Thread: next stop, 275 bench... a progress thread

Entense Supporter
    ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
    i weigh 135 pounds, i can probably bench a newspaper
    visit the official EF Minecraft website @ http://efcraft.net
    SERVER ADDRESS HAS CHANGED! PLEASE CONNECT TO: play.efcraft.net

Master of Posting
    Quote Originally Posted by Impact View Post
    benched 225 yesterday 3 times. i had a girl spotting me so it made me kind of nervous. :/
    dude I never realized how crucial a good spotter was. My friend just started working out and I've been showing him how to lift and shit..anyways my lifting partner was gone that day so I had him give me a spot on the bench..well instead of helping me get the last rep or 2 he just fucking jerked the weight off as hard as he could and racked it

gave a little "how to spot" lesson after that

Someone posts A LOT Shlong Connery's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Impact View Post
    i had a girl spotting me so it made me kind of nervous.
    you sir, have balls

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by schism13 View Post
    dude I never realized how crucial a good spotter was. My friend just started working out and I've been showing him how to lift and shit..anyways my lifting partner was gone that day so I had him give me a spot on the bench..well instead of helping me get the last rep or 2 he just fucking jerked the weight off as hard as he could and racked it

gave a little "how to spot" lesson after that
    I got the "how to spot" lesson from DapperDanMan about 5 years ago. :tear:

make sure you also give him the proper lift off technique too.

this girl can actually spot really well. not the strongest lift off, but knows when to help and what not.

Not a New Bitch
    I say to add weight to your bench you should eat things that will supplement muscle growth. You're already working out. I've followed a good (I think) routine for almost a year now. Ive seen my 3 rep bench max go from 185 when I started to 315 currently. My weight has gone from 230ish to 190ish. Legs have seen the most improvement, squat 6 rep max from 205 to 405 and leg press from 600 to 1250. I have increased in every area consistently. I never did cardio and I dont juice. I tried to be as good as possible about my protein intake (amounts and timing) and sticking to the routine. The name of it is Simply Huge and it came out of a muscle and fitness magazine. Search google and you'll find it. Also, why do you have to do it in 8 weeks?

Another trick: If you've got a good spotter and you've done a decent warm up, just put 225 on there and go to 6. Negatives are a great thing for shocking your muscles.
    Last edited by Stookay; 4/02/2010 at 7:46 pm.

flat bench:
    95x5
    135x2x5
    165x10 get em
    155x5 paused

rack bench:
    165x7 uhhh?
    165x8
    165x8

incline bench: still getting used to this, light weight
    3x8x115

the rest of the workout was a mess, i didnt write down the exercises so i forgot what to do and kind of did a mish mash of low rep shoulder exercises with dumbbells, but my shoulders were wrecked early and ive got shit to prep for tonight so i kind of left early again. as long as i hit the flat bench top set im happy though
    - 1025 lb

drink milk like it's our job crew

legs abs and broceps today.

squats:
    5x135
    5x185
    5x225
    5x260
    3x290 leaned too far forward on 3rd rep, took a good 3 or 4 seconds to finish the rep out
    8x245

preacher curls:
    3x8x60

db curls:
    6x35
    5x35 too much weight, next time i will just start at 30 and stay there. my ego got in the way
    8x30

straight bar curls:
    2x8x60

then like 4 sets of some ab stuff. squats are really difficult when you only do them once a week, I'm not sure if I should throw some more squats in or not (on a different day), as 290x3 was exceptionally hard.

PWO shake of milk, banana, oats, dextrose, french vanilla creme whey and some sweettarts on the side, fuckyeah
    - 1025 lb

Somewhat Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IJericho View Post
    i weigh 135 pounds, i can probably bench a newspaper
    I weigh 135 too. But I bench 235lbs right now. I guess I'm one of those crazy short guys that lifts a lot more than they look like they can.

Stats:

5'5"
    ~135-140lbs...fluctuates

bench max 235lbs 1rm
    squat max 285lbs 1rm
    deadlift max 395lbs 1rm
    ohp max 135lbs 1rm

I'd much rather have more height and have a lower bf than be as strong as I am. I also suck at anything over 5 reps...I run out of steam pretty quick.

