User Tag List

Thread: European Trip Planning (how much to save)

European Trip Planning (how much to save)

I want to begin saving for a trip to Europe, but I need to know how much I should plan for, so I can go right when I hit that mark. It will be my girlfriend and I, and I would like to stay for a week or two. Not exactly sure where I want to go, but we would probably just stay in and around London.

Including airfare, hotels and food, how much do you guys think I need?
    Faggot better run

Someone posts A LOT Shlong Connery's Avatar
    if it's your first time, i think you need to ditch your girlfriend and go with some guy friends to be honest lol but you'll probably need AT LEAST 5g's.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlong Connery View Post
    if it's your first time, i think you need to ditch your girlfriend and go with some guy friends to be honest lol but you'll probably need AT LEAST 5g's.
    that's bullshit

depending on the time of year, airfare will be 800-1200 per person to london. if you stay in hostels you can get rates as low as $4 per person per night. nicer hostels will be closer to $15-50 per night. i'd stick with the nicer ones because they are safer. the rest depends on what you wanna do. food money for 2 weeks will be about $400-600 depending on what you get obviously. transportation is inexpensive if you plan it wisely. the chunnel to paris is like 250-350 per person.

so let's say airfare: $1200
    food for 2 weeks: $700 MAX
    transporation for 2 weeks: $500
    lodging @ $50pp/pn: $700

you're looking at about $3,000 and honestly you can go a lot cheaper, just depends on the arrangements you make. for example: if you decide to go to edinburgh from london, see if they offer a sleeper train. that takes care of a night of lodging and transportation in one fee. if you go to ireland, fly ryanair. if you go to paris, it might be cheaper to fly a budget airline than taking the eurostar.

something i didn't factor in is alcohol. if you're planning on drinking a lot, you'll have to calculate that yourself because that cost varies greatly.
    Latest 3 Flickr uploads:

Gouranga's flickr sig generator

Southern California--> Durham, NC (Duke University)
    i went to europe last december- i think i can help. here's the breakdown of our budget:

airfare: $500 roundtrip from lax-lhr, www.studentuniverse.com, booked in august for a december trip.

hostels: $15-25 a night per person--i'm not sure if you want to get a real hotel or anything; if so, expect to blow maybe $100+ a night. private doubles at a hostel are around $30 a person. $30 x 2 (people) x 7 (nights) = $420.

but really, we couchsurfed 70% of the time we were there and that saved us a whole bunch of money. www.couchsurfing.org

transporation: ryanair or easyjet-- they have fares for around 5 euros sometimes, so keep on eye out for those. however, they charge $5 if you use a credit card and sometimes, tax kills the deal. it really depends where you want to go. we went for 22 days and our total for ryanair turned out to be $260 (i just pulled up my spreadsheet). www.ryanair.com , www.easyjet.com

we took the train from brussels to bruges and from bruges to amsterdam. tickets were like 12 euros each way.

food: we usually bought a loaf of bread in the morning, bought $5 sandwiches/sausages and maybe spent $10 for a shitty dinner. but hey, it saved us money. food wasn't really an issue for us. i'm gonna say $500 max for our three weeks. i wouldn't recommend this-- we missed out on a lot of good food because we were cheap college kids.

alcohol: like paradox said, if you're in europe, you're gonna go out. you can't NOT go out. if you get 2 drinks each for you and your girlfriend, that's around $35+ a night. pregame to make it worth it.

misc. events: if you plan to go on walking tours, they might be free (but you've gotta tip them). i bought the berlin pass for 25 euros, the jameson whiskey factory tour was 12.50 euros, the louvre was free because i went on the third sunday or something, the catacombs beneath paris was 5 euros, miscellaneous museums were like 5 euros each. it adds up.

i've gotta total all of that up.

well, personally, i spent around $1500-$1700 for the entire trip. we were on a shoestring budget, but we got to see london, bologna, florence, barcelona, brussels, bruges, amsterdam, berlin and paris. it just really depends on how big you want to go.

damn dude that's pretty good for 3 weeks and all those places. nice job. i personally couldn't do the food that way or couch surf but the rest is a good example of transportation and stuff on the cheap
    Latest 3 Flickr uploads:

