User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1998 Honda Civic EX

Quote Originally Posted by Impact View Post
    just lol at this sentence.
    Last edited by Khnemu; 1/11/2010 at 1:17 am.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Khnemu View Post
    So my brother got hooked on wanting to go fast after driving a Porche Boxster, he's 18 years old. I told him I would turbo his car since I was doing a lot of research on it anyways. His car is a 1998 Honda Civic EX coupe.
    How fast did he go in the Porsche?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy
    Finished the round of life for the day

We're deciding on what size slicks to run, we have extra 14 inch steelies laying around.
    Waaait wait wait.

Slicks, w/ 150hp, and your not installing a suspension.

...Im confused.

Civics, like miata's would really enjoy some light weight wheels. I use these as my track wheels: Konig Heliums 11.4# @ 89$ a piece.
    i like boobs.

You don't need slicks for the power your talking about. I'd get suspension before you do any motor work. You can have suspension and still be a sleeper, just don't slam it. He drives a Honda, he will always get attention from cops.

The Fucking King! PrincessArnage's Avatar
    You could look into a PhantomGrip, they are alot cheaper than a full diff, but work just as good.
    he would kiss me and touch me and make me play with him he told me what we were doing wasnt wrong because he was my dad

all i know, is that none of you can use "you're" correctly.

Keep us posted, I'm interested since I drive the same car. Maybe a youtube video once the turbo is in

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
    How fast did he go in the Porsche?
    I didn't ride with him but he took it somewhere remote to push it hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachood View Post
    Waaait wait wait.

Slicks, w/ 150hp, and your not installing a suspension.

...Im confused.

Civics, like miata's would really enjoy some light weight wheels. I use these as my track wheels: Konig Heliums 11.4# @ 89$ a piece.
    I was just asking the question for knowledge later on, getting information from this thread. Won't have slicks for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by iNternal View Post
    You don't need slicks for the power your talking about. I'd get suspension before you do any motor work. You can have suspension and still be a sleeper, just don't slam it. He drives a Honda, he will always get attention from cops.
    It's going to be turbo'd and then the suspension worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by eedna
    anyway point is im not gay and i watched a 9 year old jack off for like 2 years

get over it

Quote Originally Posted by rictd View Post
    Keep us posted, I'm interested since I drive the same car. Maybe a youtube video once the turbo is in
    Definitely, I'm going to take a lot of pictures as it goes on. Video of the first start up and after the tune.

get over it

Entense Supporter
    I didn't ride with him but he took it somewhere remote to push it hard.

I was just asking the question for knowledge later on, getting information from this thread. Won't have slicks for quite some time.

It's going to be turbo'd and then the suspension worked out.
    I'm curious how fast he pushed it to, because there's a world of difference between 120 and 190. Was he on a track or just some back country road?

I'm curious how fast he pushed it to, because there's a world of difference between 120 and 190. Was he on a track or just some back country road?
    Back country road, I think it's rated at 217? 2001 Boxster not the S. The road has no stop signs and hardly anyone on it, it's about 4-5 miles long.

get over it

No offense but what a waste of fucking money.. I hope none of this is coming out of your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Solanka View Post
    No offense but what a waste of fucking money.. I hope none of this is coming out of your pocket.
    Waste of money on what? Turboing the car? Why? It's going to be fast, the car weighs ~2400 pounds. It's not like he can go out and buy an M3, it's cheap speed to daily drive until he can afford something better.

get over it

Entense Supporter
    Waste of money on what? Turboing the car? Why? It's going to be fast, the car weighs ~2400 pounds. It's not like he can go out and buy an M3, it's cheap speed to daily drive until he can afford something better.
    I have to sort of agree. I've had a half dozen Turbo's in bikes, the most recent was my 3rd CX650 Turbo. They're fun for straight away punching, but when you try to race them they get pounded typically by a non-turbo bike.

The turbo fascination is apparently mostly American. A buddy of mine, he's from England, and has raced motorcycles for decades told me he can't stand a Turbo, and has pointed out that if I have a Turbo bike, and he has a non-turbo bike, there isn't a track in the world pretty much that I'd beat him (not that I have his skill level anyway but that's not the point).

