User Tag List

Thread: photography information and reference

photography information and reference

I figured we needed some sort of go-to thread for photography info and help. This can be that thread. This thread will be a collection of useful links and explanations about photography. This isn't exhaustive, so if you have other useful links, please post them!

MUST READ!
    Canon EOS Beginners' FAQ - Some of this info is geared towards Canon users, but most of the information here is general to any camera brand. Questions range from "What does SLR mean?" to "What is a lens aperture or f-stop?" to "What is bokeh?" This is a great resource and is a must-read for anyone getting into photography.
    Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras - Again, some of this is geared towards Canon users, but most of the info is generic to all brands. Lighting is at the heart of all photography, so understanding this is pretty important once you get into advanced lighting. This isn't for beginners. Become familiar with non-flash photography before you dive into this stuff.

Places to Post Images
    Flickr - Owned by Yahoo!, this is probably the most common place to store your images. They have free accounts that place limits on the number of files you can upload per month and the size of those files. You can buy a pro account to remove these restrictions.
    SmugMug - This is a pay service (no free accounts) that offers very nice and customizable pages to suit your photography style or business. It's more customizable than Flickr.
    Zenfolio - Another popular pay site that's somewhat similar to SmugMug in its features.

Useful Review Sites
    Digital Photography Review
    The Digital Picture
    Photozone

Photography Gear News
    Canon Rumors
    Nikon Rumors

Useful Forums
    POTN - Canon Digital Photography Forums
    Fred Miranda

Buying Used Gear
    Look at the POTN and Fred Miranda forums for gear deals. A lot of good quality used gear can be found in their buying/selling forums.
    KEH

Renting Gear
    Lens Rentals
    Borrow Lenses
    Pro Photo Rental

Other Useful Links
    The Luminous Landscape - A hodgepodge of random photography information and essays.
    Digital Photography Tutorials - Lots of tutorials from understanding how digital sensors work to understanding the levels and curves tools in Photoshop.
    Ken Rockwell's Site - He's probably the most hated photographer on the internet due to his egotism and propensity to think he's right when he's often wrong. However, some of his articles and reviews on gear are worth reading. Take everything he says with a grain of salt, as he's very opinionated, and his biases definitely seem to affect his judgment. His target audience is Nikon users, so you'll probably find more use for his site if you use Nikon gear.
    DIYPhotography.net - Learn how to make and do all sorts of different things to enhance your photos.
    Last edited by Dr. Fangs404; 11/09/2010 at 8:24 pm.

I have lots of Seniority kndguy's Avatar
    ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ l̴͍͍͙̺̞ͫ̍̔̍ͩͮͯ̽̿ͩ͒̇̒̓̓̍ŏ̾ͮ͊͛ͫͪ̓̈́̇͏̛̀&#
    Useful Site in general for everything photography:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

Some quick photography infos:
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

And I know people will hate me but. . .
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/

He has some interesting information. . . His website was a place to start for me. Please be aware that his content is heavily nikon focused.
    Last edited by kndguy; 2/25/2010 at 6:07 pm.
    1RM Calc. Never ever have doubt.

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

thanks for the info. will come in really handy when i get my first slr!

Updated the OP with some more links.

Thank you for the info and links!! I have been doing alot of reading. thanks again!

Came upon a cool new site. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

When considering buying new memory, and you are not sure what to go for. . . this dude tested a lot of cards and tells you which ones are the fastest.

A lot of Canon cameras used. . . and numerous Nikons; 1 sony. Thats about it.

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Quote Originally Posted by kndguy View Post
    Came upon a cool new site. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

When considering buying new memory, and you are not sure what to go for. . . this dude tested a lot of cards and tells you which ones are the fastest.

A lot of Canon cameras used. . . and numerous Nikons; 1 sony. Thats about it.
    Nice site but the info is a little old at best. The pages were last updated in 2008 and seem to max out at 8GB in space.

Quote Originally Posted by BAM720 View Post
    Nice site but the info is a little old at best. The pages were last updated in 2008 and seem to max out at 8GB in space.
    No. . . for example look under nikon d700. . . 32gbs there. . .

Canon 50d . . . 16 gbs . . .

I think they cover a lot of new cards as far as I could see. Majority of those cards are still widely available for purchase. Albeit they do not cover every card out there, it gives you a pretty good eyeball even by today's standards as far as I can tell.

EDIT:

Saturday, June 19, 2010 | by Rob Galbraith

The CF/SD Performance Database is a regularly-updated compilation of write and read speed test results designed to aid the serious and professional photographer in selecting camera storage media for a Canon or Nikon digital SLR.

Just wanted to give a +1 to Fred Miranda and their forums. Got my new Nikon D300s from there.

http://www.diyphotography.net has helped me a bunch when it comes to building low budget lighting and other accessories.
    http://chat.efnet.org | /join #entensity | #entensity on irc.EFnet.net

Entense Supporter
    thanks-- this was exactly what i needed. im probably going to move away from the US in a few months, and i want to document my experience.

:: lounge | deep house | trance | psytrance addict

Thanks, will use this in future for sure