User Tag List

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Android Thread

Entense Supporter
    I was accepted into the SwiftKey beta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHrTT0XAPJg

I'll attach the latest beta file.

Rename the file to .apk and install on your phone.

I actually like it a lot. It scans your SMS messages and learns how you type. And it does a very good job at guessing which word you're typing. And I also like how it doesn't change the way you have to type. It works just like the normal Android keyboard, but includes the guesses at the top to help you out and allow you to type much faster.

edit: awesome, it works with the hardware keyboard on the droid too.
    Last edited by vernSL; 5/19/2010 at 1:35 pm.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM720 View Post
    Like what? Have you rebooted?
    sometimes my camera wont load, it auto closes (not a force close) my phone sometimes wont have sound when im trying to make a phone call. the only thing that seems to fix this issue is to turn my phone off then back on. that's all i remember

Entense Supporter
    try factory resetting it.

Will swiftkey work with ThickButtons? That'd be awesome, though I still use my hard keyboard on my G1 for most text entry

Entense Supporter
    from engadget

Sure sure, Froyo is great and all, but Google just blew our minds with two previews of upcoming Android features at I/O: OTA application installation and remote music streaming. OTA installation is just as simple as you'd expect -- after browsing to an app on your desktop, you can push it to your phone and install it with just a single click, all done over the air. Interestingly, Google also showed music being purchased and transferred from Android Marketplace in the same way, which could indicate a deeper push towards music integration, or just be a nice demo. Either way, it's pretty slick stuff -- the fewer wires we have to carry, the better.

The remote music streaming is a little crazier: Google bought a company called Simplify Media, which makes a bit of desktop software that can stream all your music directly from iTunes to your phone. The demo was quite slick -- you just open the app and push "all," and all your music is instantly available. Whether or not this'll work over 3G or be limited to the local network is still up in the air, but we're dying to try it out.

Entense Supporter
    can't wait till 2.2

No huge surprises here, but Google just announced Android 2.2 "Froyo" at I/O, and the big addition is a just-in-time compiler, which brings a 2-5x speed boost to the system. There are also 20 new enterprise features, including better Exchange integration and device administration APIs, as well as a new device backup app that'll let you transfer personal data to a new device. Android 2.2 also features a new cloud-to-device messaging API that Google called "much more than a push notification service designed to make up for a lack of basic features like multitasking," and of course, WiFi tethering -- which was used to get a WiFi iPad online during the demo to great cheers. Google also demoed a new JavaScript engine in the Android browser, which is billed as "the world's fastest web browser," and a Chrome browser plugin that allows you to send directions from Maps on your desktop directly to your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    can't wait till 2.2
    Just a word about the Just In Time (JIT) Compiler. It won't be an overall speed boost to the core. It will apply only to certain types of apps, and Flash. Basically what I'm saying is that don't expect 2.2 to be 5x faster than 2.1 (it won't), but its whats allows flash to run smoothly and other apps (using certain code base) will be snappier.

I need 2.1 for G1. I'm dying here.

Master of Posting
    how much time is left on your contract? I'd just wait it out and get a new phone... or root it. I doubt G1 is ever getting 2.1.

Quote Originally Posted by zidane2006 View Post
    I need 2.1 for G1. I'm dying here.
    Unless you go Cyanogen Mod you'll be waiting forever. It's a technical limitation on the hardware side of things. The G1 has reserved 72 MB for the system directory and 2.1 currently need more than that (but less then 96 which is what the MyTouch has). Once you install the Danger/Death/Haykuro SPL you're G1 will be capable of running CM 2.1 (and 2.2 once it comes out because it will fit on the MyTouch). I don't know why i bother thought because I've said this to you about 5 times already.

Quote Originally Posted by BAM720 View Post
    Unless you go Cyanogen Mod you'll be waiting forever. It's a technical limitation on the hardware side of things. The G1 has reserved 72 MB for the system directory and 2.1 currently need more than that (but less then 96 which is what the MyTouch has). Once you install the Danger/Death/Haykuro SPL you're G1 will be capable of running CM 2.1 (and 2.2 once it comes out because it will fit on the MyTouch). I don't know why i bother thought because I've said this to you about 5 times already.
    Lol, I know. I'm just sick of the G1, I want a Nexus One but it's too expensive. T-mobile's best Android phone is the MyTouch... and that's sad. Will the MyTouch be 2.2 compatible without a mod?

Quote Originally Posted by zidane2006 View Post
    Lol, I know. I'm just sick of the G1, I want a Nexus One but it's too expensive. T-mobile's best Android phone is the MyTouch... and that's sad. Will the MyTouch be 2.2 compatible without a mod?
    The My Touch Slide is coming June 2nd (I think). It's basically the mating of the My Touch and the G1 (looks like a MT, but has a physical keyboard). The new Touch will be running 2.1 with a new Sense UI (called espresso).

The good news is that this Custom 2.1 should be backported officially to the MyTouch. The bad news is that the Custom Sense UI has enough differences that it probably won't update to 2.2 for a while. Personally I'm not that big a fan of the new Espresso Sense UI (the "ice" looks gay, but the "themes" look cool). Technically speaking both the MyTouch and the MT Slide should be able to officially support 2.2. Im concerned the processor won't run the flash and heavy apps too well.

I have lots of Seniority

Re: Android Thread

I think I'm going to pass up any mods for 2.2

Master of Posting
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    I think I'm going to pass up any mods for 2.2
    you say that now... and so do I. let's see what the carriers decide to do with the tethering functionality.

i got the Fender 3g. T-mo is testing the OTA update currently. hope they hurry the fuck up...

brywonder and bwill93

Quote Originally Posted by ericd84 View Post
    i got the Fender 3g. T-mo is testing the OTA update currently. hope they hurry the fuck up...
    They're waiting for the release of the MT Slide. You'll probably get an update at that same time or a week after.

Entense Supporter
    2.2 has already started to be sent out to the Nexus Ones. There will probably be an official download link soon.

Master of Posting
    went back to stock 2.1 - waiting anxiously

Entense Supporter
    2.2 (Froyo) released for the Nexus One. For unrooted phones only.

http://android.clients.google.com/pa...7.1e519a24.zip

Master of Posting
    and if you are rooted: http://android.modaco.com/content/go...ed-update-zip/

running it now. it's pretty sweet.