It's also my experience that Turbo's are a constant headache. Maybe it's changed with the newer designs, but I can remember building a Turbo CBX with my dad years ago and we always had problems with the performance of the Turbo. This was before the Internet was around, and at that time I only knew of a handful of CBX's that had been modified with a Turbo kit so shared knowledge was null, everyone doing it back then was basically learning as they went. I know the CX650 Turbo's have a known problem at like 5000 miles where the engine needs massive work at that point, which is probably a contributing reason why Honda only made the bike one year.

I've never owned a Turbo car, I mean I've driven in them, and drove them, but maybe it's not the same thing.

I have to sort of agree. I've had a half dozen Turbo's in bikes, the most recent was my 3rd CX650 Turbo. They're fun for straight away punching, but when you try to race them they get pounded typically by a non-turbo bike.

The turbo fascination is apparently mostly American. A buddy of mine, he's from England, and has raced motorcycles for decades told me he can't stand a Turbo, and has pointed out that if I have a Turbo bike, and he has a non-turbo bike, there isn't a track in the world pretty much that I'd beat him (not that I have his skill level anyway but that's not the point).

It's also my experience that Turbo's are a constant headache. Maybe it's changed with the newer designs, but I can remember building a Turbo CBX with my dad years ago and we always had problems with the performance of the Turbo. This was before the Internet was around, and at that time I only knew of a handful of CBX's that had been modified with a Turbo kit so shared knowledge was null, everyone doing it back then was basically learning as they went. I know the CX650 Turbo's have a known problem at like 5000 miles where the engine needs massive work at that point, which is probably a contributing reason why Honda only made the bike one year.

I've never owned a Turbo car, I mean I've driven in them, and drove them, but maybe it's not the same thing.
    I won't disagree or agree with you because I'm not that knowledgeable on turbos. I know the basics and enough to know how to put it on the car. Turbo cars can be as reliable as N/A cars if you do it right. For Honda's it's all about the tune that you get. If the tuner is good you will have no problems if you take care of the car. Regular oil changes are mandatory, most tuners will tell you a 2,000 mile interval if you're easy on it. If you beat on it everyday then a 1,000 mile interval, but I need to look into that.

Maybe we don't see eye to eye on this subject but there are tons of people that daily drive 200+ WHP Civics that have no problems with reliability. It's all about having fun with the car when we take it to a track.

get over it

Entense Supporter
    I won't disagree or agree with you because I'm not that knowledgeable on turbos. I know the basics and enough to know how to put it on the car. Turbo cars can be as reliable as N/A cars if you do it right. For Honda's it's all about the tune that you get. If the tuner is good you will have no problems if you take care of the car. Regular oil changes are mandatory, most tuners will tell you a 2,000 mile interval if you're easy on it. If you beat on it everyday then a 1,000 mile interval, but I need to look into that.

Maybe we don't see eye to eye on this subject but there are tons of people that daily drive 200+ WHP Civics that have no problems with reliability. It's all about having fun with the car when we take it to a track.
    I understand completely. For someone who hasn't had a Turbo or a Nitrous setup on a vehicle, the acquisition of said device and deployment can be very exhilerating. And the truth is I haven't messed with a Turbo motorcycle in almost 4 years, the death of my father last year has been a major factor in that as well.

You also have a distinct advantage in that it's in a car, where it probably has less of a negating factor for performance than that of a motorcycle. Cornering in a car to me is alien compared to counter-steering a motorcycle and laying it down into a corner. 15 years of experience on Turbos for me, my first time driving one was when I was 15 actually, my dad and I drove up to Chicago to buy a Honda CX650 Turbo for a steal of a price, and I rode that thing a lot.

IT was a fun bike to ride, but it was also scary dangerous, being a Turbo motorcycle it had a real tendency to exhibit a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde personality. It probably didn't help that at 19 I laid it down in a sweeper at about 115MPH. I came through fine, despite tearing out some corn stalks but suffice to say it made me respect the mind of a Turbo bike even more.

If you've never done it, never driven it, or never owned it, it's certainly worth doing at least once. I've had 6 Turbo class motorcycles over my life, and each of them was a real joy to ride.

