User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Cigar Discussion Thread

Since summer just started and I started to smoke some more recently I thought I would take advantage of that deal too. Just ordered I am pretty pumped.

Holy shit I rule!
    It has been a long time... does anyone have any awesome deals... b/c I am trying to buy my friend a box of onyx reserves since he is about to have a kid.....

Entense Supporter
    Excellent thread. Great information in the first few posts. Additionally, I would reccomend Arturo Fuente's "The Untold Story" to anyone who enjoys cigars, assuming you can find them. They are something like $13 each

To those, in memory still bright, Entil'Zha Veni, in Valen's Name.

Entense Supporter
    bump for summers almost over

Entense Supporter
    great thread acrylic.

Entense Supporter
    I had a Gurkha Gran Reserve and it was good. The start was excessively spicy though, it was kinda strange.

Entense Supporter
    I LOVED the Oliva Serie G and V. I want to find more cigars like it. A nice toasty, nutty, creamy cigar with coffee. I adore the coffee and creaminess and I want more like it. Anyone have any other cigars like that to recommend me like that?

New Bitch
    Sounds nice, first cigar I smoke was a Macanudo.

I have lots of Seniority aedeos b.a.'s Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    I know nothing about cigars.

That being said, I have a macanudo hampton court and a partacas coronas junior. The latter is cuban, the former doesn't say. I've had them for like 9 months and 4 months respectively. More than likely, they're rather dry. Is there a way I can restore them to a more humid style and make them smokeable? Or do I just go for it? Are they any good?

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AED View Post

That being said, I have a macanudo hampton court and a partacas coronas junior. The latter is cuban, the former doesn't say. I've had them for like 9 months and 4 months respectively. More than likely, they're rather dry. Is there a way I can restore them to a more humid style and make them smokeable? Or do I just go for it? Are they any good?
    Your best bet is to keep that at an RH (Relative Humidity) of 65-70% for a week or two. That could help. Maybe longer. Those two labels are good but I haven't had those particular sticks.

Adding another article...

__________________________________________________ _____________
    The Humidor: A Cigar Smoker's Other Best Friend

Cigars, much like wine, refine and improve (in most cases) with age. This process is called “marrying.” Or in other words the oils from the several varieties and qualities of leaves in a cigar meld to create a much more complex and tasty smoke, as the cigar will be representative of its true flavors and body. Many cigars when shipped, face a taxing journey that often has them sitting in less than ideal conditions for some amounts of time, therefore letting them “rest” in your humidor for a period of 1-4 weeks allows the oils to revive the cigar and enhance the smoking experience. Secondly, the humidor provides a sanctuary for your cigars, a place where they can sit free from elements such as temperature changes, physical abuse, and the grubby hands of others.

First off, a humidor can be just about any well sealed container. I have seen mason jars, wood boxes, Tupperware, IGLOO coolers, etc. used as humidors, and they all work to some degree, as long as proper conditions can be met. I prefer, and strongly suggest a purpose-built humidor, lined with Spanish cedar, with a good solid seal. This will alleviate many headaches of trying to make your own. There are many humidors to choose from, it’s all about your needs and what you are comfortable with spending. As humidors can range from simple cheap $50 50 counts to $10,000 masterpieces of both style and functionality to massive 12,000 count cabinets that serve as both humidors and furniture. If this is your first humidor purchase I suggest a trip to your local tobacconist to help you walk through what they offer. As far as size is concerned, think of how many sticks you think you will need, and double or triple that number. A 50 count box fills up very, very, very quickly. A 150 or even a 300+ will suit many a beginner collector’s needs without the fear of an immediate size upgrade. And as for quality, look for a quality seal around the edges, making sure all of them fit flush to each other, which will greatly increase the ability to maintain an ideal condition for you cigars.

So what are these “Ideal Conditions?”

The commonly accepted ideal temperature and humidity for the storage of cigars is 70 degrees Fahrenheit and 70% relative humidity, or commonly referred to as 70/70. This is fine and dandy, as this will create an environment in which your precious sticks will not lose any “essential oils,” which are what makes a cigar taste the way it does. Now, I prefer to keep mine at a slightly lower relative humidity, somewhere in the 65-70% range, as I have found that I prefer a cigar that is just a touch drier than those kept at 70/70. A cigar that is too dry will feel brittle, with little or no suppleness, it will also smoke far too hot with a loose draw, and it may crack and/or flake off while handling/smoking. Cigars that are too “wet” swell, have far too much give when pushing a thumb against the side, draw poorly, and introduce the problem of mold. There are many devices and methods of maintaining this humidity in your humidor; it’s all about personal preference.

