User Tag List

Page 3 of 142 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the Cops (EF's Official Cop/Law Advice Thread)

Originally posted by Rizz0
    when i got a ticket a few weeks ago, the cop said i shouldnt have been in the left lane.

Some states have a left lane, passing lane only law. Alabama had it for a week or two, then dumped it.
    [insert sig here]

Master of Posting
    Originally posted by trinic
    You have every right to refuse. If i wanna look in your car, and you say no, The only other ways I can are with a search warrant, or a drug dog alerts on it. You won't be able to get a SW with no probable cause, and if there's no dog around then i'm shit outta luck.
    i'm sure everyone on these forums has seen the "How not to get busted" vids, so have you actually ever witnessed or heard of a K9 officer get his dog to "jump" by command only just to get probable cause to search?

AND

how would you have handled this situation as both an officer and a civilian?

http://forums.entensity.net/showthre...ht=enforcement

Originally posted by Stanton
    i'm sure everyone on these forums has seen the "How not to get busted" vids, so have you actually ever witnessed or heard of a K9 officer get his dog to "jump" by command only just to get probable cause to search?

AND

how would you have handled this situation as both an officer and a civilian?

http://forums.entensity.net/showthre...ht=enforcement
    Our dogs are passive, which means they sit when they detect an odor. I haven't seen anyone intentionally do it, i'm sure it happens, but i haven't seen it.. I've seen dogs give false alerts because they want the ball they get as a reward. However, I wouldn't want to waste my time looking through a car if there wasn't anything in there. If it's in there, and it's a decent dog with half decent training, he'll alert to it.

and...

I'd have a report filed. There's no way in hell i'd believe the weed on the visor didn't belong to the driver, simply because i hear that shit all the time. Just this past weekend, i asked the driver to step to the rear so I could explain why I stopped him, he stepped out and had shake all over his shirt. I pulled the shake off and asked him if he had anymore, he said "this ain't my shirt"
    [insert sig here]

Good Question. I know some troopers that set thier cruise at 65, and if a car passes them, they write them a ticket. A moving radar is able to pick up any car coming at, or going away from a cop. Stationary radar can pick you up if the cop can point it at you. If a cop is behind you, move outta his way if possible, he probably just wants to pass you. Another little tip. Radar detectors are a waste of money. By the time your radar detector goes off, My radar has your speed.
    Thanks for the answer. But what about divided highways? Can a moving radar pick up someone on the other side, even though the distance is that far away, or are multiple cars?

I'm a FUCKING FAGGOT AND WILL NEVER BE A MOD mas's Avatar
    currently in Monterey, CA but originally from a place where bears are free to engage in activities of a homosexual nature with other bears who also are free to engage in acts of a homosexual nature with other bears
    Originally posted by deadbolt
    I got a question for you, when you ask to look in someones back pack do they have a right to say no? and if so what can you do once they say no/ can you get charged with an unlawful search under unreasonable grounds
    i know he already answered this, but you can and always SHOULD say no. there are tons of great cops out there, but like with anything, there are tons of douchebag cops and you never know what they are going to do. there are always cops in the news around here for selling drugs they confiscate and you never know when you're going to run into one that needs to hide something quick.

Originally posted by Jazz_Man
    Thanks for the answer. But what about divided highways? Can a moving radar pick up someone on the other side, even though the distance is that far away, or are multiple cars?

Yes, quite accurately providing theres not a concrete barricade. A simple 4 lane highway isn't a problem. The more of an angle the radar has on you, the less the speed shows.
    [insert sig here]

BANNED
    How do you prefer to be notified of someone carrying a concealed weapon? (During an unrelated traffic stop, for example) Do you want the driver to tell you right away? Wait until they hand you their license, and hand the CCW permit with it? Do you even care?

Originally posted by Scorch105
    How do you prefer to be notified of someone carrying a concealed weapon? (During an unrelated traffic stop, for example) Do you want the driver to tell you right away? Wait until they hand you their license, and hand the CCW permit with it? Do you even care?

On a plain traffic stop I don't care, most hand it with the DL. It's a good idea, breaks concetration which could in turn mean getting a warning
    [insert sig here]

I'm a post-aholic
    Entense Supporter
    okay, so a drug dog alerting is PC for a search, but can an officer make you wait for a drug dog to show up if he DOESN'T have probable cause? I got pulled over once and the cop threatened to call a dog if we didn't consent to a search. We still refused and it ended up he was just bluffing and wasn't about to wait the 30 minutes for a dog to get there. But, if he had called, what would our legal status have been? I mean, you're free to go unless you're under arrest or detained, correct? So I guess my question is what does it take to get you "detained" so you have to sit there and wait? If that officer had called a dog, would we have been required by law to sit there and wait for it to get us (no evidence of drug use. Nothing in plain view, no red eyes, no odor. The windows were foggy because we had been swimming. Only basis for there being drugs were my long hair and a hemp necklace) or would we have been able to say "Sorry officer, but two of us have work early tomorrow and we really need to get to sleep"? Would a police officer even be able to call a drug dog in like that anyway?

I won't slave for beggar's pay, likewise gold and jewels
    But I would slave to learn the way to sink your ship of fools

yeah, the dog can be called to run around any car. There is a time limit that says more than x minutes is too long to detain someone, but I don't remember what it is.

