User Tag List

Thread: Genetica - vBulletin Theme (large pictures ITT)

Entense Supporter

Genetica - vBulletin Theme (large pictures ITT)

Well this is a couple-year-old project of mine, but I thought that I would share it here. I made this when I was at the peak of my graphic-designing, and since then I've kind of strayed away from it and rarely open up photoshop anymore. Life got in the way

But here, I present to you "Genetica", a theme that I started designing more than 3 or 4 years ago. I have lost the original paper sketch, but you can see it in the first picture.

I waited more than a year after the sketch to actually attempt designing it, so that I could do it justice instead of completely ruining it with subpar quality designing.

This was in no way meant to be an actual functioning vBulletin theme, but, well, let the pictures tell the story.

__________________________________________________ ___

First started designing it in Photoshop. I was using CS2 back then lol. You can see the original sketch in the background

Everything basically designed, with the left half mirrored onto the right. Some small changes made to a lot of things. Texture and reflections added to the metal

This is what the navbar would look like on the "hover" state

Navbar & main orb reworked a little. Lighting, shading, and more color added throughout. Finally made the background opaque

The biggest jump in difference; sorry, i lost the in-betweens lol. Navbar completed, asymmetrical atmosphere lighting, sidebar redone, asymmetrical textures, blue under-lighting, improved metal textures and reflections. Also started working on the actual board theme.

I haven't worked on this since sometime in 2009 (the last screenshot is from a while ago), and I don't know when I'm going to get around to it. I haven't started designing the footer, or finished coding it. I had never coded a vB theme before this, and it was a PITA for sure, but a learning experience. This is basically my last "real" photoshop design

The whole design/coding/living-at-vB-tech-support ordeal was very fun though.

Comments and critiques welcome.
    This is not for you.

It's cool conceptually. I think it could be interesting if you cleaned it up and made it photoreal. Too busy for my taste, but I can appreciate what you've done.

Entense Supporter
    I know what you mean. The graphic design site that I learned from was very into tech-stuff. I could've made it photoreal probably by designing it in a 3D program, but I prefer to use solely photoshop for my designs. This is some other stuff I've churned out, you can see the style I've gotten from that site:

This is not for you.

Cool man, I really dig the Angels one.. take that flare down a bit, and you've got something I'd fly on my site....

Master of Posting Bukkake Senshi's Avatar
    Awesome. Something I always wanted achieve with photoshop right here in this thread. Makes me want to fire it up and give it a shot.
    いくつかの戦士たちは激しいように見えますが、軽度である。中には臆病なようですが、
    悪質である。外見を越えて見る。利点のためにあなた自身を配置します。

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    (artist formerly known as djdevil)

Entense Supporter
    Do it! it's a lot of fun opening up photoshop after a long hiatus
    This is not for you.

Holy shit I rule! PM ME FOR REDDIT LINKS's Avatar
    I remember my days on photoshop too, although I was in no way as good as this stuff. But yeah I'm more minimalistic these days, and this is extremely busy.
    SpearFishing Crew

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilulz View Post
    I remember my days on photoshop too, although I was in no way as good as this stuff. But yeah I'm more minimalistic these days, and this is extremely busy.
    I learned photoshop at a very "busy"ish design site, so that's been my style ever since I started
    This is not for you.

Entense Supporter
    Can't say I like it at all, BUT, that's just my personal preference...for people into this type of board style, concept, I would say it looks really good.

I think there is too much contrast between the colors of the side orbs and the main orb, weird blues IMO on the main orb.

I can't really do much better myself but from my perspective that's what I took from it. Not really a big fan of those style boards either...