User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine Drinkers?

I have lots of Seniority ArcAngel9's Avatar

Wine Drinkers?

Dont really know where else this topic would go so whatever

I myself know nothing about wine, not even in the least bit. My girlfriend has been telling me that she wants to get a bottle for ourselves and just spend the night on the rooftop deck I have but I need some suggestions. I myself have only drank wine a handful of times because its not really my thing. I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good tasting wine that is still affordable, I dont want to spend a shitload on something that Im probably not even going to like lol

EDIT: I also noticed some of you in a different thread talking about Penfolds Koonunga Hill, saying it was a good buy for the price so maybe Ill keep an eye out for that.
    Last edited by ArcAngel9; 4/06/2010 at 7:25 pm.
    My Flickr EF First Name Crew

Entense Supporter
    Wine really isn't that expensive. The standard "fine" restaurant sells bottles at 2x3 retail price, which explains why pa´sants think it's 2x3 more costly than it generally is. Fucking someliers. You could just pick up a ~$35 bottle at a liquor store and have a decent chance of making your girlfriend wet, but for someone just learning how to swish your glass around to properly let out oak aromas, maybe get into wine.woot.com.

Not a New Bitch
    First you should ask your girlfriend if she prefers white or red wine. If she doesnt care then you get to choose, on your preference. Barefoot is a pretty well known vineyard and relatively cheap but good wine nonetheless. If you want something that sounds fancy I like an Argentinian Malbec.

IIRC BareFoot's Shiraz got an award by WS for the best bottle under 10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

One of my favorite "economy" wines is a Shiraz/Viongier blend. They usually come out of Australia and are relatively cheap if you can find them (15ish).

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

Grand-High Poster
    Columbia Winery puts out some good stuff too for very cheap. Charles Shaw is also really fucking good (for being 2.99/bottle). Award winning value.

Quote Originally Posted by h4ppydaze View Post
    Columbia Winery puts out some good stuff too for very cheap. Charles Shaw is also really fucking good (for being 2.99/bottle). Award winning value.
    I see thats a Trader Joe's wine and I havent heard anything but good about it. The only thing is, the damn Trader Joe's here in Pittsburgh doesnt sell alcohol because of the stupid PA laws.

Thanks for all the other info though, Ill keep an eye out for the others.

Entense Supporter
    If you're on a tight budget, Barefoot is definitely the way to go as Zox recommended before.

BV Coastal's Cabernet goes for under $10 at most places and is quite excellent.

Entense Supporter
    Just grab a couple bottls of Arbor Mist, girls (especally fresh drinkers) love that stuff. Like 4-6 bucks a bottle I beleive. (Don't start a wine war, i'm just remembering what all the chicks drank around 15/16 yrs)

On an added note,

Maybe try and impress and make a quick and easy batch of sangria? Often times the best sangria is made with cheap ass wines, but you gotta splurge a little bit on the brandy (in my opinion of course) and like 2 dollars for fruit and shit.

There's also recipes involving no brandy and what not, so that can cut the cost down. Don't forget you can always get little shooters of brandy so you don't have to spend the money on a 5th or whatever

Someone posts A LOT thricecambria's Avatar
    I normally use wine for cooking vs drinking, but have been really pleased with the Barefoot winery. Very good to drink and cook with.
    Please Support the AK-47

iMacGyver

Quote Originally Posted by TriX View Post
    Just grab a couple bottls of Arbor Mist, girls (especally fresh drinkers) love that stuff. Like 4-6 bucks a bottle I beleive. (Don't start a wine war, i'm just remembering what all the chicks drank around 15/16 yrs)

On an added note,

Maybe try and impress and make a quick and easy batch of sangria? Often times the best sangria is made with cheap ass wines, but you gotta splurge a little bit on the brandy (in my opinion of course) and like 2 dollars for fruit and shit.

There's also recipes involving no brandy and what not, so that can cut the cost down. Don't forget you can always get little shooters of brandy so you don't have to spend the money on a 5th or whatever
    Sangria is great and the girls love it. I personally prefer the stuff with all the booze in it but be careful because it can be powerful stuff. Another option is Tinto de Verano which is the cheapest red wine you can find (Boxed stuff actually works better) and then some 7-UP and Ice. Its a great summer drink & very authentic http://kellycrull.com/food/tinto_de_verano/

I actually went and bought Pinto Grigio and some Pacific Rim. The PR was pretty good, havent opened the Pinot Grigio yet though.

Theres a really good Pinot Gris from Magnotta Wineries. Not sure if you can buy it in the US though. Not very expensive and nice soft taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcAngel9 View Post
    I actually went and bought Pinto Grigio and some Pacific Rim. The PR was pretty good, havent opened the Pinot Grigio yet though.
    Be careful, Pinto Grigios have a tendency to catch on fire. Just make sure you never hit the back and you should be ok.

Not a New Bitch kangstankfudang's Avatar
    i'm really glad you did not go with arbor mist! LOL

Daily Dose of Vitamin Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Shitrus's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    In a sewer with my hamster pal, but the sanitation workers really didn't approve so i packed my accordian and had to move to a city in ohio where i lived in a tree and i worked in a nasal decongestant factory and i play on the company bowling team
    Quote Originally Posted by ten View Post
    Be careful, Pinto Grigios have a tendency to catch on fire. Just make sure you never hit the back and you should be ok.
    hahahaahahahahahahhaa
    Quote Originally Posted by shibby View Post
    in after worthless attempt to refute shitrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    lolllll my man said condoms
    Quote Originally Posted by Nok View Post
    listen to citrus, nigga knows his shit

i cant stand any dry wines myself, so i normally stay away from most things red. you should try some sweet wines like reisling, gewurstameiner, or blush. i think we actually had a bottle of the PR reisling recently, but i dont remember if it was any good. oh, another thing, my wife recently went on this 'organic wine' kick, which i thought was pretty ridiculous, but i was wrong. normally i just see 'organic' shit as just repackaged 'regular' whatever. but apparently with wine, anything 'organic' cannot have extra sulfides added, which means there is less of a chance of a nasty wine headache, and it is usually alot smoother. as for what brands, you just have to shop around, there are alot of local wineries here in texas that have tons of good drinks, but i dont know if that is the case where you are.
    ________ / \
    ____ _/__\_

Quote Originally Posted by ofarrellnavy View Post
    gewurstameiner,
    Oh man one of my favs. I have a bottle chillin in my fridge right now

Entense Supporter
    It's nice to see everyone itt has varying tastes. Brings in different opinions.

Like, I prefer very dry wine, I can't do the sweet stuff.

Someone posts A LOT
    red truck is another great cheap wine, I have 4 bottle in the wine fridge now.