User Tag List

Page 3 of 157 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Main Apple iPhone Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti View Post
    Jmiller's way works, but this one is full gui for the less tech savy jailbreakers and it works like a charm

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...d.php?t=155875

Allows for custom bootlogos and the whole 9 yards
    Ya that just came out. I am probably going to wait till QuickPWN has a version out.

Miller you need to stop waiting on all the hot shit.

Entense Supporter
    Alright so I might try jailbreaking my phone again. This may have been covered, but what's the easiest way to install the apps that I download off Appulo.us? And will I be able to update the apps through the app store or will I have to wait for the new version to get cracked and reinstall?

I've realized that I've spent way too much money on apps and game in the app store and would rather just install cracked versions.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lakai View Post
    Alright so I might try jailbreaking my phone again. This may have been covered, but what's the easiest way to install the apps that I download off Appulo.us? And will I be able to update the apps through the app store or will I have to wait for the new version to get cracked and reinstall?

I've realized that I've spent way too much money on apps and game in the app store and would rather just install cracked versions.
    You can choose to download them on your PC or from your phone. Read post 8. Since it's a cracked app, you'll have to wait for the newer versions to be cracked. I've never paid attention but it doesn't take too long. This time, don't install Winterboard or make any appearance changes.

Quote Originally Posted by thesnowboarder View Post
    Anyone know if you can save your firmware any way, and restore it with your jailbroken stuff?

I ask, because my case is cracked and im going in get it swapped out under applecare and will be restoring it back to factory settings. I would like to not have to re jailbreak it, then install all the stuff all over again..
    I've never specifically looked. From now on download JB ipas from your PC so you can actually back them up as referenced in post 8 above.

I'm starting to post
    Great thread, I've got a 2nd Gen itouch that i jailbroke using this thread. Was unsure about doing it at first but it turned out to be really simple.
    http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...d.php?t=155875 works great and pretty much does it all for you. Post 8 really helped getting cracked apps on my phone after jailbreaking it.

Anyone know about anything about getting an external battery for an itouch? Im going on a 15 hour journey next week, would like to be able to be using my itouch the whole time. Can't seem to find anything that really suits what i want though.

Quote Originally Posted by timbooo View Post
    Great thread, I've got a 2nd Gen itouch that i jailbroke using this thread. Was unsure about doing it at first but it turned out to be really simple.
    http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...d.php?t=155875 works great and pretty much does it all for you. Post 8 really helped getting cracked apps on my phone after jailbreaking it.

Anyone know about anything about getting an external battery for an itouch? Im going on a 15 hour journey next week, would like to be able to be using my itouch the whole time. Can't seem to find anything that really suits what i want though.
    There are various ipod batteries that are on the market. Anything thats for the iphone or itouch should work. There are also lots of DIY solutions I have seen. They plug into the doc connector and then into whatever batterie you have.

BTW I jailbroke my 2g touch and all is well. I am loving all these apps.

Great thread as I will be using this to jailbreak my phone asap.

I have one question though, is there an app out there for landscape sms? I havent found one anywhere
    Last edited by opio112; 3/20/2009 at 6:26 pm.
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life."- George Best

Entense Supporter
    Well it looks like the app developers are fighting back because Apple hasn't. Each iPhone has a unique key assigned to it that the developer gets if you purchase a game. And now developers are including checks in their code to see if your key is in their purchased list. If you installed the cracked version of Beejive IM, they added all nonpurchased keys into a blacklist and can't access their servers. And it seems many other developers are adding similar things. Some are checking the keys and limiting people to a timed trial with the option of buying the app to continue to use it. While others are just collecting the keys and passing them onto other developers and creating a large blacklist.

I'm getting nervous about installing some apps. Some developers are putting in the key check code without saying anything and silently getting lists of people. So they'll either blacklist them later and they're passing the lists on to the other developers to blacklist too. Some .ipa crackers have removed the security checks from some apps, but some they can't get rid of. Looks like most apps now, and most updates are including this phone home feature. Soon the only way we'll be able to play these games and apps are by putting our phone in airplane mode. Or until they figure out a way we can spoof our key numbers or some other way.

