User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1969 Ford Mustang BOSS 302

I have lots of Seniority Jenova's Avatar
    So, 2 and a half weeks, and over 4 grand later, I have a brand spanking new 302 with a roller cam in there... they also rebuilt my power steering, water pump, dropped a new radiator in there, they basically re-did my whole engine bay...

So I drove it around Thursday and Friday, and it was relatively problem free (stalled out when it was a cold desert night and i didnt let the engine heat up enough before slamming it into gear... oops)

but as i'm parking it on my driveway Friday night, I go full-lock on the right and start backing into the driveway, and it makes a horrible grinding sound and literally dumps ALL my power steering fluid all the fuck over my driveway. FUCK!

My dad was pissed, but I'm more pissed because I have no idea how this happened. The guy at the shop said my front tires are too big for the car, but he didn't seem overly concerned about it, but that's the only thing I can think could've affected it because all that shit looks brand new under there now, it's just POURING out liquid...

I'm already way over budget for this car and it's starting to be a real headache

badass dude, unfortunate that all that money is being thrown at it

any chance they'll replace the power steering or will they just say sorry, it was this, this is the cost

in the end you'll end up with a car you're proud of, so it's worth the headache
    Quote Originally Posted by nerd View Post
    Is ahersa really banned? Why for?
    Quote Originally Posted by nerokal View Post
    Because he's the hero entensity deserves. But not the one it needs right now. And so we'll ban him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector.

A white knight
    http://dubbedstep.tumblr.com/

Entense Supporter
    I would have sprayed the engine bay while the engine was out, other than that it looks great.

sucks to hear about the PS pump puking fluid. Don't let it discourage you, you have an awesome ride and in the end you'll be a happy man .

this is seriously my dream classic car and i would kill you for it. but it's beautiful and i hope you get everything figured out soon without spending too much more money lol

badass dude.

i remember talking to you on aim about cars a long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaLater View Post
    badass dude, unfortunate that all that money is being thrown at it

any chance they'll replace the power steering or will they just say sorry, it was this, this is the cost

in the end you'll end up with a car you're proud of, so it's worth the headache
    I have to disagree.

Its unfortunate hes spending this much at a bad time, but its going to make him really happy in the end.

As I mentioned in my previous post, your going to spend 2-3 times more then you plan on, but in the end you will have something super reliable that will keep you really happy. Things going wrong constantly are hugely discouraging.. If I were doing it, I would go all modern. Do it right the first time.

Its an old car, always expect the worst, but hope for the best.

Glad to hear its back up and running, besides the PS issue. It could just be a bad rebuild, or something machined incorrectly, but really thats pretty minor.

Good luck with the car.
    i like boobs.

I definitely want to go modern for the BRAKES... I haaaate those drums lol. I'm gonna slap some good discs on there for sure.

I'm also now thinking about putting in a modern, more tight and responsive power steering system in there... I don't really like the 'loose' steering in old cars. It's not very confidence inspiring... not to mention it keeps pouring all over the place.

But thanks for all of the support guys

I definitely plan on keeping this thing around for a long time (it's SO close to daily driveable, yet so far still) unless I get in some dire straights and need to make money fast.

Where is it leaking from? Ford's power steering is retarded as all hell but it isn't too complicated once you know what does what. How big are your tires? I ran 245/45ZR17s on the front of my Cougar (HEAVIER car with the same PS setup as yours) without issue. They were Nitto 555s as well, so its not like they were suck ass all seasons. I doubt your tires being too big have anything to do with it..... The tires aren't anywhere near the moving parts of the system so even a bad offset wheel wouldn't contact anything. (they would hit the inner aprons before anything else)

You have a few components in the sytem. (sorry for breaking it down, once again, I dont know how familiar you are with these cars)

The PS pump. Located on the drivers side of the engine. Has two lines coming out of it. One is partially metal that screws into the pump. It is your high pressure line. The other one attaches with a hose clamp and connects to the bottom IIRC. It is your return line.

Those hoses go to the control Valve. There are also two more smaller hoses on that valve about 5 inches long each. The valve is located near the drivers side frame rail. Just follow the hoses. The valve basically pushes fluid under pressure one way or the other. It provides hydraulic pressure and pushes against.....

The Power steering ram. This has one hose going to it. This pushes or pulls on the steering center link and provides the actual assist.

The pump and control valve are common spots for leaks. Also CHECK YOUR HOSES! The two coming off of the pump need slack in them because they move when you turn, but too much slack means that they can rub on the body of the car, or even the ground. I used to break hoses on my Cougar every 6 months or so because the ones I got from Autozone were too long and they would scrape on speed bumps and driveways sometimes. Over time, they would wear down and I would have a massive puddle of PS fluid under my car. Shit sucks.

Also, are you running ATF or PS fluid in there? Type F ATF is the best choice for your car.

Diagram to point out what's what.

Thanks for breaking it down actually, I know VERY little about how that power steering works. I'm pretty new to this whole project car thing entirely.

Anyway, I figured like you said, maybe I hit the hose on something, and something was undone, which would've been a really easy fix...

So I jacked it up this weekend and took a look around, hoping to spot a leak. Initially it looked like the hose closest to the ground (low pressure hose i think?) was dripping, but it's the actual unit itself where the fluid goes in and the belt is hooked up to (no idea what it's called) that's pouring fluid...

