User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1969 Ford Mustang BOSS 302

Oh shit, son! Nice find! I haven't been able to work on my project car at all lately... makes me want to sell it and buy something that runs.

That is always the story though, the car ends up being not exactly as advertised. All you can do is make it as good as you can! Looks like you have a good platform.

Bad-ass Member
    car is gorgeous, good luck with the bill.

Not a New Bitch
    Beautiful car, what are your plans for the engine?

I have lots of Seniority Jenova's Avatar
    Couple new pics:

took off the front license plate because it didn't match the back one (wtf? seriously idk what the last owner was doing but it's bad)

and new air filter, and you can see my ghetto ductape job on the overflow coolant reservoir

Very nice find man. Good luck on fixing it up

Entense Supporter
    Sorry to be rude, but how much did ya pay for it?

A little under 8 grand...

New Bitch
    [QUOTE=Jenova;6919257
    Now onto the stuff that's wrong with it. Immediately I noticed that the engine makes a ticking noise when it's running, which I can only assume is a collapsed lifter somewhere in there. Gonna have to take her into the shop for that one, since I don't know nearly enough about engines and also have no way to pull it out.
    [/QUOTE]

If it's really a Boss it will have solid, adjustable lifters, not hydraulic lifters.

.....MN.....ŏ̾ͮ͊͛ͫͪ̓̈́̇͏̛̻̦̙̝̩̀ͅ ŏ̾ͮ͊͛ͫͪ̓̈́̇͏̛̻̦̙̝̩̀
    i will always love mustangs, nice car dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    yes. it's always when i'm really drunk and i always wake up wondering how i went from nate the 6 year old who covered his glass when someone farted so no fart germs got into his milk to nate the alcoholic butt licker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    he's fucking with the wrong bull. ever since i found out he was coming over here i've just been sitting and getting madder and drunker

Page 420 - Fuck Im Blazed Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    If it's really a Boss it will have solid, adjustable lifters, not hydraulic lifters.

Its not a real Boss (engine or car)... it looks like a 302 Windsor underhood with some bolt ons. 6 valve cover bolts give it away and Cleveland style heads (like what a Boss would have) are lots wider.

Still a pretty clean car, but if the car or engine was sold to you as a real Boss 302 the seller was lying.

Yea, that dude was shady as fuck. I still got it for pretty cheap but I could've gotten it cheaper probably if I had known it wasn't a real Boss...

I should probably just put a 429 in it to compensate...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenova View Post
    Yea, that dude was shady as fuck. I still got it for pretty cheap but I could've gotten it cheaper probably if I had known it wasn't a real Boss...

I should probably just put a 429 in it to compensate...
    FE's are lighter and will bolt in with factory parts.

a 347 will be cheaper though and still make some pretty sick power.

Well, I took her to the shop this morning, and I just found out on top of the lifter problem my engine has, there's some bad gaskets in there and the crankshaft bearings are fucked. I basically need a new engine. i'm pissed for 2 reasons; I'm finding out more and more how much the seller fucking lied to me, and it's going to cost a LOT to fix all this shit...

I'm pretty much going to have to drop a new engine in there... They offered me a new 302 with roller cams for $3000... I asked if they could get a 351W in there, since that's bigger and more powerful (might as well upgrade, right?) but the guy seemed to think that it would require a lot of work to put in there... I was under the impression that it would bolt right in there with little-to-no modification (especially considering it used to have a 351 originally apparently). I don't know if the guy at the shop just has no idea or if he's just trying to offload this 302 and not bother with me...

Grr...

Either way I'm looking at like $5 grand to fix all this shit

As much as it sucks, with a car this age you need to go into it expecting the worst.

The good thing is that now you will know what you have. Throw in a crate motor, go through the electrical while its out, and even though it will cost more then you want, in the end you should have something you can take cross country w/o worry. Going to a more reliable EFI setup crate motor would be on my list if I were in your shoes.

I havent really kept up on this thread much, so I dont totally know what you want to do with it. But, being able to go on club cruises, take it across the country, or even daily driving it is often more pleasureable then pounding down a quarter mile once every few months. Big power isnt all its cracked up to be.

... .02
    i like boobs.

Go with sixtninecoug's advice. Pick up a decent FE motor for $1000 and call it a day. You can find one of the higher compression 390s pretty cheap, toss in a nice cam upgrade, add some headers, and you are putting down around 300 to the wheels plus enough torque to pull a boat.

edit: and don't go crazy on the carb. The stock autolite 600cfm is plenty for a mild motor, and a 650cfm is more than enough.
    Last edited by DonQuixote; 4/15/2010 at 3:11 pm.

351W will bolt in but you will need some brackets for the front accessories possibly.

Check to see what trans you have. If its the 351W trans its gonna be an FMX.

Check to see if you still have the 9inch rear end under the car. That's better.

