User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking into buying an AK - 47 or 74

Someone posts A LOT thricecambria's Avatar

Looking into buying an AK - 47 or 74

Looking at Century Arms Inc (heard that they were Bulgarian and made nice ones). Anyone own one or suggest one and easy add ons?
    Please Support the AK-47

iMacGyver

is this a thread for the ak itself or the accessories?? Kind of confusing

Elite Whore
    Century arms wasr10? if its a wasr10, i suggest you not buy it. my buddy had one; ammo is expensive and cheap quality and will most likely jam up on any round..

I have a Romanian WASR. I love it. Never jammed. Ammo was expensive, but is back down to around $230 a case.

Elite Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnell View Post
    I have a Romanian WASR. I love it. Never jammed. Ammo was expensive, but is back down to around $230 a case.
    from the little i know of AK47's, i always thought WASR-10's were the cheap AK's that ran around $250-$400 and came with cheap wood stocks/forearms that needed to be replaced and i also heard that the WASR's only held 10 round mags (not the 30 round banana) and had to be taken to a gunsmith to get it to take the 30 round mags

My WASR hold 10, 20, 30 and 40 round mags. The wood wasn't bad, but I after a little sanding and polishing, it now looks quite nice. I'm satisfied with it and given the opportunity would repeat the purchase.

I don't know how many of you are on SA (or if this can be read without an account), but http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=3244588 is the single best resource on AKs I've ever seen. Great reading.

Entense Supporter
    Wasr anything is not worth the money unless you just want something you can blow a few thousand rounds though and melt a barrel. You've got about a 50% chance of getting one that won't require some kind of work within the next year or so. bmk, yours was a single stack Wasr, i.e. a "Lo-cap" which is fucking dumb as hell. Don't get a Wasr, don't waste your money on Century. At worst, you should go with a Lancaster from Atlantic. At best, you should buy one from my shop that's custom built and almost always matching numbers (better matched parts mean a longer life and better operation.) Ammo isn't that expensive, it's come way down in the last year or so, and is back to near pre-idiocy levels.

The absolute best AK you can buy would be a real deal Russian Kalishnikov, if you could find one. Since the odds of getting one of those are about the same as Opie turning gay and letting Fangs fuck him in the ass, you should look for a complete Krinkov. Yugo or Bulgarian are rock solid. Wasrs are like the bargain basement level, there's a reason they're only $400ish.

REAL Official EF IRC channel irc://irc.efnet.net/entensity
    EF first name crew. EF Survival Crew. EF Marriage Crew
    Search for "hdshizzle" or click HERE for my HD movies!
    MOTHERFUCKING JEW CREW

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyJ View Post
    Wasr anything is not worth the money unless you just want something you can blow a few thousand rounds though and melt a barrel. You've got about a 50% chance of getting one that won't require some kind of work within the next year or so. bmk, yours was a single stack Wasr, i.e. a "Lo-cap" which is fucking dumb as hell. Don't get a Wasr, don't waste your money on Century. At worst, you should go with a Lancaster from Atlantic. At best, you should buy one from my shop that's custom built and almost always matching numbers (better matched parts mean a longer life and better operation.) Ammo isn't that expensive, it's come way down in the last year or so, and is back to near pre-idiocy levels.

The absolute best AK you can buy would be a real deal Russian Kalishnikov, if you could find one. Since the odds of getting one of those are about the same as Opie turning gay and letting Fangs fuck him in the ass, you should look for a complete Krinkov. Yugo or Bulgarian are rock solid. Wasrs are like the bargain basement level, there's a reason they're only $400ish.
    I think you're overgeneralizing. Everything I'm reading (I'm looking to buy an AK this summer which is why I'm doing research) is saying that WASR-10s are at the bottom of the AK barrel, but that doesn't mean they're pieces of shit. I've read that as long as the barrel is chrome-lined, it'll last quite a while. Besides, WASRs are so cheap that even if something did break or need to be replaced, you aren't out that much money over a more expensive Yugo or Hungarian. I'm probably gonna buy a WASR just because they're in my price range. I want a fun gun that will become kind of a project gun that I can learn on and modify.

^Exactly.

Do I wanna go to war with a WASR? Probably not.

Is it a fun & inexpensive gun that I can have a great time with at the range? Absolutely.