Gouranga's flickr sig generator

Holy shit I rule! PM ME FOR REDDIT LINKS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorgy69 View Post

well, personally, i spent around $1500-$1700 for the entire trip. we were on a shoestring budget, but we got to see london, bologna, florence, barcelona, brussels, bruges, amsterdam, berlin and paris. it just really depends on how big you want to go.
    Lol 12 euros from Brussels to Amsterdam either you got an insanely good deal (practically impossible) or you're lying. It also means you probably didn't drink at all or again you're lying. 1500-1700 in europe with flight and all... lol you can't eat decently or drink for that much.
    SpearFishing Crew

Southern California--> Durham, NC (Duke University)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilulz View Post
    Lol 12 euros from Brussels to Amsterdam either you got an insanely good deal (practically impossible) or you're lying. It also means you probably didn't drink at all or again you're lying. 1500-1700 in europe with flight and all... lol you can't eat decently or drink for that much.
    definitely not lying. we barely bought any drinks at bars- we pregamed every single night we went out.

and it's true, i told you we didn't eat decently- we either tore a piece off of our loaf of bread or we had free breakfast at the hostel.

as for the trains, they were the prices that we were given- no exaggeration.

Holy shit I rule! PM ME FOR REDDIT LINKS's Avatar
    Also you can come and meet me and Notoriety at Oktoberfest.
    SpearFishing Crew

I went for 2 months in the summer of 2007. I spent about $10,000 but I saw an awful lot and ate when I was hungry.

$750 return airfare to Gatwick.
    $1200 rail pass for those 2 months

The rest was souvenirs, food, drinks and attractions.

My girlfriend did the exact same things as me but ate and drank a lot less and ended up only spending $8000.

When we were in London we stayed with a friend but others we spoke to were paying 20 pounds or so for a hostel there. Food is stupidly expensive in London so if you can find an Asda or something to buy cheap food and use the hostel kitchen to cook. Speaking of which... sometimes it's cheaper to pay more for a hostel with a kitchen than to cheap out and get one without since eating out will cost you an arm and a leg.
    Canon Crew: EOS Digital Rebel XT, EOS 7D, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX
    Originally posted by craY
    Your guy... however, is a drug user muslim terrorist nigger useless "present" piece of nigger shit. I hope you enjoy nov 15 you losing piece of shit
    Quote Originally Posted by makaw View Post
    I will penetrate your anus if you say another word

my wife and i are going to europe for 2 weeks this christmas. we have been saving for a long ass time, i would suggest saving about 5k also.

so far, this is what we have spent.

round trip tickets from austin-amsterdam cost about 900 each,

then we also bought a 'railpass', which was about $350 per peson (this is 5 days of unlimited train travel while in europe. we are going to be going from netherlands, germany, austria, switzerland).

so, thats about 2500 just on getting there and back.

we are going to be staying for 12 days, so we expect plan to bring another 2000 (euros). that only equals about 160ish euros a day, which isnt much considering that has to buy 3 meals and a place to sleep for 2 people. i know yall will probably recommend hostiles, but this is going to be around christmas time, so we figure there might be a night or two that we wont be able to find a hostile with any room, and will have to hit up a hotel.

the big thing to remember, is that everything in euro costs, duh, euros. and euros go fuckin fast.

oh ya, anti and anyone else from europe, my wife and i will be in the following cities during december of this year. lemme know if yall wanna meet up and show us the town lol. amsterdam, berlin, frankfort,stuttgart, munich, nuremburg, salzburg, and zuruck
    Last edited by ofarrellnavy; 8/16/2010 at 3:03 pm.
    ________ / \
    ____ _/__\_

When you're in Amsterdam, Berlin, and Munich make sure you go on a free walking tour! When you're in Salzburg and you're choosing between the salt mine and the ice caves... go to the ice caves!
    Canon Crew: EOS Digital Rebel XT, EOS 7D, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX
    Originally posted by craY
    Your guy... however, is a drug user muslim terrorist nigger useless "present" piece of nigger shit. I hope you enjoy nov 15 you losing piece of shit
    Quote Originally Posted by makaw View Post
    I will penetrate your anus if you say another word