User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Cigar Discussion Thread

The Best In The Northwest Rainier's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    man this is an excellent thread. I have a craving for a cigar right about now.

Entense Supporter
    Nice selection you have there Mech!!

Warm weather is here YAY! Supporting the local B&M:

Torch Lighter
    Padilla 1948
    Padilla 1932
    Padilla Series '68
    Opus X Perfecxion No. 2
    Opus X Perfecxion No. 2
    Opus X Perfecxion No. 2

Entense Supporter
    Oh lordy! Those Opus X's look amazing!

I added a 5 Vegas Gold Series and A Series on friday. I'm gonna smoke the Oliva Serie G on thursday after all my midterms are done.

I love Cigars but never want to spend the money on them, I usually smoke whatever seems good at the smoke shop that costs around 10 bucks. Some Triple Maduros or a brand I've had a few of called Excalibur isn't bad. Had a Romeo and Juliet recently which was pretty decent.

Are you supposed to inhale? I mean, I'm sure it's preference but I can't take it like a man. Do some people just hold it in their mouth? I know a guy who just chews on it just to think he's cool.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PnkRckr121 View Post
    Are you supposed to inhale? I mean, I'm sure it's preference but I can't take it like a man. Do some people just hold it in their mouth? I know a guy who just chews on it just to think he's cool.
    From my experience many people don't and same goes for me. There are some people out there that do inhale but I think they are insane.

I inhale but I used to be a heavy cigarette and pot smoker so my lungs were fucked.

I remember cigars a while back made by White Owl, they were really good. Now-a-Days I don't smoke but If i ever have a cigar its something from the gas station, I like the flavored Swisher Sweets because they taste good.

The last time I bought some really good cigars was for my dad and a couple other members of the family when my Daughter was born. I never smoked it though, I kept it as more of a memento type thing.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PnkRckr121 View Post
    Some people do inhale if they have lungs of iron.

Generally, people don't. You draw, hold it in your mouth and exhale. By doing that, you get the flavor and body of the smoke as opposed to extracting all the nicotine from it. Chewing is common if you're indoors with others that don't like the smoke. I've never personally done it but i hear its pretty much like dip or snus.

Great flavored cigars that aren't cheap ass swishers or b&m are Acid by Drew Estate. They are a little pricey (but under $10 a stick) but they can be had for good prices online. They use an old native american process of giving the tobacco flavor by smoking it or something like that. They are great. Kuba Kuba and blondies are my fav.

Quote Originally Posted by MechAnt View Post
    Some people do inhale if they have lungs of iron.

Generally, people don't. You draw, hold it in your mouth and exhale. By doing that, you get the flavor and body of the smoke as opposed to extracting all the nicotine from it. Chewing is common if you're indoors with others that don't like the smoke. I've never personally done it but i hear its pretty much like dip or snus.

Great flavored cigars that aren't cheap ass swishers or b&m are Acid by Drew Estate. They are a little pricey (but under $10 a stick) but they can be had for good prices online. They use an old native american process of giving the tobacco flavor by smoking it or something like that. They are great. Kuba Kuba and blondies are my fav.
    They use something like 31 process in a natural botanical infusion process.

Great post OP...I work in a cigar store in Houston Tx, I also do articles and reviews.

I'll add something I have written.

--------------------------------------
    Bigger Is Not Always Better

As cigar smokers, we all have at one point or another imagined the cliché older businessman sipping on a fine single malt scotch, puffing upon a big, fat glowing stogie. This image, rooted deeply into American culture, manifests itself in cinema, literature, and even our most treasured of childhood memories, “Looney Toons” (Yep, its true…think of anytime a cigar was smoked in any of those classic cartoons, it was always big fat and offered and/or smoked by a normally nameless boss-like figure). Not only has this imagery dictated our perception of cigars, but also the market trends of America’s cigar buying public.

More and more we see cigar companies marketing the” biggest and fattest” angle, attempting to ride this trend into rising profits. Look at many of the products offered by Gurkha, for example, which produces few if any cigars under the 50 ring gauge mark.1 Now don’t get me wrong, I love big ring gauge cigars, few things beat relaxing in my favorite cigar lounge with a presidente or robusto producing volumes of effortless smoke. I am only trying to open your eyes to what I feel is one of the best kept secrets in cigars today, thin ring gauges! I am talking panatelas, lonsdales, petite lanceros, and my personal favorite the lancero.

Common Thin Gauge Cigars: (These are considered reference sizes, actual may vary)

· Small Panatela (5" x 33)

· Carlota (5 ⅝" x 35)

· Short Panatela (5" x 38)

· Slim Panatela (6" x 34.9)

· Panatela (6" x 38)

· Deliciados/Laguito No. 1/Lancero (7 ¼" x 38)

Wildly popular in other parts of the world, such as Cuba and Europe, cigars with ring gauges of 40 or less provide a truly unique and pleasurable smoking experience. You see, the difference lies in the wrapper: filler ratio.