The most common method is simple foam humidifier, that is either included with the humidor, or can be cheaply picked up at a cigar shop. It maintains the 70% humidity mark with distilled water and several drops of PG solution, or propylene glycol, which allows water vapor to be both released and absorbed in order to maintain homeostasis. There are many variations on this, some using a gel with a PG solution; crystals, etc. just find what works for you. Another option is electronic units, made popular by companies such as Cigar Oasis, which contain hygrometers and will automatically release the appropriate amount of water vapor to maintain the desired level of humidity. Now I will let you in on a little secret of mine, I use neither of these. I have found a much more efficient, easy, and cheap method of keeping my sticks fresh, humidity beads. These are small beads that are used worldwide for the preservation of museum artifacts…just add distilled water, refill 1-2 times per month and voila! Just start searching around for them on the internet, as they are easy enough to find. ALWAYS add distilled water to your chosen humidifying device, as tap water is filled with minerals and other contaminants that will quickly clog your humidifier, as well as taint your cigars.

Once you have chosen a humidor and your humidifying device, pick up a hygrometer (preferably dual RH and temp) at your local shop, home depot, etc. It is now time to season and prepare your humidor. Grab a good, clean rag, a bottle of distilled water, and a few beers as this will take about half an hour. Start wetting the rag with the distilled water, and proceed to wipe down all cedar surfaces inside the humidor, including any cedar dividers and such that came with it. The point is to pre-humidify the wood, so to speak, so it does not immediately absorb all of the moisture of the humidifying device. Now close the lid, and let it sit for several minutes until the wood is visibly drier…then rinse and repeat. Do this 4-5 times, while leaving a hygrometer inside to insure that the humidity is leveled off to around 70% by the end of the process. For further over-humidifying precautions, wait 12 hours until you start adding your cigars, just to insure there is no mold growth. And you’re all set! You now have a fully functioning humidor, now all you have to do is fill it up with tasty smokes and you’re on your way to a lifelong experience of good cigars and great times!

Happy Smoking!

The Oracle

Entense Supporter
    I just picked up 10 Padilla Series '68 Toro for $30. I cannot wait to smoke them, they look and smell epic

Entense Supporter
    I was given a Romeo y Julieta Habana Reserve cigar at a poker game. I thoroughly enjoyed that cigar. Went to my local cigar shop and couldn't find it. Although this store was smaller then other stores they own, so I must adventure off to other stores.

I Am Not A Human Being

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
    I was given a Romeo y Julieta Habana Reserve cigar at a poker game. I thoroughly enjoyed that cigar. Went to my local cigar shop and couldn't find it. Although this store was smaller then other stores they own, so I must adventure off to other stores.
    I found the Habana Reserve and the Reserva Real VERY spicy. Felt like I was smoking a jalapeno for the first 1/3. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. I'm surprised your local B&M (brick and mortar) didn't have it, they always tend to carry the major name brands. I even found a liquor store near me that sells Romeo y Julieta.

Entense Supporter
    I was fortunate enough to be given a Partagas 150 by the proprietor of a cigar shop that I frequent. Reading up on it, a box runs upwards of $1000. The greatest cigar of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by MechAnt View Post
    I was fortunate enough to be given a Partagas 150 by the proprietor of a cigar shop that I frequent. Reading up on it, a box runs upwards of $1000. The greatest cigar of all time.
    No...

Not

At

All

Though objective...widely touted as the best cigar of all time the Cohiba 30th Anniversario released in 1996. 1000 jars with 25 cigars a piece.

Average price 3rd party on these right now sits ~$800 a stick.

Party 150's are a marketing scam. They are not worth near the price and hype they receive. Damn decent cigar, but not ANYWHERE near best cigar of all time.

I would place maybe 50 sticks ahead of them, and many regular production domestics as superior smokes.

Entense Supporter
    Consider, it's my opinion. I'm a casual smoker and don't get the opportunity to smoke the most expensive cigars ever. That was my second well aged cigar and it was great. Don't get all pretentious

Quote Originally Posted by MechAnt View Post
    Saw this in Time Magazine

www.cigarsintl.com/SA950

Free Humidor
    Indian Tabac Maduro, 5 Vegas Classic, Oliva Serie G, Rocky Patel Connecticut, Slow-Aged 526, Padilla Corjo, Gurkha (something), and La Herencia Cubana.

All this $15 plus $5 shipping. I shit you not. This site is totally reputable. I would get this just for the sticks but I don't need a second humidor....
    Well, that sucks, I just tried this and I guess it expired. Its now 39.99 plus shipping. Thanks for the heads up though.

So after a lil browsing I found that http://www.cigarsintl.com/sa999 will work.

The First Class Humidor Combo includes:
    1 - 20-Capacity Desktop Humidor
    Plus the following for free:
    1 - Padilla Achilles
    1 - Nica Libre
    1 - Oliva Serie ’G’
    1 - Gurkha Park Avenue
    1 - Rocky Patel Connecticut
    1 - 5 Vegas Gold Series
    1 - Indian Tabac Super Fuerte
    1 - Graycliff G2
    Last edited by Fucko; 10/01/2009 at 5:06 pm. Reason: Found the new code.

Entense Supporter
    I came to realization that I love 5 Vegas! They are excellent cigars for their low price. Much better than some of the ridiculously overrated sticks out there. I got a 15 cigar pack off of Cigarbid.com, 5 classic, 5 A, and 5 Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AED View Post

just leave em in your bathroom for a while the humidity from showing will be enough after a while
    When life throws you lemons, stab the muther fucker that planted the tree