User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 7d/365 - qben9354

thanks man, yeah they are a bit all over the place, and im utilizing this first month to kinda abuse processing to learn it in and out, but def enjoying myself

the lochness and the flower one are part of our print shops photoshoot, were getting our online store off the ground and decided the best way to handle that was pile everyone in a minivan with backpacks full of beer and tshirts. and that pirate hat.
    Originally posted by Nok
    guys give him a break he goes to art school

Originally posted by Nok

not final color for store, but favorite
    Originally posted by Nok

I like what you've done in this thread. I have a question: in this post (the first 2 shots), and the 2 posts above this one, you have kinda vintage processing. How did you do that? I really like the processing, but I'm not sure how it's done. I'm guessing you're desaturating some, but then what?

This post, too.

[edit]
    Google has actually turned up some interesting things. http://blog.celebrationpackages.com/...to-create.html in particular is quite nice.
    Last edited by Dr. Fangs404; 8/17/2010 at 1:22 pm.

aw man thanks dude, i literally have the 7d in my hands/lap all day haha.

but yeah, lightroom has been like crack for me. i asked shibby for a good mac photo management program and he hooked it up with the quickness. haha i almost wish he didnt though because of the ease of pulling out awesome from images. its basically just photoshop with the more specific things youd want to tweak right in front of you though. I can do more with ps but this is faster imo.

so for the devarney vid with the bird, that has a lot to do with the lighting in the room, which is piss poor. all super old yellowstyle lightbulbs and such, and no windows. so that definitely plays a role, but then as far as pulling that soft wash over it, its a mix of pulling down the contrast/sat/slight bit of exposure, a slight bit of green tint to give it that older processed feel.

then in the split toning area, chose some good complementary colors that work with the image, so for this its green and purple and playing with their individual saturation to taste. then going back playing with the blacks at the very end to crush it as i see fit

keep in mind, im making these rules up as i go, so, you know, they might not be correct in their reasoning/terminology but ive been enjoying myself.

before and after dealio

Play around with them like whoa, then once you have a good understanding, try and use some of the packaged presets to give you a new starting point and back them down in various areas as they are all disgusting. best part of lightroom is how easy it is to define a style, then apply it to other images super quick and easy
    Originally posted by Nok

awesome, i'm gonna play around with that some then. i haven't messed with split toning yet, so i'll look into that.

schwing! you can pull some reaaally awesome stuff out of your images with split toning. Although I will be the first to admit how retarded it is that i spend so much time and effort making my pictures look older or different than how they actually look, but going too far in any one direction early on has actually helped me out immensely now when im looking to change something specific

side note:

just made and shot some MEANNN business cards

jimmyjam if you can hear this. how can I awkwardly bat away chromatic aberration? not a big issue yet, but its certainly running rampant through this picture
    Last edited by qben9354; 8/18/2010 at 1:29 am.
    Originally posted by Nok

wow man im really diggin the style of images you take. especially those vintage ones. keep it up

and that business card is probably one of the coolest ive ever seen ha your name on it really pops out

awesome! thanks man, and yeah im pretty pumped on the business card. hopefully gonna stand out on a crowded counter
    Originally posted by Nok

Yeah aberration is a bitch dude. The only way you can really get rid of it is one of two ways. First is by messing with the Photoshop lens distortion filter effects dialogue. Once you calibrate for your lens there you'll be able to save out a preset and apply it to fix about 85-95% of your shots. OR there is a barbaric method, where you separate your file into RGB channels and daintily shift them using smudge and clone away your woes. I wouldn't recommend this if your still sane. That being said you can reduce the amount by shooting your stuff slightly underexposed and try to keep an eye on your histogram when you shoot making sure nothing is spiking too hard. Once you get those hotspots the database gone and it's over. Dig?

dug

wandering around in the back of the studio looking for treasures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtfUi50Jb_o

didnt find any but did find some old cart with wheels on the walk back and, well, yup

wanna do this again with one other person so I can atleast have a funny reveal next to that pink wall or something. bit of a holdmeover til we get something cool to shoot in this gnarly place
    Last edited by qben9354; 8/19/2010 at 11:27 pm.
    Originally posted by Nok

Entense Supporter
    1. What's the music in the last vid?

2. How do you find the AF working out? I get my 5d on Monday and I'm a little nervous about that but can't wait to shoot some video

3. What do you recommend for video editing?

My Flickr
    My Gear: 5D MK II, 24 L f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 L f/4 580 EX II ||| Gamertag: ryizfly PSN: ryisfly || G's sig generator

1. music on the last vid is cocorosie - noah's ark. we were working to that album the whole night, it felt appropriate

2. i have yet to use af, cant help ya there

3. video editing, if your on a mac id say final cut all the way. theres a few steps involved i can walk you through before your footage is set up for editing, but if that sentence already turns you off, i think premiere cs5 lets you edit natively without any transcoding. not 100% sure about that though
    Originally posted by Nok

Entense Supporter
    haha yeah I've officially had my hands on the mk II for a couple of hours and manual focusing is much better than the AF, not shabby at all

no Mac :-/ guess I'll have to find something else, but yeah any advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated

My Flickr
    My Gear: 5D MK II, 24 L f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 L f/4 580 EX II ||| Gamertag: ryizfly PSN: ryisfly || G's sig generator

I'll edit this later, I'm on a shoot right now, but incase you want to shoot now,

With video, you want to keep your shutter roughly double your fps, so if your shooting 30 frames a second, which I think is default on that cam, you want your shutter at 60. Shooting at 60p, you want your shutter at 120 or whatevers closest. Not sure you can shoot at 24p with the 5d but if you can, do it. Shutter at 50. Unless you've got flickering, like on a monitor, upping to 60 has taken care of that for me.