Just be careful about what you're installing. Most of the apps I use all the time, I actually purchased. So please buy the games and apps you really think deserve your money.

Threads like this make me really want to help out those small developers.

http://hackulo.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=16832

His game is really good, and I was glad to purchase it. It's the big companies like EA etc that are releasing shitty quality games and aren't updating them that deserve to be pirated.

was thinking about getting an iphone and i was wondering if you could wirelessly use the iphone as a modem for a laptop?

Bad-ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    was thinking about getting an iphone and i was wondering if you could wirelessly use the iphone as a modem for a laptop?
    google 'tethering'

Somewhat Poster
    amazing threads great tutorials. The mac iphone 3g Jailbreaking thread has a few things wrong, or misstated, i Know because i just jailbroke my iphone 3g. First and foremost the pwnage tools does not automatically select what you have selected, and it does not automatically install the IPSW file (your custom build). After you have your iphone in recovery mode you will need to open up itunes, option click on restore and find the .IPSW that pawnage tools created. After that it's smooth sailing

Is there any way to get the 3.0 software before the release date?

Just wanted to post this:
    http://mega4i.com/

Amazing new-ish app. They have a repo of 4000+ paid apps all cracked available for free. The were charging access for them, but then there was a mini "fight" and so they have gone donation only. Great way to try out apps that are pay for.

Entense Supporter
    Yeah just be careful, some of the apps on there aren't cracked and you'll get blacklisted by the developer.

Entense Supporter
    News
    Appulo.us (Can download to PC or directly from phone using Installous) has rewritten the coding to their site and moved to a new hosting server. The site is now really quick and downtime should be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by opio112 View Post
    Great thread as I will be using this to jailbreak my phone asap.

I have one question though, is there an app out there for landscape sms? I havent found one anywhere
    There's plenty of jailbroken 3rd-party apps that do this now. Officially this feature is available in the new 3.0 firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by lakai View Post
    Well it looks like the app developers are fighting back because Apple hasn't. Each iPhone has a unique key assigned to it that the developer gets if you purchase a game. And now developers are including checks in their code to see if your key is in their purchased list. If you installed the cracked version of Beejive IM, they added all nonpurchased keys into a blacklist and can't access their servers. And it seems many other developers are adding similar things. Some are checking the keys and limiting people to a timed trial with the option of buying the app to continue to use it. While others are just collecting the keys and passing them onto other developers and creating a large blacklist.

I'm getting nervous about installing some apps. Some developers are putting in the key check code without saying anything and silently getting lists of people. So they'll either blacklist them later and they're passing the lists on to the other developers to blacklist too. Some .ipa crackers have removed the security checks from some apps, but some they can't get rid of. Looks like most apps now, and most updates are including this phone home feature. Soon the only way we'll be able to play these games and apps are by putting our phone in airplane mode. Or until they figure out a way we can spoof our key numbers or some other way.

Just be careful about what you're installing. Most of the apps I use all the time, I actually purchased. So please buy the games and apps you really think deserve your money.

Threads like this make me really want to help out those small developers.

http://hackulo.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=16832

His game is really good, and I was glad to purchase it. It's the big companies like EA etc that are releasing shitty quality games and aren't updating them that deserve to be pirated.
    Honestly, that seems fair. Hopefully there won't be a mix-up for people who bought legit apps and have jailbroken ones at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzBeBust View Post
    amazing threads great tutorials. The mac iphone 3g Jailbreaking thread has a few things wrong, or misstated, i Know because i just jailbroke my iphone 3g. First and foremost the pwnage tools does not automatically select what you have selected, and it does not automatically install the IPSW file (your custom build). After you have your iphone in recovery mode you will need to open up itunes, option click on restore and find the .IPSW that pawnage tools created. After that it's smooth sailing
    For which firmware? Which post are you referring to? I don't have a Mac so I'm just posting the info to the best of my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbot View Post
    Is there any way to get the 3.0 software before the release date?
    Currently the 2nd revision of 3.0 beta has been released but I don't recommend getting it since there may be downgrading issues, permanent baseband issues for 3G users, and of course limited support.

