User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oh shit, i've got NAS

oh shit, i've got NAS

my cat likes boxes and styrofoam. this box is heaven.

i got tired of my 2 500gb drives. i'm constantly having to delete shit to make room for more files. no more! http://www.excaliberpc.com/588442/th...ess-4-bay.html is the NAS and it's loaded with 4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136284 for ultimate storage power. it's building the RAID-5 array now.
    Last edited by Dr. Fangs404; 4/16/2009 at 3:52 pm.

Entense Supporter
    shoulda bought a netapp.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouranga View Post
    shoulda bought a netapp.
    Hahaha I wish. I did a lot of research. My budget wasn't huge (about $400-$500), but I knew what I wanted. My demands were something that supported RAID-5 and has spots for at least 4 drives. QNAP, Thecus, and Synology seemed to be the ones for me, and I settled on the Thecus because it was the least expensive. After playing around with this guy for a little while, I think I'm gonna be really happy, especially considering the price I paid. The Synology was the one I was originally eying because it has a lot more features and has a nicer web UI, but the Thecus was $150 cheaper and according to SmallNetBuilder performs a lot better. I'll come back in a few days once I've had time to really play around and give a more in-depth review.

My original plan was to buy an areca RAID card and just throw the drives in my tower (I have a humungous tower that can easily hold about 12 hard drives), but the areca requires a PCI-E x8 slot, and I don't have one. I'd have to buy a new mobo, and that would wind up costing the same as the Thecus unit, so I figured I might as well just buy the NAS and have a more robust system for the same price.

wow holy shit i can just imagine the fun of going through your library of shit when it's full

dang thats pretty sweet..but why would you need that much storage??

Quote Originally Posted by roflwtflolomg View Post
    dang thats pretty sweet..but why would you need that much storage??
    i had 2 500gb drives that were full (and have been full for the last 3 or 4 months), and i'm tired of having to delete shit in order to make room for new files. i download a lot of tv shows and HD movies.

Casserole with an Asshole aenimav's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    damn

thats alot of cake recipes

Nice.

Earlier this year, I built a shuttle box with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300262328963

The shuttle box is now my media server that runs ps3media server and dishes out movies to my ps3s and laptops.

Wii: 3689-8900-6880-2544 PSN: DrTeeth
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/EthernetGuru/
    Blog: http://ministryofchaos.net

Damn that is some sexy shit there Fangs. I'd love to have something like that. Is something like that pretty quiet?

How much RAM in yer cat?

Daily Dose of Vitamin Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Shitrus's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    In a sewer with my hamster pal, but the sanitation workers really didn't approve so i packed my accordian and had to move to a city in ohio where i lived in a tree and i worked in a nasal decongestant factory and i play on the company bowling team
    ugh i really need to get cracking on building a media center pc for all the hd shit i dl. i cant get it all to stream through my 360 so it would be a lot painless to do so through a mcpc

i just need to get off my butt and start doing reseach/building one

that rig looks cool as hell though geoff, how quiet is it?

edit: i konw its not a mcpc, i was just thinking about it in relation to the size
    Quote Originally Posted by shibby View Post
    in after worthless attempt to refute shitrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    lolllll my man said condoms
    Quote Originally Posted by Nok View Post
    listen to citrus, nigga knows his shit

Not a New Bitch
    fresh. i'm constantly deleting shit too for space.

I recently discovered that a few data CDs that I've burned have become corrupt, and the data on them is now lost. So, I've been doing a lot of thinking about building a dedicated file server PC equipped with some sort of redundancy. This seems like a good way to do it!

My boss just got a storbox with a very similar setup. I was thinking of getting a Drobo (http://drobo.com/) and the network adapter, but I didn't need all that space (yet). Instead I got a WD 1TB MyBook World NAS. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=586 (also a 2TB version, supports RAID). A little cheaper at only $225 at BB.

Do you have a gigabit switch? What kinda of network speeds are you getting with it? Mine works great for streaming to the PS3, but when I copy to it I'm only getting a max of 2.5MB/sec.

