User Tag List

Thread: Norway/Sweden

Entense Supporter

Norway/Sweden

I'm interested in being a stereotypical American and would like to do some traveling in Europe. My great-grandfather immigrated to the U.S. from Norway, so I figured I would use that as a starting point. If anyone has lives in or traveled to Norway and/or Sweden and could list a few things to see and do that would be great!

Wellll, theres plenty of nature/mountains to see. I don't know what areas of Norway you're planning on visiting but the typical attractions are Jotunheimen, Preikestolen, Trollstigen.

The island of Svalbard is a place I'd like to visit myself (where the polar bears are, you won't see them strolling the streets on the mainland ).

Finnmark and the really northern counties is where you'd have to go to see the midnight sun and northern lights.

As far as what cities to visit I've always prefered Bergen and Kristiansand over Oslo, which I think is a shithole. Stavanger is supposed to be really nice too, but I've never been there personally (thats where you'll find Preikestolen).

Hurtigruten is a cruise you can take along the coast (always wanted to go) but its pretty expensive.

Obviously you won't be able to see ALL these places cause you'd need a looot of time and money but hopefully you'll get a few ideas from these links.

Also, make sure to stop by a McDonalds while you're in Oslo cause then you can brag about having eaten the worlds most expensive Big Mac at $7.20

I have lots of Seniority spigel's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    depending on when you're going, check out an Elitserien game. The crowds are nuts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitserien

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKwLLB0Qvro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H10firolYLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCucIylGKE

^^^^GO TO 4:45 FOR SOMETHING HILARIOUS, THERE'S A BACKSTORY BEHIND THIS^^^^^^^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqH_cL_IAiA
    Last edited by spigel; 7/31/2010 at 10:21 am.

RIP Алексей Черепанов

Entense Supporter
    Thanks pixie! I'll check those links out mr vela

I recommend the real Europe unless you have family in Norway, like nature (and outdoorsy activities), vikings, or bland food for ridiculous prices. And don't come during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by erectij View Post
    I recommend the real Europe unless you have family in Norway, like nature (and outdoorsy activities), vikings, or bland food for ridiculous prices. And don't come during winter.
    Don't listen to this man. It's all what you make of it.

But I do agree with seeing the rest of Europe while you're here. The north east parts of France are beautiful.

Yeah don't listen to me I just lived in Europe and moved to Norway last year. I don't know shit about fuck.

Yeah don't listen to me I just lived in Europe and moved to Norway last year. I don't know shit about fuck.
    lol Lighten up.

My point was that Norway isn't such a bad place and it probably won't be for him since he obviously wants to come here.
    Why did you move here?

Entense Supporter
    I don't have family living in Norway (that I know of). I figured it would be a step away from the usual Europe trips. (Though they may be that way for a reason).

Entense Supporter
    LOL Nick, wtf is going on in that video hahaha. And yeah that crowd looks insane.

What are you looking to get out of your trip? A Europe trip at our age typically consists of going to cities to sightsee during the day and party at night. You get to meet cool new people from all over the world at cheap hotels and hostels and hopefully pick up one or two interesting STDs.

You won't really get that by coming here. First off, only old Germans come here and they only come to fish and look at old churches. Also, the cities aren't really cities, but rather large towns. Oslo, their bustling metropolis, weighs in at half a million people (Bergen 250k, Stavanger 180k). You can find stuff to do and see in all the cities here, but it won't compare to say Prague, London, or Paris. And while I'm sure you can meet plenty of people, Norway isn't exactly the number one spot on the backpacking circuit that most people take.

Another huge factor is money. It's hard to describe how expensive EVERYTHING is here. I recently took a trip back home to Portland and I spent almost $5k on shit to bring back because it would cost so much more here. Even if you're strict about budgeting, you'll want to eat out every now and again. I went out for lunch with my wife to a mediocre Italian restaurant and got their special lunch deal. We paid 300 NOK ($50). A beer will cost you at least 60 NOK ($10, usually 80 NOK). Hotels are outrageous. Taxis. Buses (their public transportation system sucks compared to mainland Europe). Everything is expensive as all fuck. The flip side to this is that people get paid relatively well, but that doesn't help you much unless you plan to move here.

That said, Norway is a very beautiful country. Driving around even to and from the airport can be breathtaking in both winter and summer. If beautiful natural vistas, mountaineering, skiing, hiking, etc are your cup of tea, then I may recommend it a little more. Actually, I could recommend spending about a tenth of what you would in Norway and flying up to Alaska.

Hit me up with any questions, though I'm far from a travel guide.

And regarding:

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePixie View Post
    lol Lighten up.

My point was that Norway isn't such a bad place and it probably won't be for him since he obviously wants to come here.
    Why did you move here?
    I was drunk as a skunk when I wrote that, sorry. I moved here to go to grad school (NTNU) and more likely than not stay for good because my wife is Norwegian.

I was drunk as a skunk when I wrote that, sorry. I moved here to go to grad school (NTNU) and more likely than not stay for good because my wife is Norwegian.
    No worries.

Cooper; erectij has some pretty good points in his last post, esp. the money aspect. That's one thing I never really think about, being born and raised here it's what I'm used to so I've never really considered it particularly expensive.
    If you're staying in Oslo and don't mind simple accommodations though, consider Perminalen. It's cheap (by our standards) with rooms starting at $102 a night (lol).
    Last edited by LittlePixie; 8/01/2010 at 1:34 pm. Reason: Typo

I have lots of Seniority spigel's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    LOL Nick, wtf is going on in that video hahaha. And yeah that crowd looks insane.
    http://www.thelocal.se/15138.html

http://welcometosweden.blogspot.com/...sh-sports.html

RIP Алексей Черепанов

Holy shit I rule! PM ME FOR REDDIT LINKS's Avatar
    Come visit me in Germany
    SpearFishing Crew

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilulz View Post
    Come visit me in Germany
    Random... but my mom called me today shortly after I spoke with her about Sweden/Norway ideas. Her BFFs husband used to be stationed in the army, in Germany, and has a home there as well as in the States. We are apparently welcome to use it any time, as long as we pay to have a professional cleaning service come after haha. (serious). A free place to stay may have me going to Germany, too.

Holy shit I rule! PM ME FOR REDDIT LINKS's Avatar
    If worst came to worst my mom has an apartment that she only uses like 2 days a week.
    SpearFishing Crew

Elite Member
    Otherwise come to Denmark! Still expensive, but bigger cities and more to do. And closer to everything else.

But Norway is beautiful. I have been atleast 10-15 times, both summer and winter.

You should check the ferry between Oslo and Copenhagen, sometimes they have Rockcruises with some decent concerts...