User Tag List

Page 4 of 142 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the Cops (EF's Official Cop/Law Advice Thread)

Originally posted by Beast
    Got any pics of yourself in uniform?

i erased part of my patch. I have a couple more I'll post later.
    [insert sig here]

Entense Supporter
    Originally posted by trinic
    Not really, that's an excuse that's played out, shit...piss...etc. Although some cases it may be real. I'll rebutt what i said about radar detectors. They work if your not the lead car, if your the lead car, my radar is faster than your detector. if your about 3 cars back, it'll warn you that i'm catching the lead car and give you enough time to jam the brake.
    alright, good to know, i usually only speed with another car or a group of cars anyway.

AddictedToSlurm S. Scruffington's Avatar
    Are you more likely to let people go for small amounts of speeding if their record is completely clean(never had so much as a traffic violation)? Im talking about speeding under 10 mph over

Originally posted by HandSanitizer
    Are you more likely to let people go for small amounts of speeding if their record is completely clean(never had so much as a traffic violation)? Im talking about speeding under 10 mph over

I honestly don't check. Most won't check your driving history. What we want to accomplish is "shocking the conscious." If a 90 year old woman is stopped for speeding, the simple fact of my presence may shake her up enough that she won't speed anymore. If that's the case, and I think thats the case, then that's where it stops. If it's someone that i've stopped before for speeding, normal measures will not work on them and we have to step it up...warning...citations...etc.

I wouldnt stop someone for going 10 or under to be honest.

I will say. If your polite, nice, and i don't think you have a crazy driving record, i'd let you go at 15 miles over....if your 30-more miles over, i'm probably not going to let you go either way.
    [insert sig here]

I have lots of Seniority spigel's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Some states have a left lane, passing lane only law. Alabama had it for a week or two, then dumped it.
    wtf why??

cruise right, pass left is the best law there is, too many people don't follow it. Especially in the southern states, everyone left lane hogs. You really should enforce it a lot more because nothing pisses me off than casual all-lane hoggers and you can't go anywhere.

RIP Алексей Черепанов

Can't enforce it, the law was repealed. I agree, it was the greatest law ever
    [insert sig here]

I have lots of Seniority spigel's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Well why was it taken away?

I'm very hesitant to flash my high beams if i want someone to move over because you never know their temper. So I always do the next "safest" thing, tailgate and they usually just move over. If you did that in the southern states, it wouldn't do anything. The drivers are totally oblivious to anything. I feel a lot more safer driving in the hectic and fast paced northern states than in the slow oblivious-driver southern states.

RIP Алексей Черепанов

Are any people in your dept. issued awesome undercover cars? I'll always see them in the morning's rocking peoples worlds left and right when they're speeding to get to work on time.

I always thought it would be the most amazing adrenaline rush to try and catch speeders.

Because, there has to be some that get away right? Or do you get'm everytime about?

Originally posted by spiegeL
    Well why was it taken away?
    Because "idiots who hang out in the left lane" is a surprisingly large voting bloc.

Grand-High Poster autisticlullaby's Avatar
    What is the best possible thing for a driver that's been pulled over to do prior to your approach of the car?

For example, I've been pulled over twice (Driving my dad's car while his front headlight was out. Cop pulled me over just to let me know because had just recently done away with vehicle inspections and once because of an expired tag on my car [which my mom nagged me about no less than 2 hours before, haha]). Both times were at night and I did the following:

Rolled down my window
    Turned on the lights in the car
    Put my hands at 10 and 2
    Waited to get my wallet / registration so I wasn't rummaging about the car

I do this because I have the idea that walking up on a dark car at night would never be fun, so I want to give the officer as much peace of mind as possible (and I also do this in the hopes it will make them less likely to give me a ticket, of course). Is this something that's good to do / beneficial for me as far as avoiding possible tickets? Is there anything else that I could do to further ease the officer's mind / avoid tickets?

EDIT: This definitely needs to be moved to General, btw. Awesome thread.

Originally posted by the truth
    yeah, Quesadickface was an attention whore

Just act natural. If you do what you stated above, you'd make me think you were a cop actually. Cops do that because they have weapons on thier side or in the seat.
    [insert sig here]

Elite Whore
    What post highschool education do you have? what type of academy training did you do, and how long/intense was the training?

USMC Boot Camp - 13 weeks - intense as fuck
    Military Police Academy - 12 weeks - moderate
    Alabama APOST Academy - 12 weeks - moderate

I'm about 3 hours from atlanta
    [insert sig here]

Elite Whore
    wow, cool. i'm in college right now about a year away from my BA in criminal justice, and honestly i have no idea what direction i want to go with it. i'm interested in law enforcement and i'd love getting into an agency on a national level but ive not no experience outside of college education. not sure how to approach the situation at all to be honest. just wanted to get a gauge of what cops have as qualified background and all.

I'll give you a piece of advice. GO FEDERAL. The benifits outway anything you'll find on state level. I work closely with a USSS agent and he gives me the lowdown on the differences.

If I were you, I'd put my degree to work in the military (no matter what branch), go in as an officer (DO NOT go enlisted). As an officer, your like god to the enlisted people. You have a steady job, good pay, and your gaining experience. Without my military background, i wouldn't have had a chance in hell in the LE world. Your degree will get you a long ways. If you can get a degree in something else, like marketing, with a minor in CJ, I'd do that. So many people have CJ degree's it's getting old. Not to worry you.
    [insert sig here]

Entense Supporter
    I'm currently in Foundations.

Any advice?

Pimpin Member
    Originally posted by Zook
    I'm currently in Foundations.

Any advice?
    where are you taking foundations? I know the school where i'm at has a solid program

Entense Supporter
    Originally posted by deadbolt
    where are you taking foundations? I know the school where i'm at has a solid program
    DC

I head towards computer science or something similar. Computers are where it's at, and going to be for a while. The feds would swoop that shit up quick
    [insert sig here]

Entense Supporter
    I head towards computer science or something similar. Computers are where it's at, and going to be for a while. The feds would swoop that shit up quick
    Foundations in Canada is more of a course for people before they start applying directly to the force. Looks in depth to the Canadian Criminal Code, arrest procedures, uses of force, police ethics etc.

Any suggestions for things to do before I start applying? I've already gotten an internship at The Don, any other steps I should take?