I'll add more to this later. As well as picz. Were shooting on the red!

edit: bonerjamz

Last edited by qben9354; 8/21/2010 at 7:58 pm.
    Originally posted by Nok

Entense Supporter
    haha yeah you are DEFINITELY going to have to elaborate

I'll show you a test video I did later, don't want to thread jack though! I'm really getting the manual focus down okay now

edit:

nice pics bro

must be awesome being a part of that

oh yeah! also, the 5d can do 24p b/c of a firmware update... been filming on it alone, industry standard or something right? (i literally know nothing about video)
    Last edited by laowai; 8/21/2010 at 8:30 pm.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ballsonur4head View Post

3. What do you recommend for video editing?
    Hey man, If you want to know about making some good choices in editing your video on a pc, I'd look into using either After Effects, which in my opinion is going to be a little more time consuming but give you greater freedom in the end, or just sticking with premiere pro. Both are Adobe programs, and pretty much about as easy as it gets to use but have unlimited potential.

If you just want to brainlessly shoot and edit video and not give a crap about all the extra money you poured into a pro grade DSLR and get mediocre video out of it, then stop reading here and feel free to fumble through at your own peril. Otherwise, I'll hook you up with a few things that may otherwise take you a few months to figure out or less depending on how much you care or how savvy you are.

You are going to need to become familiar with the word codec, and understand what a codec is if you don't already. I assume you don't because of the following post:

Quote Originally Posted by ballsonur4head View Post
    oh yeah! also, the 5d can do 24p b/c of a firmware update... been filming on it alone, industry standard or something right? (i literally know nothing about video)
    So check it out then: A codec is a device or computer program capable of encoding and/or decoding a digital data stream or signal by definition of the Wikipedia. YOUR camera captures a video stream using the latest implementation of Apples h.264 codec. This is an incredibly aggressive compression method and therefore will render most of your footage fairly butchered when it comes to color/fidelity/value. I won't get into it on this post, just simply noting that while the camera takes good video relatively, it's still a camera built for stills, so you WILL run into limitations shooting video on it.

If you're still reading this, I imagine you are wondering what this has to do with you shooting video? Well as I had mentioned previously in less words, you'll most likely want to keep the quality of the video you shoot as pristine as possible since there is no raw-uncompressed footage at your disposal. Think of it as reducing the amount of smudge when you make a copy from a copy. The only thing you can really do to reduce the artifacts from compressing your footage multiple times is by using what is called an intermediate codec in conjunction with your editing software of choice. The next thing you should do is stop reading this post, and continue to read through this thread over on www.dvinfo.net It's a pretty comprehensive and well laid out thread where people are dealing with what comes next after you get the "what software" question answered.

Hope you find it helpful man. I know it's a lot to process, but make sure you read up on it, and you'll save yourself a LOT of headaches later. It's all just fucking numbers and math behind the digital images, and if you do the math wrong you get the wrong answer you know?

That being said, As far as frame rates go, there's a few "industry standards"

24 = most film, and cinematic pictures prefer this standard. Hollywood uses this for all cinema.

30 or 29.97 = broadcast pictures on television. This shit sucks. I hate dealing with it because it degrades your picture quality by producing alternating scanlines that interleave. This is what causes those weird funny edges that look like comb teeth when you pause television on every third frame. Also known as telecine or 2-3 pulldown It's just the way stuff goes out for television and is just a flat out pain in the ass. So keep it 24progressive unless you have to shoot something that requires you shoot at 29.97 That way you can just do your pulldown at the end if it needs to go to broadcast, and not have to deal with it during any edit or post production.

That's it for now man, Can't wait to see what you're shooting with it.

jesus haha, way to scare him off bud.

WAIT! DONT GO! JIMMY DOESNT GET OUT MUCH!

easy to imbibe words:

shooting:

1. definitely shoot 24p for everything, unless you want to shoot 60p to get some slower motion stuff. NEXT.

2. Careful with quick or erratic camera moves. always plan your shots out. dslr's have an issue with this thing called rolling shutter, and it is heavily apparent when you do 'grandpa cam' style shooting without purpose, where your just whipping the camera around looking at whatever is around you. when you do stuff like that, a straight line like that of a building, or a soccer goal post, starts to get distorted almost like it was jello moving quickly in one direction

its definitely not the worst thing in the world and can usually be avoided with a bit of planning, but not always.

3. like i said before, keep your shutter following the 180 rule, so for 24p keep it at 50 or 60 if you need to, 60p = 120 and so on and so forth. done.

editing:

1. if your on a pc, i would say premiere is the way to go. I have to strongly disagree with jimmy on the after effects as a good editing platform for you though. Your just starting out, you don't need the precision attack guns yet, thats just going to cause more issues for you. get someone in REQ to up cs5 master for you so you have both when you need it though.

2. get used to the timeline, start loading clips in and shuffling them around in your timeline to get a sense of how editing works.

3. exporting is a art unto itself. export settings depend entirely on what your looking to do with the final video as there is no real universal standard for exporting video. google or myself can help you out with this if you run amuck

post that vid
    Originally posted by Nok

hahah it's true, I don't get out that much lately.

more pics from the shoot

Originally posted by Nok