I'd like to ride a bike but I'm too much of a bitch to try it. I'll make a build thread later on this year when I actually start to turbo the car.

get over it

I'm not saying it wont be fast. I'm not saying it wont be fun. But I guarantee that you WILL have problems. Lots of them. 4 cylinder Civics are not designed to have turbos and it definitely shows in the build quality. If hes going to spend that kind of money on a turbo for a Civic I'd rather save up and at least get a decent "performance" vehicle. Think about it, you can get an srt-4 or WRX for probably under 10k now. Not saying an srt-4 is amazing or anything but these cars come with turbos and will last longer than a Civic turbo and be just as fun. Besides, its a Civic..

Also, when he has all these problems who is going to fix them? You?

Entense Supporter
    Yeah the suspension won't be touched, for now, he wants it to be a sleeper and to stay away from the JDM scene. Where we live it's slammed civics on played out wheels, lips and My VTEC goes BWAH stickers.

His goals for the car are around 150 WHP / WTQ. These engines are capable of 250 WHP stock so it's a decent number to aim for. We have a clutch kit rated at 179 ft-lbs at the wheels so we're covered there.

A LSD will solve the torque steer problems IF we encounter it. Won't need it until we build the engine, that's a while from now.
    K so first off.. where are you getting your info? Since when is a stock d16 making 250whp stock? And I hope he realizes that it's a HONDA, so his goal of 150whp/tq is more like 150whp/115tq hopefully.

To be honest dude it really sounds like you're pulling all of these numbers out of your ass and you're just looking up parts and throwing them all together with no experience in building a turbo Honda.

Also, you're talking about all of this, yet you don't want suspension? Suspension is the first thing I buy every time I get a new car, and that's the way it should be. Do you realize the dramatic changes that will occur in a car with a lower center of gravity? Not only that, but especially since you're turboing, it will help his dumbass keep the tires on the road, as well as from spinning/wheel hop.

You're, for whatever reason, trying to build this cheap (and as they say... cheap/fast/reliable.. you can only have two) so, you need to buy some Ground Control coilovers and some Koni springs. It's cheap and it works well. Not what I have, but it's definitely perfect for starters.

We're deciding on what tires to run. Falcon Azenis? :O
    Falken Azenis are good track tires. Once they heat up, they're very sticky. I used them on my turbo Si.

I'm not saying it wont be fast. I'm not saying it wont be fun. But I guarantee that you WILL have problems. Lots of them. 4 cylinder Civics are not designed to have turbos and it definitely shows in the build quality. If hes going to spend that kind of money on a turbo for a Civic I'd rather save up and at least get a decent "performance" vehicle. Think about it, you can get an srt-4 or WRX for probably under 10k now. Not saying an srt-4 is amazing or anything but these cars come with turbos and will last longer than a Civic turbo and be just as fun. Besides, its a Civic..

Also, when he has all these problems who is going to fix them? You?
    No offense, but you drive a VW.. you should have no room to talk when it comes to car problems.

I mean seriously, there are TONS of Civics that are turbo'd, done correctly, and last well past 175k miles. You just have to do it right.

What I WILL agree with you on though, is that the build that this guy is doing does not sound like it will last.

Khnemu, you have got to understand this NOW, a turbo'd Honda comes with a lot of responsibility. If you're not gonna be hanging from your brothers taint hairs every time he drives the car, he's gotta know how to fix it when shit fucks up or else he's stranded on the side of the highway.

Also, I would not recommend putting a .60 trim on a d16, it will spool way too slow and he'll be hitting boost at around 5.6-6k rpm's, only having about 1k of boost. A .50 trim will work much better.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm just trying to save another Honda from the junkyard.

So if you have anymore questions, just ask.
    Last edited by CokeCanCock; 1/14/2010 at 11:21 am.
    smoke rocks

Entense Supporter
    Oh and about your list:

- Boo log manifold. They're ugly, and you can make more power with a topmount... plus it looks a billion times better.

- RCA550cc injectors will be fine, 880 is overkill.

- I had defi gauges and they were great, but autometers work perfectly.
    smoke rocks