User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine Drinkers?

.....MN.....ŏ̾ͮ͊͛ͫͪ̓̈́̇͏̛̻̦̙̝̩̀ͅ ŏ̾ͮ͊͛ͫͪ̓̈́̇͏̛̻̦̙̝̩̀
    now i want some wine but im too broke to try something nice.
    maybe a 5 liter of franzia and sprite for $10 is in store for tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    yes. it's always when i'm really drunk and i always wake up wondering how i went from nate the 6 year old who covered his glass when someone farted so no fart germs got into his milk to nate the alcoholic butt licker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    he's fucking with the wrong bull. ever since i found out he was coming over here i've just been sitting and getting madder and drunker

Page 420 - Fuck Im Blazed Crew

Entensity Vet
    Other cheap wines that aren't bad...

Little Penguin
    Smoking Loon
    Yellowtail
    If you can find it, Red Guitar is a nice red.

Good suggestion might be go to your local liquor store and just browse. You can find some good wines just by browsing the stacks. There's so many wines out there that are pretty tasty just waiting to be discovered. Browse labels...some will be real classy, others won't be and will have ridiculous names, but some of those wines are really good.

It's like beer - you might buy a bad one every once and a while, but don't fret. You might just find a few vineyards doing really fun things with wine.

I have lots of Seniority ArcAngel9's Avatar
    Im drinking this Pinot right now and I really dont like it. At first it doesnt taste like anything and then the taste that it does have isnt very good. Ive had some Blushes before and I liked them, Im going back home for the weekend and there are wineries all over the place, Ill have to pick some stuff up from there.

My Flickr EF First Name Crew

I'm starting to post backdoorsluts9's Avatar
    interesting thread thanks.

can anyone give a decent tutorial to drinking wine? I too don't know shit about the proper way to enjoy one and really would like to know

also, one time my friend was drinking a white wine and another one says are you suppose to swirl whites?...well are you?

Entense Supporter
    Well, you DO swirl wines but that's mostly to release a bouquet for smelling the wine (which comes immediately after swirling).

Here's a quick tutorial:

Pour your wine, maybe a 1/4 of the glass or so. General rule of thumb is Red wines at room temp and white wines chilled.
    Look at it in direct light and nondirect light. What does it look like? What colors do you see?
    Swirl your glass gently and then get your nose into the wine. What smells do you detect?
    Taste!
    Take in a bit and use your preferred method of spreading the taste across your palate. My favorite is smacking my tongue.
    Describe the taste with any adjectives you can find. Woody, fruity, floral, peppery, etc.
    How does it feel in your mouth? Dry or not?
    Look at your glass again, does the wine leave a sort of lace with beading?
    Repeat

This is just a quick 2 minute type up and not a definitive guide by any means. You'll find your own way I'm sure.

I'm not a big wine drinker, but when I do drink it I prefer most Pino Noirs.

Also, I've wanted to try Maynard's (from Tool) wines.

Here's one:

https://vino.caduceus.org/product_in...products_id=73

Quote Originally Posted by MechAnt View Post
    General rule of thumb is Red wines at room temp and white wines chilled.
    The best thing you can do is put your reds in the fridge 15 minutes before opening them and take whites out of the fridge 20 minutes before opening.

Most people drink reds too hot and whites too cold. At too high of serving temperature and the reds subtle flavors are masked by alcohol. On the other end of the spectrum a lot of people drink whites right out of the fridge which masks flavors.

Most reds are ment to be enjoyed at cellar temperature, not room temperature. Technically Cabs, Zins, Pinots all have different optimum serving temp but non of them are todays room temperatures (70-75). Reds range from 65-66 for vintage ports to 55-54 for Beaujolais. Whites do the same thing: Viognier wants a much warmer temp (54-53) compared to a Riesling or champagne (46-45).

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

BANNED
    delicious red wine, they call me a whino

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoxygen View Post
    The best thing you can do is put your reds in the fridge 15 minutes before opening them and take whites out of the fridge 20 minutes before opening.

Most people drink reds too hot and whites too cold. At too high of serving temperature and the reds subtle flavors are masked by alcohol. On the other end of the spectrum a lot of people drink whites right out of the fridge which masks flavors.

Most reds are ment to be enjoyed at cellar temperature, not room temperature. Technically Cabs, Zins, Pinots all have different optimum serving temp but non of them are todays room temperatures (70-75). Reds range from 65-66 for vintage ports to 55-54 for Beaujolais. Whites do the same thing: Viognier wants a much warmer temp (54-53) compared to a Riesling or champagne (46-45).

zox really knows his wines.

enjoyed a nice malbec with a lady friend tonight. Light-medium in body, fairly fruity on the palate with a light dryness on the finish.

on a side note, my area has pretty mild weather so my typical ambient temps around this time is about 60-65 degrees. Summer doesnt exceed 80.
    Last edited by Mechant; 5/07/2010 at 4:02 am.