Quote Originally Posted by BAM720 View Post
    Just wanted to post this:
    http://mega4i.com/

Amazing new-ish app. They have a repo of 4000+ paid apps all cracked available for free. The were charging access for them, but then there was a mini "fight" and so they have gone donation only. Great way to try out apps that are pay for.
    Cool, I added it to the links list. People who charge for pirated apps are in it for the wrong reasons and is the quickest way to get shut down. Appulous is still miles better than this and their stand-alone "Installous" app serves the same function as the mega4i repo. The only way I see mega4i better is if you can download the apps directly off their servers, which in itself is a quick way to get shutdown in the future (Appulous does not host any file on their servers).

Entense Supporter
    Air Mouse (Official Site) (Official Demo Video) (CNET Video)

This app lets you remotely control your PC/Mac from anywhere in your home! You can use your iPhone as the mouse cursor on your computer screen. The tracking actually works extremely well. This program is also fantastic in that it can detect what program you have running on your computer and its sub-menu changes controls to specialize for that program (eg. web browser, media player, file browser). For instance if you open up iTunes or Winamp, the sub-menu will now display playback controls.

You just need to download and install the computer application off their site, then retrieve the iPhone app (legit or jailbroken) to install on your iPhone. Then on your iPhone connect to your wireless home network. Finally, launch the AirMouse app from your iPhone and it should automatically detect your network. You can get this up and running in less than 5 minutes.
    Last edited by MainEvent; 4/20/2009 at 12:02 am.

First time I've really read through this thread. Must say I'm happy with Audiko and have a few ringtones now. Very easy to use.

Entense Supporter
    State of the Jailbreaking Process
    Source: Dev-Team
    Cat. Bag. Mouse.

Well, the cat is out of the bag. The 3.0 firmware from Apple can be jailbroken, and there are now sites out there giving you that jailbreak (after you sort through various ads and browser popups, etc).

Of course it’s not really a surprise that it can be jailbroken. One of the nicest things about the jailbreaking iPhones and iPod Touches nowadays is that once a given device can be jailbroken, it can always be jailbroken. The exploits we’re forced to resort to are down at the hardware level, where nothing can be done about them via software. That’s why within a day or two of 3.0 beta1’s release we were able to snap this screenshot of a jailbroken system:

jailbroken 3.0b1

(we also captured the date of the SHA1 of the above image for historical purposes here and here)

Why did we not release the jailbreak two weeks ago when the above image was captured and hashed? There are many reasons, mostly resource-related:

1. We don’t want to have to release a new version of PwnageTool and QuickPwn for every beta release. Last time around during the 2.0 beta period, there were nine (9!) Apple releases, spaced within a few weeks of each other.
    2. There are unresolved problems that we’re still working on. It’s currently impossible to get the 3.0 firmware to talk to baseband 02.28 where yellowsn0w lives, for instance.
    3. We don’t want to have to support everyone who wants to back down from the betas…because the betas are, well, buggy.
    4. It’s silly to play cat&mouse with Apple during a beta period, when relatively few people are willing to actually use the beta software in their everyday lives. There are ways Apple can tighten the screws, and we’d rather not burn methods just for a beta release.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT THE UNOFFICIAL QUICKPWN RELEASES IS THAT IF YOU USE THEM, YOU WILL KILL YELLOWSN0W, POSSIBLY FOREVER. That’s because QuickPwn, by its very nature, requires you to already have accepted Apple’s official IPSW, along with its baseband update. If you do that, you will (possibly forever) lose your ability to software-unlock your iPhone 3G.

