User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barnes & Noble Unveils Kindle-Killing, Dual-Screen Nook E-Reader

100% Radical
    Entense Supporter

Barnes & Noble Unveils Kindle-Killing, Dual-Screen Nook E-Reader

Barnes & Noble Unveils Kindle-Killing, Dual-Screen Nook E-Reader

If you just ordered a Kindle, stop reading now or youre in for a giant dose of buyers remorse. Barnes and Noble unveiled a new e-book reader called Nook, and it is hot, both inside and out.

Nook looks a lot like Amazons white plastic e-book reader, only instead of the chiclet-keyboard there is a color multitouch screen, to be used as a keyboard or to browse books, cover-flow style. The machine runs Googles Android OS and it will have wireless capability from AT&T.

The $260 Nooksame price as the Kindle 2-is expected to be on sale at the end of November.

The Nook has the regular black-and-white E Ink display and a 3.5-inch color touchscreen. The latter allows users to browse books. The Nook also comes with built-in WiFi, 2GB of internal storage, MP3 player and supports open formats such as EPUB. Nook users have features such as bookmarks, and the ability to share books with friends for up to a fortnight through other e-readers, smartphones or computers.

Barnes and Noble has said Nook customers will have access to its online bookstore that includes books, newspapers and magazines. The Nook itself can hold up to 1,500 e-books.

Gizmodo, first showed leaked images of the Nook last week. The blog said that B&N will be discounting titles heavily in their electronic format, which is as is should be (no paper, printing or shipping costs). The Nook will also be able to get books from the Google Books Project.

Earlier Tuesday, Wall Street Journal, had a peek at an at ad set to run in The New York Times this coming Sunday. The ad features the line Lend eBooks to friends, and this has the potential to destroy the Kindle model. One of the biggest problems with e-books is that you cant lend or re-sell them. If B&N is selling e-books cheaper than the paper versions, then the resale issue is moot. And lending, even if your friends need a Nook, too, takes away the other big advantage of paper.

In fact, this loaning function could be the viral feature that makes the device spread. Who would buy a walled-garden machine like the Kindle when the Nook has the same titles, cheaper, and you can borrow? The Nook is already starting to look like the real internet to the Kindles AOL.

Finally an eBook reader I can get behind.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...reader-leaked/

I am excited about this. I have been debating on the kindle, but its lack of share enabled content has kept me holding back.

I can definitely add this to my secret santa wish list

Wii: 3689-8900-6880-2544 PSN: DrTeeth
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/EthernetGuru/
    Blog: http://ministryofchaos.net

yeah, not interested until e-ink comes out in color.
    Gouranga's new bitch

Quote Originally Posted by marcuspfister View Post
    yeah, not interested until e-ink comes out in color.
    What books are in color ?

Wii: 3689-8900-6880-2544 PSN: DrTeeth
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/EthernetGuru/
    Blog: http://ministryofchaos.net

Quote Originally Posted by teething View Post
    What books are in color ?

no but seriously, if i'm going to be viewing pdfs or magazines, i'd prefer to read them in color. books may not be useful in color, but it'd be nice to have some added functionality like highlighting. (why i'd prefer a tablet any day)
    Gouranga's new bitch

Entense Supporter
    The nook allows for highlighting, obviously in a shade of gray or black. But I agree I would only really be interested in a color e-book reader. Getting magazines in color would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by lakai View Post
    The nook allows for highlighting, obviously in a shade of gray or black. But I agree I would only really be interested in a color e-book reader. Getting magazines in color would be amazing.
    yeah you're right, i just read about the highlighting feature, but i'd rather highlight the passage by touching the passage as opposed to selecting the passage with a D-pad if you know what i mean.
    Gouranga's new bitch

Grand-High Poster
    Anyone buying this on the 30th or already preorder it?

I'm going to the store on the 30th.

Somewhat Poster
    Dot hate to burst your bubble but you will not be able to get one unless you pre-ordered.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/20/b...-the-holidays/

Entense Supporter
    I'd still rather have a Kindle.

Grand-High Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzBeBust View Post
    Dot hate to burst your bubble but you will not be able to get one unless you pre-ordered.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/20/b...-the-holidays/
    You can still get them in stores.

The online preorders were sold out, and they don't ship until mid Dec

Somewhat Poster
    this was posted today by a Barnes and Noble employee,

"Yes, it is true that you can no longer receive Nook before Christmas, but Barnes and Noble is still taking orders. Take it from a Bookseller who works there. They will be available in January. But when you do order now as a gift for some one, Barnes and Noble will send a holiday certificate saying that someone special has given you a nook and it will be in your hands in early next year. Personally I think the response to Nook that I've seen has been incredible. It looks awesome and has so many cool features that dominate over the kindle. So don't disregard Nook just because it won't be here in time for Christmas"

I would call the store before you make the trek out.

Somewhat Poster
    Dot Beta, did you have any luck getting one from the store, let me know cause I would be interested in one as well.

Grand-High Poster
    They changed the store date to Dec 7. MY LOCAL store will have a floor test model, some high traffic sites will have it for sale in stoor

I have lots of Seniority aedeos b.a.'s Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    I don't want to be tempted by this

pseudointellectual hipster Snuffaluffagus's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    I thought I heard this one could only connect to wifi while at B&N stores? that would kind of suck.

Anyone done any research and found out which of the 3 available now (kindle, this, sony) is the best? I've heard the kindle is still the best, just more expensive.

Somewhat Poster
    wow if it could only connect to barnes and nobel wifi that would make it kind of useless.

Grand-High Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffaluffagus View Post
    I thought I heard this one could only connect to wifi while at B&N stores? that would kind of suck.

Anyone done any research and found out which of the 3 available now (kindle, this, sony) is the best? I've heard the kindle is still the best, just more expensive.
    It has built in 3g internet like the Kindle. You can be ANYWHERE and access the online book stores.

welp turns out I got a Kindle for xmas, I wish you could put comics on them. that would be ever so fly.

pseudointellectual hipster Snuffaluffagus's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Awesome man. And I wasn't aware of that beta, but if it's 3g, what network is it using? Cause, I'm not paying a monthly fee to have unlimited 3g, or is it that rolled into the price?