User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: You can call me Doctor

congrats mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chekmate View Post
    Yanking on balls might work. Some people stretch their wangs daily with weights. I hear it can give you erectile dysfunction though, so I wouldn't try it. Try Puberty, that's what's did it for me...
    rofl idk ima try the wieghts thing and get back to you on that one but if it forms ercetice dysfunction im coming to you for medical assistance.

How has residency been so far now that you are a couple months in? Any regrets or unexpected things about the program you matched with?

BANNED
    Yeah lets hear an update.... half as exciting as TV makes it out to be? Or are you stuck cleaning shit up and giving prostate exams?

Pimpin Member
    Somewhere in between those two extremes. It's roughly as expected, seems more like an extension of the second two years of med school in some ways, on some days. My work seems to swing wildly between extreme supervision and extreme independence, depending on who I'm working with that day. I am, however, anxious almost all of the time, as the over-supervisors are judging me, and the under-supervisors are just letting me wing it.

Overall though, I've been pleasantly surprised with the program I matched into. Everyone is nice, the hours aren't as hellish as they could be, and I get a significant variety and pathology in my program (>75K visits per year), which is really what it's all about. A nurse did complain about me to my boss about an "inappropriate" joke I made though. Nothing came of it, but it was still annoying. Fuck her...

Generally so far though, a week seems to break down like this: Work for 55-70 hours, Educational Activities for 5-10 hours, Studying at home for 5-10 hours. I live really close to the hospital, so I don't really have much commute, so the rest of the time is mine. Not bad I think. I still get time to watch TV, sleep 6-8 hours a night, and play video games, so I can't complain.

So far, so good. And I hear it only gets better the farther along I get... 45 more months, or as I like to think of it, I'm almost 7% done already!

BANNED
    Do you ever get paged randomly to come in immediately?

Do tell the joke too.

Bad-ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chekmate View Post
    Somewhere in between those two extremes. It's roughly as expected, seems more like an extension of the second two years of med school in some ways, on some days. My work seems to swing wildly between extreme supervision and extreme independence, depending on who I'm working with that day. I am, however, anxious almost all of the time, as the over-supervisors are judging me, and the under-supervisors are just letting me wing it.

Overall though, I've been pleasantly surprised with the program I matched into. Everyone is nice, the hours aren't as hellish as they could be, and I get a significant variety and pathology in my program (>75K visits per year), which is really what it's all about. A nurse did complain about me to my boss about an "inappropriate" joke I made though. Nothing came of it, but it was still annoying. Fuck her...

Generally so far though, a week seems to break down like this: Work for 55-70 hours, Educational Activities for 5-10 hours, Studying at home for 5-10 hours. I live really close to the hospital, so I don't really have much commute, so the rest of the time is mine. Not bad I think. I still get time to watch TV, sleep 6-8 hours a night, and play video games, so I can't complain.

So far, so good. And I hear it only gets better the farther along I get... 45 more months, or as I like to think of it, I'm almost 7% done already!
    I'm about 17 months from graduation so I'm in my MS3 year. I'll tell you, I never thought that I would enjoy everything as much as I do, from Peds to Psych to Surgery. I will say that I had a kick ass time in the Pedi-ED. How did you decide on EM or were you also considering something else? And any thoughts of a fellowship in the future?

Pimpin Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CruelToYou View Post
    Do you ever get paged randomly to come in immediately?

Do tell the joke too.
    I mostly get paged about stupid stuff, administration uses it as a kind of urgent form of email. Haven't gotten paged to come in right away or anything yet. Sometimes I'll get paged about lab values or whatever, but not often.

As for the joke, it wasn't even much of a joke, it was more me joking, and the nurse didn't know. Had a "Priority 1" come in and we were doing the workup and whatnot on him, and it was noted that I should do the rectal to make sure he didn't have a GI Bleed causing his problems. I got my shit together to do it, and then I say "Hey, shouldn't we make the med student do this?" jokingly. A nurse thought this was unprofessional. Fuck her though...

Quote Originally Posted by cobra9769 View Post
    I'm about 17 months from graduation so I'm in my MS3 year. I'll tell you, I never thought that I would enjoy everything as much as I do, from Peds to Psych to Surgery. I will say that I had a kick ass time in the Pedi-ED. How did you decide on EM or were you also considering something else? And any thoughts of a fellowship in the future?
    As far as how I decided, it really came down to I just had the most fun there. I mean, I like being the first to see patients, and I like seeing sick patients, I like to do procedures, but not all the time, I being busy, I like a little of everything, and I like not having call. IM (Hospitalist - good gig) was on my possible list, but I decided I didn't like writing notes on patients all day, and seeing the same people every day... boring! As for fellowship, I think I'll be done after residency. I'm going to get Ultrasound certification during residency, but beyond that, there aren't many EM fellowships, and the ones there are don't seem all that appealing, especially for an extra year or two. If you have any more specific questions about EM and why, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

BANNED