User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking [everything]

Since you have electric I would try a brisket, one of those things you can throw in saturday night and take out the next afternoon without much fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

Yeah, the only problem is that I have to restock the wood and water every 2-3 hours.

I want to play with a bigger water pan and foil most of it, and maybe a deeper chip pan...I'd like to be able to go 4-6 hours between if possible. I know alot of people only smoke 50% of the time, and just heat the other 50%..but I havent tried that yet.

I have meat pictures from last time. I also made my bbq sauce and beans again. I want to do something else with the sauce...
    i like boobs.

Grand-High Poster
    hey so I picked up an electric smoker like this one:

for free.

I plugged it in, and within two minutes, it blew up.

So I just used it as a charcoal/wood smoker. Anyway, me and actusual attempted a pork shoulder and it turned out okay, but I couldn't get it to the pulled-pork consistency. Nevertheless, it was smoky, juicy, and tender. I think it needed a good four or five hours longer to reach that stage where it just pulls apart.. I regret not cutting it into smaller pieces (it was a 5.5 pound cut).

We also made a BBQ sauce that was damn good, but honestly it was better suited for chicken. It was made of:

(canned) roasted crushed tomatoes
    apple cider
    apple cider vinegar
    tomato paste
    brown sugar
    beer
    a lil corn starch slurry
    chipotle, onion, garlic, paprika, and a touch of cumin, oregano, and cinnamon. The cinnamon at the end added quite some depth. Few other things went in, but I'm not 100%, I was getting quite drunk and we were wingin it. We also took your idea of smoking the sauce. Genius stuff dude.

I'm going to make a batch that has apple sauce, apple juice, and whiskey as its base. Liquid smoke, too. For the darker meats.

Anyway we had a tough time managing the fire, and we had no external temp guage, just an oven thermo inside. Things to work on for sure. Next week, hopefully, I'm bbq'ing a couple quartered chickens and funds permitting, ribs. We used about two bags of charcoal because we couldn't stop air leaks, which made the coal burn fast, and because the size of the cut required like eight or nine hours of cooking.

I also plan on doing some cold smoking if I can resolve these issues first.
    Last edited by Yolo Tamasi; 2/03/2010 at 2:12 am.

I have lots of Seniority aedeos b.a.'s Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    I tried one today, as well, but it wasn't working well. It was user error, though. I can't wait to give it another try. The ribs turned out okay, with a pretty good rub, but I didn't do the meat well and it got a little burnt when I transferred it to the grill. Trial and error, aye?

h4ppydaze, Have you cold smoked before? I want to do some cheese soon. Just the soldering iron in the coffee can method. it would probably need to warm up outside a bit though.

And my pork butt isnt always fall apart either. I cant decide if it needs more time or not. I usually do 8 hours in the smoker, and 2 hours in the cooler (or..heater) wrapped in foil, with the cooler wrapped in blankets. When you take it out its still so hot you cant barely touch it.

Im doing another 2 butts (a 3lb, and a 4 lb) tonight/tomorrow. I might shoot for 12-14 hours, maybe less smoke. Last time it was almost too smokey...so I think I could stretch my time between restocking a bit.

I recently got my redi chek et-7 thermometer..but I need to drill some holes or something so I can get them in the smoker. I cant get my door to seal if I run them in through there.

Here was last time:

Thats a beer in the butt chicken, and my beans in the back...Which are awesome.

i like boobs.

For boson butts you need internal temp at least 195-200 for nice pulled texture. and at 225-250 that's usually 1.5 - 2 hours per pound.

Pac, that's a FEAST.

On your comment about adding smoke, for butts add it for the first 2 hours after that its not going to do much. If you add too much smoke it end up building up on the bark and can make a bitter flavor.
    Last edited by Zoxygen; 2/03/2010 at 6:35 pm.

Entense Supporter
    How do you get heat if you're not adding smoke? Also, there's a quarter-sized vent in the top of mine. Should I have that?

since yours is electric the heating element will be the heat source. Wood doesn't make it hotter it just shows you its hot.

