User Tag List

Thread: FNH USA Five-seveN

FNH USA Five-seveN

How does the Five-seveN compare to comparable guns in the ~$1,000 range? Reliability wise. I think I'd like to get one for self defense.

I was also wondering if people CC them, or if they're too big.

i honestly wouldnt get one for self defense.

-it's a little bulky for comfortable CC
    -the original purpose of the round is to defeat soft armor, the rounds available to civilians penetrate gel 8-10 in with a narrow cavity. it will definitely stop someone, but depending on where you hit them they may be able to keep going.
    -ammo isnt the cheapest option, and not the easiest to find
    -for civilian application what you're basically getting is a .22 caliber round on steroids, like i said before the whole purpose of that weapon in the first place was to have a sidearm capable of defeating soft armor

on the plus side you have
    -high capacity
    -fun to shoot
    -low recoil

all in all, my opinion is if you're gonna drop that much cash on a weapon for self defense, start looking into calibers such as 9mm, .40, and .45

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    Member of the Three Horns never play with Long Necks crew
    Entensity 'Roo Krew
    monkey sex pest (10:45:23 AM): ill fuck you til you love me faggot

Entense Supporter
    Wheat pretty much got it all.

Low caliber, high speed round meant to armor penetration but has greater potential for harm to one's property or an innocent bystander.

If you want to drop a grand for a pistol, look at larger rounds like Wheat suggested (I love SIGs personally).

Elite Whore
    I'll back up wheat and mech's opinion. 5.7 is a very quick but small diameter round and the pistol itself is designed for ammunition that is illegal for civvy market. Also the pistol is full size is exceptionally fat. Its mag well is designed for double stack mags that hold twenty rounds, that kind of bulk makes concealed carry a bit of a magic show.

If you're interested in ~$1000 carry guns, consider Sig (as already suggested), HK (their carry guns are always a little fat, though), or khar arms (single stack, but some of the slimmest pistols on the market). Plenty of good cc options even under the $600 range too, though.

So I looked up some Sigg pistols and I'm liking the price of the P220 SAO (.45ACP), because its still right around $1,000.

However, I see the slightly more expensive (+$200-300) P220 Elite Dark has a Short Reset Trigger: "SIG engineers designed the SRT to provide you the same great safety and smooth action of the SIG DA/SA with a comfortable reset that is 60% shorter for faster trigger return and surgical control during high speed shooting. The P220 Elite Dark is available in .45ACP." Is that something that makes a noticeable different? I've only shot a handful of firearms and am a novice at this stuff.

I'm not so much concerned about the CC for my first pistol. I think I'll get adjusted to one solid one first, then make my CC selection.
    Last edited by Crustin; 2/03/2010 at 6:26 pm. Reason: added links

Quote Originally Posted by Crustin View Post
    So I looked up some Sigg pistols and I'm liking the price of the P220 SAO (.45ACP), because its still right around $1,000.

However, I see the slightly more expensive (+$200-300) P220 Elite Dark has a Short Reset Trigger: "SIG engineers designed the SRT to provide you the same great safety and smooth action of the SIG DA/SA with a comfortable reset that is 60% shorter for faster trigger return and surgical control during high speed shooting. The P220 Elite Dark is available in .45ACP." Is that something that makes a noticeable different? I've only shot a handful of firearms and am a novice at this stuff.
    man honestly i'd look at getting a 500-600 dollar range gun for your first, and for cc.

why do you want to spend so much when there are amazing options in that price range

-springfield xd
    -glock
    -s&w m&p

all great firearms, then you'll have plenty of budget left over for holster, ammo, etc.

edit: i own an XD45 Compact, and it's easily one of the most user friendly and reliable handguns i've had

Entensity 'Roo Krew

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat View Post
    why do you want to spend so much when there are amazing options in that price range
    I just figured the quality would be that much more reliable, but if you say that kind of standard exists at a much lower price range, I'll take your word for it.

I'm leaning towards the SA-XD Compact or Sub-Compact now... According to SA, the Sub Compact is the "shortest polymer carry pistol in the world that features the only light rail in its class," is this true about the light rail? I definitely think that'd be a plus in home break ins... I don't live in the nicest part of town and my neighbors tell me break-ins to steal shit are part of gang initiations around here...

I just figured the quality would be that much more reliable, but if you say that kind of standard exists at a much lower price range, I'll take your word for it.

I'm leaning towards the SA-XD Compact or Sub-Compact now... According to SA, the Sub Compact is the "shortest polymer carry pistol in the world that features the only light rail in its class," is this true about the light rail? I definitely think that'd be a plus in home break ins... I don't live in the nicest part of town and my neighbors tell me break-ins to steal shit are part of gang initiations around here...
    i'm not sure about the rail claim, the rail is nice though, i have a tlr-2 that fits perfectly on the compact frame.

the compact is even great for CC, my friend has the XD9 in sub and it's tiny and amazing for CC purposes.

the XD has great quality, but no external safety if that bothers you...it does have a trigger safety and saddle safety.

it also has indicators for a round being chambered and the weapon being charged.

go to a range that allows rentals and try one out if they have it, get a good feel for it and decide if it's what you want. it's a great weapon.

