User Tag List

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 923

Thread: [MLB] Official 2010 Season Thread

  1. #81
    Holy shit I rule! Ike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    st louis
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,173
    Points
    27 (163,575 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by totallytubularj View Post
    Learn how to spell.
    http://outofbounds.nbcsports.com/201...iants.html.php

    Your team needs to learn how to spell.

  2. #82
    gWiLLy style gWiLiKeRzZz's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The most exciting city in America
    Posts
    12,457
    Points
    5,913 (3,254,079 Banked)
    Even though I have seen teams beat the big 3 of Hudson Mulder and Zito in the playoffs I will still say no one wants to face the Giants pitching staff in a playoff series. Especially in a 5 game series. They could do very well in the playoffs if they reach the playoffs.

    I don't think the Dodgers, Diamondbacks or Rockies are much better than the Giants but I like their offenses so much more. The Diamondbacks are a reach I'll give you that but I think they have a great 1-2 punch in their rotation just like the Giants. If their defense can hold up they will be great, they can score a ton of runs. We'll see if Vasquez can be even better in that pen which needs to improve.

    All the teams in the NL west are good which is a real turn around from just 2 seasons ago, when the Dodgers won the division winning 84 games.

  3. #83
    New Bitch
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria, B.C
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Giants have something this year for sure.
    Even though Zito got to make his debut against one of the worst scoring teams in the MLB this year, for the first time since he has been in SF, you may be able to expect an ERA under 3.50 all season and 15-17 wins. If it goes that way, that's extra wins from his token "10" a year, that you didn't expect and would make a a big difference if he remains a #3 or 4 in that rotation.

    As for Brian Wilson, he is improving every year and 7 blown saves is not something to lose sleep over when your ERA is around 2.50. The Giants didn't score as many runs as say Boston (where Pabelbon had three blown saves, but almost 250 more runs from his team, when he came into the 9th). So if the Giants get more runs from their bats this year, those blown saves will shrink.

    The NL West hasn't had a "very good, dominating" regular season team in many years, the last possible one was in fact the Giants in 2002 or 03 when they made the World Series. And I think this year will be like years past, where its a tight race between decent teams, but the Giants have the fewest flaws on paper to start the season.

  4. #84
    Not a New Bitch
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    canton
    Posts
    53
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsicolaFLA View Post
    I still don't see how you can call the Reds a contender AT ALL. Did you not see the numbers I posted regarding their MLB team rankings in batting last season? Is Cabrera and his .275/.322/.398/.720 going to magically make them an offensive team? As for Bruce, ha, I'm not sold. In 766 MLB at bats, he has only managed to draw 71 walks while striking out 187 times and carries a .239 avg. Votto and Phillips are solid, I'll give them that..but that's about all they have. Arroyo is going to give them 14 wins most likely and other than that the entire pitching staff is a question mark. I'm not even arguing FOR the Brewers by the way, by now I'm just arguing against the Reds because calling them a contender at this point is absolutely ridiculous.

    "Bonderman will be ok, Willis will suck..." -- 'cause that makes sense. Besides his walks in spring training (of course), Willis looked a hell of a lot better than Bondo. Bondo let up something like 20 hits in 13 innings and had a 6.something ERA. They're both head cases and they both have no done anything in the league in the past 3-4 seasons. You lack so much statistical education it's ridiculous and you're knowledge of your hometown team blows. Period.
    I'm glad you know how to look up stats on mlb.com and are now so desperate you need to get stats from fake baseball. Did you ever thing if everyone in your divison sucks, you can compete just by beating them? It's the NL you don't need to be a dominate team to contend. Yes, I think Bruce is getting better and Votto is coming into his own, and cabrera was always a pain in the ass to get out in clutch situations with the twins and he is still a decent defensive player. As for their staff, I think Cueto will be better and could win 13-15 games, Harang had a good outing on opening day, and he's someone who could be very good or bad, their season depends on him, but in a division where everyone sucks, I don't think you can count out anyone so I picked the Reds, and I think they can beat up on the Central enough to snag a wild card spot in the NL you only need about 88 games.

