User Tag List

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 College Football Thread

Entense Supporter

Official 2010 College Football Thread

Well, that time of year is upon us again. The AP poll just came out today, and since we're basically 2 weeks away from the season starting, I think we can start to talk about it, dream about, gloat, predicate, and fume about our respective college football teams!

AP Poll:
    via http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

AP: Alabama No. 1, Ohio St. No. 2
    Alabama will start this season where it ended last season.

The Crimson Tide is on top.

Coach Nick Saban has the Tide rolling the way Bear Bryant did in his day, first in The Associated Press preseason poll for the first time since 1978.

Alabama received 54 of 60 first-place votes from the media panel and 1,491 points to easily outdistance second-ranked Ohio State in the Top 25 released Saturday.

The Buckeyes, who have been ranked no lower than 11th in the last eight preseason polls, received three first-place votes.

Boise State is third, its best preseason ranking, following another undefeated season. Underdogs no more, the Broncos even received one first-place vote.

Florida, Alabama's Southeastern Conference rival, is fourth. Fifth-ranked Texas received a first-place vote.

The rest of the top 10 has TCU sixth, followed by Oklahoma, which received a first-place vote, Nebraska, Iowa and Virginia Tech.

The 10th-ranked Hokies face Boise State at FedEx Field, home of the Washington Redskins, on Labor Day night in the season's first huge game.

As for Alabama, Bryant was coach the last time the Crimson Tide was the AP's preseason No. 1. The Tide started and finished that 1978 season on top of the rankings, the first of two straight national championships for Alabama. The only other time Alabama was preseason No. 1 was 1966, when Bear's boys were coming off back-to-back national championships.

Saban's Tide, led by Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram, will try to make Alabama the first program to win back-to-back AP titles three times. Oklahoma and Nebraska also have done it twice.

But please don't call Alabama the defending champion - at least not in front of its coach.

"What was accomplished by last year's team has nothing to do with this year's team. The players have to understand that," said Saban, who in three seasons has fully restored Alabama's status as an elite program. "This team has to develop an image, an identity of its own by its performance. What was accomplished last year is just a standard for somebody else to top.

"Complacency is why the mighty fall."

Saban has been trying to downplay this team's No. 1 worthiness since the morning after the Tide beat Texas 37-21 at the Rose Bowl to win the BCS championship.

Back in January he practically was lamenting the fact that his team likely would be preseason No. 1 in 2010, quick to point out that while the Tide's offense would be returning most of its stars, its dominant defense was facing major turnover.

Gone are All-Americans Terrence Cody, Rolando McClain, Javier Arenas and six other starters from last season.

Stepping in will be a cast of former five-star recruits and talented players who will be asked to expand their roles.

"We have confidence in our defensive players. I think it's more a matter of knowledge and experience and maturity that the defense is going to have to develop," Saban said.

Dont'a Hightower returns from a knee injury to fill McClain's spot at middle linebacker and defensive end Marcell Dareus, the star of the BCS title game, becomes the headliner up front - as long as an NCAA investigation doesn't sideline him.

"You can't really promote guys into leadership roles," Saban said. "I think that it's something that sort of grows, develops and happens because of personality types and respect that other players have."

Saban has little to worry about on the offensive side. Ingram and sidekick Trent Richardson will run behind an experienced line, so the ground game should continue to churn out big yards.

Greg McElroy returns for his second season as starting quarterback and he has plenty of enticing receivers, led by NFL prototype wideout Julio Jones.

"We played early on last season and at times during the season to protect the quarterback a little bit," Saban said. "We thought we had a really good defense and we could run the ball well, we could afford to do that. But I don't think that's going to be the case this year. We have too many good skill players on offense."

There's no doubting Alabama has the credentials to be No. 1, but poll history suggests the odds are against the Tide finishing on top again.

Only 10 of the 60 previous preseason No. 1 teams have won the national championship. And only two (Florida State in '99 and Southern California in '04) have held the top spot for the entire season.

Notable in the top 10, Nebraska has its highest preseason ranking since 2001, when the Cornhuskers started No. 4.

