User Tag List

Thread: Pernil, Sofrito Rice, and Tostones: Cheap, easy, delicious Puerto Rican meal

The Fucking King! Dapper Dan Man's Avatar

Pernil, Sofrito Rice, and Tostones: Cheap, easy, delicious Puerto Rican meal

Full disclosure: I found this recipe on reddit a few weeks back but just tried it out tonight and it turned out awesome so I figured I'd share with you.

This is an easy meal to make. Pretty much all of the ingredients are dirt cheap. I think total I spent around $15-20 on everything and had enough to feed myself and my roommate tonight with plenty leftover.

Sorry, I took these pics with my camera phone so they're not the best.

Pernil

Ingredients
    • Pork Shoulder, skin on, bone in (I got 3.5 lbs. for around $7)
    • Garlic
    • Salt
    • Pepper
    • Goya Sazon (seasoning salt you can find at almost any Latino grocery store)
    • Olive oil

Directions
    In a mortar and pestle combine 3-5 cloves of garlic, 4 packs of Goya Sazon, salt and pepper to taste, and a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Grind it up real good so you get a paste.

Take a long knife and make several deep incisions in the pork shoulder. Take the paste you just made and stuff it in these holes then rub the rest all over the pork shoulder coating it completely.

Cover it and throw it in the fridge to marinate. I only let mine marinate for 4 hours and it turned out great but when I make this again I'll do it longer, probably overnight.

When you're ready to cook preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Put the pork shoulder skin-side up in a pan 2-4" deep so it cooks in all its delicious juices. Cover it with some aluminum foil and throw it in the oven. As a rule of thumb you're going to need to cook it about 45 minutes for every lb.

About halfway through, take it out and check its temp, it should be around 160 degrees, if not cover it back up and let it cook a little longer.

If it is at the right temp though, turn the oven up to 400 and put the shoulder back in uncovered, this will cause that skin to get crispy enough to give you a mouth-gasm.

When it gets close to being done, check it to see that the skin is indeed crispy and that its internal temperature is at least 170. Let it sit for 10 minutes then serve.

Sofrito Rice

Ingredients
    • Rice (I used white but I'm sure it would taste good with yellow, Spanish, etc.)
    • 1 can of black beans
    • 1 onion (yellow or white)
    • Garlic
    • Goya Sazon
    • Salt
    • Pepper
    • Cayenne powder
    • Olive oil or butter

Directions

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add one cup of rice, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer.

Put your butter or olive oil in a frying pan and let it get hot. Add chopped onion and garlic. Stir it until the onion starts to get tender and gets that "glassy" look. Add one pack of Goya Sazon, salt and pepper to taste, and some cayenne powder (depending on how hot you want it). Keep stirring this until it get very soft and almost paste-like.

At this point you'll add your can of black beans. Just dump it in there water and all. Once the rice is done scoop this on top of it.

Boom.

Tostones

Ingredients
    • 2 green plantains
    • Corn or vegetable oil
    • Bacon fat

Cut the skin of the plantain length-wise trying not to cut into the plantain itself. Once it's out of its skin, slice the plantain cross-wise into about 1/2" slices. Let these slices soak in a bowl of ice water for a few minutes.

Put corn oil into a frying pan (or a fryer if you are lucky enough to have one) and turn it up high so that shit gets really hot.

Once the oil is hot add a spoon or two of bacon fat.

Remove the plantain slices from the water, pat the dry, and add to oil. You're going to want to cook the slices for about 1-2 minutes each side until they are golden yellow.

Take the plantains out of the oil, reduce the heat (or even turn off the stove) and put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

After the ten minutes is up, turn up the heat on the oil again.

While the oil is heating up take a flat bottomed cup or wooden spoon and smush the plantains to around 1/4 - 1/2 their original height.

Add the smushed plantains back into the oil and fry until golden brown. Use a paper towel to soak up excess grease and eat.
    http://i.minus.com/jImVjEu419qgD.png

Holy shit I rule!
    I'm making a variation of this tonight using fresher ingredients than a box of Goya Sazon. I'll post more if it turns out good.
    Trees there will be / Apples, fruits maybe / You know what I fear / The end is always near

Pimpin Member
    This thread makes me laugh because my mom is 100% puerto rican, and this is one of the meals she loves to make. So for her having years of experience, plus when she has a couple beers in her... this shit turns out awesome and I always go over to eat when she makes it. She also makes other spanish meals.... ever had PAELLA ?? holy shit now thats amazing.. and of course my abuela is the one that perfected it... and when she comes to visit she usually makes it once...puts a shitload of lobster.. and yum fucking yummy