    And I kept my answer short with my team, if you'd like my full analysis, I think Dontrelle is a train wreck, I don't care how well he pitched today because he was still getting behind batters too many times, and I think in the end our fifth starter will be either figuro or galaraga. I wish we hadn't traded Nate because I think he pitched the best of the 3 but Dave Dumbass traded him. As for Bonderman, I think he has the stuff to be able to get better, and Rick Knapp is a good pitching coach so i feel that will help, besides last year he sucked after coming back from a blood clot and he's never been good in the spring because he's always trying to develop a 3rd pitch. I still think our top three pitchers will be good to great. The top of our lineup is looking good, Austin Jackson is really impressing me, Magglio is finally hitting and Miggy is showing that he can be someone who can carry a team on it's back and I think he'll get a lot of votes for MVP. I think the tigers can win because I don't think either the white sox or twins can run away with the division since joe nathan went down.

  5. #85
    Pimpin Member stizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    821
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    go giants. swept the first series, can't wait to see em demolish the braves.

  6. #86
    Not a New Bitch pepsicolaFLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    pensacola, florida
    Age
    28
    Posts
    40
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by phen843 View Post
    I'm glad you know how to look up stats on mlb.com and are now so desperate you need to get stats from fake baseball. Did you ever thing if everyone in your divison sucks, you can compete just by beating them? It's the NL you don't need to be a dominate team to contend. Yes, I think Bruce is getting better and Votto is coming into his own, and cabrera was always a pain in the ass to get out in clutch situations with the twins and he is still a decent defensive player. As for their staff, I think Cueto will be better and could win 13-15 games, Harang had a good outing on opening day, and he's someone who could be very good or bad, their season depends on him, but in a division where everyone sucks, I don't think you can count out anyone so I picked the Reds, and I think they can beat up on the Central enough to snag a wild card spot in the NL you only need about 88 games.

    And I kept my answer short with my team, if you'd like my full analysis, I think Dontrelle is a train wreck, I don't care how well he pitched today because he was still getting behind batters too many times, and I think in the end our fifth starter will be either figuro or galaraga. I wish we hadn't traded Nate because I think he pitched the best of the 3 but Dave Dumbass traded him. As for Bonderman, I think he has the stuff to be able to get better, and Rick Knapp is a good pitching coach so i feel that will help, besides last year he sucked after coming back from a blood clot and he's never been good in the spring because he's always trying to develop a 3rd pitch. I still think our top three pitchers will be good to great. The top of our lineup is looking good, Austin Jackson is really impressing me, Magglio is finally hitting and Miggy is showing that he can be someone who can carry a team on it's back and I think he'll get a lot of votes for MVP. I think the tigers can win because I don't think either the white sox or twins can run away with the division since joe nathan went down.
    I can't wait to come back to this debate at the end of the season when the Reds are sitting on a below .500 record and 3rd or 4th place finish in the Central. Only thing I'll ask/say about the Reds is what opening day were you watching, or how low standards for a "good outing"?

    Tigers, I'm not even wasting my time because I'm too tired and would write for days.

    Which summer team did you play for in the Detroit area?

    PS. Who uses MLB.com for stats? Baseball America 2010 Almanac ftw.

  7. #87
    Someone posts A LOT Billy@Brooklyn's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,041
    Points
    1 (1,089,796 Banked)
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5066650

    umpire joe west is fucking dumb, thats what u expect when the yankees play the red sox, long ass games.

  8. #88
    Pimpin Member Mystic's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    So. Cal
    Age
    33
    Posts
    889
    Points
    1 (653,226 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy@Brooklyn View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5066650

    umpire joe west is fucking dumb, thats what u expect when the yankees play the red sox, long ass games.
    I dont agree with the harsh words that joe west used but I agree they need to pick up the pace. They shouldnt always be rewarded with time outs just because they ask for it. Its a step in the right direction and hopefully it will be enforced around the leauge.

  9. #89
    I have lots of Seniority aedeos b.a.'s Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    washington
    Age
    32
    Posts
    132,475
    Points
    30 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy@Brooklyn View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5066650

    umpire joe west is fucking dumb, thats what u expect when the yankees play the red sox, long ass games.
    And it's dumb. Play faster.

