User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Knives?

Entense Supporter
    Anyone know much about Wüsthof?
    crew
    My FlickrCanon Crew: Canon 5D MkII, Canon 7D, Canon 5Dc, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Canon 580EXII, (2) Vivitar 285HV

They are good, but I like Henckels better.
    EFCrew

Entense Supporter
    Wusthof is excellent. Competitor with Henckels.

Henckels Pro S or bust!!!

MAC knives are where its at. French profile with Japanese steel.

I also have a 1940's elephant sabatier carbon steel chefs. That thing is amazing.

I just picked up:

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

I have a wusthof set. I think I may have posted it in here somewhere. I like them. I'v always used a 6 inch blade, now Im using the 8 inch and Im just not used to it. Other then that (which is user) they are great.
    I'v looked at some henckels and I havent been real impressed. Alot dont have the steel running through the handle, and the steak knives looked/felt flimsy. I dont know, they might be great and Im just picky, or everything I have handled may have been a lower line.

zoxygen, did you order yours directly from http://japanesechefsknife.com ? How did it all go? Pictures of the steel/handle please..

I may get another chefs knife, likely Japanese...I might pick one up when Im in Japan in may or whenever I end up there.
    i like boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by pachood View Post
    I have a wusthof set. I think I may have posted it in here somewhere. I like them. I'v always used a 6 inch blade, now Im using the 8 inch and Im just not used to it. Other then that (which is user) they are great.
    I'v looked at some henckels and I havent been real impressed. Alot dont have the steel running through the handle, and the steak knives looked/felt flimsy. I dont know, they might be great and Im just picky, or everything I have handled may have been a lower line.

zoxygen, did you order yours directly from http://japanesechefsknife.com ? How did it all go? Pictures of the steel/handle please..

I may get another chefs knife, likely Japanese...I might pick one up when Im in Japan in may or whenever I end up there.
    Only their really cheap ones don't have the full tang. The pro S definitely do.

Yep. Henckels does put out some lower quality knife sets.. but their shittiness is expected for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by pachood View Post

I've heard alot of good things about Japanesechefsknife.com sadly though they dont sell MAC knives. I did get my stone from them though. All went smoothly.

These are the knives I have : http://www.macknife.com/professional.html

I chose MAC because its a french profile (closer the japanese profile than german) but still made with japanese forgings. Since I'm lefty I needed a European edge (50/50 bias) where Japanese edges have anywhere between 60/40 to 90/10 righty bias. They are also more stout than most jap blades but thinner then most euro blades.

The 50/50 bias thing was the most important though because of the lefty issue.

I've tried alot though. There are alot of good japanese knives out there but there are also an equal amount of over priced knives selling just because they have japanese writing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

as jazzed up as this thread got me to drop over $300 on knives I don't think I should while living with multiple roommates who more or less don't give a crap about treating my knives well. so i will probably just go with a Ginsu Chikara set like http://www.amazon.com/Ginsu-7112-Chi.../dp/B0011TRO80 until I move out then I can upgrade a knife at a timeee. just sucks to not have a bread knife but i figured a santoku will probably get the job done

Quote Originally Posted by Speede View Post
    as jazzed up as this thread got me to drop over $300 on knives I don't think I should while living with multiple roommates who more or less don't give a crap about treating my knives well. so i will probably just go with a Ginsu Chikara set like http://www.amazon.com/Ginsu-7112-Chi.../dp/B0011TRO80 until I move out then I can upgrade a knife at a timeee. just sucks to not have a bread knife but i figured a santoku will probably get the job done
    Yeah. You will quickly realize how much you can freak out when you see someone treat your really nice knives/cookware like shit. When my father-in-law was in town and he was in the kitchen checking drawers for a screwdriver and I saw him pull out a knife out of my block I about lost it. I stopped him pretty quickly, but the idea is that other people typically don't care about your nice stuff as much as you do.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ten View Post
    Yeah. You will quickly realize how much you can freak out when you see someone treat your really nice knives/cookware like shit. When my father-in-law was in town and he was in the kitchen checking drawers for a screwdriver and I saw him pull out a knife out of my block I about lost it. I stopped him pretty quickly, but the idea is that other people typically don't care about your nice stuff as much as you do.
    omfg do i know what you mean. I don't let my roommates even touch my Anolon. You should see me when I see my sisters treating my Mom's Henckles Professional S's like cutco knives

Elite Member
    just got my 7 inch santoku delivered today.. this shun feels a lot smoother than my wusthof

Last edited by octane7; 12/21/2010 at 6:39 pm.

Somewhat Poster
    Entense Supporter
    Some nice looking knives, I personally like Henckle over Wust, but for work I picked up one of these. Super cheap and simple, but razor sharp and it gets the job done.

I didn't want to have to worry about bringing my expensive knives to work everyday and them getting tossed around in the kitchen by retards. I figured this was a safer bet and this way I can sleep at night. I'd definitely recommend this to someone who is on a budget. They make them in 8' too if 10" is too long for you.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

How much was your shun and where did you buy it octane?
    EFCrew

Grand-High Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Purps View Post
    Some nice looking knives, I personally like Henckle over Wust, but for work I picked up one of these. Super cheap and simple, but razor sharp and it gets the job done.

I didn't want to have to worry about bringing my expensive knives to work everyday and them getting tossed around in the kitchen by retards. I figured this was a safer bet and this way I can sleep at night. I'd definitely recommend this to someone who is on a budget. They make them in 8' too if 10" is too long for you.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
    victorinox stamped blades are money.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tach View Post
    How much was your shun and where did you buy it octane?
    I bought it on Amazon for approx $130. Fortunately no tax or shipping on it as well.

Entense Supporter
    I was planning on getting a shun after the new year,

but looks like Purps has convinced me on something else for work (8 in. tho).

How solid/connected does the blade and handle feel?

Only thing I'm not sure about it is if it has that "Emeril" Wusthof feel (ie Decent blade/feels cheap)

Then again it's 30 dollars.

Somewhat Poster
    Entense Supporter
    Victorinox blades are well worth the money. I have a 10" for work and a 8" spare for home. Gets the job done greatIts lightweight and feel super sturdy. The only drawback is if you're used to or like a really heavy blade and handle. I personally prefer it light so I can move and chop quick.

AS for that "emeril" feel, I think I know what you're talking about. I bought a cheap set of henckles at target once and all the blades felt really thin and weak and well cheap. These blades aren't like that at all. But then again they don't have that super heavy forged metal feel either.

About 6 months ago I got a Century, for about $50, pretty good. Half the price of the best, a little heavier the way I like, and super sharp. Its still pretty damn sharp after this long, I've used it at home and work, and I've never sharpened it or taken a steel to it yet.

I have a henckels chefs knife I love but I'm thinking about investing in a nice santoku. I've found nothing beats it for chopping vegetables...