User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1969 Ford Mustang BOSS 302

I have lots of Seniority Jenova's Avatar

1969 Ford Mustang BOSS 302

I've always wanted a sweet project car, and I came across a pretty awesome deal on this '69 BOSS...

First, pics:

First night I got it, it was dark and raining, so the pic is a bit of a mess..

These are after I wiped it down a little, it's still not quite clean though:

She runs... for now.

Now onto the stuff that's wrong with it. Immediately I noticed that the engine makes a ticking noise when it's running, which I can only assume is a collapsed lifter somewhere in there. Gonna have to take her into the shop for that one, since I don't know nearly enough about engines and also have no way to pull it out.

There also wasn't a hose connecting the radiator to the coolant tank, and the air filter looked like it hadn't been replaced since 1969, so I went ahead and hooked that up and slapped a new filter on. That's easy stuff.

I'm noticing now there's a lot more wrong than I originally thought (story of builds like this always, huh?). Power steering is leaking, transmission also, the front suspension needs to be replaced... eventually (not in a hurry to do that one), and the right front fender is only half-bolted down so I think it was probably in a pretty serious accident at some point, and whoever re-assembled it did a piss-poor job... I just hope the body is ok, it looks fine but who knows...

Also, the two middle headlights are not hooked up at all, dashboard light doesn't work, the tape deck is original and works but the previous owner got a tape stuck in there so I'm gonna have to figure out how to get that out without ruining it.

Just pisses me off because the guy who sold it to me told me that the engine and transmission had been rebuilt 3000 miles ago, but that's CLEARLY bullshit and I should've gotten the car for a lot cheaper... *sigh*

Oh well, I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but it's going to be fuuuuun. I want to get her ready to drag race in June, we'll see if I can make the deadline.

I'll be updating with pics as I start doing serious work.

edit: this is an ongoing build thread, keep reading to see the work being done
    Last edited by Jenova; 5/09/2010 at 9:24 pm.

Congrats, that is a sweet ass car.

Casserole with an Asshole aenimav's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    holy shit

reminds me of the 66 coupe my dad used to have but sold

Quote Originally Posted by aenimav View Post
    holy shit

reminds me of the 66 coupe my dad used to have but sold
    My dad had a 68.

My mom had a 68 fastback, sold it before I was born

I think everyone at some point had a mustang lol

Casserole with an Asshole aenimav's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    yeah

my dads had transmission problems later on, and the interior need some serious work (rips and shit in the seats and carpet). my mom and dad bought it from some kid who gave it a black spray paint job and took it and get a legit paint job done for like 2k back in the 70's or whatever. kept it til like the early 90's, then sold it to a guy who restores mustangs. i remember driving by and actually seeing it in the dudes driveway til eventually he either sold it or moved.

I have lots of Seniority ArcAngel9's Avatar
    Awesome car good luck with the project

My Flickr EF First Name Crew

My dad wrecked his when I was really young. I think about 3-4. I remember it was before I started school. It was all just body stuff. He ended up selling the engine that he had in it. It wasn't original at all. He drag raced it a lot. It had a 428cj in it from another mustang. Huge fucking tires on the back. I was little so I don't really know much else about it.

He bought it new when he was a senior in high school and I still get people that ask me if he still has it. We have pictures of it, but they are all back home, and none in digital format.

Entense Supporter
    my dad had a mustang but we had to put it down after it broke its leg

Also, I think it might just be the angles on the pictures, but something seems really off about the rear end of that car and not just the lack of spoiler. It almost doesn't look like a boss at all. Like I said though it might just be the pictures.

Nice!

The Fucking King! Dapper Dan Man's Avatar
    That's a beautiful car. It looks like the body is in cherry condition. How much did you pick it up for if you don't mind me asking?
    http://i.minus.com/jImVjEu419qgD.png

Quote Originally Posted by ten View Post
    Also, I think it might just be the angles on the pictures, but something seems really off about the rear end of that car and not just the lack of spoiler. It almost doesn't look like a boss at all. Like I said though it might just be the pictures.
    It's because its not an original BOSS. It's a notchback. All Boss cars were fastbacks only. It might have the BOSS 302 engine in there, but who knows. FWIW, Fastbacks also had a more steeply raked windshield. Notchbacks are more upright which doesnt have that 'sporty' look.

The car looks like a fun project. I'm quite the Ford guy but I just bought my first Mustang recently. A 94 GT that needs a little work. My 10th Ford but 1st Stang.

Entense Supporter
    dunno how "projecty" this char is but it sure does look nice from the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenova View Post
    There also wasn't a hose connecting the radiator to the coolant tank, and the air filter looked like it hadn't been replaced since 1969, so I went ahead and hooked that up and slapped a new filter on. That's easy stuff.