  10. #90
    Bad-ass Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Coast
    Age
    31
    Posts
    604
    Points
    2 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by AED View Post
    And it's dumb. Play faster.
    I'm biased - I'm a Yankee fan and I live in Boston; I'm in the midst of the rivalry. I think it's the nature of the beast when you have those two teams. The Sox for years were built on OBP, working counts, getting on base. The Yankees last year saw 3.88 pitches per player, which was Top-5 in the MLB. When you have teams together like this, they're going to make pitchers work, get counts to 3-2. Hell, Nick Swisher saw over 20% of his ABs go to 3-2 last year. The game's going to be longer when you have players like Swisher, Johnson, Youkilis, etc. working counts. Joe West said it was a "disgrace" that the two best teams are "playing the slowest." That's how they're the best, they make the opposing team work instead of chasing balls outside of the zone.

    At the same time, I would agree that some of the stall tactics take too long. Last year in the playoffs, the Yankees had all of those pitcher-catcher conferences which just eats up time. At that stage, communication needs to be better.

    By the way - another way to speed up the game is ensuring the umpires call strikes consistently:

    http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives...get-this-crap/

  11. #91
    New Bitch
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria, B.C
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    If Joe West is bent, he is in charge at the time, deal with it then, instead of venting after the fact.

    Its known around the league, that if a player is totally wasting time at the plate, an ump will in large the strike zone to some extent, to get that players attention. To pretty much say, pick up the pace. On top of other ways, such as breaking up mound visits right away.

    If your just going to act pissed and not deal with it to the fullest then, your kinda provoking it IMO

    Yes the games can be slow, but the MLB is the one that has decided this. Fans want their moneys worth, owners want the fans there as long as they can, to buy more booze and food and tv wants more adds. All of that is out of the umps hands, but he does have some control, use it and know your doing your job and cash your cheque.

  12. #92
    I have lots of Seniority jcLarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NY
    Age
    27
    Posts
    25,833
    Points
    991 (2,609,866 Banked)
    Joe West is right, the Yankees and Red Sox play extremely slow, but honestly he shouldn't have said anything.

    As most of you know I am a Yanks fan, and I absolutely dread playing the Sox for one reason...time. But hey people love it no matter how slow the game is. What do you expect, both teams have great starters and great lineups. Both teams work the shit out of the opposing pitch, just look at Lackey the other night who was on fire but had 100 pitches through 6 innings.

    With both teams working the opposing starter and then having who evers bullpen shits the bed less wins your going to have a long game. Rivalry attracts fans but it also attracts a lot of strategy and moves.
    swag

  13. #93
    Holy shit I rule! Ike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    st louis
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,173
    Points
    27 (163,575 Banked)
    Not all of this is the players fault. TV timeouts are a huge onus. The Cardinals opening day was broadcast on a local station in MO, and on ESPN nationally. In the second inning, Chris Carpenter finished his warm ups but an ESPN official ran out and told him he needs to wait another 45 seconds before he starts pitching.

    Anyway, he threw a bitch fit and since the umpires don't officiate TV timeouts, they let him start pitching right away. If you watched the game on ESPN, they cut back to it halfway through the leadoff AB.

    But I hate hearing Yank/Sox fans brag about how their stadiums have less ads than the rest (I heard this isn't true for the new Yankees stadium), but if you're going to only sell your TV rights in exchange for 2 minutes of advertising per break in play, your team really isn't protecting "the sanctity of the game," as so many Sox/Yankees fans claim. Instead they've just found a way to elongate and water down baseball.

    But lastly, who gives a fuck about the Yankees vs. Red Sox? Cubs vs. Cardinals is where it's at.

  14. #94
    Holy shit I rule! Ike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    st louis
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,173
    Points
    27 (163,575 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra9769 View Post
    That's how they're the best, they make the opposing team work instead of chasing balls outside of the zone.
    You have got to be shitting me....

    You should tell Cashman that instead of setting fire to a pile of money every offseason, he should just find guys that work the count! You may have just saved the Yankees 200 million dollars!

    the Cardinals have two guys that rank in the top five in all of baseball in fewest strikeouts. The first being Yadier Molina (fewest K/AB in all of baseball, hit .298 last year and he's slower than molasses) and Pujols (third on the list). Somehow our games go very quickly.

