User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best gun for home defense?

Entense Supporter

Best gun for home defense?

I'm moving out and want a gun both for the range and home defense. I looked at shotguns because they're cheap, reliable and effective, but if I ever had to use it wouldn't it blow my house apart? Anyway, any other gun ideas would help
    crew
    My FlickrCanon Crew: Canon 5D MkII, Canon 7D, Canon 5Dc, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Canon 580EXII, (2) Vivitar 285HV

Elite Member
    This discussion could go on forever.

My personal opinion is as follows.

Rifles are going to penetrate interior walls and possibly exterior so I wouldn't use them.

Hand guns are great if you are comfortable with them. They store easily and in a small lock box.

Shotguns are great because of the spread they have. Easy for an inexperienced shooter to hit a target even when nervous.

A shotgun w/ 2 3/4" Bird Shot would be the way to go. not alot of mass in the pellets to go through walls however effective enough to stop a possible threat.

Keep in mind that it's not always the gun you choose, it's the ammo. I have a Remington 870 for Home defense, my first round is a cheap bird shot round to scare someone off, all 5 rounds after the first are Personal Defense Buck Shot.

Yeah I would definitely say shotgun. And I'd be more worried about living than a hole in a wall lol. Shotgun is good too because your gf/wife can use it too without much training besides point barrel at bad guy and shoot. Are you moving into a bad area or is this just more for peace of mind?

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Anti View Post
    Yeah I would definitely say shotgun. And I'd be more worried about living than a hole in a wall lol. Shotgun is good too because your gf/wife can use it too without much training besides point barrel at bad guy and shoot. Are you moving into a bad area or is this just more for peace of mind?
    You need to be concerned about the hole in the wall especially if you have an individual on the other side of the wall.

Ex. Girlfriend stays in bedroom you go out take a shot it goes through the wall and hits her.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by The Anti View Post
    Actually no, it's a pretty good neighborhood. But I had bad experiences last time I lived on my own so yea this is for peace of mind

Quote Originally Posted by Lexis View Post
    You need to be concerned about the hole in the wall especially if you have an individual on the other side of the wall.

Ex. Girlfriend stays in bedroom you go out take a shot it goes through the wall and hits her.
    Pretty much what I was saying
    crew
    My FlickrCanon Crew: Canon 5D MkII, Canon 7D, Canon 5Dc, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Canon 580EXII, (2) Vivitar 285HV

where you moving sam? i have never met anyone in the ville who was the victim of a home invasion.

Entense Supporter
    The Highlands. Like I said, I'm looking for something both for fun and home defense.

I used to live down by UofL and there was all kinda of rough shit. This neighborhood is infinitely better, but I'm still interested
    crew

smart move. have you already gotten a place or just starting to look? i am going to be back in the highlands hopefully by winter. i had never lived anywhere else until we bought our house in germantown.

Entense Supporter
    Moving in late September, already found a place
    crew

Quote Originally Posted by NASzi View Post
    A shotgun w/ 2 3/4" Bird Shot would be the way to go. not alot of mass in the pellets to go through walls however effective enough to stop a possible threat.

Keep in mind that it's not always the gun you choose, it's the ammo. I have a Remington 870 for Home defense, my first round is a cheap bird shot round to scare someone off, all 5 rounds after the first are Personal Defense Buck Shot.

Almost the same here.

1. Bird Shot
    2. Buck Shot
    3. Buck Shot
    4. Slug
    5. Slug

Great gun. I love my 870. We use them at work as well.

EF Cop Crew: Irishhammer, DeathaKiss, chillestbrocop, Retired Copper: Trinic

My Mossberg 500 is loaded: 2 3/4" #00 Buck * 3, 3" 000 Buck * 3
    I didn't really intend to load it this way. I just happened to get a few free boxes of ammo and these were 2 of them. In a perfect world Id like to load 2 3/4" BB shot Only because I live in an urban area and don't want over penetration. If I was in my own home and had no nearby neighbors, Id be rocking something like 00 buck without a concern.
    Last edited by coudos; 8/04/2010 at 9:10 pm.

Somewhat Poster
    I have both a Mossberg 500 shotgun and a Ruger SR9c 9mm handgun. If you don't want holes in your walls and you're a good shot, a handgun with hollow points is a good idea. I'm nuts though, I have 00 buckshot in my shotgun. Fuck my walls. A pistol grip shotgun is bad for the range though, just a warning. You'll have your hand hurting after a few shots because of how hard you have to hold it. I learned from personal experience. =\

Elite Whore
    For home defense, you're generally looking at an autoloader pistol (aka not a revolver) or a shotgun - either pump or semi. With pistols, the best ammo is slow velocity (sub 1000fps), heavy grain, heavy expansion. This way, your bullets do the maximum amount of expansion and do not over penetrate. Missed shots expand quickly and stop quickly due to the expansion and slow speed. You can get rounds like these for any normal centerfire pistol caliber from .380 and up.

For shotguns, I hear that #000 shot works the best. Birdshot is best left for hunting birds. Low brass #00 would be fine too, as it's generally harder to locate quality #000 shot.

Seriously, in a home defense situation, liability of your shots is right up there with your own safety. Rocking out with 3inch magnum 12ga 1oz slugs or any type of rifle round seems pretty hardcore, but is going to zip through A LOT of drywall and keep going for a long time.

Just the cocking sound of a 12 gauge would scare most away in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by richie View Post
    Just the cocking sound of a 12 gauge would scare most away in my opinion.
    Yeah but thats an additional step. Id rather be cocked and locked. There a chance it jams while racking it. My Mossy 12 does it alot if loaded to capacity, I keep 1 in the chamber and 5 in the tube.

I am moving into a shitty area in 2 weeks and am contemplating getting a shotgun for home defense. It's a college town area in the city but it is pretty shitty with degenerate welfare african americans. I cannot count the number of people I know that have been robbed so I have shot a lot of skeet and stuff before but not sure of the shot for home defense. I hear a lot of people saying birdshot but dont they also make those non-lethal shotgun cartridges as well?

Quote Originally Posted by kunzeeboy View Post
    I am moving into a shitty area in 2 weeks and am contemplating getting a shotgun for home defense. It's a college town area in the city but it is pretty shitty with degenerate welfare african americans. I cannot count the number of people I know that have been robbed so I have shot a lot of skeet and stuff before but not sure of the shot for home defense. I hear a lot of people saying birdshot but dont they also make those non-lethal shotgun cartridges as well?
    Less lethal isn't a good idea imo. If you use them then you're opening yourself up to some retaliation. As for what shot to use, the most common type of shot is 12 gauge #00 Buck, but studies have shown that #1 Buck is more effective.

Entensity Vet
    There is not really a best gun for home defense. Just get something that is easy to use and you are comfortable with. Personally I have a Mossberg .500 12 Gauge, and a Taurus 24/7 .40cal by the bed. I never thing I will have to use them considering I live in La Grange.

Someone posts A LOT SpongerAtHeart's Avatar
    remington 870 tactical. But honestly, why are you worried about damage to your house? Heaven forbid you ever have to actually use it, putting up some sheet rock the next day should be the least of your concerns