Why this is important:

· The wrapper leaf constitutes for upwards of 60% of a cigar’s flavor, overtones, and nuances.

· The wrapper leaf is the most expensive and well kept of tobacco leaves

· The filler and binder are made up of lower quality leaves, therefore contributing far less to the cigar’s overall taste, somewhere in the range of 30-40%.

So, the higher the wrapper: filler ratio, the stronger and more pronounced the flavor of the blend is. Large ring gauge cigars’ ratio is much lower, as there is more binder/filler leaf compared to high quality and tasty wrapper leaf. You can test this out yourself, take a line of cigars that you enjoy, and successively smoke the largest then smallest ring gauge cigars in the line, take notes if you must, and compare the flavor profiles of each cigar. More than likely you will find that the smaller ring gauge cigar provides a much more definable and complex profile when compared to the larger gauged cigar.

A little smoking hint: Large gauge cigars can be puffed,” chiefed”, and sucked all day and will *almost* never get hot and lose flavor. Thinner cigars are true connoisseur sticks, requiring smaller more flavorful puffs at slightly longer intervals than say a robusto or churchill. Trust me, the reward in flavor will NOT disappoint!

Many cigar manufactures are starting to release lancero, and similar sizes, even if only on a limited release basis. Padilla, Sancho Panza, Torano, La Flor Dominicana and Joya de Nicaragua…to name a few, now produce a fine smoking lancero! It is up to you the smoker to buy, sample, and smoke as many fine cigars as you can to find what smoking experience you prefer. We are all different, so our preferences in size, taste, and strength vary greatly between one person to the next. Half the fun in the hobby of cigar smoking is trying new things!

Happy Smoking,

The Oracle

1. A ring gauge refers to the diameter of the cigar. One standard gauge is equal to 1/64 of an inch, therefore a robusto with a gauge of 50 has a width of 50/64 of an inch.

Entense Supporter
    Excellent article there z0nar.

Wanna hook it up with cigars?

Willing to pay for them and shipping. I just wanna get some sort of hookup for good cigars at excellent prices (employee discount)

Perhaps we can start up some sort of Cigar Pass. That would be pretty awesome.

I never knew about the wrapper/filler thing, thanks to this thread I'm a smarter cigar shopper and now have my little Romeo Y Julieta cigar box with:

Gloria Cubana Serie R
    Romeo Y Julieta 1875 (great cigar)
    CO LX2

The other three I had purchased I smoked and forgot what they were but one of them was a Romeo Y Julieta 1875.

I'm going to get a nice small humidor soon and get some Opus X and some smaller cigars to see how true the wrapper/filler thing is.

Entense Supporter
    Saw this in Time Magazine

www.cigarsintl.com/SA950

Free Humidor
    Indian Tabac Maduro, 5 Vegas Classic, Oliva Serie G, Rocky Patel Connecticut, Slow-Aged 526, Padilla Corjo, Gurkha (something), and La Herencia Cubana.

All this $15 plus $5 shipping. I shit you not. This site is totally reputable. I would get this just for the sticks but I don't need a second humidor....

Ordering it now, I fucking love you if this is legit.

Entense Supporter
    Fuck it, I ordered it too :p

Smoked a 3 year old Anejo No.77 yesterday

Goddamn that was tasty...

Check out phoenixcigar.com

I have lots of Seniority generic's Avatar
    Heh, didn't realize that the cigar thread had moved in here.
    I'm still working on making a dent in those 7 free boxes I got from Taboo cigars.

Also, I don't know hwo you guys can stand ACID cigars. Those things are nasty and give me headaches.
    Last edited by generic; 5/23/2009 at 4:01 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by generic View Post
    Also, I don't know hwo you guys can stand ACID cigars. Those things are nasty and give me headaches.
    Agreed, my friends smoke them and love them (bleh) but then again they don't smoke real cigars so I guess it's one of those things where they don't know anything better.

My 8 cigars and 25 cigar humidor came in yesterday, SO FUCKING HAPPY.

Smoked some of the Vegas Gold 5 that came in the assorted 8 pack, fucking great cigar.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lolvtak View Post
    Agreed, my friends smoke them and love them (bleh) but then again they don't smoke real cigars so I guess it's one of those things where they don't know anything better.

My 8 cigars and 25 cigar humidor came in yesterday, SO FUCKING HAPPY.

Smoked some of the Vegas Gold 5 that came in the assorted 8 pack, fucking great cigar.
    Heh, I like the Pedobear sticker. Is the humidor a sponge or bead system?

Mine comes in on wednesday, I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by MechAnt View Post
    Heh, I like the Pedobear sticker. Is the humidor a sponge or bead system?

Mine comes in on wednesday, I can't wait!
    Lol I just noticed the sticker on the side. I had ordered a bunch of pedobear stickers for my cars and my friend's cars but I never found a place for those.

I really don't know shit about humidors but it looks like a sponge inside that little casing.

Entense Supporter
    5 Gurkha Gran Reserves
    5 Gurkha Legends

Can't wait till I smoke them!