User Tag List

Page 5 of 157 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Main Apple iPhone Megathread

Later this summer? I guess AT&T needs to implement spying software into their MMS systems at the governments request.

Entense Supporter
    We were just told the real reason why AT&T won’t be supporting MMS on the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G S at launch, and you’re going to laugh… Technically it will work right away our ninja tells us. The are no extra plans or higher fees we’ve just learned (the unlimited $20 package covers unlimited SMS and MMS), and the reason it’s not good to go right away is because AT&T has to manually remove all the “Opt Out MMS codes” on each account. Basically, if we were to summarize this, and we’re going out a little bit of a limb, remove the Opt Out MMS code, and MMS will work with the final OS 3.0 build right away. Who wants to try it with the GM 3.0 build just released?

We’ve also just heard that tethering will be 100% locked out at launch, but AT&T’s in the process of putting together a $70/mo unlimited data and tethering plan. SMS and MMS will not be included in that plan, we’re told.

i'm actually really excited. i've never owned a smartphone before. i was planning on buying the 3G when my contract went up (it went up 2 days ago), but then i heard about the new iphone announcement, and i'm sure glad i waited. the faster processor, more ram, and nicer camera seal the deal for me. i currently only have a DSLR camera, and it's not very reasonable to use it for "fun" pictures (parties, in a bar, at a concert, etc). this guy's camera will likely do just fine for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by dork View Post
    We were just told the real reason why AT&T won’t be supporting MMS on the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G S at launch, and you’re going to laugh… Technically it will work right away our ninja tells us. The are no extra plans or higher fees we’ve just learned (the unlimited $20 package covers unlimited SMS and MMS), and the reason it’s not good to go right away is because AT&T has to manually remove all the “Opt Out MMS codes” on each account. Basically, if we were to summarize this, and we’re going out a little bit of a limb, remove the Opt Out MMS code, and MMS will work with the final OS 3.0 build right away. Who wants to try it with the GM 3.0 build just released?

We’ve also just heard that tethering will be 100% locked out at launch, but AT&T’s in the process of putting together a $70/mo unlimited data and tethering plan. SMS and MMS will not be included in that plan, we’re told.
    You do this all the time in the gaming forum - post info without any links. You need to post links.

PS3: ResidentTruth

Entense Supporter

"EAT IT ALL OF YOU I JIZZED MY PANTS OMG MY BOY"

lmao what's up with that?

PS3: ResidentTruth

Entense Supporter
    Man I was really looking forward to upgrading, but it's fucking bullshit they aren't allowing existing 3G owners to get a discount. At least the upgrades aren't amazing in my eyes and the only good thing I like is the faster CPU. But other than that the camera, compass, and voice are pretty blah.

Entense Supporter
    iPhone 3G vs 3G S Early Comparison:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/i...e-of-the-tape/
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

Pricing on Old Generation 3G phones (w/ contract) available NOW:
    iPhone 3G 8GB: $99
    iPhone 3G 16GB: $149 (unannounced)
    Refurbished models for each discount $20 less.

iPhone 3G S available June 19th (w/ contract for NEW customers):
    $199 16GB
    $299 32GB

Mid-contract upgrade (unsure):
    $299 for the 3G
    $399/$499 for the 3G S
    -or-
    A move that's likely going to infuriate quite a few of you, Apple (or more likely, AT&T) has decided to not pass on the subsidized iPhone 3G S price to current iPhone 3G owners. For iPhone 3G folks, a 16GB iPhone 3G S will cost $599.00 and a 32GB iPhone 3G S will cost $699.00. Original iPhone owners seem to be eligible for the subsidized pricing.

There's been no official word from Apple regarding the move, but Apple's website indicates that 3G owners are ineligible during in the iPhone purchasing process. See image below.
    http://www.iphonealley.com/news/ipho...to-iphone-3g-s
    I recommend pawning off your old phone and buying the newer one third-hand

OS 3.0 Firmware
    June 17th
    Jailbreakers: OS 3.0 should be unlockable based on Beta 5

Entense Supporter
    people are getting anywhere from 200-300 dollars for their old phones im sure a good condition one can fetch 350+

Entense Supporter
    If I could get 300 for my 16gig I'd probably do it. We'll see.

pseudointellectual hipster Snuffaluffagus's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. what a rip off way to let us upgrade...sigh, for being a very "people friendly" company, they seem to be fucking the current users over quite nicely.

After reading those links though, I don't really think it's worth the upgrade personally, if I never need any of those options that will be included, I could just jailbreak, right? Anyone see an advantage of that one that I'm missing?

On another note, using iTunes 8.2 and iphone 3g, I was unable to get past the "backing up" mode after I added a self-made .m4r ringtone (always 30sec or less). When I deleted it from itunes, and resynced, it worked perfect. Thoughts? will that www.audiko.com work better? I have 0 knowledge of it...

Entense Supporter
    people are getting anywhere from 200-300 dollars for their old phones im sure a good condition one can fetch 350+
    isn't att selling the 3G iphones cheap now? like the 8gb is 99 dollars. why would people be paying 350 for used ones?
    I miss Mike and Jose

Quote Originally Posted by Wklyver View Post
    isn't att selling the 3G iphones cheap now? like the 8gb is 99 dollars. why would people be paying 350 for used ones?
    because they won't be tied to a contract / they want an unlocked iphone

Entense Supporter
    ughh i cant decide

im going to buy one for sure

just cant decide if i wanna keep my current one. i always like having a backup phone

backup iphone haha baller

ughh i cant decide

im going to buy one for sure

just cant decide if i wanna keep my current one. i always like having a backup phone

backup iphone haha baller
    haha same here.. the 3.0 GM firmware leaked and people are saying that you don't need a dev account to run it. i wanna try it out but then i might not be able to unlock my phone if i decide to sell it next week.

damn it apple, fix you damn preorder form already!

Entense Supporter
    I really just realized that I paid 199+ tax friday, and had I known to wait till today, I'd have saved 100 bucks for 3 days....I fucking hate apple for that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jbranum View Post
    I really just realized that I paid 199+ tax friday, and had I known to wait till today, I'd have saved 100 bucks for 3 days....I fucking hate apple for that shit.
    go back to the apple store.. they might credit you the money.

Entense Supporter
    Fuck it, heading up there either tm or the next day to raise some cane and get my 100 back. Do most authorized dealers know of this stuff coming up ahead of time? or were only told the day of or the day before?

2nd Edit: So in searching, a lot of people had this same problem. Most said they went back the same day and got it put back on their account or were given a 16gig and had to pay the restocking fee. All the ATT/Apple reps said "as long as it's within 30 days, we can do the switches" and apparently, the 3Gs is gonna be out on June 19th, so why wouldnt I wait for that and get upgraded to that for free?
    Last edited by Snuffaluffagus; 6/08/2009 at 9:44 pm.

3gs ordered!