User Tag List

Thread: Taking a Trip to Hawaii

Entense Supporter

Taking a Trip to Hawaii

Will be on Oahu for the majority of the time. I know we'll be doing some scuba diving, surfing, and kitesurfing. No other plans, help me fill in the details.

Also, home base will be in Waikiki, so if you know anything about cool bars or things like that for 18-24 demographic, that would be useful.

Entense Supporter
    have fun

I was just there last month. I stayed with my family at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. My biggest piece of advice would just be to go out and randomly explore. There are tons of interesting people and places to see. I accidently ran into 2 different parades on 2 separate occasions when I decided to randomly walk around. For food, check out Round Table Pizza. It's probably some of the best pizza i've had. You could also make reservations for Benihana (Japanese place where they make the food in front of you). Check out the Yardhouse for one of the biggest selections of draft beer (over 100). Muay Thais, although tasty, can get expensive. We ended up buying the mix at one of the 9000 ABC stores and mixing it with rum. Saves sooo much money. Also, if you can, make a trip out to the north shore. The Dole Plantation is pretty popular and has the world's largest maze. The Polynesian Cultural Center is a must and it also has one of the coolest shows I've ever seen. Get tickets at http://www.polynesia.com/. As for snorkeling, we went to Hanama Bay 3 times. The earlier you go, the better. There's all kinds of stuff out there. Have fun.
    I have a signature

I haven't had a great chance to go out to clubs and stuff, but Kalakaua and Kuhio Streets both are happening at night that's for sure.

Restaurant-wise I am golden.

For a good breakfast, lunch, or dinner the Wailana Coffee Shop. It has amazing pancakes and French toast. They are open 24 hours a day, so even if you have the late night munchies this place is crucial.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-21897790...avC3HOJeNdFmoL
    1860 Ala Moana Blvd. Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815

You most definitely need to go to Keo’s(Thai Food), it could be my favorite restaurant in Waikiki. Great, Spicy food that is delicious with a nice price.
    www.keosthaicuisine.com
    2028 Kuhio Avenue Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815

Duke’s Canoe Club Waikiki(American) is another great place. They have an awesome breakfast buffet and are located right on the beach. Their dinner is pretty good too.
    www.dukeswaikiki.com
    2335 Kalakaua Ave # 116 Honolulu, HI 96815

For an amazing burger, you need to go to Kua ‘Aina Sandwich Shop. Any of their burgers are easily some of the best I have had. They have locations on the North Shore and in Waikiki. I prefer the North Shore over the Waikiki one, but the last trip they impressed me as well. This burger beats In-N-Out haha.
    www.kua-aina.com
    Waikiki Location
    1200 Ala Moana Blvd. Honolulu, HI 96814

If you are feeling like steak, Chuck’s Steakhouse is the place to go. Unfortunately the one that I grew to love is gone but the second location is just as good.
    http://www.restaurantswaikiki.com/chuckssteakhouse.htm
    2335 Kalakaua Ave. Honolulu, HI 96815

When in doubt, they just opened up a Senor Frogs, PF Changs, and Cheesecake Factory. All three are good and I have been to all of them as well haha. I would only suggest going to them if you must, as these other places are much better. There are also many noodle places in Waikiki. They are all pretty much the same and generally delicious. They can be your best friend if you want a quick meal.

Don’t forget about all the other free amenities and fun stuff to do. The Hilton Hawaiian Village puts on a Fireworks show every Friday, there are PLENTY of travel books with awesome coupons in them, and the beach is always amazing. The east side of Waikiki Beach is better than the west side because it doesn’t have as much coral and rocks that hurt feet. If you are interested in sight-seeing, there is Pearl Harbor and Hanauma Bay. Make sure you bring your camera!

DO NOT go to Round Table Pizza. Its just like Dominoes or Pizza Hut. Benihana's is cute, but its also a chain and isn't as good as Tanaka of Tokyo or Kobe's Steakhouse. Go to one of those, there are at least 4 in Waikiki.

