User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: oh shit, i've got NAS

Entense Supporter
    Eventually, one of you brainy motherfuckers is going to have a sit-down with me and show me how to use RAID. Mirror drives or something. I'm just playing around with words at this point, because it all sounds like rocket science to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingWrench View Post
    Bump. How's it been treating you? I'm planning on getting a NAS for myself soon, and am examining my options. Any new recommendations?
    It's been great. Speeds aren't too crazy (like 25-30mb/s write, 40-45mb/s read), but they're good enough for a storage system as long as you aren't hammering it. For the price and the specs, I've been really happy. I still have 1.23TB free, and I could easily delete a bunch of crap that I don't need to free up more space.

I'm on the verge of buying it! I just have a few questions:

1.) How noisy is it?

2.) Can you access the files through Windows Explorer, or do you have to use the web interface?

3.) Knowing what you know now, would you have done anything differently?

Thanks for the input. I'm getting excited about this!

1. Not at all. I can't hear it.

2. Yes. You just map a network drive (http://www.itechtalk.com/thread3673.html).

3. The only downside to this unit is that it's not incredibly speedy. Speeds are decent (40-45mb/s read, 25-30mb/s write), but they are by no means phenomenal. If I had more money and space, I would've built my own NAS system, but the hardware RAID card alone is almost the price of this entire unit. When I get out of grad school and have a separate computer room and extra cash, I'll definitely build my own. But this Thecus is really easy to manage, and it's pretty cheap for the features it has, so all in all, I don't think there's anything I'd do differently given the same circumstances.

Another question.

Are you using your NAS as a primary storage device, or is it your secondary? And are you using any of the built-in Thecus backup functionality?

Entense Supporter
    might be a good idea to hook it up to a htpc

:: lounge | deep house | trance | psytrance addict

So I just had a hard drive die in my NAS (first hard drive I've ever had die on me, actually). It's still under warranty through Western Digital, so I'm getting it replaced (WD has an awesome RMA system by the way). My files are still accessible, and it seems to be working fine, so the RAID-5 appears to be doing its job. Once I get the new HD, I'm curious to see how the rebuilding process goes.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingWrench View Post
    Another question.

Are you using your NAS as a primary storage device, or is it your secondary? And are you using any of the built-in Thecus backup functionality?
    I never answered this, but I use it as both. I have an attached HD that I use for storing my pictures and music and documents, but I have a batch script that runs every night to backup all my files to the NAS. I also use Backblaze for off-site backups.

Entense Supporter
    have u been keeping this on 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by mario View Post
    have u been keeping this on 24/7?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangs404 View Post
    So I just had a hard drive die in my NAS (first hard drive I've ever had die on me, actually). It's still under warranty through Western Digital, so I'm getting it replaced (WD has an awesome RMA system by the way). My files are still accessible, and it seems to be working fine, so the RAID-5 appears to be doing its job. Once I get the new HD, I'm curious to see how the rebuilding process goes.
    I had a Seagate drive die in raid5 finally as well ... my box runs 24/7 and is my torrent seeder/movie streamer PC. I have my NAS box setup with a hot spare for times like this ... and the rebuild process is generally inline and you likely won't notice it unless you read the logs.

Wii: 3689-8900-6880-2544 PSN: DrTeeth
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/EthernetGuru/
    Blog: http://ministryofchaos.net

Holy shit I rule!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangs404 View Post
    I have a 5x1.5tb setup in a media server and had one of the drives go out on me about a week before Christmas. My rebuild took about 7 hours, but after I just plugged it back in upstairs and went on my merry way.

I was very happy my RAID worked as planned, good luck to you sir!

Entense Supporter
    I know what a NAS is, I deal with them, I even own one but none the less the first thought that came to my head was that this was a thread about Nikon Acquisition Syndrome.

Bad-ass Member
    I bought a D-link DNS-323, and use it as a media server for the PS3 in RAID1 and I have been extremely happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for an easy way to have a DNS with media server capabilities.

RAID rebuild in progress! Man, I'm so glad I went with a RAID-5 system. This was a snap - just yank out the old drive and put the new one in, and it does the rest. Gotta love it.

Son of a bitch, the disk WD sent me as an RMA doesn't support TLER flashing. It keeps dropping out of the RAID, so the rebuild process won't finish. Gotta get another....

Casserole with an Asshole aenimav's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    going to get around to building a nas some day

but ive been looking at what the best solution is for low power draw and can support probably up to eight drives, event though i'd probably start with just six unless theres some crazy deal on 2tb drives. and it must be hardware raid 5 as low power solutions totally wont be able to handle software raid 5.

probably this board (intel atom)
    http://www.logicsupply.com/products/keex_2030

with this raid card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816115057

this is actually the set up this guy used in his video of his 16tb nas build:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BatakM9iAik

if i really had the money id get a card in the $300+ range but its hard to find a low power board that has a pci express slot.

like i said, probably just do 6x 2tb drives (preferably samsung) but if i can afford it then i'll spring for eight drives. then figure up all the max power requirements and add a little for overhead and find a psu in that range.

will be running freenas.

note to future self: come back in time and stop me if 5tb drives are just a few years away and are affordable.

The Fucking King!
    Couple questions now that you have had this for a while ...

Would you have spent the extra money for a different one? (not counting a self built one)
    Have you used the media servers at all? (I would be streaming to PS3 a lot)
    How "hackable" is your NAS? (Would like to be able to install better media server if built in one doesn't support transcoding)
    If yours is not "hackable", do you know of any ones which are? (From what I have read the D-Link DNS-343 is fairly open)

Quote Originally Posted by dizdar View Post
    Couple questions now that you have had this for a while ...

Would you have spent the extra money for a different one? (not counting a self built one)
    Have you used the media servers at all? (I would be streaming to PS3 a lot)
    How "hackable" is your NAS? (Would like to be able to install better media server if built in one doesn't support transcoding)
    If yours is not "hackable", do you know of any ones which are? (From what I have read the D-Link DNS-343 is fairly open)
    1. No, I still feel that given the money I had, I got the best deal I could've gotten. There are definitely better NASes on the market, but I didn't have more than $400ish to spend.

2. Nah, I don't have PS3 or 360 or anything, so I can't say, but I've read reviews that the built-in standard DLNA media server works well. There's also an official Twonky media server module available here.

3. Kinda-sorta hackable. There are a few extra modules you can install here (I have the SSH one installed). I've also upgraded the 256mb of ram it came with to 1gb.

4. I don't know off the top of my head. I don't think you'll find many pre-built NASes that are super hackable. I mean, most run some *nix variant (the N4100Pro uname is Linux Galactica 2.6.23N4100PRO #1 Tue Aug 10 16:08:47 CST 2010 i586 unknown), so they're all hackable if you wanna spend the time. But the modding community for each isn't gonna be huge since each one only has a shelf life of a couple years. If you really want something you can mod, you'll wanna build yourself a NAS.
    Last edited by Dr. Fangs404; 2/08/2011 at 1:11 am.

I upgraded my NAS this week. I had an HP N40L + 8gb ECC ram + 4x2TB hdds. Now I have an HP N54L + 8gb ECC ram + 4x3TB hdds. I'm running FreeNAS 9.3. This thing is fast as shit (~100mb reads/writes). Also, FreeNAS 9.3 is awesome. I'm excited for FreeNAS 10.