User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: Barnes & Noble Unveils Kindle-Killing, Dual-Screen Nook E-Reader

  1. #21
    Grand-High Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    US
    Posts
    16,893
    Points
    300 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffaluffagus View Post
    Awesome man. And I wasn't aware of that beta, but if it's 3g, what network is it using? Cause, I'm not paying a monthly fee to have unlimited 3g, or is it that rolled into the price?
    NO MONTHLY FEE

    Free 3g internet, ONLY for browsing newspapers, book clubs, etc. Free 3g, anytime, any where, no fee.

    No idea what network, just 3g

    No extra fees! This is baller because I'm in to reading trilogies and such and too many times have I read the first book but can't find the second.

    Now I can finish and instantly buy a new one!

    Or of course read the hundreds of ebooks I downloaded

  2. #22
    pseudointellectual hipster Snuffaluffagus's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,222
    Points
    579 (284,971 Banked)
    well fuck me. That's pretty fucking nice.

    I'll look it up later, but since I'm at work, why do you pick this one over the sony or kindle? Or which is the best, if money is no object?

  3. #23
    Master of Posting
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    your mom's bedroom!
    Posts
    9,806
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    I wish this stuff was around when I started college... would have been amazing having all my textbooks everywhere I go on some sleek looking lightweight gadget

    not to mention I would've downloaded all my books and saved a fuckton

  4. #24
    pseudointellectual hipster Snuffaluffagus's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,222
    Points
    579 (284,971 Banked)
    Downloaded your textbooks? lol I have yet to find any of my normal textbooks available for download anywhere...

  5. #25
    Master of Posting
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    your mom's bedroom!
    Posts
    9,806
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffaluffagus View Post
    Downloaded your textbooks? lol I have yet to find any of my normal textbooks available for download anywhere...
    yes, download them... even paying for the ebook download is still considerably cheaper. I've found my general and organic chemistry, physics, and 2 bio texts in paid ebook versions (and pirated copies)... I'm sure there are others as well.

    if you can't find anything you must not be looking hard enough or have some obscure major...

  6. #26
    Holy shit I rule! vernSL's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,058
    Points
    701 (73,298 Banked)
    I want one really bad. I might pick one up after Christmas.

    Plus I'm expecting some cool stuff with the bottom screen since it's runs Android. We'll probably see apps for it, and cool hacks.

    The kindle is thinner, but this is a much nicer ebook reader. The ability to share books and the fact that it has a second screen that isn't e-ink is great. E-ink is slow as fuck and doesn't work so great when you're browsing for books, etc.


  7. #27
    The Fucking King! anom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,403
    Points
    81 (0 Banked)
    Has anyone seen any comparisons or reviews on this?

  8. #28
    Pimpin Member marcuspfister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    821
    Points
    22 (0 Banked)
    Hands-on Gizmodo review: http://gizmodo.com/5420216/barnes--noble-nook-review

    Summary for those who don't want to read the whole review:

    [+] Great all-around ebook reader
    [+] Second screen serves useful purpose
    [+] Expansion and evolution possibilities of this very device are great, especially with touchscreen and Android OS
    [+] Lending and in-store Barnes & Noble action will be huge

    [=] A little thicker than Kindle, but as a tradeoff, it's a little smaller footprint
    [=] Wi-Fi doesn't seem to matter now—hopefully it will prove to be an advantage later
    [=] LCD and other features mean less battery life than Kindle, but still adequate, "measured in days"
    [=] Many of the Kindle killer functions, like lending and in-store perks, weren't tested, as they are rolling out this week

    [-] Current software is buggy and sluggish in spots; hopefully fixes and optimization will come soon
    [-] Second-screen possibilities are great, but current implementation is cautious and conservative
    Gouranga's new bitch

  9. #29
    Grand-High Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    US
    Posts
    16,893
    Points
    300 (0 Banked)
    After the mediocre engadget review I bought a kindle.

    GOD I LOVE THIS THING

  10. #30
    Super Moderator Moo Strength's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,763
    Points
    6,410 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcuspfister View Post
    yeah, not interested until e-ink comes out in color.
    That would defeat the point. And doing anything in color requires the display to be an LCD, which kills the battery time. e-Ink readers are awesome the way they are. If you want color stick to an iPhone or a Blackberry or Blackjack.

    Quote Originally Posted by Achay View Post
    I'd still rather have a Kindle.
    Kindle imho sucks. The kindle has no expansion slot, you have to email any book you want on your reader to Amazon and they email it back. I'm really hesitant to put my books out into the offices of Amazon and have them know just how many books I really have.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dot Beta View Post
    NO MONTHLY FEE

    Free 3g internet, ONLY for browsing newspapers, book clubs, etc. Free 3g, anytime, any where, no fee.

    No idea what network, just 3g

    No extra fees! This is baller because I'm in to reading trilogies and such and too many times have I read the first book but can't find the second.

    Now I can finish and instantly buy a new one!

