User Tag List

Thread: New Orleans style BBQ Shrimp

Entense Supporter

New Orleans style BBQ Shrimp

SO I just finished cooking up some amazingly good BBQ shrimp and figured I'd share some pics. This isn't my recipe, I got the recipe from here:

http://www.ralphbrennancookbook.com/re_shrimp.php

I suggest any of you try this, easily one of the best shrimp recipes I've had and will use more often. I used medium sized shrimp and removed the head but kept the legs, shell and tail on them, you might see 1 or 2 with no shell in the pics but those were for a quick taste test after they were rdy. I followed the recipe to the T aside from using a bit less butter than what was recommended and no lemon rhine.

Without further ado..

Ingredients, the creole seasoning I used was Tony Chachere's original creole seasoning.

After grinding up the peppercorns my dog went into a sneezing fit, was pretty funny to watch, caught a pic of him mid sneeze.

The volunteers.

All ingredients in the pan sans butter.

After 2 minutes of stirring and flipping the shrimp, this is about the time I added the butter and a bit more minced garlic.

after putting in the butter, the aroma coming out of this pan was mouth watering.

The finished product.

As I mentioned before they were FANTASTIC, had a nice spicy zing to them and will definitely be using this recipe again.

Don't take my word for it, give it a shot and see for yourself
    Last edited by Finski; 5/21/2010 at 11:27 pm.

There was a place in New Orleans I went to last year that had these on their menu, damn delightful.Looks good, I am going to have to try these now that you reminded me of them.

I am thinking about doing this dish tonight but with some blue crabs i caught today. Ill clean them, break in half and replace the shrimp with them.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by greasynm View Post
    There was a place in New Orleans I went to last year that had these on their menu, damn delightful.Looks good, I am going to have to try these now that you reminded me of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by greasynm View Post
    I am thinking about doing this dish tonight but with some blue crabs i caught today. Ill clean them, break in half and replace the shrimp with them.

Double posting will get you probated really fast. Next time just edit your first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Finsol View Post
    SO I just finished cooking up some amazingly good BBQ shrimp and figured I'd share some pics. This isn't my recipe, I got the recipe from here:
    This looks fucking badass. I'd swear you said to yourself, "hmmm, wtf would Spif want me to post?" I might make this shit tomorrow. I'll snap a few pics if I do.

Holy shit I rule!
    I haven't made it in awhile, but I used to always use Saveur's recipe (which was a take on Commander's Palace's recipe)

16 jumbo shrimp, such as Gulf of Mexico pink, peeled
    and deveined (tails left on)
    2 tbsp. creole or cajun seasoning
    1⁄4 cup canola oil
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    1⁄2 cup beer, preferably Abita Amber
    6 tbsp. hot sauce, preferably Crystal brand
    6 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
    5 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    12 tbsp. cold butter, cut into small pieces
    1 loaf crusty french bread

1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Meanwhile, put shrimp and creole seasoning into a bowl; toss to coat. Set aside. Add oil and garlic to skillet and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Add rosemary and cook for 2–3 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, flipping once, until it starts to turn pink, about 30 seconds. Transfer shrimp to a large plate; set aside. Add beer, hot sauce, worcestershire, and lemon juice to skillet; stir well. Cook, stirring, until thickened, 7–8 minutes.

2. Remove skillet from heat; whisk in butter a few pieces at a time (sauce will start to thicken). Return shrimp to skillet; toss to coat. Return skillet to medium heat and cook until shrimp are cooked through, 2–3 minutes. Transfer shrimp and sauce to 4 deep plates. Serve with chunks of crusty french bread for dipping.
    Trees there will be / Apples, fruits maybe / You know what I fear / The end is always near

will do on the double post, my bad.

I'm gonna try this with some linguine real soon. I'll get some pics and we'll see how if it looks as good as yours.

Entense Supporter
    check, my dad made this last night ..a bit of a twist on your recipe though as far as spices go, and you are also supposed to add fish stock as well. He cooks the shrimp in melted butter then added beer when they were starting to pink up, then you boil the sauce down a bit and add it to pasta

you failed on not serving this over pasta though and double failed on not having bread to mop up the sauce with...that's the best part of the meal

Next time you do this, also use half shrimp with heads. The extra fat in the heads cooks out into the sauce and makes it deliiiiiish

edit: he went to school in New Orleans so he knows his shit when it comes to cajun food. I'd recommend heeding my advice - his shit is more fantastic than the ones I ate down in NOLA
    Last edited by Nigel; 8/11/2010 at 12:46 pm.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cohen View Post
    check, my dad made this last night ..a bit of a twist on your recipe though as far as spices go, and you are also supposed to add fish stock as well. He cooks the shrimp in melted butter then added beer when they were starting to pink up, then you boil the sauce down a bit and add it to pasta

you failed on not serving this over pasta though and double failed on not having bread to mop up the sauce with...that's the best part of the meal

Next time you do this, also use half shrimp with heads. The extra fat in the heads cooks out into the sauce and makes it deliiiiiish

edit: he went to school in New Orleans so he knows his shit when it comes to cajun food. I'd recommend heeding my advice - his shit is more fantastic than the ones I ate down in NOLA
    I actually had french bread but it wasnt in the pics, hell yeah its good witht he sauce . I didn't think of using this recipe with pasta I'll have to give it a try .

Your version of the recipe sounds good as well.

made this tonight. ate my fair share of shrimp i tell ya, and about half a french load. my girlfriend is disgusted, but it was fucking delicious.
    Pints Of Guinness Make You Strong.

Entense Supporter
    Looks great! I'll try it sometime. Only bad thing about your recipe and pics is that the shrimp have no heads! That's where all the great flavor is.

Somewhat Poster
    Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cohen View Post

Sounds like some great alterations to the recipe. Some of the same exact things I was thinking as I was reading the OP. Also, the fresh ground spices are a must, it makes all the difference. It reminds me of my time working down in nola, def going to give this a go.