The worst part is, it's completely fine (driveable and doesn't leak) unless I go full-lock to the right, then it starts shuddering and literally dumps all it's contents all over my driveway. I had fun reproducing that this weekend =\

I'm thinking I need to take it back to the shop ASAP, but it sucks 'cause I JUST got her back

Any ideas what could be broken if it freaks out only going right all the way?

Also, to keep this thread going:

Shitty cellphone pic of it jacked a little bit... I put it up just enough to squeeze under there and find out what the fuck was leaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenova View Post
    Thanks for breaking it down actually, I know VERY little about how that power steering works. I'm pretty new to this whole project car thing entirely.

Anyway, I figured like you said, maybe I hit the hose on something, and something was undone, which would've been a really easy fix...

So I jacked it up this weekend and took a look around, hoping to spot a leak. Initially it looked like the hose closest to the ground (low pressure hose i think?) was dripping, but it's the actual unit itself where the fluid goes in and the belt is hooked up to (no idea what it's called) that's pouring fluid...

The worst part is, it's completely fine (driveable and doesn't leak) unless I go full-lock to the right, then it starts shuddering and literally dumps all it's contents all over my driveway. I had fun reproducing that this weekend =\

I'm thinking I need to take it back to the shop ASAP, but it sucks 'cause I JUST got her back

Any ideas what could be broken if it freaks out only going right all the way?
    Yeah take it back. Where is the fluid coming out? The thing with the belt attached to it is your pump. Is it coming out of the top with the dipstick in it? It sounds like a control valve issue to me.

Does the steering wheel "jiggle" or otherwise kind of go back and forth when you are having the problem?

The pump itself also has a valve in it that will bypass pressure when you are at full lock. That could also be a problem if its sticking or something. The fact that you are only having it when you are at right full lock sounds more like a control valve though. If it was at right and left, then id suspect the pump.

Either way... take it back. That way it is done under warranty.I might have a spare pump sitting around here in the garage, but seeing as you probably still have a warranty, go that route first.
    Last edited by sixtninecoug; 5/19/2010 at 11:49 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtninecoug View Post
    Yeah take it back. Where is the fluid coming out? The thing with the belt attached to it is your pump. Is it coming out of the top with the dipstick in it? It sounds like a control valve issue to me.

Does the steering wheel "jiggle" or otherwise kind of go back and forth when you are having the problem?

The pump itself also has a valve in it that will bypass pressure when you are at full lock. That could also be a problem if its sticking or something. The fact that you are only having it when you are at right full lock sounds more like a control valve though. If it was at right and left, then id suspect the pump.

Either way... take it back. That way it is done under warranty.I might have a spare pump sitting around here in the garage, but seeing as you probably still have a warranty, go that route first.
    The fluid comes out of the bottom of the pump. The wheel doesn't jiggle but the the pump unit itself does

Anyway I should probably update this instead of posting in other threads about it:

I bought this today

Anyway, I need to buy these eventually (they're missing if you look at the pics), but why the fuck is a little piece of circular plastic EIGHTY BUCKS?!? no wonder they're missing. that's gonna have to wait till after i do suspension and brakes =\
    I'm waiting to have a little more money until I bring it back to the shop, because I have no idea if they're going to charge me yet.

Bad-ass Member
    Am I seeing this correctly? You placed the jack-stand at the very outer edge of the body? No no no no no no.

Always, ALWAYS put it on the frame rail. The pinch welds and lips where the panels were welded together will almost always bend when supporting the cars weight on a jack stand or jack. Yes, those points work but it's such a better idea to find a frame rail to put it on.

There's little notches under there that fit jackstands like every car ever. Is that really not where it's supposed to go?

There's little notches under there that fit jackstands like every car ever. Is that really not where it's supposed to go?
    I didnt even notice that. NO NO NO! dont put it there! that is your rocker panel. It will get damaged.

You have a frame rail about a foot inboard of that area. Put the stands under the rails. NOT on the torque box either, that will also get damaged (ask me how I know). Rail only be it the front or the back.

Last edited by sixtninecoug; 5/23/2010 at 12:56 am. Reason: added pic

The fluid comes out of the bottom of the pump. The wheel doesn't jiggle but the the pump unit itself does
    If the shop put on the new pump, then it would be a warranty claim. It sounds like your pump is taking a poo. If its new, they should cover their work.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtninecoug View Post
    NOT on the torque box either, that will also get damaged (ask me how I know).
    lmao...

what does the frame rail look like?

edit: cool, thanks for the pic. thank god i didn't break anything.
    Last edited by Jenova; 5/23/2010 at 12:57 am.

added a pic in the first post. its not the clearest shot, but youll see a rectangular box channel looking thing under your car. there are maybe 20 inches of useable area on either the front or rear rail. If you get subframe connectors, then you will have a rail that will run front to back plus it will add rigidity to the body.

Entense Supporter
    yeah +1 on power steering pump going bad (maybe the seal got fucked up somehow)

and +1000000000000 on the frame rail thing. Don't use the notches, they are just doing to bend. It will still hold your car up and keep you safe, but the frame rails are a much better location to put a jackstand