Guns&Ammo put out an issue I've recently picked up that called "Complete Book of the AK47" The cover shows the Bulgarian Century Arms AK74 - which uses the 5.45x39 which I have seen some very cheap prices on, like 2000 rounds for less than 300. The model was the NDS-2 is advertised to be selling around 450-500 which I don't think is a bad price. I know I want to get an AK but not sure - Will definitely take a second look at the WASR10 before making a purchase. Fangs I'm interested into what you end up getting.
    Please Support the AK-47

iMacGyver

Quote Originally Posted by thricecambria View Post
    Guns&Ammo put out an issue I've recently picked up that called "Complete Book of the AK47" The cover shows the Bulgarian Century Arms AK74 - which uses the 5.45x39 which I have seen some very cheap prices on, like 2000 rounds for less than 300. The model was the NDS-2 is advertised to be selling around 450-500 which I don't think is a bad price. I know I want to get an AK but not sure - Will definitely take a second look at the WASR10 before making a purchase. Fangs I'm interested into what you end up getting.
    I'm 99% sure I'll end up with a good quality WASR-10. I really want it chambered in 7.62x39, and I want some nice wooden furniture (which I wouldn't mind refinishing). As long as the barrel is chrome-lined, the WASR-10 will suit my needs just fine.

Bad-ass Member
    i have a romanian wasr-10 and love it. i dropped a red star arms adjustable trigger group into it and have had hours of endless bump firing fun.

http://www.redstararms.com/488.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTLU0v2agj4

seriously though.. wtf is with ammo these days. 5 or 6 years ago i could buy a 1000rd case of wolf for $60-$80. that shit is over $200 now and the quality has gone way down.
    Last edited by eeenvyyy; 4/02/2010 at 12:52 am.
    i am a fresh morning boner

Elite Whore
    ^ you dont really need a custom trigger assembly to bump fire ak's. im able to shoulder mount my friends AK with the factory trigger and bump fire it

Bad-ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmk View Post
    ^ you dont really need a custom trigger assembly to bump fire ak's. im able to shoulder mount my friends AK with the factory trigger and bump fire it
    yeah i know but the trigger group that comes in most of those cheap guns are complete shit and have terrible trigger slap. i guess the way i worded it, it is kinda misleading though.
    i am a fresh morning boner

Found a WASR 10 Romanian for $400 - gonna go check it out. I am hoping to find a 74 since the 5.45x39 would be comparable to the 5.56 increasing the accuracy. At work, I had a quick discussion with a few co-workers that prefer the ar-15 to any ak. Them basing their oppinions on accuracy vs. reliability - I am aware of the accuracy of the m-16 A2 and M4s at 300 meters and wonder what to expect from the AK. Also field stripping and cleaning the AK seem to be pretty easy to learn, anyone have some experience in this?
    Please Support the AK-47

iMacGyver

The AK was designed for uneducated peasant farmers to own and maintain. Stripping it is as easy as 1-2-3. The AR is absolutely a more accurater and high-tech weapon. And you'll pay for that tactical edge. The AK is a great bargain weapon for someone who is looking at getting involved in teh 'assault rifle' market.

Also, EVERYONE should know how to operate an AK. You'll never know if you might have to 'borrow' one in a hurry.

ATTENTION: THIS POST WAS WRITTEN BY C0WB0Y. DESPITE THE USERNAME TAG, I AM NOT SCHNELL.

Entense Supporter
    My friend has an AK-74 he built from flat plates. Fires a 5.45mm. Ammo is cheap and the gun is great. I love its shooting characteristics and accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnell View Post
    The AK was designed for uneducated peasant farmers to own and maintain. Stripping it is as easy as 1-2-3. The AR is absolutely a more accurater and high-tech weapon. And you'll pay for that tactical edge. The AK is a great bargain weapon for someone who is looking at getting involved in teh 'assault rifle' market.

Also, EVERYONE should know how to operate an AK. You'll never know if you might have to 'borrow' one in a hurry.
    This. The AR is definitely a better gun, but the AK is less than 1/2 the cost of the AR (hell, I've seen ARs go for $1500 depending on what little doodads you put on them). For me, it makes more sense right now to buy an AK for $400 than to spend $1000+ on an AR. I'd love an AR, but I won't be able to afford one for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MechAnt View Post
    My friend has an AK-74 he built from flat plates. Fires a 5.45mm. Ammo is cheap and the gun is great. I love its shooting characteristics and accuracy.
    I am thinking this ^

If I can get the 74, upgrade to a ghost ring sight, then I have the same accuracy as the ar, more reliability than the ar, easy take apart and low maintenance for almost 1/3 the price.
    Please Support the AK-47

iMacGyver