The Polynesian Cultural Center is cool...but eh..I'd pass. There are so many Luau's and other things you can do.

and it is spelled Mai Tai...not Muay Thais lol, silly Canadian.

ALSO:

Where are you staying in Waikiki?
    Last edited by Cruise; 7/19/2010 at 3:50 am.

[/url]BRING BACK :NECKBEARD: CREW

Entense Supporter
    Thanks for the tips so far. Yeah haha, I won't be marking down any restaurant chains as "must sees". I've been to the Kobe-type steakhouses in all the big cities.

HOTEL: We're going to be split between the Halekulani and Marriott (old & young, so it would be useful to know which activities are family-type occasions and which are not).

Also, tell me about golf if you've done it. I wouldn't want to play any more than two rounds, probably more like one, but would rent clubs and wouldn't want to pay out of my ass. Saw something about discounts for students who go to school in Hawaii. Let me know if there is a way for me to save money for more booze.

And on that note, might as well ask because it's the internet. Tell me about the women. My sort-of girlfriend will be there, but if I'm not with her, I will be looking to get laid by either Hawaiin girls, European girls, or Australian girls on vacation. So where will they be? Where will the topless beaches be? Etc...

Quote Originally Posted by abernat View Post
    Thanks for the tips so far. Yeah haha, I won't be marking down any restaurant chains as "must sees". I've been to the Kobe-type steakhouses in all the big cities.

HOTEL: We're going to be split between the Halekulani and Marriott (old & young, so it would be useful to know which activities are family-type occasions and which are not).

Also, tell me about golf if you've done it. I wouldn't want to play any more than two rounds, probably more like one, but would rent clubs and wouldn't want to pay out of my ass. Saw something about discounts for students who go to school in Hawaii. Let me know if there is a way for me to save money for more booze.

And on that note, might as well ask because it's the internet. Tell me about the women. My sort-of girlfriend will be there, but if I'm not with her, I will be looking to get laid by either Hawaiin girls, European girls, or Australian girls on vacation. So where will they be? Where will the topless beaches be? Etc...
    I can't suggest more to go to Tanaka of Tokyo. It really is amazing overall, and the chef's skills seem to be so much better than at Kobe's or Benihana's recently. I love it so much I went there for my 21st Birthday.

I absolutely love the Halekulani...it can be a bit ritzy though. Haha. Almost all of the Luau's are family oriented. Adult-wise I would say try getting on a booze cruise, or do a more adult oriented luau or trip to the bars or shows in town. It really depends on what you guys want to do. All Ages would love Hanauma Bay, but if you want to Offroad or Horseback ride, then kids aren't always welcome.

I have zero idea about golf. I've played it, but not in Hawaii. Turtle Bay is gorgeous, and I believe they have a golf course too. They are on the North Shore.

There are a lot of beautiful girls in Hawaii. It's summer, so you'll probably see a lot of Japanese and Australians. Europeans are here and there, but I've only met a few in my past trips...it's a far trip for them. For the girls though, just go to the beach, go to the bars and restaurants and you'll be set.

There aren't any Topless beaches that I know of on Oahu. It is the most populated and contributes most to Tourism, and so it isn't around. That's not to say you won't see topless women, but there are not beaches designated for it.

If you have never surfed before, and you are there in the Summer(which I'm assuming you are going to be) then BY GOD YOU MUST LEARN HOW TO SURF ON WAIKIKI BEACH. I mean, shit, its the mother of surfing. It really is a great experience, and it would also allow you to meet some people too(if you do a group lesson).
    Last edited by Cruise; 7/19/2010 at 11:24 am.

[/url]BRING BACK :NECKBEARD: CREW

Entense Supporter
    Thanks for the advice. Got here a couple of days ago its been cool so far. Did some snorkeling and learned to surf. One round of golf is basically 160 holy fuck but its worth it. Met some girls from University of Hawaii they seem to be on top of things including me last night...zing. But im posting from my iphone so ill keep tabs on this thread, would definitely use any more tips.