"That really doesn't have much to do with where we are now and what we have to accomplish and something we're not in control of as a football team," Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said. "That is a positive that we're up there a little bit higher than in years past."

The second 10 in the preseason Top 25 starts with Oregon. The defending Pac-10 champion Ducks are No. 11.

No. 12 is Wisconsin and Miami is 13th.

Southern California is No. 14. The last time the Trojans started a season outside the top 10 was 2002, Pete Carroll's second season as coach. Carroll is gone and USC is dealing with NCAA sanctions under new coach Lane Kiffin that prevent the Trojans from playing in the postseason this season.

Pittsburgh, the highest-ranked Big East team, is No. 15.

Georgia Tech, Arkansas, North Carolina, Penn State and Florida State round out the top 20.

No. 21 LSU is followed by Auburn and Georgia, giving the SEC six teams in the preseason rankings, the most of any conference. The Atlantic Coast Conference is second with five ranked teams.

Oregon State is No. 24 and West Virginia is 25.
    Who are you rooting for, who's going to win it, and who is over rated?

Someone posts A LOT
    Of course Ohio State is overrated as they are almost every year.
    Unless they start actually using Pryor's skills they're going to be another lame ass big 10 team that can't touch an SEC team.

Makes sense that Bama is #1, but I was surprised Boise is so high. Their schedule is just such bullshit that even if they came in #1 they wouldn't be able to prove they're the best team.

I really want to see how Virginia Tech does this year.

Can't wait for the season. I think this season is a lot more wide open as far as possible champs go than last season.

Someone posts A LOT
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankDatClit View Post
    Can't wait for the season. I think this season is a lot more wide open as far as possible champs go than last season.
    That's definitely true.
    Last year it was pretty much a guarantee that it would be big 12 champ vs sec champ and the sec champ would win. That's how I saw it anyway.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by brjo555 View Post
    Of course Ohio State is overrated as they are almost every year.
    Unless they start actually using Pryor's skills they're going to be another lame ass big 10 team that can't touch an SEC team.
    If you weren't from the SEC, I'd argue with you but we'll just have to wait and see.

One thing is for sure, the Big 10 is a lot better this year than they have been in years.

Someone posts A LOT
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
    If you weren't from the SEC, I'd argue with you but we'll just have to wait and see.

One thing is for sure, the Big 10 is a lot better this year than they have been in years.
    SEC has dominated the past few years; its undeniable.

Entense Supporter
    Oregon has two teams that are really good. I think the Beavers should win the Pac-10 this season. I am hoping Bama slips up late in the season and costs themselves a chance at the title, they are the best team but I just want someone new this year. I see them running the table and winning the title for the second straight year. I hope Boise state does not win one fucking game this season but that probably won't happen. They might run the table as well. They have a great squad this season.

Someone posts A LOT
    Quote Originally Posted by gWiLiKeRzZz View Post
    Oregon has two teams that are really good. I think the Beavers should win the Pac-10 this season. I am hoping Bama slips up late in the season and costs themselves a chance at the title, they are the best team but I just want someone new this year. I see them running the table and winning the title for the second straight year. I hope Boise state does not win one fucking game this season but that probably won't happen. They might run the table as well. They have a great squad this season.
    Boise is just going to be a question mark if they have to a team in a legit conference. I'm sure they can beat up on the teams in their shitty schedule but that doesn't mean much.

I'm a little surprised UF is that high, seeing as they've lost the majority of their team (read: Tim Tebow). Teblow wasn't exactly a one-man team, but he was without a doubt the driving force behind their team the past two seasons. I don't see them finishing top 20, personally, but then again I don't really pay attention to non-SEC teams preseason, so I'm no expert.

