User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My vertical jump training [update 2/18 with video]

Entense Supporter

My vertical jump training [update 2/18 with video]

Since I have this summer off I'm going to start back on vert training. I did this training program called vertical jump bible last March and gained about 9" of vert after this 12 week program.

My goal is to one day be able to dunk. I'm about 5'8", 163 lb., and I can currently reach about 2" above a 10' basketball rim when jumping off two legs, and I can touch rim when jumping off one leg. I figure I'll need about 7-8" more vert until I can start getting the ball over the rim with control.

I'm also doing about four days of regular strength training + playing basketball a couple times a week.

slightly old video of a warmup jump. after a couple games in i can get about my wrist to the rim, and can throw down an alley oop if the ball's right there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwQYPVL024I

lols just a motivational:

Goals: A large focus on improving reactive strength

Intensity: Moderately High to High

Length: 4 phases with each phase 3 weeks in duration

Frequency: 2 times per week with at least 2 full days between workouts. On the final week of each phase test first and then perform the workout. At the conclusion of the entire program take an entire week off then re-test.

Rest Intervals
    : 2 minutes for most exercises. At least 3 minutes between sets on depth jumps and sprints.

Phase 1

Phase 2

Phase 3

Phase 4

Exercise Descriptions (for me to reference to):

Phase 1

Bent over donkey ankle bounces- Find an object about waist high you can lean against for support. To perform the movement you bend over until your upper body is parallel to the ground and resting the majority of your upper body weight on the object. Your legs will be back behind you and straight. The exercise gets its name from an old bodybuilding calf exercise called Donkey Calf raises. The idea was to have someone sit on your back as you perform straight legged calf raises. You will be doing the same thing, only you won’t have anyone sitting on your back and you will be leaping up using the power of your calves and ankle extensors. Can be done with 1 or 2 legs and also jumping with 2 and landing on 1.

1-2-3 Jump- This is a drill that is performed in rhythmic alternating fashion. Take 2 short steps and jump as high as possible. As soon as you hit the ground take 2 more steps and jump with the opposite leg this time. Continue to do that alternating push off legs back and forth without stopping until the desired # of repetitions are complete.

Rhythmic jump squat- This exercise is known as “leap-ups” in some other programs. In a rhythmic fashion squat down and jump back up as high as possible. Can be done using either a squat motion or a deeper squat. Can be done with the hands either behind the head or with the hands reaching up with each jump.

Standing broad jump- Stand in a stationary position and jump up and forward as far as you can. Pause and re-set yourself and perform the required number of repetitions.

High box depth jumps- Using a high box (>18 inches) but up to over 36 inches, stand on the box and step off, upon hitting the ground either immediately jump up as high as possible or jump up onto another box if you have one available. The distance that you jump away from the box should be approximately the same distance as the height of the box. So if you’re jumping off a 36-inch box you should jump approximately 36 inches out. If you don’t have another box turn around and step back up on the box and repeat. If you are using 2 boxes simply turn around on that box and repeat. Each ground contact equals one repetition.

Low squat ankle jump- Get in a low squat position while you rise up on your toes. From this position you should bounce up and down forcefully on the balls of your feet while you stay down in a squat position. Try to use the power of your hips and calves but without straightening your legs – With each mini-jump attempt to bring your feet up towards your chest

Phase 2

4-star drill- imagine 4 numbers or stars about 18-24 inches apart. It may look something like this:

1 2
    4 3

Start off at 1, jump to 2 then to 3 then to 4 then to 1 then back to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1. Hop all the way around and back. That equals 1 repetition. Can be done with 2 legs or 1 leg.

Lateral cone or obstacle jumps- Using cones or low obstacles (12-18 inches) jump back and forth over the object. Performed just like line/slalom jumps except you should be using an actual object to jump over and the jumps will be higher and more intense. Each ground contact equals one repetition.

One-legged step up jump- Find a bench about 18-24 inches high and place one leg on the bench with one leg on the ground. Now, from a dead stop and without bending down at all, jump as high as possible and land in the exact same position with the same leg on the bench and the same leg on the ground. Pause for a second and repeat. Perform all the reps for one leg before moving on to the other leg.

Double leg bounding- also known as leapfrogs – This exercise is performed much like a standing broad jump but is more rhythmic in nature and the squatting phase is not as deep. Jump up and out as far as you can and immediately execute another jump at ground contact.

Phase 3

Slalom jumps- also called line jumps or slalom jumps. Simply imagine a line or low object directly on the ground under you and hop lightly back and forth across the line. Can be done with either both or 1 leg. Each ground contact equals 1 repetition. Pace will be about the same as you would use if you were jumping rope.

Barrier jump- Set up objects in front of you that are approximately as high as your best vertical jump. Now simply jump over them one at a time. Try to perform the entire set smooth and with little effort. This exercise can be done unilaterally as well. If you don’t have objects or hurdles you can also use imaginary objects.

On-box jump- From the ground simply jump onto a box or bench and then step-off - Can also be done unilaterally.