I'm noticing now there's a lot more wrong than I originally thought (story of builds like this always, huh?). Power steering is leaking, transmission also, the front suspension needs to be replaced... eventually (not in a hurry to do that one), and the right front fender is only half-bolted down so I think it was probably in a pretty serious accident at some point, and whoever re-assembled it did a piss-poor job... I just hope the body is ok, it looks fine but who knows...

Also, the two middle headlights are not hooked up at all, dashboard light doesn't work, the tape deck is original and works but the previous owner got a tape stuck in there so I'm gonna have to figure out how to get that out without ruining it.

suspension kits are cheap. 1969 BOSS mustang parts are the same as 1970 Mustang V8 parts. spindles and and outer tie rods are different than the standard units.

PS leaks are common. Usually the control valve or hoses that hang too low and scrape. both are available readily and not too pricey.

Headlights... I don't mean to insult, but you know that the switch is on the floor around where the E brake is right? I don't know how well you know these cars, that's all. I am on a Cougar forum and lots of guys don't know the switch is there especially if they are new to old cars.

Original tape player? If it's an original Philco 8 track its worth some coin. Keep it around. It would be an 8 track. Cassette players weren't around back then.

Check the fender aprons for wrinkles. They should be pretty straight. My Cougar has virgin fender aprons so if you need pics to compare they would be identical.

I know the post above I said it was not a BOSS car, I still believe that it isn't an original one. At least check the shock towers to see if there are the reinforcement plates. If you plan to drag race this car, you'll want those in place. They are about 1/4 inch thick plates welded to the shock towers just to help cope with the stress of the bigger engines. They would not be on 6 cylinder or standard 302 cars. They are ONLY on cars that had 351s, 390s, 428s and BOSS 302s.

What are the first 5 in your VIN? Should be 9F01_. F, G, H, M . (letters in order mean 302 2bbl, Boss 302, 351 2bbl, 351 4bbl.) 9 means 69, F means San Jose built (might be R for Dearborn built) and 01 means coupe (looks like a coupe but a Fastback would be 02).

Lol. You just reminded me of my best friend's 64 1/2 in high school. I don't remember exactly why I was driving it without him but I remember it was at my house and I was driving it to his. Anyway, it was dark and I could not figure out how to turn on the headlights until my mom came out and showed me.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtninecoug View Post
    suspension kits are cheap. 1969 BOSS mustang parts are the same as 1970 Mustang V8 parts. spindles and and outer tie rods are different than the standard units.

PS leaks are common. Usually the control valve or hoses that hang too low and scrape. both are available readily and not too pricey.

Headlights... I don't mean to insult, but you know that the switch is on the floor around where the E brake is right? I don't know how well you know these cars, that's all. I am on a Cougar forum and lots of guys don't know the switch is there especially if they are new to old cars.

Original tape player? If it's an original Philco 8 track its worth some coin. Keep it around. It would be an 8 track. Cassette players weren't around back then.

Check the fender aprons for wrinkles. They should be pretty straight. My Cougar has virgin fender aprons so if you need pics to compare they would be identical.

I know the post above I said it was not a BOSS car, I still believe that it isn't an original one. At least check the shock towers to see if there are the reinforcement plates. If you plan to drag race this car, you'll want those in place. They are about 1/4 inch thick plates welded to the shock towers just to help cope with the stress of the bigger engines. They would not be on 6 cylinder or standard 302 cars. They are ONLY on cars that had 351s, 390s, 428s and BOSS 302s.

What are the first 5 in your VIN? Should be 9F01_. F, G, H, M . (letters in order mean 302 2bbl, Boss 302, 351 2bbl, 351 4bbl.) 9 means 69, F means San Jose built (might be R for Dearborn built) and 01 means coupe (looks like a coupe but a Fastback would be 02).
    Yea, I'm not stupid lol. The middle headlights are not hooked up. The wires are hanging out and shit. The outer ones work fine though, and it's the same switch.

You might be right about the 8-track, but either way there's something jammed in there so I'm gonna have to figure that one out.

The VIN is 9RO1H...

69 notchback originally 351W 2bbl car.

Not an original Boss 302 car, but it has the 'good' reinforced shock towers already and it should have a 9 inch rear end as well.

In the long term not gonna be as collectible as a Boss car of course, but the notchbacks were lighter and if you plan to race it and have fun it's a good platform to start with.

Dude that car is sick. It looks like it will be a shitload of fun when your done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CANNON View Post
    Uhh I'm not gay. Just because my dick was in his mouth and my balls were being cupped ever so gently, doesn't make me gay.

Entense Supporter
    Oh my fucking god that is just fucking BEAUTIFUL!

Grats man!