User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Pizza Recipe

My Pizza Recipe

I've been working on a homemade pizza recipe for the past few years now. If anybody would like to try it out, here's what I've got.

* 2cup lukewarm water
    * 2 packages active dry yeast (8g per package)
    * 2tbls sugar

Pour the water into a small bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the water, then add sugar and stir. Let it sit until cloudy, may take 5-10 minutes. Make sure you stir it up well, the yeast likes to clump up. I stir it a bit at first, let it sit, then stir it some more to completely combine it all.

In a large bowl, add:

* 4cup all-purpose flour
    * 1tsp salt
    * 1/4tsp garlic powder
    * 1/2tsp dried oregano
    * 1/4cup cornmeal

Mix the dry ingredients while the yeast mixture sits. When the yeast mixture is cloudy/bubbly, combine to the flour mixture and stir it all with the back of a wooden spoon (the thin end, it doesn't stick as much and is all around better imo). After you've mixed it up a bit so it's not watery, dump it onto the counter and knead it for 10+ minutes. You want it elastic in texture. This step may require you to flour your hands a bit so the dough doesn't stick to them.

Once it's sufficiently kneaded, make it into a ball and rub a light amount of oil around it all. Put it in the bowl you used for the dry ingredients then cover it with plastic wrap. You make sure the plastic wrap is wrapped around the top of the dough, you don't want any part of it exposed to the air as it dries it out. Now cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it rise until doubled in size, takes maybe an hour.

Punch the dough down after it's risen. Split it into two separate balls and roll them up. Grease the back of a pizza pan (the flat side, we don't want the edges) with either butter, pam, or olive oil. Dust it with a bit of cornmeal, then start working on one of the dough balls. Just work it with your hands and try to form it into a circular shape. Place it on the back of the pan and then just pull it as needed to fit the pan, but try to keep the thickness universal all around (ie: dont do all the pulling from the center as it will be extremely thin there and thicker on the edges, pull from wherever there is excess dough).

Now, once the pizza dough is formed on the back of the pan, brush on some garlic butter. For this all I do is melt some butter, garlic powder, and italian seasoning for about 23 seconds. Brush that on, then poke a bunch of holes into the pizza dough with a fork. This makes the crust a lot crispier, don't skip this step.

Now just apply the sauce, sprinkle some parm over the sauce, then add the cheese and other toppings. I also sprinkle the top with dried basil, you can use some ribboned fresh basil leaves too if you want. Cook at 450 for 15 minutes and you're done.

Crust doesn't look nearly as crispy as it usually turns out in this pic, but I can attest to it being so.
    Last edited by Antrax; 4/07/2011 at 10:43 am.

that is one bomb ass pizza, going to have to try this with my girlfriend, she loves making food from scratch.

Ya thats a great classic. I'm glad you posted it to remind me to make some of our own! The cornmeal really turn it from average to something that is a special homemade piece

Just a little addition, if you want a "chewier" crust try a high protein flour like bread flour or flours that say they are for use with bread makers.

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

Yeah I was thinking about trying a bread flour at some point in the future to see how it changes the taste overall, I'll need to do that sometime.

BANNED
    my mom makes this so i dont have to

real men cook

women bake (sorry oscar)

my bbq chicken pizza:

i cheat and use pre-made dough from a local pizza place. 2 bucks for a large and they even roll it out for you. besides that theres chicken, Monterrey jack cheese, caramelized onions, cilantro and a mixture of masterpeice and stubbs bbq sauces. my gf isnt as big of a fan of cheese so her's is the right side

Quote Originally Posted by Antrax View Post
    real men cook

women bake (sorry oscar)
    Hah, that's how it is at my apt. Baking involves too much precise measuring.

Edit: Holy huge picture batman!