You can checkout my training log...I recently moved to trying texas method from my own derivation of stronglifts.

http://stronglifts.com/forum/gatorne...og-t21266.html

Good luck on getting 225lbs.

got back up to 225 today. 1st set x10, 2nd x8, and 3rd x5. Had to tone down the rest of my workout but i feel good nonetheless!

flat bench:
    95x5
    135x5
    155x3
    170x8
    170x7
    170x7 didnt hit all my reps but i still felt good about all the sets.

db bench:
    60x7
    60x6
    60x7

db incline:
    im having a hard time getting down form for this, im moving the dbs too far forward instead of just straight up and down and its making it harder to get the reps out. this exercise just feels awkward to me
    45x4 ???
    45x7
    45x7

db flies: was supposed to be incline but im lazy
    35x9
    35x8
    35x8

tricep rope pushdowns:
    60x3x7

skullcrushers: first time doing these
    barx10
    +20x3x7

my diet has been awesome lately
    - 1025 lb

Entense Supporter
    If you really want to see results, this is a PDF from Westside Barbell, there guys are some of the strongest guys in the world. Louie Simmons is a legend in power lifting and he owns the gym.

http://westside-barbell.com/westside...kout_03_06.pdf

One of the best competing bench pressers in the world George Halbert uses this method, so does half the NFL.

I've posted his routines before on here, but it's been awhile since I threw out my back in '06. It's been four years and I'm going to start lifting again finally this weekend. I can assure you that his methods of training work. One of his best guys is a good friend of mine; which is how I know him.

There are a ton of articles here:
    http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles/

The gist of many of his methods is rooted in this idea: the law of accommodation. The Law of Accommodation occurs if you handle the same weights and same training percentages all the time, your performance will go in reverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy
    Finished the round of life for the day

the only thing i measure is arms, only because it's so quick and simple to do, and i figure if my arms are growing, the rest of my body probably is as well. at the start of the quarter i had just hit 14 inches on my right arm, 2 weeks later im at 14.25. i think it's time i grew a set of guns
    - 1025 lb

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
    The gist of many of his methods is rooted in this idea: the law of accommodation. The Law of Accommodation occurs if you handle the same weights and same training percentages all the time, your performance will go in reverse.
    I don't know enough exercises to really switch up my workouts that well... I have to show my lifting partners everything, and I only know what I was shown from years ago. Any recommendations on how I might switch up my routine? I'm by no means trying to break bench records, but if I can experience gains faster I'm all for it.

Master of Posting
    I switch shit up all the time..but nothing too drastic.

for example- one week ill do barbell rows so the next week ill do db, or leaning db rows on an incline bench.

or cable rows you can do close grip, 1 hand, wide grip, etc.

shrugs - behind the back, bb, db, leaning db, sitting, etc.

theres so many variations of exercises just think about it and switch it up..

BANNED
    While were on the topic of benching...if I can dumbbell bench 75 lbs three sets of eight, what weight will I be able to max out on?

work prevented me from lifting yesterday but it was a deadlift day and i wanted to take a week off from that anyway. so tomorrow will be day A of week 3, 175x2x8
    Last edited by coldeye; 4/09/2010 at 6:17 pm.
    - 1025 lb

Master of Posting
    Quote Originally Posted by BreezieMike View Post
    While were on the topic of benching...if I can dumbbell bench 75 lbs three sets of eight, what weight will I be able to max out on?
    usually your stronger on barbell vs dumbbell..so id say you should be able to rep 185 no problem, with a max somewhere around 215 if not more..try lifting barbell and see what you can do (you can use a 1rm calc to figure out your max)

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by schism13 View Post
    usually your stronger on barbell vs dumbbell..so id say you should be able to rep 185 no problem, with a max somewhere around 215 if not more..try lifting barbell and see what you can do (you can use a 1rm calc to figure out your max)
    See I used to play baseball back in the day and my right shoulder joint hurts when I bench. I try to stick with dumbbells as much as possible.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BreezieMike View Post
    See I used to play baseball back in the day and my right shoulder joint hurts when I bench. I try to stick with dumbbells as much as possible.
    my shoulder hurt sometimes too. i work out with this old ass powerlifter who actually was a trainer for the blues for a little while (im talking 1980s). He really helped my form out on the bench. I put a 25 plate on the bench and had my back arched on it. got me to switch to suicide grip. a few other things, but sometimes just going back and using light weight will help you rediscover your proper form.

Master of Posting
    I was under the impression db's put more stress on the shoulders..am I wrong?