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and so perhaps we should be flattered that so many ad-supported sites are now using our own tools to create unofficial jailbreaks (QuickPwn in particular is so easily adapted from one release to the next that it’s reduced to a handful of binary pattern searches in a good hex editor). But please don’t expect support for them on this blog, because we’re actually busy with the hard part of the 3.0 jailbreak (the 02.28 incompatibility and the new compressed ramdisk they’re using).

Oh, and also the unlock
    Note: While the iPhones (1st gen and 3G) can always be jailbroken, lakai brings up interesting rumors that app developers are keeping and sharing a blacklist of iPhones running jailbroken apps.
    Last edited by MainEvent; 5/10/2009 at 6:45 pm.

Entense Supporter
    Slimming down the bloated iTunes 8 installer
    iTunes is required to sync apps (legit or jailbroken) on your phone and it's also an easy to use music player with lots of features. Many claim it to be resource intensive but it's acutally on par with all other major music players. Here's a guide on how to specifically install what you need out of iTunes and remove the bloatware.

Note: iPhone and iPod Touch users should follow the green font installation suggestion below. The key to this process is simply to extract the iTunesSteup.exe into its individual parts and select which files you desire to install.
    Slimming down the bloated iTunes 8 installer
    October 3rd, 2008
    Source: ZDNet

[Updated 3-Oct 11:30AM PDT: After I did the original research for this piece, Apple released iTunes 8.0.1. I have been unable to find a set of release notes or a changelog for this versions, but I have updated filenames referenced in this post to reflect the new version number.]

How do you supersize a simple music manager? Ask Apple. The Windows version of iTunes 8, released earlier this month and quickly patched after it caused an outbreak of blue-screen crashes, is a 64MB download. (For the sake of comparison, Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP is just over 24 MB.) The full iTunes 8 installation takes up nearly 200MB of space on a Windows PC.

Slimming down the bloated iTunes 8 installerAs it turns out, the iTunes installer has been bulking up for the past year or two. Don’t be fooled by the filename: iTunes801Setup.exe, the most recent version as of this writing, includes much more than the iTunes client. Without any disclosure and without your consent, the iTunes 8 setup program installs kernel-mode drivers, multiple system services, and at least one add-in. It takes a supersize helping of chutzpah to create an ad that criticizes Windows for its “bloat” and then deliver an upgrade with as much unnecessary junk as this one.

The last time I wrote about this, several commenters defended Apple by insisting that every component in that full install was necessary, and that trying to carve away any of those bits will degrade Apple’s awesome end-to-end experience. I’ve looked at the iTunes installer on multiple Windows machines and am convinced that those Apple defenders are wrong. If you’re like most people, you don’t need any of that additional junk. In this post, I’ll explain how you can figure out which parts of the package you need, and then show you how to wrestle control of iTunes back.

For starters, let’s look at everything that’s in the iTunes 8 Windows installer, with an explanation of what it’s used for and how you can decide whether you need it:

* QuickTime is Apple’s multimedia framework, a collection of codecs, plugins, DLLs, and several players designed to help you play back digital media files in most popular formats. The big selling point is support for the QuickTime movie (.mov) format, via the standalone player or an embedded ActiveX control.
    * iTunes is Apple’s all-purpose media player/device sync application. If you own an iPod, this is the only officially supported way to interact with it, although third-party alternatives are available. iTunes also provides access to the iTunes store, and if you own an iPhone you must use iTunes to activate it, update its firmware, and sync its content with your PC.
    * Bonjour is Apple’s implementation of the open-source Zeroconf, a multicast DNS responder used to discover services on a local area network. It’s installed by default with the iTunes download and also installed silently with some Adobe products, a decision that “freaked out” some Adobe customers. Adding unauthorized peer-to-peer services on a corporate network is a distinct no-no, as a number of customers have told Apple on their support forums. (The response? Crickets.) If you want to share iTunes libraries over a network or use Apple TV, you need Bonjour. If you have a printer attached to an AirPort device, you should use Bonjour. However, if you simply want to play media files and sync your iTunes library with your iPod, you don’t need Bonjour. (And Photoshop users can safely remove it as well unless they have a Version Cue server on their network.)
    * Apple Mobile Device Support is the synchronization framework for the iPhone and iPod Touch family of “mobile devices.” This package is not necessary if you have any other member of the iPod family, including the Classic, Mini, Nano, or Shuffle, which sync just fine using just the basic iTunes app.
    * MobileMe is the support software that enables synchronization of email and contacts and calendar items with Apple’s MobileMe service (previously .Mac). It is included with the iTunes installer to update existing installations, but is no longer installed as part of a default new setup.
    * Apple Software Update is a utility that checks for new versions of Apple software installed on your PC. It also pushes new Windows-compatible Apple software programs. Understanding how this utility works is crucial; it can and will install software you have explicitly rejected if you don’t monitor its actions carefully.

