User Tag List

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: next stop, 275 bench... a progress thread

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by schism13 View Post
    I was under the impression db's put more stress on the shoulders..am I wrong?
    For some reason, when I dumbbell bench press the strain is less. Maybe it has to do with how low I go on the rep compared to the actual bar.

Entense Supporter
    Improper form is the #1 reason why your shoulders hurt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy
    Finished the round of life for the day

Entense Supporter
    Improper form is the #2 reason why your shoulders hurt...being punched in the shoulder is the number #1 reason why your shoulders hurt.

So remember, keep good form and don't get punched in the shoulder (or dislocate it, that may be #3).

The Fucking King!
    ill be at 225 next month

been a long week with having to learn new shifts and working the special lunch for incoming freshmen yesterday. first day back since tuesday, but it was a good workout

flat bench:
    5x95
    2x5x135
    3x155
    8x175 yesss, almost pussied out and did 170 again but i manned up and hit it
    7x175

rack bench:
    6x175 was supposed to do 3x6 today so i jumped up 10 lbs which was kind of dumb in retrospect
    5x175
    6x170

incline bench: i still strongly dislike this exercise
    8x115
    6x135
    5x135
    5x135 so weak

db flies:
    10x35 too light
    2x8x40

overhead press:
    5x95 too heavy and im wrecked by this point
    2x8x80

side lat raises:
    3x8x20

well i hit the 175x8 which is fantastic, i'm not sure if i;ll be able to do 180x8, i might have to try 177.5. also, 175x8 is 10 lbs higher than my 8 rep max 3 weeks ago, not bad progress
    Last edited by coldeye; 4/11/2010 at 3:57 pm.
    - 1025 lb

drink milk like it's our job crew

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by abernat View Post
    Improper form is the #2 reason why your shoulders hurt...being punched in the shoulder is the number #1 reason why your shoulders hurt.

So remember, keep good form and don't get punched in the shoulder (or dislocate it, that may be #3).
    It's from playing baseball...wear n tear of cartilage

bro 225 is not hard to get, you have to do more reps
    Love me or hate me, I'm still better than you

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by great33 View Post
    thanks bro for the great advice.

Entense Supporter
    Coldeye, contact me over AIM. If you really want to push your numbers up, and gain muscle strength I can help you. But there's way to much to type over this forum, and most people on here would probably give the proverbial Wall of Text response to me if I did type it out...

I've been watching your work out routine for a few weeks now, and you seem dedicated enough to follow what I'm going to suggest, but if you have 10 minutes, I will make it worth your while.

Quote Originally Posted by great33 View Post
    Wow. Really? And here I thought I had to do some silly rain dance, masterbate to sheep pictures, and rub myself down with palm oil and run through the sprinkler at midnight.....

Please don't just go to the bottom of the post, and respond with something that 12 people have already said; if you have something legitimate to add, by all means share it, but stating something obvious, repeating what others have already said, or just giving the most mundane or basic answer is pure spam; and this forum sub doesn't need that....

Quote Originally Posted by BreezieMike View Post
    It's from playing baseball...wear n tear of cartilage
    How much are you benching?

BANNED
    I dumbbell bench 75lbs, 3 sets of 8

From seated position to laying down, I find it very difficult to bring the dumbbells up for the first rep...takes a lot out of me.
    Last edited by BreezieMike; 4/11/2010 at 11:54 pm.

From seated position to laying down, I find it very difficult to bring the dumbbells up for the first rep...takes a lot out of me.
    if that's the case, you definitely need a spotter for an up. I think you will get a lot more done this way. Doing this for a week or two you will for sure see your max up.

Entense Supporter

Wait, are you talking about laying flat and doing a dumbbell bench press or doing an incline position dumbbell bench press?

EDIT: I just went back and looked at your previous post at top of this thread; your shoulders may be hurting because your bringing the dumbbells down too low.
    Last edited by Moo Strength; 4/12/2010 at 11:18 pm.