Entensity 'Roo Krew

Elite Whore
    concealed carrying a 220 in any iteration would be a pain in the ass for me and most people that I know, honestly. glock/xd/s&w m&p pretty much have the gambit of cc pistols at, tops, around ~$600 for any of their models with the works.

Also, whenever possible - try before you buy. I almost traded in my old glock 27 subcompact for a walther PPS (another pistol to consider!) as an upgrade for concealed carry, but that gun just didn't feel right to me when taking recoil. Something about how thin it was and how I'm used to holding it didn't work out well for me, and I wouldn't have known any better until firing it. If you can't shoot the gun yourself, ask to hold one and fiddle with it in a gun store. To keep yourself from seeming like a freeloader, ask the guys in the store about their opinion of the gun, but take it with a grain of salt. Also, look at youtube reviews for the pistol in question, or even just videos of it in action and/or being disassembled step by step.

Edit: Oh, something to note about the M&P pistol lines - all of their models come with interchangeable backstraps to adjust for different fitting hand sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by wildy View Post
    cI almost traded in my old glock 27 subcompact for a walther PPS (another pistol to consider!) as an upgrade for concealed carry, but that gun just didn't feel right to me when taking recoil. Something about how thin it was and how I'm used to holding it didn't work out well for me, and I wouldn't have known any better until firing it. I
    I felt the same way when firing my buddy's Walther P22 3.4" (It also kept jamming, but I think that's mainly because he got the cheapest Walmart ammo he could find). Did the recoil feel almost like a bb gun to you? Or was it just off by personal standards? Otherwise, I felt that pistol had a great feel and size.

Elite Whore
    I felt the same way when firing my buddy's Walther P22 3.4" (It also kept jamming, but I think that's mainly because he got the cheapest Walmart ammo he could find). Did the recoil feel almost like a bb gun to you? Or was it just off by personal standards? Otherwise, I felt that pistol had a great feel and size.
    P22's are fun guns, but they have the same issues as most reasonably priced .22 pistols - they will jam, and you should expect it to happen at some point in the range visit. If you go above the ~$400 price line or so, you'll get significantly fewer jams, but it'll still happen. My CZ-75 Kadet gets a jam once or twice out of every 300 rounds or so, but half of that is ammo and the other half of that is I teach new shooters how to clean guns by having them clean that pistol... and I'm too lazy to really stress out over the areas that they didn't clean as well as I would otherwise.

But the PPS I'm talking about is the one here - http://www.walther-pps.com

Its got a really thin width to it - .91 of an inch - that rivals khar arms in slimline and outright beats glock width of 1.18 of an inch. A thin gun means easier and better concealment, and with the other dimensions of the PPS, makes it reasonable for even pocket carry. Add to that the availability in 9mm or .40SW and you've got what seems to be an amazing pistol. The problems that I ran into with the gun is that the magazine release - paddle depression style flush with the trigger guard - was awkward for me to hit from the grip stance that I've formed over the years. The other issue that ended up being a deal breaker for me was how the recoil was for the 9mm model. 9mm tends to be snappy rather than pushy - as in, the barrel rises up with more force than a pushing back. The snappy recoil was extra difficult with how I'd grip the pistol due to how slim it was - I was simply used to shooting pistols that are significantly thicker. The thinness of the gun would actually shift the handle inside my grip and make me have to realign my grip on the gun even before I was through a single magazine. Don't get me wrong, its not a bad gun at all. I just can't grip it without having to do some serious re-acclimatizing. If it were my first CCW gun, I would probably be carrying it right now.

I really like the way it looks though... even has a cocking indicator and a loaded chamber indicator... plus it has a light rail mount and seems like it can have interchangeable backstraps for better fitting. Damn, now I want one all over again.

Like I said, I'm not too much of an expert on firearms, but I see Wheat is in Conway--South Carolina I presume--and you, wildy, are from ATL... Conway is between ATL and Wilmington, maybe we could get an ef gun day event goin on or some shit...

Elite Whore
    I think conway is about a 6 hour drive from where I am, but I'd be up for it if it were a bit more inland in SC and we planned it pretty far in advance.

conway, arkansas actually

sorry to disappoint

Entensity 'Roo Krew

I'd hate to disagree with everyone on here, but at no fault of their own, they are probably just misinformed, which I believe is conveyed purposely. The 5-7 is a rifle converted into a handgun. You're getting every pennys worth for $1k+. There's plenty of AP rds and all sorts to choose from. hard to find yes, but not if you know what you're doing and where to look Expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for. They even have incendiary rounds for this. As for CC, absolutely. I know of a holster that you'd never know the difference wearing a t-shirt. they also have two other forms of concealment, which are not detectable either, and theyre all comfortable. this is a nice piece to add to the collection and for SD.