Boise is just going to be a question mark if they have to a team in a legit conference. I'm sure they can beat up on the teams in their shitty schedule but that doesn't mean much.
    Very much like the Trojans. They may win the conference just about every year, but they play shit teams. Also, that blue field hurts my eyes after 5 minutes, so no amount of awesome could get me to watch their home games.
    Last edited by Moo Strength; 8/24/2010 at 4:02 am.
    Xbox Live: OneOfThoseBlax

Someone posts A LOT
    Quote Originally Posted by Chias View Post
    I'm a little surprised UF is that high, seeing as they've lost the majority of their team (read: Tim Tebow). Teblow wasn't exactly a one-man team, but he was without a doubt the driving force behind their team the past two seasons. I don't see them finishing top 20, personally, but then again I don't really pay attention to non-SEC teams preseason, so I'm no expert.
    Their defense is still great, though. Their whole team is just fast and strong, but I think Georgia could pull out the win if our defense holds up.

Their defense is still great, though. Their whole team is just fast and strong, but I think Georgia could pull out the win if our defense holds up.
    I'll cross my fingers on that one. We should probably cross dicks too.

Bad-ass Member

lets go bcs bustin' coogs.

I love that the SEC has 6 teams in the top 25. Fucking hate it that bama is number one though, they will have a good squad this year.

I'm hoping auburn can take it for a good while, hopefully win the west in the SEC, we can only hope Our schedule is set up perfectly for us to do well, 8 home games and our away games are: ole miss, miss st, kentucky, and bama. also got cam newton for this year (was at florida but then had to go to a community college) and we have been needing a solid QB. But our fate lies in the defense.

Hoping auburn can take down brjo's bulldogs this year, its been to long my friend

That being said i feel that the Nat'l Championship will be between SEC and PAC 10. I hope lane kiffin does shitty at USC, hope Tuberville does good at texas tech. and hope they don't somehow let boise st get into the title game

PSN: Skorgilaz

Bama has a tough stretch that I havent heard many people talking about. I think its a ridiculous stretch of like 6 straight opponents coming off bye.

I grew up in Bama, but I am a rare UNC football fan and only missed 2 home games in my time there. I am pumped for this season even though we will lose Marvin Austin for 1-3 games. Im not going to predict anything too crazy, but I think there is a good chance that UNC competes for ACC title with all of the talent on D and a healthy O-line this season.

Speaking of the ACC, how about that Georgia Tech? I think it's hilarious that in our (UGA's) worst recent season, we still beat them during their best recent season.

UNC has a bye week to prepare for them and they kicked our ass last year, so I hope we make the most of it and shut down that boring ass triple option.

Someone posts A LOT
    Quote Originally Posted by poseybm View Post
    UNC has a bye week to prepare for them and they kicked our ass last year, so I hope we make the most of it and shut down that boring ass triple option.
    I'd like to see UNC beat GT. The ACC is really questionable right now so you guys could rise up.

The problem with the ACC is that the Coastal has the best teams so it is going to be really hard to make it to the Championship. VT, GT, UNC, and Miami are all in the Coastal, so I think it will be one of those four against Florida St if Christian Ponder rehabbed well and is back to old form.

Someone posts A LOT
    Quote Originally Posted by poseybm View Post
    The problem with the ACC is that the Coastal has the best teams so it is going to be really hard to make it to the Championship. VT, GT, UNC, and Miami are all in the Coastal, so I think it will be one of those four against Florida St if Christian Ponder rehabbed well and is back to old form.
    Exactly, any of those teams could win the ACC. Its hard to say whether or not they'd go to the nat'l championship if any of them go undefeated. I'd put them before the Big Ten and about on par with the Pac-10 this year.

Entense Supporter
    now: melbourne, fl. formerly: blacksburg / fairfax, va & mukilteo, wa & haleiwa, hi
    I'm really looking forward to this season.

Virginia Tech's offense is setting itself up pretty nicely. Questions on the o-line, but the rest of the offense is well established.

Our defense is obviously a big question mark--but we consistently field a top notch defense even when there are big personnel changes. 2004-2008, #4, 1, 1, 4, 6. I forget what we ended up for 2009.

Anyways, I'm going to the Boise State-VT game in two weeks and am hoping we do well. I was at the Alabama-VT game last year and we were winning pretty far into that game... hopefully we get this one done.
    Scorch105 = was my 08 New Bitch
    +27k posts on vwvortex.... EF CREW