Entense Supporter
    I almost got 225 today. I had it halfway up, about to get to the point where I can easily get it up the rest of the way... then down it went. All I can say is good luck man, and stay motivated. I've gone up wonders from last year, and all it takes is serious dedication and don't quit/miss workout sessions/etc. Looking forward to your post saying that you got it.
    This is not for you.

you know what i mean, i'm around 185 and i can bench 325 and all i do is shoulder circuit, and a bench burnout, with like 205
    Last edited by great33; 4/14/2010 at 1:30 pm. Reason: word use
    Love me or hate me, I'm still better than you

225 is a good goal set for me too

question for people like moo strength: if i can bench 225 for like 3 sets, what is a reasonably one rep max for me to try out? i have never even considered doing a one rep max before but now i am curious.

yesterday:

squats:
    5x135
    5x185
    5x225
    5x255
    3x290 another complete stall on the third rep, but i locked it out
    8x245

preacher curls:
    3x8x60

db curls:
    3x8x30

standing straight bar curls:
    2x8x60

some ab stuff.

I'm going to only do a 2.5 lb increase tomorrow for my top flat bench set. Was supposed to be 180x8 but I had trouble with 175x8 so I think 177.5x8 is more feasible. Then I'll probably do another 2.5 so I'll be at 180x3x6, 185x2x6, and 190x6 for the 3 workouts after that, which is doable.
    Last edited by Moo Strength; 4/15/2010 at 3:57 am.
    - 1025 lb

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahnja View Post
    question for people like moo strength: if i can bench 225 for like 3 sets, what is a reasonably one rep max for me to try out? i have never even considered doing a one rep max before but now i am curious.
    Well, this really is a very loaded question, because the answer to that, depends on the type of lifting that you do.

This was a post I made 4 years ago, it explains the style of lifting I did which was called Dynamic Reflexive.

http://forums.entensity.net/showpost...2&postcount=17
    Unfortunately, 3 years ago I had a major injury to L5S1 and L5S2 in my lower back. I had a problem with this fucker below:

I tried moving that printer one day in 2007 and it fell apart on me as I was holding it. I made the mistake of moving it with the tray 4 attachment and thought I could merely move it from a table, to the floor. Dumb mistake. 400 pounds decided to fall apart on me in my hands. They're not supremely heavy per se, but they are cumbersome.

This routine above was long before I hurt myself, and I did this routine pretty much 4 days a week from 1998 to 2007. In fact, if it hadn't been for this routine, instead of recovering 3 years later (I would have to say I was back to at best 85% - 90% only 3 months ago really), I would have probably had to have surgery and would now have permanent damage to my back and would have been crippled for life

The style of lifting I used to do was called Dynamic Reflexive. There really is no maximum amount in Dynamic Reflexive per se, or percentage increase to do; because one week it might be a 5% gain, and another week be no gain...

The maximum amount is whatever amount is realized when you can't lift anymore. My max effort work outs were only ever done in a standard bench press, and max effort for me would occur once every 8 weeks.

Using my routine (And you really need to read that above post first so this makes sense) I would do my warm ups, really light weight, say 25% - 35%, just to get my blood flowing, wake up my muscles, and warm up.

Then, I would take whatever was the last maximum, let's say it was 200 just for simplicity here. I would bench that one time, and by bench I mean doing this verbatim: bring it down to your chest, don't bounce the bar, then press it up in a steady speed, not burst or fast; and lock out. If you can do that, after you lock out the bar, then after 1-2 seconds at being locked out, return the bar to the rack.

Wait about 45 seconds. Add 5 more pounds total (two 2.5 pound plates) and repeat the above routine.

Continue raising the amount 5 pounds until you bring the bar down to your chest, and can't push back to an apex. Whatever amount you stall it, the previous amount is your maximum effort.

alrighty! after reading that i realize that one of my football buddies does that exact same routine, i might give it a whirl this summer.

flat bench:
    95x5
    135x2x5
    155x3
    177.5x8 yeahhhh!!!! asked my spotter after if he had helped on the last rep and he said no, I was pretty excited.

db bench:
    65x3x7 its hard getting dumbbells into position

db incline:
    45x8
    50x3x6

db flies: not sure im doing this very well
    30x3x7

tricep rope pushdowns:
    60x2x8
    60x6 oops

skullcrushers:
    60x2x8
    60x7

only 2.5 more lbs and i will have officially turned my 5 rep max into an 8 rep max in ~3 weeks
    - 1025 lb