I think it's actually described as a "reasonable amount of time" in the books
    [insert sig here]

I'm a post-aholic
    Entense Supporter
    good to know

I won't slave for beggar's pay, likewise gold and jewels
    But I would slave to learn the way to sink your ship of fools

Entense Supporter
    Another little tip. Radar detectors are a waste of money. By the time your radar detector goes off, My radar has your speed.
    not entirely true. i have a beltronics rx65 pro radar and it goes off up to a mile or so on a straight highway. it has saved me out of at least 5 different speeding tickets, where i was going 90 or faster. and the cops i passed by were both stationary and moving in the opposite direction.

although i will agree with you on getting lasered. i've been lasered multiple times and the cops usually wait until i'm within 500 feet or so to do so. i wasn't speeding those times luckily.

but here's my question:

say you're caught speeding and the cop pulls you over. would saying you have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and that you desperately had to shit be a good enough excuse to get out of the ticket?

Yeah, it's the move over law. Pisses cops off when a car leaves paint on our uniform b/c they wanna see how close they can get, or not paying attn.
    But what if the cop wasn't pulling anyone over. he or she was just sitting in the car

Originally posted by ddubs
    not entirely true. i have a beltronics rx65 pro radar and it goes off up to a mile or so on a straight highway. it has saved me out of at least 5 different speeding tickets, where i was going 90 or faster. and the cops i passed by were both stationary and moving in the opposite direction.

although i will agree with you on getting lasered. i've been lasered multiple times and the cops usually wait until i'm within 500 feet or so to do so. i wasn't speeding those times luckily.

but here's my question:

say you're caught speeding and the cop pulls you over. would saying you have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and that you desperately had to shit be a good enough excuse to get out of the ticket?

Not really, that's an excuse that's played out, shit...piss...etc. Although some cases it may be real. I'll rebutt what i said about radar detectors. They work if your not the lead car, if your the lead car, my radar is faster than your detector. if your about 3 cars back, it'll warn you that i'm catching the lead car and give you enough time to jam the brake.

Originally posted by andyvho
    But what if the cop wasn't pulling anyone over. he or she was just sitting in the car
    It only applies if the cop is on a stop, call, or some official duty. I can't just sit in my car on the side of the road and expect people to get over.

Please remember. My info comes from my knowledge of ALABAMA law and your law may vary. If it's something you really need info on, i'll research hit and let you know.
    [insert sig here]

Trinic,

Here in washington state we have (highway?/freeway?) washington state route 520.

Now for a large portion of this route, the HOV lane is restricted to 3 people to a car, not 2. A lot of times during peak traffic hours they'll be doing HOV crackdowns to make sure people are obeying the rules.

But how can they ever know if you've got some sort of tinted full sized sedan/van... or anything that looks like it can hold a good amount of people and happens to be tinted? Have you ever ticketed HOV offenders? Are the people that get written up the stupid ones with untinted coupes? Any indicators you use?

..i should probably note i chill in the traffic (usually cus im a bit high) and love laughing at the people getting pulled over in the HOV lanes, getting $900+ tickets.

Entense Supporter
    the other night i was skating home at roughly 3am. i saw a cop at the light ahead so i removed my hood to look less suspect. i was drunk. the cop sees me and does some ninja turn manuever and lights me up. they push me up against the wall and start searching me saying they saw me throw something. do they have the right to just search me for no reason if im just skating home granted im drunk. they took everything out of my pockets out of my wallet and they just left all my shit on the floor and drove off after.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicxfemme View Post
    Being paid to masturbate is a fucking amazing job.

Pimpin Member
    What would happen if a person that is driving intoxicated with a bunch of his drunk friends is pulled over and the driver hops into another seat and throws the keys out the window leaving the driver seat open?

Originally posted by craigeX
    Trinic,

Here in washington state we have (highway?/freeway?) washington state route 520.

Now for a large portion of this route, the HOV lane is restricted to 3 people to a car, not 2. A lot of times during peak traffic hours they'll be doing HOV crackdowns to make sure people are obeying the rules.

But how can they ever know if you've got some sort of tinted full sized sedan/van... or anything that looks like it can hold a good amount of people and happens to be tinted? Have you ever ticketed HOV offenders? Are the people that get written up the stupid ones with untinted coupes? Any indicators you use?

..i should probably note i chill in the traffic (usually cus im a bit high) and love laughing at the people getting pulled over in the HOV lanes, getting $900+ tickets.

I have no clue on any HOV lane laws.

Originally posted by jaybo
    the other night i was skating home at roughly 3am. i saw a cop at the light ahead so i removed my hood to look less suspect. i was drunk. the cop sees me and does some ninja turn manuever and lights me up. they push me up against the wall and start searching me saying they saw me throw something. do they have the right to just search me for no reason if im just skating home granted im drunk. they took everything out of my pockets out of my wallet and they just left all my shit on the floor and drove off after.
    They justified the stop by saying you threw something. By throwing off your hood it may have appeared that way. Skateboards, 3am, and hoodies = prolly gonna get stopped.

Originally posted by deadbolt
    What would happen if a person that is driving intoxicated with a bunch of his drunk friends is pulled over and the driver hops into another seat and throws the keys out the window leaving the driver seat open?

If I seen you change seats then it'd be over. If I couldn't tell who the driver was, and you did something like that, I'd lock up everyone in the car and let the judge figure out who was driving. Usually, if your not doing anything stupid, I'd let you call a ride to come get you. I'm not a big DUI maker.
    [insert sig here]

Got any pics of yourself in uniform?

BANNED
    move over Irish Hammer....theres a cooler cop in town