    Or of course read the hundreds of ebooks I downloaded
    Wait, did you buy the Nook or a Kindle?

    If you bought a Nook, how big is your screen and what number of grayscale levels does it have? Have you tested PDF's on it?

    I own an Astak eReader and love it. Mine lasts close to 3 weeks without needing a charge, and is based on an open source Linux OS, and supports the SDHC expansion. The touchscreen feature is kind of pointless for a reader.

    I'd be interested to see how a nook handles the bigger books, ones that are over 1.2MB in size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy
    Finished the round of life for the day

  11. #31
    Holy shit I rule! vernSL's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,058
    Points
    701 (73,298 Banked)
    The nook has been rooted, get ready for some cool stuff coming out pretty soon.

    http://phandroid.com/2009/12/14/barn...k-gets-rooted/

    So what can a rooted nook do?

    "Everything a rooted Android phone can do" - NookDevs twitter


  12. #32
    Grand-High Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    US
    Posts
    16,893
    Points
    300 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
    That would defeat the point. And doing anything in color requires the display to be an LCD, which kills the battery time. e-Ink readers are awesome the way they are. If you want color stick to an iPhone or a Blackberry or Blackjack.



    Kindle imho sucks. The kindle has no expansion slot, you have to email any book you want on your reader to Amazon and they email it back. I'm really hesitant to put my books out into the offices of Amazon and have them know just how many books I really have.



    Wait, did you buy the Nook or a Kindle?

    If you bought a Nook, how big is your screen and what number of grayscale levels does it have? Have you tested PDF's on it?

    I own an Astak eReader and love it. Mine lasts close to 3 weeks without needing a charge, and is based on an open source Linux OS, and supports the SDHC expansion. The touchscreen feature is kind of pointless for a reader.

    I'd be interested to see how a nook handles the bigger books, ones that are over 1.2MB in size.
    What the fuck are you talking about.

    It supports USB transfers. I have tested dropping PDF and .txt docs on my kindle no problem.

    Maybe some formats need that formatting that I have not tried but USB work just fine for what I've tried.

    I got the kindle. It shits flowers.

  13. #33
    Super Moderator Moo Strength's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,763
    Points
    6,410 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot Beta View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about.

    It supports USB transfers. I have tested dropping PDF and .txt docs on my kindle no problem.

    Maybe some formats need that formatting that I have not tried but USB work just fine for what I've tried.

    I got the kindle. It shits flowers.
    Do you have a Kindle, Kindle 2 or Kindle DX? Does the Kindle you have support tree style folder support (where you can make or create sub-folders inside of sub-folders, to effectively sort by author, then series as needed)? Does your kindle have an SD slot?

    via wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

    File format support

    E-books of unencrypted .MOBI files, .TXT files, or .AZW formats can be transferred to the Kindle over a USB connection and read, but any other e-book formats are not supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy
    Finished the round of life for the day

  14. #34
    Someone posts A LOT
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    san diego
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,695
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
    That would defeat the point. And doing anything in color requires the display to be an LCD, which kills the battery time. e-Ink readers are awesome the way they are. If you want color stick to an iPhone or a Blackberry or Blackjack.
    not necessarily. e-ink can definitely go color, just needs some work, and I am sure it's being done already.

    if you read the wiki page, which I did before posting this, you can see the concept behind it is pretty simple, they apply an E field to a bunch of cells that have positively and negatively charged capsules that cause the black/grey levels to toggle on off or some scale in between.

    You just need to make the capsules smaller, includes R G and B colored ones then have each one respond to the appropriate field to make the right colors. Yeah it's probably not that easy but you definitely don't NEED an LCD, and if you want to get real technical, you can do color with LED or OLED which is not the same system as LCD, so I am sure there are clever folks working on a similar low power system for color e-books.




    I've been thinking about getting an ebook reader, but I am still on the fence.

    My wife has the original sony and it's screen is just fantastic, the contrast is great, but it has no connectivity which is really only a minor concern since I don't think I would want to buy a whole lot of books anyways.

    The nook has an expansion slot which makes it nice.

    I would have hinged it all on the second color screen, but after using it in person, it had a horrible refresh rate and poor input recognition, it needs a LOT of work, but I think it still has great potential, so I'll wait it out I think.

  15. #35
    Pimpin Member marcuspfister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    821
    Points
    22 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
    That would defeat the point. And doing anything in color requires the display to be an LCD, which kills the battery time. e-Ink readers are awesome the way they are. If you want color stick to an iPhone or a Blackberry or Blackjack.
    pretty sure color e-paper is a highly requested feature..which is why the color kindle is aiming for a 2010 release date.

    and that's like saying the gameboy was fine the way it was without color, but it was SO much better in color.
    Gouranga's new bitch

  16. #36
    Pimpin Member marcuspfister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    821
    Points
    22 (0 Banked)
    Continuing the trend of delays, now some Nooks won't even arrive before Christmas. Barnes & Noble is sending a $100 gift card to pre-orderers who aren't scheduled to get one before December 24. A small consolation for ruining Christmas
    Link: http://gizmodo.com/5430364/you-get-1...e-by-christmas

    Sounds pretty good to me
    Gouranga's new bitch

  17. #37
    Super Moderator Moo Strength's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,763
    Points
    6,410 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by codezero View Post
    not necessarily. e-ink can definitely go color, just needs some work, and I am sure it's being done already.

    if you read the wiki page, which I did before posting this, you can see the concept behind it is pretty simple, they apply an E field to a bunch of cells that have positively and negatively charged capsules that cause the black/grey levels to toggle on off or some scale in between.

