User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UTI, Wyotech, etc.

I went to a location technical college (with several campuses) on a full-ride scholarship, because at the time I was loving cars and the performance scene and I didnt have to pay a dime, so I said why not. As for getting a job as soon as I graduated (and I graduated quick, 9 months to finish my 18 mo program), I applied at 22 places before I landed one. Took me forever, and even then, I started as a light line/lube tech, basically easy shit. But I can honestly say, I didnt know shit. My first oil change/rotate probably took me 1.5 hours. I wasnt a car whiz going into school, just the random performance bolt-ons.

Honestly the school didnt teach me shit for how to MECHANIC. It didnt have me do oil changes, and timing belts, and brakes, and etc. It was more of the theory, how to test sensors, how to rebuild transmission, how to measure rotors, THAT type of shit. And I can understand why now it took me forever to land a job. Id much rather hire the kid with 2 years of experience over the kid with 2 years of school. If you are a whiz going INTO school, and really push yourself, you can get into the competitions (like AYES) and get some recognition from manufacturers.

We had a guy that was like 35ish join the school, worked on cars most his life, blasted through the program in like 6 months, and landed a job with GM and some Gold program of theirs. They basically took him under their wing and trained him themselves. But you gotta know your shit and attract their attention, show some promise.

As for the ASE's, Ive never failed one myself, I took 2-3 at a time, just studied for a week or so beforehand. It was nice when my independent shop gave me raises for each one (I have 7) but after I went back to the dealership, they dont honestly give a fuck. They'd rather have you trained with the manufacturer, and that shit is 10x harder than ASE's. Honda alone is a total of like 618 modules or some shit, and we're talking 30m-1h per. I was up to about 94% last year and I'm sure I lost maybe 10% just with the shit they've added. It's constantly being changed/updated.

Either way, I wouldnt mess with the shit unless you get a full-ride. Just stick to a local tech college if you want something like that.

FWIW, once you graduate and get a job in the shop be prepared for none of the other techs to take you seriously. Its sad but true.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
    my brother just graduated from UTI in january

it really is whatever you make of it, he was one of the tops in his class for literally everything. they are really tight ass about being late/absent though it seemed

he did the diesel program and doesnt have a job yet but hasnt really looked either. he's currently traveling with a nitro funny car (NHRA full throttle series) on the pit crew

he's got a couple buddies that did wyotech, etc and they all had no problem catching on at dealerships and what not
    so you're saying it's about who you know and not what you know?

CC cut 3,000+ classes and I just got shafted (along with other people I know) for the class I NEED for my Cert. I'm one class away and it just got taken by a bunch of financial aid people.

Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by eedna
    anyway point is im not gay and i watched a 9 year old jack off for like 2 years

get over it

This class won't be up for another 1+ year(s). Thinking of going to UTI to get this shit over with lol.

get over it

We just hired a guy out of Wyotech. Didn't know how to drive a stick or use a tire machine.......
    "...a true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

coonboy, that's not surprising in the least bit. The tech school I went to had a population of 90% morons who wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

The Fucking King! PrincessArnage's Avatar
    LOL, yup. Automotive schools are a waste of time. I was foolish and went to one. Luckily they did not charge like any of the big names did. All you learn at those schools is theory, which is 99% useless when actually working on a car.

Right now I just got a job at a Chevy/Buick dealer as a Tech. But they hired me because I had a few years experience at a Buick dealership working on all the new cars. As soon as a new model came out and GM released them to dealerships, I had one in my bay and I went through them with a fine tooth comb. Read all the info they put out on them and knew about everything on the car before the service techs did. Thats the only reason I landed this job, not because of some whack schooling.
    Last edited by PrincessArnage; 8/22/2011 at 6:24 pm.
    he would kiss me and touch me and make me play with him he told me what we were doing wasnt wrong because he was my dad

my first post in this thread agrees with you Mowgli. Terrible waste of money tbh. I do have a much better job than I did a year ago though.

The Fucking King! PrincessArnage's Avatar
    Find a niche and work it. Thats the best way to make money in this industy.
    he would kiss me and touch me and make me play with him he told me what we were doing wasnt wrong because he was my dad

Quote Originally Posted by Coonboy888 View Post
    We just hired a guy out of Wyotech. Didn't know how to drive a stick or use a tire machine.......
    I can do both.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoWGLi View Post
    Find a niche and work it. Thats the best way to make money in this industy.
    I haven't found an independent repair shop looking for a porter, I'm going to try some auto body shops next then the dealerships.

Fucking stressful though.

get over it

As stated before by a few it is completely dependent on what you make of it.

The students on the other hand will always be horrible no matter where you go, way worse than high school.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MotMan View Post
    so you're saying it's about who you know and not what you know?
    where did i say that lol

also, he got hired by peterson tractor/caterpillar right when he got back off the road from the race team. they sent him to like a 3 month training program and hes been working full time since january, 40+ hours a week making like 25-30 an hour i think

it was an extremely long hiring process it seemed, 3-4 interviews, etc etc but he wound up getting the job because of how well he did at UTI with his grades, attendance, etc. the career people there spoke very well of him i'd assume. and one of the main things that pushed my brother over the edge to get hired was his time traveling with the funny car

i went to UTI in Rancho Cucamonga. Graduated in June 2009. Simply put its just like high school there are students who dont pay attention and those who strive to be the best. They help you find a job, but it is up to you to contact the employer and impress them to guarantee yourself a position.

I took the Mercedes START program, and i can honestly say that is the only reason I am working at a shop today (especially because i have no prior experience working on cars). I had 2 job offers from Walters Mercedes and Downtown LA Benz, but because of my driving record they couldnt insure me so i am currently working at a indepedent shop that specializes in bmw, mercedes, n porsche.

This is my first job in this field of work and i am enjoying every bit of it. Alot of my friends started off as lube techs but i got real lucky and got put straight to work on real shit. Also happens that the shop foreman at my shop also graduated from UTI (houston campus) with Mercedes Elite program back in 2000, now he is a Mercedes Mastertech. Few of my other friends also got hired at Mercedes (2 were paid to travel out of state by the dealership) and Audi dealerships right after graduation. But there are also few other friends who are still struggling to find jobs.

Yeah, like somebody said before what you learn is all theory, but is that bad? because its your understanding of the theory that seperates you as a diagnosis tech from the parts changers.
    Last edited by chansta; 8/31/2011 at 12:33 am.