And yes you want the vent. It's an exhaust vent so you always have fresh smoke. If you plugged it up you could get a stale smoke flavor.

Entense Supporter
    sweet

I woke up at 6 this morning and got the butts out on the smoker by about 6:30.

Then I accidentally fell asleep at like 1030 and didnt wake up til 145, and my water tray had probably been dry for several hours.

Oh well.

Im shooting for 14 hours, 12 in the smoker, 2 in the cooler.
    i like boobs.

.....MN.....ŏ̾ͮ͊͛ͫͪ̓̈́̇͏̛̻̦̙̝̩̀ͅ ŏ̾ͮ͊͛ͫͪ̓̈́̇͏̛̻̦̙̝̩̀
    want pix
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    yes. it's always when i'm really drunk and i always wake up wondering how i went from nate the 6 year old who covered his glass when someone farted so no fart germs got into his milk to nate the alcoholic butt licker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    he's fucking with the wrong bull. ever since i found out he was coming over here i've just been sitting and getting madder and drunker

Page 420 - Fuck Im Blazed Crew

okok
    This is where they are sitting RIGHT now (5:15, 11 hours in)

Notice my thermometer. This is the downside to electric... It blew my fucking breaker. Its at~ 25 degrees, and the meat is nearly cold. Im trying to go with the "if your looking, you aint cookin" method and monitoring the meat less than usual..so who knows how longs its been off.

its snowing a little, so this may have been the culprit.

anyways, it looks like it usually does...Nothing exciting really. Im throwing on a handful of chicken breast's I'v had in the fridge for a few weeks. Those will only take ~1.5 hours. Im not doing my normal feast tonight...Im putting the sides on the lady tonight. I think she's making dumpster beans, or whatever they are called. Bacon, beans, delicious.
    i like boobs.

Thats a pretty solid pile of meat.

thats after 15 hours in the smoker..I didnt put it in the cooler...

the smaller one got a LITTLE dry at the tip (which was fine when it was mixed in), but other then that, this was probably the best batch. I used a bit less smoke (I refilled my chips twice, instead of every 2 hours) so the bark turned out much better. It was still plenty smoked.
    i like boobs.

Nice, Im glad it turned out good. nothing is worse then waiting 12 hours for nothing!

Grand-High Poster
    this weekend me and actusual be doin some cornish game hens and spare ribs. Excited.

Quote Originally Posted by h4ppydaze View Post
    this weekend me and actusual be doin some cornish game hens and spare ribs. Excited.
    Make sure to try and get St. Luis cut it you can. they have the tips of the spare ribs cut off which have a lot of cartilage which make then a mess to eat.

Grand-High Poster
    thanks for the pork shoulder tip, zox. And I'm aware of the St. Louis cut, but I really don't mind the cartilage. If it's the same price, definitely, but it's not really a priority.

Grand-High Poster
    just bought a couple racks of baby backs for saturday with actusual. We are also trying this idea... smoked burgers made with beef and sausage meat. Or maybe a smoked meatloaf instead.

we should also be doing a smoked pork loin.

we made a sauce with apple sauce, juice, and tomato paste w/ apple cider vinegar as its chief ingredients. turned out much better than the last batch, and we recorded the recipe. Needs a tiny bit of tweaking, but not much. shit would sell on the shelves, I tell you. We're working on developing a few different sauces, one for pork, chicken, and for beef. Then we will branch out from there into wackier stuff. Whiskey/coke sauce is something we are looking into. yee-haw

Pictures dont do this pile justice. Alot of it is stacked up...6 people ate (and I mean...ate) and we still have a bucket full.

Everything was in for 5 hours...The pork tenderloins were in for about an hour and a half, then I wrapped them in foil, added a little liquid, then put them back in.
    i like boobs.

Bad-ass Member
    How does it compare to gas smokers and it almost seems impossible to clean. It seems like wiping it down like you said won't get those huge chunk of grease off the walls after it is cooled.