Other than the engine and associated parts (oil pan, front accessories) you shouldn't have to change much to get it in there. Trans is different between the engines originally, but a 351W and a 302 will bolt up to the same transmission so that's not a big deal. Radiator will be different. You have the 20 inch radiator in your car. That would be original to your car if you didn't have AC originally. If you did, you should have come with the 24 inch radiator. I would upgrade to that anyway at minimum and it will just bolt in as long as you get the brackets for it (both are reproduced.)

Don't underestimate a built up 302. Seeing as your car is an original 351W car, I'd just pop the cash together to find one of those and build it up. FE's are fun, but motor mounts, transmissions, and soo many other things are different its not even funny. The parts to do it are all available but you'll pay out the butt for some of the stupidest things.

Quote Originally Posted by pachood View Post
    As much as it sucks, with a car this age you need to go into it expecting the worst.

The good thing is that now you will know what you have. Throw in a crate motor, go through the electrical while its out, and even though it will cost more then you want, in the end you should have something you can take cross country w/o worry. Going to a more reliable EFI setup crate motor would be on my list if I were in your shoes.

I havent really kept up on this thread much, so I dont totally know what you want to do with it. But, being able to go on club cruises, take it across the country, or even daily driving it is often more pleasureable then pounding down a quarter mile once every few months. Big power isnt all its cracked up to be.

... .02
    Definitely feel you. I don't want it to just be a dragster. I want it to be an all-round fast beast monster. I'll be looking at suspension upgrades down the line to greatly increase the handling but right now I have to take it one thing at a time 'cause I'll be very low on cash after this whole engine debacle... and yes, reliability is very important. I don't want a super-high powered engine that's going to explode in a few thousand miles...

Quote Originally Posted by sixtninecoug View Post
    351W will bolt in but you will need some brackets for the front accessories possibly.

Check to see what trans you have. If its the 351W trans its gonna be an FMX.

Check to see if you still have the 9inch rear end under the car. That's better.

Other than the engine and associated parts (oil pan, front accessories) you shouldn't have to change much to get it in there. Trans is different between the engines originally, but a 351W and a 302 will bolt up to the same transmission so that's not a big deal. Radiator will be different. You have the 20 inch radiator in your car. That would be original to your car if you didn't have AC originally. If you did, you should have come with the 24 inch radiator. I would upgrade to that anyway at minimum and it will just bolt in as long as you get the brackets for it (both are reproduced.)

Don't underestimate a built up 302. Seeing as your car is an original 351W car, I'd just pop the cash together to find one of those and build it up. FE's are fun, but motor mounts, transmissions, and soo many other things are different its not even funny. The parts to do it are all available but you'll pay out the butt for some of the stupidest things.
    Ok, help me out. What am I looking for to tell if it has the 9" rear end?

Also, yea, the radiator is on the list. I was even thinking about moving the battery to the trunk (or passenger compartment) and dropping an even bigger truck radiator in there, but that was only if I was gonna get a big block, which now I highly doubt is a possibility considering I got this whole engine situation sprung on me a little bit (was NOT prepared to pony up this much cash so soon, but I guess it's necessary)

I'll probably just go with the 302, they have the stuff to build it real nice at the shop, and they quoted me $3000 incl. labor, new wiring, all that stuff, which I think is pretty fair...

The dude said I was looking at $500-1000 more for all the stuff to adapt a 351 in there, and I just can't do that right now.

So, what can I do to the 302 to make it real powerful?

---
    edit: Damn, I was at the shop again this morning and they had the engine disassembled to show me all the bad shit in there. I REALLY should've been taking pics but it was 8 am and I wasn't even thinking straight, I was trying to work out how I'm going to pay for all this lol

Oh well, you guys'll get pics of the new engine when she gets slammed in there

Easiest way to tell if its a 9 inch rear end is to get under the car and look at the differential. Look at the front of it where the driveshaft yoke attaches too. You should see a bunch of bolts around the border of the third member. Now, look at the bottom two. Can you get a socket on them or will you have to use a wrench?

On a 9 inch rear end, you need a wrench to get the bottom two bolts off. A socket wont fit because of the larger pinion yoke.

Part way down this page it shows what im talking about. externally they look very similar, but this is a pretty sure fire way to tell at a glance.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

As far as power out of a 302, the factory heads suck ass. aftermarket heads, a good cam and a nice intake really wake them up. I dont know what you want to spend but the sky is the limit really. You said he will put in a roller cam block. Those have the best potential for power. So thats a good start.

Spending is completely dependent on how much money I rake in over the next year or so, and how much I still have available after all my other expenses...

That site seems helpful but I'll get pics of the axle if I still can't identify it and maybe you can for me lol

I'm starting to be less angry about the engine though, and actually kind of excited that she'll be in pretty much daily-driver condition once I get the new block in there...

I was shooting for the drag race in June, but it looks like she'll be ready for a prelim run in May. I'll post my timecard

yeah get some pics. thats the easiest way. Like i said.. the car came with a 9 inch because it had a 351. Its not likely that they removed it when they slapped the 302 in there.