User Tag List

Thread: '78 K5 Blazer

Holy shit I rule!

'78 K5 Blazer

Just bought my first project car ever today. After a couple weeks of looking I decided this one would be best for me. I want it as an off-road vehicle that can drive to the trails, then drive back home. Not too nice where I don't want to beat it up, and not too bad where its more than I can handle.

I paid $2,000 for it.

'78 K5 Blazer
    4x4, I believe an NP203 transfer case
    350ci V8
    TH350 transmission
    37" Mud tires on 17" wheels
    I got the top for it, its in decent shape, but I took it off.
    Has a nice alarm with remote start.

Only rust on it is minor surface rust on the floor all around except for the front passenger floor which needs to be replaced. Shouldn't be too hard since its pretty much a flat piece of steel that needs to be welded in.

My first things to do are, replace the seats, the bent hood and the front passenger floor. This will be a long, slow and ongoing project.

Pictures are a little mixed up as I let Photobucket organize them.

wow the exterior is in excellent shape, and I can't believe how little rust there is under the truck (i'm guessing you live somewhere warm), obviously the interior has some work to do

looks like your going to need to put in some speakers in the door pannels. And your definitely going to need some new floor carpeting, but honestly i think this was a great purchase. I really like the body style, and think that this is going to be a very unique car to fix up. I cant wait to see what you do to it

Holy shit I rule!
    I live in Arizona, the heater core leaked and rusted out the floor up front, thats the only reason there is any rust at all.

Speakers will be put in eventually. After I fix the floor up front I'm going to bedliner the whole thing, get a set of 4 vinyl racing seats and waterproof everything electrical. I want to be able to hose out the interior after I get back from a trail.

Holy shit I rule!
    Replaced a few gaskets, changed the oil, filled the transmission fluid, flushed the radiator the best I could, tightened some belts, replaced the thermostat. Rewired the alarm/remote start, its not so sketchy anymore.
    The coolant looked like lake water and the oil was black.

Holy shit I rule!
    Been doing a lot of little stuff:

There was a bad trans leak at the dipstick, fixed that.

Took out the back seat, the passanger seat, the center console, all of the trim and gutted the duct work in the dash.

Cut the rusted floor pan out, but broke my angle grinder in the process so I'm waiting for a replacement to arrive to clean up the metal and weld a new one in.

Welded the latch back together on the tailgate so it closes correctly.

Took out a ton of excess wiring that wasn't hooked to anything.

I have a radio and speakers waiting to put in.

I need to replace the flexplate which seems to be bent and the front right locking hub.

After I fix the floor, a roll cage and new seats are going in.

I will update with some pics, probably tomorrow night.

Holy shit I rule!
    With the help of a friend we have been working on the rusted out floor pan on the passenger side.

Notice the ridiculous amount of rust and the huge dent from where it looks like the drive shaft broke and bashed the floor upwards along the access panel thing.

After a few hours of cutting, grinding, hammering and welding up small cracks.

Cut a piece of sheet metal down to the correct size, bent some of the contours into it and made a piece to repair the bashed up floor.

We have some more cleaning up to do, but I think it is coming along quite nicely!

Goal is for it to be done tomorrow.

Holy shit I rule!
    Terrible picture, but ITS IN!

Just a tiny amount of grinding to do, then some primer, then some bedliner!

Holy shit I rule!
    Spent the past couple hours stripping some crappy primer and a couple layers of paint off the tailgate and priming it for some bedliner in the future.

Looks like a fun project, I'm jealous of your rear axle. Very popular axle swap for Jeepers.

update plZ
    totes gay

Holy shit I rule!
    Don't really have any huge updates on it. I ran into electrical problems, the battery drains when the truck sits. 2 different batteries, new alternator and I can't find where its grounding out. The battery will last 1-3 days and then die, even if I'm driving around.