User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UTI, Wyotech, etc.

UTI, Wyotech, etc.

What do you guys think of schools like this? I'm going to UTI in Rancho Cucamongo tomorrow for an admission interview. I've heard good and bad about them so I'm on the fence about it. I'm not starting anytime soon just going to check it out.

I was taking Automotive classes at a community college but budget cuts fucked me over this semester and I didn't get into a 10 credit class.

/thread

Edit:
    Last edited by Khnemu; 3/25/2010 at 12:17 am.

Entense Supporter
    Find another CC with an automotive program, it's cheaper and at least you'll have an AA to to fall back on if you want to go after your BA later

To put it simply, I dont know a single person (ie someone I went to high school with..not people over the internet) who has landed a job after going to either.

Super expensive, teacher to student ratio is something like 30-1..

They never stopped bugging me. We had some guy come into our high school auto class and give a demo/speech thing, made it sound all glorious.. They were still calling me while I was going to the tech school for autobody.

One plus is that you dont have to take the other classes. I had to take all of the basic classes with it.
    i like boobs.

Posting Slut
    Not worth it man. I went to Lincoln tech on a full ride and it was hardly worth it. The place was worse than high school, it was a prison. Like others have said, it was made out to be disney land. At least I got a super easy degree out of it though.

I would try to go to a local community college.

Keep in mind that where ever you go rather it be lincoln tech, wyotech, uti, etc., the local area job market is already full of current students.

That's what I thought, I knew it was going to be extremely expensive. Friend from CC is going to Wyotech and he said he's paying like 25K to go. I doubt I'll enroll but I don't want to spend 4-5 years at CC trying to get into a fucking class, lol.

Thanks for the input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by eedna
    anyway point is im not gay and i watched a 9 year old jack off for like 2 years

get over it

What do you want to do after you finish?

Casserole with an Asshole aenimav's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    I thought about going to wyotech but then talked myself out of it, thank god.

Where would i be right now if i went... probably working in a walmart auto center changing oil on minivans and paying off the ridiculous amount of debt from the student loans.

I have a buddy who went to UTI in Philly. He got a job almost immediately working at a Ford dealership here, and now he's in Hawaii working at some Goodyear place. I think he hates his job, but the money is decent.

Quote Originally Posted by uskrewed View Post
    Find another CC with an automotive program, it's cheaper and at least you'll have an AA to to fall back on if you want to go after your BA later
    very good advice.

I went to an auto tech school (Nashville Auto Diesel College) and can honestly say that I wasted my time and money. Maybe I'm saying that now because my job isn't exactly what I wanted right out of school (I'm at a body shop as overall shop help/errand runner/etc.), but I still stick my thought that I could have done better.

I don't know how it will be at UTI for ya, but NADC was overrun with a bunch of dumbass right-out-of-high-school fucktards that had the hardest time figuring out how to properly use a spray gun. Oh yeah, btw, I went into their auto body program, NOT the diesel/gas engine program. I don't know which way you wanna go though, so, it could go better for ya.

Back to the students I went to school with though...90% of these kids were almost intolerable. Very immature kids.

It was expensive. I am going to end up owning Sallie Mae close to 30k.

If you can get the chance, find a place that will take you in as an apprentice. You can work along side someone who know's what he fuck they are doing day in and day out. If you find a good place with a good teacher, you'll pick all the stuff up you need to know just as fast as if you went to a school for it...maybe faster (depending on how serious you take it and how attentive you are).

Its not worth it. Get a CC degree and get some ASE certifications.

Quote Originally Posted by ten View Post
    What do you want to do after you finish?
    I want to work at a performance shop, but I know that won't happen right off the bat. I don't care if its R/R on shitty cars at some shady mechanic shop, as long as I'm wrenching and I'm gaining experience. Eventually I want to open my own shop (lol cliche) when I'm a old ass man but I'm focusing on what's going to happen in the next 5 years.

I had an interview with a girl at UTI for admission, she basically said to take the Automotive portion (~30,000 dollars) and go from there. She also said if I add on the Ford FACT class it would be easier for me to get a job at a dealership.

I don't have the money to pay for that, she basically said she would get a bunch of federal aid and grants, scholarships, etc. Then she can go from there to see how much I would need in loans to cover the rest.

She also said that they find you a job 12 weeks before you graduate (I call BS), I'd also have to drive an hour and a half one way (3 hours round trip for you simple minded) every day to attend. Also it's Mon-Fri about 5 hours a day. Don't know the whole schedule.

I'm going to sleep on it, she's calling me tomorrow to follow up.

tl;dr Went to UTI, girl told me I can get mad cash to pay for school from teh gov. I'm sleeping on it.
    Last edited by Khnemu; 3/25/2010 at 11:01 pm.

get over it

There were people I went to school with who had already went to uti/wyo, and went back to school because they needed more education. All of them preferred, and got more out of the local tech school.

I dont recall what it cost exactly, but I think even with my tools and box I was still under or around 10k.
    i like boobs.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by iNternal View Post
    Its not worth it. Get a CC degree and get some ASE certifications.
    You need 2 years experience for ASEs, and the tests aren't easy per se, and I don't think oil change places count.

Performance shops generally don't take people from schools, you either gotta know someone from the shop or have great references.