Low side to side box jump- Using a box lower then 18 inches start off on the box and jump off to one side – At ground contact immediately bounce back up on the box, then step off to the other side, hit the ground, and rebound back up on the box. Repeat to the other side continuing to go back and forth. Each ground contact equals one repetition.

Rhythmic alternating lunge jumps- From a lunge position push off of both legs simultaneously and jump up as high as possible. When you’re in midair switch legs and land in the same position you started but with the opposite leg forward. Perform this exercise smooth and with rhythm. As soon as you land immediately execute another jump. Complete for the desired number of repetitions.

1-leg speed hop- also known as 1-legged bounding - Usually done for a pre-determined distance such as 10 yards or 20 yards. Simply hop on one leg as fast as you can for the desired distance trying to maintain a straight plant leg. This exercise can also be done with a sprint into a 1-leg speed hop. In this version you start off with a moderate sprint and without slowing down begin bounding forward on one leg.

Phase 4

Box squat jumps- also known as sit jumps- Sit back on boxes or a chair in a or 1/2 squat position. From this position jump up as high as possible or out as far as possible. You can also have another box you can attempt to jump on or over. By varying the height of the box you’re sitting down on you can vary the intensity of the exercise.
    Last edited by ddubs; 3/20/2012 at 10:37 am.

Entense Supporter
    That's pretty cool man, seriously. It looks like it's going to take a shit load of dedication and hard work, but if it's there you're most likely going to reach your goal with all the exercises that are planned out.

Make sure you make progress posts, which I'm sure you will.

Are you doing this because you play basketball? or do you just wanna dunk?

I mean like playing for a competitive team not just for fun.
    Last edited by Willy K.; 5/13/2010 at 2:35 am.

Entense Supporter
    basically i just want to dunk. i don't play for any competitive team or anything, i just play a lot.

BANNED
    ill have to try this out after i recover from my ankle injury

The Fucking King! roger goodell's Avatar
    thanks i want to do this over the summer and be able to dunk after. i only need ~4 inches more but i want to be able to throw it down.

BANNED
    I've always been obsessed about vertical jump, but I've never seen anything like this. That's mind blowing. If I could add 9" to my vertical I would have my elbow at the rim. Too bad I don't play basketball. :/

Entense Supporter
    sidenote: after you do a program like this, or any jump program, you'll see maximum results about a month (or more) AFTER you complete the program. and this is after a lot of rest for your legs, like no leg training, no basketball, just rest.

and if you guys download the program (linked in OP) this is the intermediate training program, since i completed the beginner one last march. if you guys are just starting vert training then i would suggest doing the beginning program first. then wait a month before you start again.

also, i plan on starting my training next week

Someone posts A LOT
    haha reminds me of this blog: http://iwilldunk.blogspot.com/

I fully support you man, the slam dunk is one of the most vicious, personal, badass moves you can do over someone in sports. Let us know about the progress.

a have you ever tried air alert, now thats an intense workout to increase your vert, it better than the one you do now
    Love me or hate me, I'm still better than you

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by great33 View Post
    a have you ever tried air alert, now thats an intense workout to increase your vert, it better than the one you do now
    yes i have tried air alert, and no it's not the answer.

air alert, while being one of the oldest jump programs out there, is not the best, or even better than the program i'm doing now.

air alert's exercises will most likely lead to over training. they have you doing way too many repetitions, which is terrible on your knees, and the types of exercises have shown to cause muscle imbalances.

how tall are you ddubs? and how close are you to dunking? can you jump up, from a standing position under the rim and grab it with both hands?

thats where i'm at, but i still can't dunk a basketball, its lame. its probably cuz i can't palm a b-ball, so i probably need to add a solid 2-4" to my vertical so i can just like drop it in.

oh thanks for a link to the VJB too, i've been meaning to buy (download) that.
    Last edited by bro; 5/18/2010 at 12:34 pm.

Entense Supporter
    i'm 5'8", 163 lb. and i am quite a ways from actually dunking. from a running start and jumping off two feet, i can get about 2" above the rim.

i actually did a beginner 12-week course from the vertical jump bible, and it's gotten me that far (about 9" of vert). i need about 7-8" of vert to actually get close to dunking.
    Last edited by ddubs; 11/02/2010 at 11:49 pm.

Growing up i was the kid who couldnt land a free throw let alone dunk

Entense Supporter
    about half way through training. had to take some time off because of work.

i'm consistently grabbing rim and getting about half of my hand over the rim. i can dunk tennis balls now lol. i'll hafta wait like a month after i stop training to see my max results

Entensity Vet
    Entense Supporter
    Have you seen any increase in your calves since you started this routine?

Entense Supporter
    yea, they've become a lot more defined. but really most of your jumping power comes from your quadriceps/hamstrings. your calves are more of a stabilizer muscle when it comes to jumping.

Entense Supporter
    I'm 5' 7" and I can get maybe 4" above the bottom of the net and that's on a good day

Good luck to you man.
    This is not for you.

Bad-ass Member
    you should try the p90x plyometrics workout in there also, im a bball player in really good shape and that shit killed me

Entense Supporter
    p90x plyo's fuck me up everytime i do them