Bad-ass Member
    Cool product. Yes, please let us know how it runs. I currently don't have a NAS, except my main rig, with shared drives. I actually need a NAS myself since I stored alot of movie backups and shows.

Entense Supporter
    Psh, a measely 4TB. Talk to me when you break 10 k? Also, Thecus makes good shit. You'll be happy with them. I'll be getting the 5 bay version once money starts coming in again, hopefully by then they'll support 2TB drives.

REAL Official EF IRC channel irc://irc.efnet.net/entensity
    EF first name crew. EF Survival Crew. EF Marriage Crew
    Search for "hdshizzle" or click HERE for my HD movies!
    MOTHERFUCKING JEW CREW

Quote Originally Posted by Kaolyn View Post
    Damn that is some sexy shit there Fangs. I'd love to have something like that. Is something like that pretty quiet?

How much RAM in yer cat?
    it's really quiet. the fan spins around 1600rpm (it's a 92mm fan), and the unit hovers around 37C with each hard drive hovering around 45C. i can't hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shitrus View Post
    ugh i really need to get cracking on building a media center pc for all the hd shit i dl. i cant get it all to stream through my 360 so it would be a lot painless to do so through a mcpc

i just need to get off my butt and start doing reseach/building one

that rig looks cool as hell though geoff, how quiet is it?

edit: i konw its not a mcpc, i was just thinking about it in relation to the size
    this actually has a media server built in. and it also has an itunes server. i don't use either right now, but it has them.

Quote Originally Posted by BAM720 View Post
    My boss just got a storbox with a very similar setup. I was thinking of getting a Drobo (http://drobo.com/) and the network adapter, but I didn't need all that space (yet). Instead I got a WD 1TB MyBook World NAS. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=586 (also a 2TB version, supports RAID). A little cheaper at only $225 at BB.

Do you have a gigabit switch? What kinda of network speeds are you getting with it? Mine works great for streaming to the PS3, but when I copy to it I'm only getting a max of 2.5MB/sec.
    nah, i wish i had a gigabit switch. i'm on a 10/100 (my linksys wrt54gl). write speeds are pretty slow (10-15mb/s), but read speeds are better (like 30mb/s). supposedly. because i'm limited by 100mbit, that's all i can get. it's fast enough, although i'm considering buying a gigabit switch.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyJ View Post
    Psh, a measely 4TB. Talk to me when you break 10 k? Also, Thecus makes good shit. You'll be happy with them. I'll be getting the 5 bay version once money starts coming in again, hopefully by then they'll support 2TB drives.
    someone on [H] tried it with a 2gb WD, and he said it worked just fine (the N5200 that is). whenever i move into a 2 bedroom (where the other bedroom is an office), i'll build my own file server. i don't have the space right now, and this 4tb will last me for a while.
    Last edited by Dr. Fangs404; 4/18/2009 at 8:58 pm.

New Bitch
    And I have a hard time filling a 200 gb hd ._.

Did you consider building your own with FreeNAS? How long did it take to build the raid 5 array?

Gigabit switches are cheap as hell too, I'd pick one of those up

my original plan was to just fill my current case with hard drives since i have a humongous case. however, my motherboard doesn't have an extra pci-e x8/16 slot, so i can't buy a raid card without buying a new mobo. for the same price as the raid card/mobo, i could buy the thecus unit which is a standalone pre-configured NAS. granted, it won't have near the performance of the in-tower setup, but when you're talking about just storage, performance is really the last thing you should be worried about.

i've wanted a NAS for a while, and my dream would be to have a standalone file server somewhere in my place. right now, though, i don't have the space for one. someday, whenever i move into a place with more than 1 room where i have an office, i'll definitely build my own NAS, and i'll either use FreeNAS or NASLite. until that day, though, this guy will definitely last me.

the raid-5 array took about 9 hours to build.

alright, i'm excited. i just bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127082 because it's such a deal right now. i'm anxious to get the performance i should be getting out of this guy.