User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Pizza Recipe

I've used this dough recipe again to make another pepperoni, a pesto margherita pizza, and a pepperoni + jalapeno pizza. The dough has been awesome every time. The cornmeal really makes it. Thanks again for the recipe.

You're welcome, glad to hear you like it.

I'm probably gonna do a bacon pizza up sometime soon since I haven't made one in a little while.

Made this today with my roommate. San Marzano tomato sauce with garlic, onion, oregano, and red pepper with fresh mozzarella on top. (Crappy cell phone pics inc)

On top of the first pizza we had bacon and olive:

And the second was made with sausage and homemade marinated mushrooms:

Yeah, they're misshapen, but they tasted delicious. Thanks again for the recipe.

I've altered my recipe a little bit, nothing major though.

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup bread flour
    1/4 cup cornmeal
    oregano + italian seasoning mixed with the dry mats (maybe 1tsp each or so)
    1 package active dry yeast (about 8g) dissolved in 1/2 cup luke-warm water with about 2tsp sugar

after the mixture becomes "cloudy" and the yeast has dissolved I add about 1tsp sugar and 2tbsp evoo and mix it all up, then pour it into the dry mixture and mix some more. i gradually add upwards of maybe 1/2-3/4 cup luke-warm water, just enough to form the dough and no more. i also have a bit of extra all-purpose flour on hand to add as needed.

after kneading for maybe 5 minutes I form the dough into a ball, oil it up with a bit of evoo (just enough to lightly coat it), and put it in a bowl with a towel over it and let it rise for an hour or so

when it's doubled in size I punch it down to get the excess air out of it, then cut it in half. i form it into a circular shape about the size of my pizza pan, then I lightly oil the back of the pan and toss some cornmeal onto it, then put the pizza crust on top. i spread some evoo on the top of the crust and brush it around evenly, then I poke an asston of holes in to it with a fork. after that I put the pizza sauce on, some oregano, some parmesan cheeze, bacon, shredded mozzarella, pepperoni, then some basil.

cook it on the pan@475 for 3 minutes, then take it off the pan and put it directly on the rack for 7 minutes or so. check it frequently since oven temps vary, but don't take it out too early.

really the most important things are to poke the holes in the dough after forming it into your pizza crust (it makes it nice and crunchy), and the oven temperature. the hotter the better really, and if you have a pizza stone to cook it on you're in business.
    Last edited by Antrax; 1/22/2010 at 6:55 pm.

I'm starting to post
    Looks awesome man, buying ingredients tomorrow evening and def making this.

I've been experimenting with it a lot lately and it seems that less liquid is a bit better. Right now my crust consists of 1.5 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup cornmeal, and I've only been using about 1/2 cup water and 1tbsp evoo. sometimes i need to add a touch more water to the dough to form it, but thats it.

Grand-High Poster
    i just heard of this method of making 'perfect' Neapolitan/wood-fired style pizza.... you put your broiler on full blast, and heat up a cast iron skillet on high flame for like 15 minutes, stovetop. Then you put the pan upside down in the oven, and launch your pizza onto it. three minutes later, nicely charred za that hasn't dried out from extensive cooking. It's important with this method to get your dough pretty thin

.....MN.....ŏ̾ͮ͊͛ͫͪ̓̈́̇͏̛̻̦̙̝̩̀ͅ ŏ̾ͮ͊͛ͫͪ̓̈́̇͏̛̻̦̙̝̩̀
    just made one with a variation of your recipes dough, braised chicken breasts and potato

marinade

splash of soy sauce
    splash of worschester
    splash of tabasco
    splash of italian salad dressing
    splashes of some honey i found from wisconsin trees
    salt to brine it some
    some ice cubes

set in fridge for hours

dough

1 cup all purpose flour
    1 cup bread flour
    1/4 cup cornmeal/whole wheat flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    1 package active dry yeast
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup warm water

let set at least 2 hours

toppings

cooked chicken breasts in olive oil and the concentrated marinade (poured water out)
    with some grated potato cooking with the chicken in the marinade for ~30 mins on med-low.