    But before you go claiming you have an entire roster of patient hitters, lets look at Nick Swisher. 20% of his ABS go to 3-2, as you claim. 25% of them end in a strikeout, he may look at a lot of pitches but I wouldn't call him patient or disciplined. A Rod, your teams best hitter, takes a K in one in every five ABs. It's safe to say that the Yankees/Sox series taking so long is not a result of their plate discipline. Both of these guys DEFINITELY chase balls outside of the zone.

  15. #95
    Mod Sass dork's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    illinois
    Age
    30
    Posts
    51,013
    Points
    1,115 (1,363,503 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Not all of this is the players fault. TV timeouts are a huge onus. The Cardinals opening day was broadcast on a local station in MO, and on ESPN nationally. In the second inning, Chris Carpenter finished his warm ups but an ESPN official ran out and told him he needs to wait another 45 seconds before he starts pitching.

    Anyway, he threw a bitch fit and since the umpires don't officiate TV timeouts, they let him start pitching right away. If you watched the game on ESPN, they cut back to it halfway through the leadoff AB.

    But I hate hearing Yank/Sox fans brag about how their stadiums have less ads than the rest (I heard this isn't true for the new Yankees stadium), but if you're going to only sell your TV rights in exchange for 2 minutes of advertising per break in play, your team really isn't protecting "the sanctity of the game," as so many Sox/Yankees fans claim. Instead they've just found a way to elongate and water down baseball.

    But lastly, who gives a fuck about the Yankees vs. Red Sox? Cubs vs. Cardinals is where it's at.
    agreed..about the cubs vs cardinals part

    I like joe west. But I also dont mind seeing a long baseball game..as long as its not just long because of timeouts and 15 second rituals before stepping into the box. That thing on espn where they compared jeter stepping into the box to cup stacking was hillarious.

  16. #96
    gWiLLy style gWiLiKeRzZz's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The most exciting city in America
    Posts
    12,457
    Points
    5,913 (3,254,079 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    You have got to be shitting me....
    Nick Swisher. 20% of his ABS go to 3-2, as you claim. 25% of them end in a strikeout, he may look at a lot of pitches but I wouldn't call him patient or disciplined. .

    Swish is a very Patient hitter. Disciplined as well. He hardly ever goes out of the strike zone to swing at pitches. He strikes out at that rate because he can't hit. He swings and misses and strikes all the time. But is he patient? yes, extremely patient.

  17. #97
    Go Rangers nickbahhh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,533
    Points
    142 (78,801 Banked)
    I hated when Vicente Padilla would pitch for the Rangers. Guy was like watching paint dry.
    http://i.minus.com/irCo4CcM7v4Xh.jpg

  18. #98
    Not a New Bitch pepsicolaFLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    pensacola, florida
    Age
    28
    Posts
    40
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbahhh View Post
    I hated when Vicente Padilla would pitch for the Rangers. Guy was like watching paint dry.
    hahah QFT

  19. #99
    Mod Sass dork's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    illinois
    Age
    30
    Posts
    51,013
    Points
    1,115 (1,363,503 Banked)
    lol there is a poll on sportsnation

    "Which is a bigger problem for baseball"

    Attitudes of Umpires
    Pace of Play
    Neither is a problem

    every state voted pace of play except 2 states. guess which ones. these 2 states happened to vote for attitudes of umpires lol

    (i voted neither)

  20. #100
    Holy shit I rule! Ike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    st louis
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,173
    Points
    27 (163,575 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by gWiLiKeRzZz View Post
    He strikes out at that rate because he can't hit. He swings and misses and strikes all the time. But is he patient? yes, extremely patient.
    He does draw a lot of walks, but I can't call someone who strikes out on pitches thrown in the zone a disciplined hitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by nickbahhh View Post
    I hated when Vicente Padilla would pitch for the Rangers. Guy was like watching paint dry.
    I remember watching Julian Tavarez in relief back when he was a Cardinal. He would take forever in between pitches. One time he brought his arm back and held it there for fifteen full seconds. That guy was a nutcase, but I remember the announcer said he had better pick up the pace or else pidgeons were going start perching on him.
    Last edited by Ike; 4/09/2010 at 4:32 pm. Reason: fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •