Orbitz
    Expedia
    Travelocity

Multi-site Search Engines
    Kayak
    SideStep
    Hotels Combined
    Travelaxe.com
    Farecast.com - Tracks historical prices and recommends buying or waiting based on these.

Hostelling and Budget Travel
    HostelWorld
    Sky Scanner "...Search engine for all the little budget airlines in Europe with some really cool search options (like "Where can I go for £xxx on xxx date?")."
    GoMIO.com Book a hostel room.
    Budget Travel
    1-800-FLY-EUROPE
    Ryan Air and Easy Jet Discount Airlines for Flights within Europe
    Hostelz.com Hostel Reviews and Reservations
    Travel Cuts Student Travel!
    STA Travel Student-oriented travel deals and info. Also the place to get your ISIC card.
    Student Universe.com More student deals, and "great for discount European rail passes"
    Airfare Watchdog Find cheap flights to a variety of destinations after entering your home airport
    www.couchsurfing.org
    travel within the EU and other European nations

I do not take credit for this but I hope it helps you guys out
    Last edited by @bgwin; 6/17/2009 at 9:01 pm.

Entense Supporter
    Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, the Universe

I have lots of Seniority
    Entense Supporter
    for the frequent travelers like myself:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ - shows you the cheapest flights arranged by date/time, airline, etc. will give you a graphical timeline of when each of the flights + connections + layovers takes place, warnings for prop planes, overnight flights, and long layovers. log in as guest.

http://www.seatguru.com/ - graphical seating chart telling you which seats are good and which are bad on any given plane/airline

http://www.flyertalk.com/ - good frequent flyer forum. members post lots of flight deals, ways to rack up points, etc

http://www.milemaven.com/ - another pretty good resource to help you earn the most miles for any trip
    http://www.pointmaven.com/ - owned by the same people, for hotel points

In case anyone is wondering about the Expedia Best Price Guarantee, I just got almost $1,000.00 back from Expedia due to finding a lower price on Travelocity. It was basically a $6,000 on Expedia versus $5,000 on Travelocity.

Just have both Expedia and the other travel site pulled up at the same time and make sure EVERYTHING matches EXACTLY. I literally called 2 minutes after I booked with Expedia and was successful. As long as the flight numbers match up and the room level (suite, standard, etc) match up EXACTLY, it's basically just sitting on holding for 35 minutes to get your money refunded.

If you only put down a deposit, that deposit goes to the airline, and the refund just comes off the remaining balance. If you paid in full, they either send you a check or refund your card. I paid a deposit, so I'm not exactly sure the refund method if you pay in full.

Anyway, hope some of you guys might benefit from this in the future.
    [cursive]Joshua[/cursive]

The Fucking King! Dapper Dan Man's Avatar
    I would also add travel.state.gov.

For anyone in the US this a good site to look at before going abroad. It tells you all the info on vaccinations, visas, etc.

Good thread.
    http://i.minus.com/jImVjEu419qgD.png

i fly alot and a little tip that not necessarily everyone knows is to never buy anything from the travel sites. unless of course you are packaging flight/hotel/car/etc. i always search for flights with expedia then go to the airline to purchase. the price is always the same as it is on expedia at delta.com for instance. that way, if you need to make any changes or if there is a problem, you will deal directly with the airline which is alot easier than dealing with expedia, travelocity, et al.

Lonely Planet travel forums:
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa

lots of good up to the minute info

Failure: when your best just isn't good enough

I'm starting to post
    Many of these sites are good and can get you a lower price than booking directly with the airline, but still play it safe. The next day call the airline directly and ensure that Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, who ever did their job. I wish i had, well something, each time someone showed up at the airport near close out time who's reservation was not ticketed (payed for). Of course the first question they would ask is if they could pay for it there. Sure you can but it is out our price not the one you were quoted with the other guys. Our price 30 mins before the flight on a nearly full flight are expensive.....very expensive. That just comes down to demand. Someone has to get there now and we are the only airline that has it, many are willing to pay that price last minute just to get somewhere ASAP, may not necessary be you but people in distress do crazy things. The most i recall one time was a $200 dollar quoted fare on their priceline, whatever paperwork but ours was $1,600 and that was per ticket and there was 3 or 4 of them. Sorry not the airlines fault your guys did not do their job you will have to call them to fix their mess up. Again we can do it but we cant honor their prices that is why it is their prices. All I can say is good luck getting them on the phone with enough time for them to review everything and fix the mistake before it is too late. Most likely you will just spend 15 minutes enjoying the lovely call waiting music.

99% of the time these guys do things right with no problems at all, but you never want to be that 1%. play it safe call the airline just to confirm the reservation and ticketing.