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

could you possibly resize your picture? its a tad to big.

lol but that way you get to see the greasy goodness.

ya one sec

edit: i uploaded that pic a while ago and cant get to it to resize it. sorry

That chicken one definitely looks good. Recently though I've enjoyed simpler ingredients on my meals though. Like nothing but cheese on a burger or cheese/pepperoni on pizza, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Antrax View Post
    That chicken one definitely looks good. Recently though I've enjoyed simpler ingredients on my meals though. Like nothing but cheese on a burger or cheese/pepperoni on pizza, etc.
    fair enough. yours looks bomb too. im just a fan of anything with bbq sauce on it. i put bbq sauce (and bacon) on my burgers as well

Quote Originally Posted by reaper View Post
    fair enough. yours looks bomb too. im just a fan of anything with bbq sauce on it. i put bbq sauce (and bacon) on my burgers as well
    thats all i ever get everywhere i go is a BBQ bacon cheeseburger, my gf hates it but seemingly always wants a bite.

BANNED
    yea i cook everything else

Tried this recipe out tonight and it was freaking great. I suck at rolling dough, so it wasn't even close to round... or square, but it tasted really good.

Grand-High Poster
    One thing you can do:

Put bricks in your oven. Like arrange four to six wide flat patio bricks on the oven rack. This will give you a brick oven taste. When I make pizza at home, I set the oven as high as it will go and let it heat for at least half an hour to an hour with patio bricks. I put the pizza on a floured cutting board and slide it onto the bricks. Just jiggle it back and forth and get it moving first. after it is 'unstuck' you can keep jiggling it and slide it carefully off of the cutting board onto the bricks directly.

Shouldn't take very long to cook, you don't want the dough to dry (5-8 minutes if the dough isnt too thick). if you find the dough ends up dry, try making the dough a bit wetter. If wetter dough is not giving you what you want, try instead adding a tbsp of sugar or honey to the dough to get the sugars to brown the crust for you earlier. This is a way of cheating to get a nice moist crust and brown outside because a conventional oven will usually not get to the temperature that good pizza requires.

As for the dough - i would recommend kneading for more than five minutes to really work up the gluten to get a nice chewy crust. Try King Arthur unbleached AP flour. It is quite good and it is high in gluten. Also when using unbleached flour you might need a little more water.

I tend to lean towards a margherita style pizza. I just blend good canned plum tomatoes until they are almost smooth, but still kind of lumpy and add salt to taste. Then I add sliced fresh mozzarella on top of that. Any toppings go on after this. After it comes out of the oven, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some fresh basil. Margherita pizza... the original, and still one of the best. Also very cheap and easy.

I experiment with toppings on this pizza... a good combo is thin sliced red onion, chanterelle, and gorgonzola on the margh base.

edit: one more thing

When I let the dough rise, I punch it back down, separate it into equal sections, and knead those again into perfect balls. then I brush with oil and let rise again. When youjr'e starting with a perfect ball it's a lot easier to work into a circle. Also, I'm just used to letting dough rise twice and using less sugar. Better bread equals longer rising times and just enough yeast to make the dough rise so I go by that formula for pizza dough too and do the dough at least a day ahead of time. This last suggestion is the least practical but if you want to go the extra mile, this will make the difference.
    Last edited by Yolo Tamasi; 11/02/2009 at 2:43 pm.

^ I'm definitely going to try that brick tip. I'm at school so I don't have bricks available, you think home depot could part with a small quantity of bricks or do they only do bulk orders?

This looks like a solid recipe. But thankfully a local pizza shop sells their dough pretty cheap by the pound. A favorite topping combo of mine that I've tried a few times is some alfredo sauce topped with mozzarella, roasted chicken, some spinach, and red onion.

Grand-High Poster
    you can buy patio bricks, the wide grey ones for like 1.09 a piece at home depot. Just give it a quick wash with water... it won't hurt you even if there is a little dust on your za. And the oven will get hot enough to sterilize it. Basically any bricks will work, it's only serving to make it crispy and to draw out moisture from the bottom. The wider the bricks the better, and the bricks don't have to be thick. Another plus of using bricks is that they retain heat, which is important since conventional ovens aren't designed to be opened all the time.

Nice, my one room mate and I were talking about making pizza yesterday, and now I saw this thread which pretty much sealed the deal. Thanks for the recipe.

The Fucking King! BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    I'm gonna post pictures tomorrow, making the pizza tomorrow night!!