresh fluids, suspensions bolted up, brakes were redone, intercooler is finished, and its ready to rock...sort of

Originally posted by danothedinosaur
    Looking forward to the first firing video...
    Well you are now in luck

http://www.youtube.com/v/rQv1SrkC6Rw

No dice

I keep blowing my MPI relay, so its not getting fuel. I have absolutely no idea why I keep blowing them. Unless the guy who did my ECU missed something, I have had almost everything freshened up that could relate to this issue. Usually people have these problems when they have wires tapped into places. I dont have a single tapped wire on the car.
    i like boobs.

Nice build! I hope you figure out what MPI issue soon.

So is this going to be just an autocross car? Weekend driver? Etc?

Originally posted by divideoverflow
    Nice build! I hope you figure out what MPI issue soon.

So is this going to be just an autocross car? Weekend driver? Etc?
    Both. There is a big sports car club (all old guys..which I prefer) that puts on, and is involved in tons of autocross events...When I was in college for autobody, we had alot of involvement in the club. We get the absolute best parking lots you could imagine. We get the ENTIRE parking lot for the local college. I have posted pictures of these events on here before.
    I plan on eventually having it all rigid, and a good set of coilovers..But it will also be a street car.
    i like boobs.

Bad-ass Member
    where is this money coming from

Not a New Bitch
    probably from your mom, ahahahahah

Originally posted by macdaddy
    where is this money coming from
    This car probably cost me ~$6000 from start to finish (so far) including the price of the car itself. Im a big digger on cheap parts...and this car really isnt THAT extensive. The only labor cost's I have is probably ~$450 in machine work, including having a frozen disc brake, and a wheel bearing pressed in and out. That was the majority of my last years paycheck while in college.

Originally posted by srhodes
    probably from your mom, ahahahahah
    Good one douche
    i like boobs.

Update:

I just drove the car home..

The good:

-It runs great
    -at 10psi it still rips
    -No hoses blown off on the first runs
    -no serious motor related issues

the bad:

-My camber is fuccccked..The evo suspension doesnt allow for enough adjustment, so its positive like whoa..I need to either get camber plates, bolts, or something fancy..

-She likes to turn right..Needs to be aligned BAD. But I also eyeballed where my new tie rod ends should be.

-I need to tear it down in 80 miles to retorque

-idling high, 1500 most of the time, sticking at 3000 sometimes until I kick the throttle

-my bov isnt bov'ing. Not sure if I just cant hear it because its only at 10psi and im not really slamming on the throttle, or if its fucked. I was told it had 10 miles on it when I bought it, (hks ssqv) but that was clearly untrue when I got it.

-When I hit the brakes, it bogs. I assume my brake booster is shot..the brakes arent staying stiff

-ABS pulses when I brake..I will have to get rid of the ABS..

-Something in the left front is rubbing..it also smells like brakes/clutch..But among the other smells (new pads, new exhaust, new clutch, new manifold, first run, etc..) its hard to distinguish whats what...I did have a left rear hanging up before when I went to town it to a new location, but it free'd up..It had locked up a bit once I went through the brakes

- My o2 dump (screamer pipe) is annoying as fuck..thats gonna HAVE to go..it just sounds like my exhaust fell off...I guess its nice to know that my wastegate is functioning..

I have ALOT of work ahead of me...But now thats its home it will be MUCH easier to get things done..But my volvo is unhappy..blowing blue smoke. I believe my turbo is shot.

I will try to get some pictures, and video up tomorrow..
    i like boobs.

The Fucking King! PrincessArnage's Avatar
    Check your BISS screw. You could prob turn it down a bit and get the idle to drop. And also check to see if you BOV is open during idle or boost. I had that problem with my Mirage. I also assume that you are running the BOV off of the nipple between the intake runners?

Did you replace the calipers? If not, it sounds like one is siezed.

I really hope I can get my Mirage put back otgether soon. I have all the parts, I just need a garage.
    he would kiss me and touch me and make me play with him he told me what we were doing wasnt wrong because he was my dad