    You just need to make the capsules smaller, includes R G and B colored ones then have each one respond to the appropriate field to make the right colors. Yeah it's probably not that easy but you definitely don't NEED an LCD, and if you want to get real technical, you can do color with LED or OLED which is not the same system as LCD, so I am sure there are clever folks working on a similar low power system for color e-books.

    I've been thinking about getting an ebook reader, but I am still on the fence.

    My wife has the original sony and it's screen is just fantastic, the contrast is great, but it has no connectivity which is really only a minor concern since I don't think I would want to buy a whole lot of books anyways.

    The nook has an expansion slot which makes it nice.

    I would have hinged it all on the second color screen, but after using it in person, it had a horrible refresh rate and poor input recognition, it needs a LOT of work, but I think it still has great potential, so I'll wait it out I think.
    Let me clarify, I didn't mean to indicate it will never happen. I realize eventually this will come to pass, especially considering the huge potential for colleges and some high schools to deliver their books digitally, where you would definitely need color.

    But for now, for reading novels, which is primarily what I'm using it for, it's perfect. I had a buddy who had the Sony and didn't like it, you can't store books in a tree style format with the Sony eReaders, all the books have to sit in the same directory.

    I talked to guys on a mobile eReader Forum and came to the conclusion that I didn't want an eReader from Amazon, I can't live with something I can't expand.

    I think it will be at least a year if not 2-3 before color eReaders show up. The other thing is cost, right now I would think that color eReaders would fetch at least $500, if not closer to $700 or more. The reader I bought was $250, a steal for what it does for me. I slapped an 8GB SDHC card inside it, after copying about 6GB worth of books on it. It reads PDF, Mobi, TXT, RTF, LIT (which is surprisingly just about the most common format I find on Rapidshare). I've got about 9.8GB worth of books to sift through at present, although I'm willing to bet that at least 2GB worth is probably duplicate formats.

    Quote Originally Posted by marcuspfister View Post
    pretty sure color e-paper is a highly requested feature..which is why the color kindle is aiming for a 2010 release date.

    and that's like saying the gameboy was fine the way it was without color, but it was SO much better in color.
    I agree, it is a requested feature, but with the existing technology in LCD usage, Lithium Ion battery usage limits, I think there needs to be some changes to the existing technology before an LCD display can last anywhere near the lifespan of the existing LCD displays on battery power. The eReader I have lasts like 2 weeks before I have to charge it.

    Keep in mind the Gameboy came out in 1989. It was almost 10 years before they came out with the Gameboy color, and the battery life of a gameboy color is 10 hours, I read at least an hour a night if not 2. And the gameboy display is not exactly easy to read, the DPI is too low I think for reading long term.
    Last edited by Moo Strength; 12/21/2009 at 6:48 am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy
    Finished the round of life for the day

  18. #38
    Someone posts A LOT
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    san diego
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,695
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
    Let me clarify, I didn't mean to indicate it will never happen. I realize eventually this will come to pass, especially considering the huge potential for colleges and some high schools to deliver their books digitally, where you would definitely need color.
    ah! ok, I thought you meant to say that for some reason you thought it just wasn't possible, so no worries.

    I am totally with you on all that stuff. I don't need color, not worth paying more for color at this point. I agree about the expansion as well.

    It sounds to me like the Nook will take care of most worries, and since it is Android has the potential to at least be modified easily enough to adapt to particular needs.

    The only worry I have about the people rooting the Nooks is that I bet AT&T will eventually figure out a way to cut your device from the data system if it is compromised, and on top of that I bet there is small print saying that if you've done this, they can lock your device out permanently, so I am wary of that.

    Till then, it looks like the PDF support is reasonable, all the other stuff is nice, they are actively updating the software, so we'll see.

  19. #39
    I have lots of Seniority aedeos b.a.'s Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    washington
    Age
    32
    Posts
    132,475
    Points
    30 (0 Banked)

  20. #40
    Someone posts A LOT
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    san diego
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,695
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    wow AED, interesting. I am paranoid about that kind of tracking on the web but hadn't considered that they were doing the same with eBook Readers. It really annoys me that product marketing and analysis is so pervasive.

    Maybe the rooted Nooks will be able to be modified even more to avoid usage tracking.

    Do they only log searches? Seems like they would be logging the actual usage of the reader too, like if you are reading PDFs and etc...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •