User Tag List

Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: [MLB] Official 2010 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nickbahhh View Post
    Central looks pretty weak. Like every year though, they need to stay healthy .
    As opposed to the AL West?

AL West has one team that I would consider weak.

Aside from the Cards.........maybe the Cubs or Brewers will finish above .500. I wouldn't put money on either happening though.
    http://i.minus.com/irCo4CcM7v4Xh.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AED View Post
    What do you have against Aardsma?
    absolutely nothing now. i think i was confusing him with john halama (another weird name guy) from the mid-aughts that played a year for us as well. aardsma only played in 08 and had a pretty good year. sorry david.

2008 BOS 4 2 5.55 47 0 0 0 0 1 48.2 49 32 30 4 5 35 49 .268 1.73 1.27

I have lots of Seniority aedeos b.a.'s Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rmpotsy View Post
    absolutely nothing now. i think i was confusing him with john halama (another weird name guy) from the mid-aughts that played a year for us as well. aardsma only played in 08 and had a pretty good year. sorry david.

2008 BOS 4 2 5.55 47 0 0 0 0 1 48.2 49 32 30 4 5 35 49 .268 1.73 1.27
    Interesting. Oddly, Halama was also a Mariner, and I think we shipped him off to eventually wind up wherever you hated him at.

Aardsma is the man, though.

AL West has one team that I would consider weak.

Aside from the Cards.........maybe the Cubs or Brewers will finish above .500. I wouldn't put money on either happening though.
    If you took each teams 3&4 hitters, added their OPS from last year together, the Cardinals, Cubs, and Brewers would finish 1, 2 ,3 (the Yankees were 4th). You may be able to pick on individual batters, but all three of these teams have formidable lineups.

Starting pitching is strong for the Cubs, between Lilly, Dempster, and Zambrano I'd say they have a pretty good lineup. As for the Brewers, they'll have to rely more on their offense but Wolf and Gallardo aren't bad. I think the NL central features three teams over .500.

But regardless if the AL West features three .500 teams (I don't think they will), lets not forget they are a historically horrendous division.

I have lots of Seniority aedeos b.a.'s Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    The AL West had the best win percentage against teams outside of their division last year.

Yeah, the NL central might've been able to do it, but instead of just having to drag around the A's, the Central is weighed down by the Pirates, Astros, and Reds.

The funny thing is that when you consider the Ms and Rangers have never been to the World Series, the A's start to look less like the division's whipping boy.
    Last edited by Ike; 4/06/2010 at 8:30 pm. Reason: ADDED AN APOSTROPHE BECAUSE I KNOW JUST HOW MUCH AED WOULD LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE TO CALL ME ON THAT SHIT - FUCK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by gWiLiKeRzZz View Post
    I don't see repeat performances from guys like Affeldt, wilson or Medders who all are not good. so forget the pen being so good. Then the rotation will miss having Randy around even if he only pitched half a year last season. Cain and Timmy are great but the back end of that rotation is iffy. Plus they need to find ways to score runs when Pablo isn't up to bat. Now I think they should finish over .500 but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. The Giants are not that good
    Medders is no good... and he proved it last night. I'd rather have a guy like Runzler be put in the game in that situation.

Wilson is going to put guys on base, but he still closes out games with the best of them.

Affeldt is a stud. He dominated last season and I would not be surprised if he did again this season.

Are you serious about them missing Johnson? What did he do last season besides get the Giants all over ESPN when he was going for and got his 300th win... Yeah I'm sure he mentored the young pitchers a bit, but him being gone isn't going to make a difference at all. Timmy/Cain are excellent. Sanchez has shown signs of being a good starter, but is still developing. Mostly mental. Zito finished strong and so far today is doing well. I don't expect much from him, but he's not the kind of guy that's going to be absolutely horrible for the entire season.

As far as hitting goes, yes, Pablo is our best hitter. No we don't have another big bat. Huff and Derosa were good additions and should put up ok numbers, but they still need to go out and get a big bat that can hit in the clutch. Maybe they can steal someone away before the trade deadline. Rowand is god awful and needs to be traded or sent to the bench to create more playing time for guys like Bowker, Torres, Schierholtz, and Velez.

Please go back to rooting for the inferior bay area team and have fun trading away all of your players as soon as they become legit MLB players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Yeah, the NL central might've been able to do it, but instead of just having to drag around the A's, the Central is weighed down by the Pirates, Astros, and Reds.

The funny thing is that when you consider the Ms and Rangers have never been to the World Series, the A's start to look less like the division's whipping boy.
    So half the division being bad compared to a quarter being bad.....The NL Central is by far superior this year. The small division and the weighted schedule make it really competitive. I'm a Cards fan myself, and a good portion of my friends are either Cards or Cubs fans, hell even a couple Reds fans, so I'm pretty familiar with the two divisions.

The Rangers time will come. They have completely overhauled the team over the past few years. Starting pitching is no longer a glaring weakness. They are a very good defensive team at least in the infield. They have potential to score 800 runs this year. Throw in the best farm system in baseball for the past two season and there is more help on the way either from within or via trade. New owner is really the final piece allowing them to add some payroll after having to live under MLB control for a good portion of last year.

Rangers Magic Number- 160
    http://i.minus.com/irCo4CcM7v4Xh.jpg

Not a New Bitch
    I think in the AL West Seattle will dominate just because of King Felix, Cliff Lee and a revamped offense that can put pressure on you by running the bases well.

In the NL Central, I think they only teams that can compete are the Cards and the Reds, I think everyone else will be mediocre ultimately I think the playoffs will be:

AL: Seattle, Detroit, Yankees Wild Card: Boston
    NL: Cards, Phillies, San Fransisco Wild Card: Braves

I think when he started off he was very young and his inexperience led him to make some bad trades. We basically gave Adrian Gonzales and Chris Young up for Adam Eaton. Soriano netted us Brad Wilkerson. The Mark Teixera trade was an absolute fleecing of the Braves. Its scary to think of the team they would have right now if they kept all those prospects and added in Jason Heyward. We got Elvis Andrus, Jarrod Saltalamaccia, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison. All on our opening day roster. That trade right there was huge for the chemistry and building of this team.

Currently I can't think of any other GM I'd like to have more. He has Nolan Ryan to help him out and get some respect from some of the older GMs around the league. He has also done a great job of working on a tight budget. We will see how he does once the purse strings are loosened a bit later this month when Chuck Greenbverg takes over.
    The depth in the farm system is no secret, but I don't think most people realize the kind of talent that's coming up. The rule 5 is going to end up kicking our butt one of these days because we have all this talent and only so many spots to put it.
    Great points. I wasn't sure how Rangers fans were feeling about him. The whole moneyball/statistics based thing is starting to catch on in a few sports (Daryl Morey with Rockets). I love watching teams compete without bloated payrolls and bloated superstar egos and this method of managing teams tends to forego these two evils. If "sports are a business" as people love pointing out, why not run it cost-effectively and ahead of the curve. As long as they keep this approach I'm makin the Rangers my AL team.
    ex-CU CREW

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by totallytubularj View Post

Please go back to rooting for the inferior bay area team and have fun trading away all of your players as soon as they become legit MLB players.

Go ahead and keep routing for a team that has no world series championships in SF! The 3rd longest haven't won streak in the big leagues. You're kidding yourself if you really think Wilson closes with the best of them. Letting guys on base is a recipe for disaster. 7 blown saves only second to Lidge last season. Like I said I don't wanna sound like a hater. I route for the Giants when they aren't playing the A's, I just don't think they are THAT good. Rockies, Dodgers and Diamondbacks all are better. I am hoping the Giants prove me wrong I am watching Cain dominate the Astros right now

Go ahead and keep routing for a team that has no world series championships in SF! The 3rd longest haven't won streak in the big leagues. You're kidding yourself if you really think Wilson closes with the best of them. Letting guys on base is a recipe for disaster. 7 blown saves only second to Lidge last season. Like I said I don't wanna sound like a hater. I route for the Giants when they aren't playing the A's, I just don't think they are THAT good. Rockies, Dodgers and Diamondbacks all are better. I am hoping the Giants prove me wrong I am watching Cain dominate the Astros right now
    For starters, it's rooting. Secondly, the Diamondbacks areG not a better team than the Giants. No way. The Giants obviously have Lincecum an Cain as a 1-2 punch and on top of that they have a legit #3 starter in Sanchez who finished with 4 wins in a row last season. I also think Bumgarner will do big things for them. Then you have a guy like Buster Posey who will take over for Molina in the very near future which will provide a big bat and solid catcher for many years to come. And you can never forget Kung Fu Panda! I just think they have the right pieces to contend out West this year and for many years to come. As for Wilson, he's looked good so far in his 2 saves this season and I wouldn't be too worried about him letting guys on base seeing as his WHIP last year was like 1.20 while Papelbon's was 1.14 and K Rod's a 1.31. His K-BB ratio was just fine too. Yeah, 7 blown saves is pretty brutal but he's got the right stuff and I think he'll do just fine this year. All in all, the NL sucks and go Tigers. Alright, the NL doesn't suck..but go Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by phen843 View Post
    I think in the AL West Seattle will dominate just because of King Felix, Cliff Lee and a revamped offense that can put pressure on you by running the bases well.

In the NL Central, I think they only teams that can compete are the Cards and the Reds, I think everyone else will be mediocre ultimately I think the playoffs will be:

AL: Seattle, Detroit, Yankees Wild Card: Boston
    NL: Cards, Phillies, San Fransisco Wild Card: Braves

Mariners won't "dominate". I'm picking them to win, but I don't think they will "dominate" by any means. You think the Reds are more of a contender than say, the Brewers? Even the Cubs for that matter..Cubs suck IMO though. Anyways, the Brewers have some garbage arms, but the Reds offense is just awful. 29th in team batting average, 26th in total bases, 27th in slugging, 28th in OBP...do I need to continue listing the numbers from last year? I just don't know how you can call them a contending team when they haven't finished above .500 since 2000 and the only offseason move they made was signing an unproven 22 year old Aroldis Chapman.

Tigers will win it I hope, but it's going to come down to the wire. I see you're from Canton so I'm guessing thats why you picked them without explanation haha. I'm originally from Canton but now representing Westland. Westland > Canton > Livonia. Go Tigers.

Entense Supporter

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dork View Post
    I was cracking up when i was watching the game then all of a sudden the announcer told everyone to put there snuggie on and then the whole stadium was covered in snuggies. It was a sight to see thats forsure

Learn how to spell.

Wilson only has 2 years as a closer under his belt.. He's still a younger guy and has plenty of upside still. He worked a lot this off season on a curve ball that looked pretty good in spring training. Only going to help him get better.

Affeldt threw great yesterday.

Giants are 3-0

Perfectly ok with everyone underestimating the Giants this season.. I see them getting into the playoffs and doing well. Who's going to want to face that starting rotation in a playoff series?

Saying that all 3 of those teams are better than them is just flat out ignorant..

I'm going to the Giants game on the 23rd and getting myself one of these:

Entense Supporter

Wait what

I know its the start of the season but really...comon west lets turn this around lol

Not a New Bitch
    The Reds have a line up with jay bruce, votto, brandon phillips and they added orlando cabrera, i think that will be a lot better, and as for the brewers they have a decent offense, one good starter and I could probably make their bullpen, the brewers will be around .500 but with no staff i don't think they can compete. And the cubs just suck.

As for the Tigers I think we can compete because of pitching, Verlander and Porcello will be good, Bonderman will be ok, Willis will suck, and Scherzer is the key, he pitched well last night but i wont get too excited till he strings some together. Our lineup isn't amazing but it looks like Austin Jackson isn't going to embarrass himself and Magglio looks like he's held a bat before. So we'll see but it isn't a great division so anything can happen

Quote Originally Posted by phen843 View Post
    The Reds have a line up with jay bruce, votto, brandon phillips and they added orlando cabrera, i think that will be a lot better, and as for the brewers they have a decent offense, one good starter and I could probably make their bullpen, the brewers will be around .500 but with no staff i don't think they can compete. And the cubs just suck.

As for the Tigers I think we can compete because of pitching, Verlander and Porcello will be good, Bonderman will be ok, Willis will suck, and Scherzer is the key, he pitched well last night but i wont get too excited till he strings some together. Our lineup isn't amazing but it looks like Austin Jackson isn't going to embarrass himself and Magglio looks like he's held a bat before. So we'll see but it isn't a great division so anything can happen
    I still don't see how you can call the Reds a contender AT ALL. Did you not see the numbers I posted regarding their MLB team rankings in batting last season? Is Cabrera and his .275/.322/.398/.720 going to magically make them an offensive team? As for Bruce, ha, I'm not sold. In 766 MLB at bats, he has only managed to draw 71 walks while striking out 187 times and carries a .239 avg. Votto and Phillips are solid, I'll give them that..but that's about all they have. Arroyo is going to give them 14 wins most likely and other than that the entire pitching staff is a question mark. I'm not even arguing FOR the Brewers by the way, by now I'm just arguing against the Reds because calling them a contender at this point is absolutely ridiculous.

"Bonderman will be ok, Willis will suck..." -- 'cause that makes sense. Besides his walks in spring training (of course), Willis looked a hell of a lot better than Bondo. Bondo let up something like 20 hits in 13 innings and had a 6.something ERA. They're both head cases and they both have no done anything in the league in the past 3-4 seasons. You lack so much statistical education it's ridiculous and you're knowledge of your hometown team blows. Period.