The Ford FACT thing does indeed help, but only moderately. It gives you a slighty better chance of getting in but you'll still end up doing the same thing someone who didnt get the training does - which is fetch cars for 3 months, change oil for 12, the maybe make apprentice. The sad truth is that you may be better off without it because once you go through it you have the mind set of "Okay now I'm going to work at Ford" and you limit yourself to it, whereas someone who didn't will just apply anyway and have many more chances.

The fact that they call them interviews are very misleading, they accept nearly everyone. The "interview" is to make you feel better about yourself and put you in a good mood so that you want to join the school. These places are money pits, they have more people working in the financial aid department than teachers because they know that their students are too stupid to fill out fafsa forms.

There is a minimum amount of school that you need to go through in order for them to be accredited, so to lower costs they have students spend the last month or so working or take a class that is along the lines of what it would be like to work. Messed up part of this is that even if you have a job and spend 1 hour a week at school you still pay the full amount of tuition as you would for any other class. < This part might be different for wyotech, but even if they do find you a job it's likely to be at jiffy lube.

You can get federal aid at nearly any school, so don't worry about money. http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ Oh and part of the healthcare bill was to help students get more free money, or loans with lower interest rates so you should read up on that too.

Great post uskrewed, I'm going to wait til fall to try and get a class at my CC. I think the thing that attracted me the most was to be done in 14 months.

Thanks for the great input guys, I appreciate it.

get over it

Entense Supporter
    Eh.... after I decided I no longer wanted to be a teacher I quit my job at the park and dropped out of uni. Started working at a pepboys doing meager shit like tires and lube jobs and finally decided to goto school for it after about 2 months. Looked around and the whole done in a year thing was appealing to me as well, but I regret it so much now. I have no idea why I didn't follow my instincts because every step of the way I wanted to stop - from the 'interview', the tour, the 'entrance exam', the sign up process, and the students.

The interview was a joke, it was like one of those cults where they ask you questions that should be rhetorical but the people they're aimed at are so dumb they approach them like it's profound. "Have you always wanted to work with your hands?" and just inane shit like that.

The entrance exam was just a face palm... questions like how many mm are in 14.4 cms and add 1/4 to 1/8. I thought they were fucking with me when they told me they'd never seen someone score a perfect before. It's just in place to make people think that the school is selective and that you're 'good enough' but in all reality they accept everyone.

Signing up was a joke, they had me sign infantile contracts like "I promise to come to class everyday on time...." blah blah blah. They'd asked for my W2 which I thought was weird until after a few questions I realized they had intended on filling out my fafsa for me. I was like... isn't that something I should be filling out on my own? Are you guys allowed to do this for me? "It's just that some of our students don't know how to fill out this paperwork so we fill it out for them and they review and sign off on it" REALLY? Fafsa asks the most simple information and is ridiculously easy to follow and you have a team of 30 people helping new students fill this shit out?

The students... there were few (read: less than 5%) intelligent, VERY naive, motivated kids... but they were fresh out of high school and ridiculously wet behind the ears. 10% well meaning people who are just dumber than a bag of bricks. Good, honest people... just can't think their way out of a paper bag. They're usually older and work 50 hours a week in addition to going to school so they either sleep or stay quiet during class. I'd say about 20% were foreigners who figured this is a great way to start off life in america. 30% were gangster wannabes who were forced into going to school by their parents or else they'd get kicked out. They're just as bad as the next group but without the criminal record. 35% were parolees who were on basically a free ride because they had 0 income and were only there because they would rather be there than jail. Some schools don't allow people with criminal records in, but that doesn't stop the people who pleaded down a felony to a misdemeanor in exchange for attending 'school'.

Class itself would be easy to transition into if you're still in the HS mindset but totally fucks with your head if you've gotten past it. Seeing the same retards for 5 hours a day 5 days a week gets frustrating pretty quickly. Overall it's pretty much is like attending a HS for crack babies.

As for finding a job after finishing - every place I went to said they'd rather see experience than finishing school, but that a lot of their techs need to goto school because they don't have the study habits to do ASEs on their own accord so they generally like people who went to school as well.

tl;dr steer clear of any 'school' that has to advertise on television.

I can vouch for those ASE's not being a walk in the park. I studied for a week straight and only passed one out of five (got really close on two others, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, ya know). They get easier with time and experience though.

Job placement at NADC was a joke. I'm sure UTI/Wyotech don't fall far from that tree either.

I went to an automotive school in central Pa, Penn state affiliate: Pennsylvania College of Technology. Not only can you get an associates degree in automotive, you can transition that into a bachelors in a variety of programs ( I got mine in business and marketing). They offer motorsports programs and have toyota and ford programs there too. www.pct.edu
    "...a true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Lol, guess what came in the mail today?

UTI!

get over it

Entense Supporter
    my brother just graduated from UTI in january

it really is whatever you make of it, he was one of the tops in his class for literally everything. they are really tight ass about being late/absent though it seemed

he did the diesel program and doesnt have a job yet but hasnt really looked either. he's currently traveling with a nitro funny car (NHRA full throttle series) on the pit crew

he's got a couple buddies that did wyotech, etc and they all had no problem catching on at dealerships and what not