Quote Originally Posted by MechAnt View Post

on a side note, my area has pretty mild weather so my typical ambient temps around this time is about 60-65 degrees. Summer doesnt exceed 80.
    Well jesus, that just sounds beautiful.

pair it up with some softened garlic, brie, and a baguette... and your girlfriend will :O :O at how amazing you are

harris0n sux

Quote Originally Posted by mknawabi View Post
    pair it up with some softened garlic, brie, and a baguette... and your girlfriend will :O :O at how amazing you are
    some beautiful flavored oils and a great baguette and a bottle of wine...dinner of champions

the best part about wine is how quick it can get you tanked

who wants to drink beer for 4 hours and not get drunk? not me
    ________ / \
    ____ _/__\_

Pimpin Member
    I'm not a wine pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll throw in my perspective:

If you're looking to get into red wines, I would try out a Merlot first. In my experience, they've generally been less complex on the tongue (as in, no spiciness or weird stuff happening) and they go down pretty smoothly. I would avoid Cabernet Suavignon early on; as I understand it, those grapes are a bit more fickle and sometimes it ends up being a bit harsh in the back of your mouth. Shiraz tends to be more on the spicy side. If you like feeling a party on your tongue, I think Shiraz would be a pretty good red for that.

As a fellow college student, I like cost-effectiveness. If you're going to go with a boxed wine, I would try out Black Box. I've been teeing off on boxes of Black Box Carbernet Suavignon, and that was okayish. What I've really been enjoying is their Merlot, though. It's been hitting the spot pretty well.

As for nice and cheap bottled wines... generally, I've been happy with Yellowtail and Barefoot. I think I've also had luck with.... er, I think it's Crystal Peak (or maybe it's Crystal Geyser) on their white wine. It might have been a Pinot Grigio.

Unfortunately, wine is one of those things where you have to basically try out a lot of stuff to find out what you truly like. If you live near a Cost Plus World Market, I would try hitting them up periodically and picking 6 bottles near the front of the store and in the back that are on-sale. The wines that they have on-sale are anywhere from $3.50 to maybe $12, and stores generally give you a 10% discount on your wine purchase when you buy at least 6 bottles at once.

Some elitist bastard might call you a cheap bastard for spending so much on cheap wine, but you really have no business spending more than you should when you're still trying to discover your palette. And, a lot of cheap wines actually taste pretty good (maybe because I'm an uncultured smuck). Just because a bottle of wine is expensive doesn't mean that it'll automatically taste good to you, so I would start teeing off at the lowest bidder.

Er, don't buy wine coolers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    Shiraz tends to be more on the spicy side. If you like feeling a party on your tongue, I think Shiraz would be a pretty good red for that.

Just to throw a quick tid bit in here. While Syrah and Shiraz are the same grape the name usually tells you how it is made. Syrah is usually the spicy one where Shiraz most often is a fruit bomb.

Syrah is how the french spell/make it and in turn most California wineries follow that same style. usually fairly peppery, oaky, dry tabacco flavors.

Shiraz is the new world spelling mainly found in Australia, NZ and some parts of Cali. Its a very fruit forward style, sometimes jammy, rarely spicing but sometimes there is some pepper in there.

When I go for a glass of Syrah/Shiraz, Shiraz is usually the style I go for.

oh ya, dude, try muscato. that is also one of my new faves. its pretty fucking good. not too sweet, with good fruit accents
    ________ / \
    ____ _/__\_

Pimpin Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoxygen View Post
    Just to throw a quick tid bit in here. While Syrah and Shiraz are the same grape the name usually tells you how it is made. Syrah is usually the spicy one where Shiraz most often is a fruit bomb.

Syrah is how the french spell/make it and in turn most California wineries follow that same style. usually fairly peppery, oaky, dry tabacco flavors.

Shiraz is the new world spelling mainly found in Australia, NZ and some parts of Cali. Its a very fruit forward style, sometimes jammy, rarely spicing but sometimes there is some pepper in there.

When I go for a glass of Syrah/Shiraz, Shiraz is usually the style I go for.
    You know, I've heard that distinction before, and you're right. I should add that, in most foods, I'm a pretty big pansy when it comes to spiciness and anything remotely close to pepper. Peppery is probably a better way to describe what I meant (but since I'm weak on spices, it's a fairly obvious sensation on my tongue). But yes, I've noticed that between Syrah and Shiraz, one has tended to have an obvious oak taste to it (which I love) and the pepper/spiciness varies too. I haven't really picked up on the tobacco, though; probably due to inexperience.

Entense Supporter
    Picked up a bottle of Bordeaux and Cotes Du Rhone from Trader Joe's. They are cheaper but I hear they are good. Ordered a wine rack for myself too. Can't wait to try these out

Nice, Which appellation in Bordeaux?

I have lots of Seniority ArcAngel9's Avatar
    Hmm maybe Ill grab a bottle of Shiraz next time I go to the liquor store.

My Flickr EF First Name Crew