User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New commercial

New commercial

hey guys, just finished my newest project, a 30 second spot for a local credit union in town. They liked my pitch and liked how different it would be than any of their other crappy commercials so they said go for it. local commercials do not have to suck

SECOND ONE!

whacha think?
    Last edited by qben9354; 4/27/2010 at 1:43 pm.
    Originally posted by Nok
    guys give him a break he goes to art school

very professional. did you do it all yourself? including the audio and voiceover?

Holy shit, that's really good. I figured it was going to be some terrible local commercial but you proved me super wrong.

Like dang said, extremely professional.

thanks guys, yeah i did everything except write/make the music bed. i got the voiceover from voices.com. put out a casting call for a more youthful jeff bridges and got like, hundreds of voices. took forever

i didn't write the dialogue either, the bank did, i just massaged it a bit to work a bit better. think it came out pretty awesome. there were some things the bank pushed to see/get in there that changed it a bit, but overall im pretty happy with it. theres 2 more, a series, coming soon but prob not for another month or so
    Originally posted by Nok

Entense Supporter
    wow dude, that's really good.
    smoke rocks

Grand-High Poster
    That vid blew me away, super beast.

Pimpin Member
    great job!

Someone posts A LOT
    Freaking Impressive, amazing work dude

What's up doc??
    Entense Supporter
    How long does it take to make a 30 sec. fully animated commercial like that?

that took me about a month all told, while working on other things the whole time, but yeah i pitched it on the 6th, did 6 seconds of a proof of concept in one night to prove i could pull it off by myself, that was the 7th or 8th, spent about a week with script changes, revisions, and storyboards. alooot of back and forth emails and phone calls, stuff like

"ooo we dont like how the script says the briefcase spins out of the ground, eating the farm. thats sounds like big business taking out the little guy."

"err..no, thats..no its just like, a transition to get the briefcase to be the focal point immediately after the farm. not..not eating it, eating it...it just kinda takes over the shot"

"oh ok"

then i did a rough pass without color which was like 80% of the work, which took about 2 weeks to lock down all the animation and individual scenes. then sent that out to them for approval, which took a few days. everyone gets attached to the all white version, myself included, so its important to stress how awesome its gonna look when everything's colored and finalized during this stage.

of course, they want to nix the briefcase consuming the farm, so i have to go back and change that, which makes me need to change the camera move as well, so that added some time. as well as adding those damn photos of people. they just wanted to keep shoving them in wherever possible

then made another version, with the new animation and now color, which took a couple days to render out. the client then decided they wanted to move away from the colors in their god damn branding book they gave me, so i had to re color everything in a new style/palette which added a couple days to find the right balance in such a drastic change, then sent a version to the music guy who did a pass, sent it back for me to review, where i made some changes and told him what i did/didnt like, then a few days later i had the final sound, mixed it in, then ive spent the last 3 days creating the different outputs for different stations. We could only get it to play in hd at one station, no other local place was set up for that. but its the first local hd spot to be aired in vermont, so, i win?

all told, just under a month

edit:

hah heres a screen of the barn thing, it was all super rotatey and everything was super smooth and looked alot cooler.
    Last edited by qben9354; 3/11/2010 at 2:24 pm.
    Originally posted by Nok

excellent work

Excellent!!!

Entense Supporter
    That was dope. Good work!!

Entensity Vet
    Entense Supporter
    Might i ask what you used to make the commercial? It looks awesome

great work. i need to try 3dsmax.. i think that's what you said in my render thread. what kind of files can you import and modify? I think it might be fun to import some of my models, and make them more cartoon like in 3dsmax. and the animation seems 10x smoother than anything i've been able to do in sw. keep it up.

mad props!! like beta said, it blew me away.

thanks errrbody. ive literally done nothing over the past day and a half since i finished it haha. was completely zonked out, now i just feel lazy

also -nick, the cartoon thing is allll in the materials. if you can create the materials ive seen you work with, you can create the same aesthetic i created on this one. just no spec, flat, soft color with ambient oc jacked
    Originally posted by Nok

Wow that looks great. Its like the style that the credit default swap video was in. Very cool and its amazing for a local commercial. What does something like this cost? (Ball park figure)

depending on locale, it could vary. im in vermont and the standards are so low here so you cant charge that much, but im changing that haha. also because im young, i cant really get away with charging what its actually worth, atleast in my opinion. this was about 11k with a small production budget included
    Originally posted by Nok