So, how do you wrestle back control of iTunes so that you’re not installing unneeded and unwanted junk? Your essential starting point is to unpack the installer files from the single file that Apple provides. You’ll need a third-party utility to do this. If you already have WinZip or WinRAR installed, you can use the File, Open menu to extract files from iTunes801Setup.exe (or, on x64 Windows machines, iTunes80164Setup.exe). I use the wonderful free IZArc utility, shown here displaying the contents of the 64-bit iTunes 8.0 installer.

What’s inside the iTunes 8 installer?

Performing a selective iTunes install involves three steps:

1. Extract the installer files you need to a local folder.

2. Run the installers with the proper command-line switches.

3. Prevent Apple Software Update from undoing your careful work later.

I believe most Windows users can safely slot themselves into one of the following five installation scenarios. Use the bold-faced text to determine which one applies to you, then follow the accompanying instructions.

You want to play QuickTime movies and media clips. If you don’t own an iPod and you prefer another media player to iTunes, avoid iTunes completely. Go to Apple’s QuickTime download page and choose the QuickTime-only option (don’t accept the default, which includes the full, bloated iTunes installer). If you’d prefer an even lighter option, try the unofficial QuickTime Alternative, which runs on XP and Vista.

You want to use iTunes with an iPod Classic, Mini, Nano, or Shuffle. Extract two files from the iTunes8Setup file, QuickTime.msi and iTunes.msi, and save them in a local folder. Open a command prompt window, navigate to that folder, and run the following commands:

* Quicktime.msi /passive
    * iTunes.msi /passive

(If you have an x64 system, the second command is iTunes64.msi /passive.) The /passive switch performs both installations in unattended mode. After you complete the installation and restart your system, you can rip and burn CDs, play music from your collection, buy music tracks and TV shows from the iTunes store, and synchronize music and other media files with any iPod except an iPod Touch or iPhone.

You want to combine multiple iTunes libraries on a local network and/or connect to an Apple TV device. Install the QuickTime and iTunes packages as described in the previous scenario, and also extract and install Bonjour.msi using the /passive switch. Note that Bonjour must be installed on any computer whose library you want to share.

You want to activate and manage an iPhone or synchronize with an iPod Touch. In addition to installing the iTunes and QuickTime packages, you’ll need to extract and run AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi (on x64 installations, be sure to use AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi.) The original iPhone does not support or require Bonjour; I am unable to confirm whether the iPhone 3G uses it.

And finally, decide whether you want to install Apple Software Update. Given the history of serious security flaws in QuickTime and iTunes, it’s crucial to remain up to date with patches for all Apple programs you choose to install. The trouble with Apple Software Update is that any attempt to “update” iTunes will install the other, unwanted packages as well. If you decide to use Apple Software Update, I recommend using it as a detection system only. When you see that a new update is available, download the iTunes installer manually and then extract and update only those components you want.

Someone posts A LOT skoalbandit's Avatar
    I installed installous but i cant find where to open it =/