cheesysauce thing

cup of ricotta
    1 egg beaten
    big spoonful of pesto
    w/e seasonings you want

put cheesysauce down then chicken bits and the potatos. COVER in mozzarella, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
    425 ~15 mins

ate it way too fast high to remember to take pictures :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    yes. it's always when i'm really drunk and i always wake up wondering how i went from nate the 6 year old who covered his glass when someone farted so no fart germs got into his milk to nate the alcoholic butt licker
    he's fucking with the wrong bull. ever since i found out he was coming over here i've just been sitting and getting madder and drunker

Page 420 - Fuck Im Blazed Crew

damn I haven't updated this recipe in a while, i've continued to perfect it and i'm at a point where i've been happy with it for the last few months probably. i'll try and update it some in the near future, maybe this weekend. The new recipe is absolutely fucking great though.

Try using bread flour, makes a world of difference. Also try using a pizza stone at around 500 (I go 550 because thats the highest my oven goes)

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

So is it cheeper to make your own pizza then store bought or dominos? Or do you break even?

That bbq chicken looks amazing.

Most likely cheaper to buy from dominoes but with the right recipe and quality topings you'll be hard pressed to find better pizza.

It also depends on what you have to buy. Right now I could make a bbq pizza for almost no out of hand cash because I usually stock all those ingredients anyways. I would just need to pick up chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

I'm guessing it depends on how much you're spending at Dominos. If you have a coupon it's super cheap. My dominos has a $5 medium carryout special. There's no way making your own is cheaper than that. But you do get the satisfaction of knowing exactly what went into your pizza.
    ________
    Canon Rebel XTi w/ EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

dough costs nearly nothing and can be made in 5 mins when you have the ingredients on hand.

toppings, take it from there, possibilities are endless. im trying to make a new pizza every couple days. 2 nights ago mac n cheese pizza was phenomenal.
    yes. it's always when i'm really drunk and i always wake up wondering how i went from nate the 6 year old who covered his glass when someone farted so no fart germs got into his milk to nate the alcoholic butt licker
    he's fucking with the wrong bull. ever since i found out he was coming over here i've just been sitting and getting madder and drunker

It depends what you make if you're comparing this for prices. Cheese Pizza vs. Cheese Pizza, it costs me around 3 bucks to make a ~14" pizza at home, that I find tastes better than Domino's, whereas Domino's is 5 bucks+tax. When you get as fancy as the Dank though, it may cost a little more, but fuck, is it delicious.

yea fancy gets pricier but its worth it. and you know whats on your pizza and im guessing its still healthier than dominos

given that you are making the same pizza (cheese, pepperoni, etc), it's 99% of the time going to be cheaper to make your own. only real acception is if you get a crazy deal or the place fucks up your total or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoxygen View Post
    Try using bread flour, makes a world of difference. Also try using a pizza stone at around 500 (I go 550 because thats the highest my oven goes)
    My oven goes to about 500, but I don't like maxing it out like that. I do have a pizza stone that I used to use, but it really doesn't make a huge difference I've found (for me anyways, at the temperature I use).

Quote Originally Posted by benji55545 View Post
    I'm guessing it depends on how much you're spending at Dominos. If you have a coupon it's super cheap. My dominos has a $5 medium carryout special. There's no way making your own is cheaper than that. But you do get the satisfaction of knowing exactly what went into your pizza.
    I definitely make mine for under $5. When you break it down, the dough costs next to nothing really, and the toppings are also pretty cheap most of the time. A lot of the times you can just use leftovers and make a beast fucking pizza (chicken, taco meat, steak, fajita meat, etc). Possibilities really are endless.

I am all about making everything from scratch and almost always do (even pasta when I'm making a big home cooked meal), but there is an italian place that sells pizza dough and it's seriously incredible and it's cheap. It's like $3 for enough to make a pretty large pizza and I've tried and just can't make it as well as they do so I buy their dough when I make a pizza.

going to try this out tomorrow, will report back with pics